2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advanced Vs Pro Playing, How to get that extra bit of mojo which makes all the difference?
Cosmin Lupu
post Mar 31 2014, 02:51 PM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 31 2014, 11:32 AM) *
Thanks a lot Rod - it's always good to know a song is approved by a headbanger! =)

For sure - experiment with both. Generally if I can achieve a similar attack/tone while still being relaxed I will go for it - since I find that control comes form a relaxed technique.

However there are some extremely aggressive picking styles that probably can't be done without applying a bit of tension - I am not exactly sure how they are done though.

Sometimes when riffing or playing funk for instance, I discovered that I need to have a very loose wrist and let the forearm behave like the handle of a ball and chain - loose in the swing and snap the strings firmly when hitting them - it gives that specific attack in funk music smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Apr 1 2014, 08:08 AM
Post #22

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 31 2014, 03:51 PM) *
Sometimes when riffing or playing funk for instance, I discovered that I need to have a very loose wrist and let the forearm behave like the handle of a ball and chain - loose in the swing and snap the strings firmly when hitting them - it gives that specific attack in funk music smile.gif

Very good description! The goal should be controlled tension whenever you do choose to apply tension, and this is a good way to visualise it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 1 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 1 2014, 07:08 AM) *
Very good description! The goal should be controlled tension whenever you do choose to apply tension, and this is a good way to visualise it.

Thanks Kris! I always like to help people out by making them visualize or hear something they know well about smile.gif For interval training, I like to make them think of sounds which are familiar to them and associate them with certain intervals - for instance, the 5th sounds like a medieval trumpet announcing the arrival of someone at the castle smile.gif Think a bit and let me know if you can hear it - play it two times in a row biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th January 2017 - 02:41 AM