> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> David95's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 13 2014, 04:18 AM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi David! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army! Here I will guide you in your guitar progress with weekly assignments, feedback and whatever you need to keep on working and motivated.

At first I need some info from you:

Name:
Influences:
Diary practice:
Audio or video recording possibility:

How many hours per day can you dedicate to guitar?
What do you know about theory?

and also post some videos of you playing.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David95
post Mar 13 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #2

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 15.605

Wow, my own thread ^^
To be completely honest, I found you took a while to respond ^^(probably because of your incoming gig with Metallica, congrats on that btw^^), so I also contacted Cosmin in terms of his "Personal Learning Plan" and started working with him already.
However I told him, that I also wanted to work with you, so that shouldn't be an issue (if you're ok with not being the only one in my life lol).#
After all an aditional opinion about my play can never be a bad thing, can it?^^

Onward to the Information you requested!

Name: David Siepen
Playing since: 3 or 4 years, not that sure ^^
Influences :
Blind Guardian's Marcus Siepen
Billy Talent's Ian D'Sa => He is a very creative and recognizeable guitarist
Disturbed's Dan Donegan => some very nice rythm riffs
Dissection's Jon Nödtveidt => an incredible songwriter, if you like death metal you should check him out !
Diary practice: (not 100% sure what you mean by that ^^, i assume it's the time a dedicate to practicing the guitar)between 1 and 2 hours a day, up to 4-5 hours on the weekends
Audio or video recording possibility: I can record both, video with my smartphone and audio with reaper and my pod hd 400 as an interface
What do you know about theory: Not that much^^... I know the chords, the timings and some variations of chords, but I am not that familiar with scales, actually I only know the pentatonic scale, because it is very easy^^

As I already said, I am also working with Cosmin and he requested some information, too so I'll just throw it into this post as well, as it is just a matter of copy and paste ^^

* How long have you been playing the guitar?
I have been playing for about 3 or 4 years now. (I started to play when i was 6 years old, because my father is actually a professional guitarist, but I stopped practicing quite soon)

* What do you feel your current level is?
I'd say, I am intermediate (I am better with the rythm guitar and a riffing style of playing, than I am with the lead guitar and fast solos

* What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far?
Not that much^^... I know the chords, the timings and some variations of chords, but I am not that familiar with scales, actually I only know the pentatonic scale, because it is very easy^^

* How much time/day can you spend practicing?
between 1 and 2 hours a day, up to 4-5 hours on the weekends (my personal best was 9 hours)

* What are your favorite techniques?
Definetly Palm Muting: I think it has the potential to add a lot of variety to your play and you can add it into almoast every riff

* What would you like to improve?
Soloing/Shredding : I think being able to play solos (both slow and fast) is a crucial part of writing melodic songs.

* What is your current experience as a player (band, studio, home)?
I have played in a hobby band for 2 years, playing a few live gigs, but I left that band, because I don't like to cooperate in creative matters, such as song-writing and creating an own stylized versions of already existing songs. => I like to do whatever I want without being restricted by others...

* What gear do you own?
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul (Manhatten Midnight with splitable pickups => you can split the humbuckers into single coils)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Midnight Edition with Emgs)
Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop Slash Signature
Epiphone Explorer (not sure about the specific name)
Amp : Pod HD 400 (I think that Gab is using a bigger version of this)
Pedals: Meas/Boogie Flux Drive

Software: Reaper
Guitar Pro 6

* Name a few favorite artists that inspire your playing
Blind Guardian's Marcus Siepen ( my father)
Billy Talent's Ian D'Sa => He is a very creative and recognizeable guitarist
Disturbed's Dan Donegan => Well... you know all about him ^^
Dissection's Jon Nödtveidt => an incredible songwriter, if you like death metal you should check him out !

Notable to mention is, that Cosmin is taking up a lot of my time with a clear focus on starting out with leads and soloing, so that I'd like to work on some rythm-skills with you, if possible. Once I get the basics in those leads and solos down I'll gladly join your creativity workout, I just feel like there is not that much I can do there now, as I am simply lacking in the experience to express my emotions or those of a picture through my guitar!

As for videos of me playing, you graded both of my rec takes so far ( the tom morello style and the right hand workout), but I have these two unfinished pieces of "the voice of your guitar", that I was able to get out, while being sick (the last two days):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPLWmuavdpc
that one has a rather "clean" attitude"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpE2R_QXekg
, while this one is a little heavier

I guess, that's enough for now^^
-Dave

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 13 2014, 05:21 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi David! Nice to hear from you here!

Let's me mark some interesting things that I read in your info:

1- "Billy Talent's Ian D'Sa => He is a very creative and recognizeable guitarist"

This must be our goal! To make David a creative and recognizable guitarist. How? Letting your own personality grow and be reflected in your playing. This is much more important than playing fast, lots of scales or lots of songs. Please keep this in mind with everything you do. We will continue discussing about this...

2- Your tastes are wide and are not limited to specific styles, it's connected to artists making music. Music that reflects the artists personalities. You don't speak about bands or songs, you speak about musicians.

3- "Name: David Siepen"

Are you Marcus son?? ohmy.gif

Ok mate, as you suggested we will work on rhythm but we will also analyze songs to notice the theory and concepts used behind those rhythms and riffs to help you to slowly start creating your own music. For this you need to know:

- Scales & Modes theory
- Chords theory
- Harmonizing major and minor scales
- Learn scales, modes, triads and chords in your guitar.
- Palm muting technique
- Only downstrokes
- Playing chords as arpeggios
- Alternate Picking
- Rhythm and note values
- Song structures
- Ear training

It seems to be a lot but not, it's a short course that will take you to the next level and will help you to join the creativity workouts and compose your own music.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
David95
post Mar 13 2014, 05:53 PM
Post #4

Learning Roadie

Sounds great man ^^

1. Ian D'Sa is probably my favourite guitarist of all times (untill now at least XD)( no offense to Marcus)
I have seen him live multiple times and I have seen LOTS of interviews with him, talking about how he developed his style ^^

2.My tastes are actually more limited, than you might think ^^ I listen to 85% Metal, 12.5% Billy Talent and 2.5% RAP^^
But you are correct, I think these are some artists, that quite unique, which is a shame in Jon's case, because he is dead ...

3. Indeed ^^
It's actually his guitar I am using, or at least it was his up to my 18th birthday ^^, you might recognize it from this lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/hammer_on_dude/

as for your "to do list": it sounds great, I recognize some basics, that I have avoided for far to long^^

You might see a new rec take from my side, later this day, where you'll get some more insight on my current level.

Can't wait to get working with you ^^

-Dave

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 13 2014, 05:57 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi David! This sounds great! I'm curious about those interviews. Could you post here some links and share here the phrases that you consider more important about "developing your own style" and explain with your words why?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
David95
post Mar 13 2014, 06:48 PM
Post #6

Learning Roadie

Well well...^^
Finding all these videos again including the timestamps for the important stuff will take a bit of time, but I remember him talking about how he felt a litlle lost at first, as he was the ONLY guitarist in his band, which was called "PEZZ" by the time (later changed to billy talent of course). He needed to find a solution to playing lead and rythm at the same time and his solution was playing in drop-d, that way he could easily play some powerchords with one finger, while adding some higher notes to play "2 tracks at once". That also resulted in some very suspicious looking chords^^
He also likes to play around with lots of different effects, that way he got to the sound you might know from "devil in a midnight mass" - that effect that he was using is called the "wooly marmoth" and is actually a custom fuzz-drive-whatever-thingy^^ for a bass, but he found it lying around at the studio and just tried it out -> it worked ^^
A similar thing happened during the recordings of "fallen leaves" where he just tried tons of different compressors (if I am correct) and suddenly one of them gave him that "squeeky" sound of his signature riff ^^

I guess in the end there is no set-in-stone way to find your own style (otherwise ther wouldn't be 10000000000000000... bands playing prs with a rectifier in the style of breaking benjamin XD), but I like to think about is a quote from one of the guys of mythbusters (I hope you know that show ^^) he said "Remember kids: the only difference betwee science and screwing around is writing it down" and i guess that goes for guitar or anything as well : just try out as much as you can and keep track of what you liked and what you didn't. I like to think about it like a sieve, where you put everything you can find into it and what you like comes back out and becomes "your own style".

...Wow I should become the next Sokrates XD
Anyway this is what I learned not only from Ian D'Sa, but also from my father and even some of my teachers, because finding your style is also important for the life you want to live^^
I suddenly feel, like I am teaching you XD
Enough for now
-Dave

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 14 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Awesome feedback! This is what happens at Gab's Army when things start to flow! You are teaching me but also teaching yourself by writing and clarifying your thoughts. We learn a lot by ourselves and the life around us by writing the thoughts that sometimes aren't totally clear in our mind. I find that this conversation can have much more impact in your playing than practicing a repetitive lick for many hours.

There is something important to mark about Ian and it's the fact that he started with a question, a problem:

"He felt a little lost at first, as he was the ONLY guitarist in his band,
He needed to find a solution to playing lead and rhythm at the same time"

The solution has been decisive to develop his own style:

- Dropped D tuning: Both power chords and higher strings melodies in the same guitar line.
- Effects experimentation.

This solution woke up his the necessity of experimenting and that's when his own personality started to appear.

I found curious an interview to Dave Grohl where he says that he sees guitar as a drum set, and he divides lower and higher strings, letting the lower to kick and snare and the higher for hi-hat and overheads. I was amazed when I read this, I can listen to this in every Foo Fighters song, and I didn't noticed before.

Let me say that you have been very wise by saying that this also applies to life, it's exactly what I think. Sometimes is easily to visualize in music and guitar, but life is so similar to music. A good teacher, a good leader, makes music with people.

So... which are the questions/problems that can help you to explore your own style? these questions are an excuse, your own style is already inside you.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
David95
post Mar 14 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #8

Learning Roadie

OH MY GOD blink.gif
I AM SUCH A GENIUS XD
..OK let me explain^^
I was just practicing a lesson from Cosmin, while reading your post here ( i was not actually playing right the moment, I was reading, but I had the guitar in my hands) and I was thinkin about Ian and his playstyle. I then thought about Dave Grohl and how you said he sees his guitar (comparing it to the drums...) and then I came back to Ian and thought about the guitar might look in his eyes. I also thought about the same things in relation to Jon Nödtveidt and how I think he is THE guitarist when it comes to creating an atmosphere through music.
***This is the genius part***
I thought about how Ian would interpret one of Jon's songs, and while thinking about it I just started playing it automaticly XD
And even though both guitarist's styles are very different from each other, I thought they went together extremely well : Jon uses a lot of arpegios where he lets the notes ringing a little and combining that with a very slight delay, whereas Ian is usualy just punching through all of the strings together creating melodies not through single notes, but through his chord-formations. But as I said it sounded awesome ^^

In the end this leaded me to the Idea of re-creating a whole song of Dissection (Jon's band) through the playing-style of Ian (Billy Talent of course) -> the result will obviously be uploaded here

I feel like this is going to be great fun and I think it makes you (/me) look closer at the differnt guitarists styles, in order to re-create them as good as you (/I) can .

This will probably take me a bit of time, as it will only be a "side-project", so I'll look to get it done next weekend, ... we'll see.
Depending on the result and how much I think it helped me I can definetly see me or even other students trying this out on different guitarists as well !

PEACE -Dave

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 14 2014, 10:46 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Dave! This sounds so great!! I'm really happy of the direction that is taking our thread! I think that your plan is exactly what we have to work here. If you add some theory analysis it would be totally complete!

You used the word "re-create", this means that you will put YOUR stuff there, you will take their playing but make it yours. That's the most interesting part.

This sounds like a great experiment, and I would like to monitor the whole process, is it possible?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
David95
post Mar 15 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #10

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 14 2014, 09:46 PM) *
This sounds like a great experiment, and I would like to monitor the whole process, is it possible?

I guess I can do some sort of video diary, where I talk abot and showcase, what I did each day and perhaps explain why I did what ( like analysing the specific part of the song and coming up with how I can use Ian's playstyle to express what I think would've been Ian's interpretation of that part)

I'll see if I can get one of these out today, if not I'll start tomorrow.

-Dave

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 16 2014, 04:33 PM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (David95 @ Mar 15 2014, 03:00 PM) *
I guess I can do some sort of video diary, where I talk abot and showcase, what I did each day and perhaps explain why I did what ( like analysing the specific part of the song and coming up with how I can use Ian's playstyle to express what I think would've been Ian's interpretation of that part)

I'll see if I can get one of these out today, if not I'll start tomorrow.

-Dave

This sounds very good man! I think that this could also be very useful and inspirational for other students here. I'll be waiting for your video! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2017 - 01:17 PM