> Versatile Pick
ElHombre
post Mar 26 2014, 06:33 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.679

Hello guys.

I want a pick I can use both for good rhythm (most metal) and shredding.

The thing is, I tried the Jazz 3 but I think its too small especially for rhythm, It could work for solo though, for me.

So give me some ideas smile.gif

Right now I just use a 1mm dunlop for soloing. And a slightly softer one for rhythm, .96 mm

I see there are some expensive picks out there made out of all kinds of materials, could be worth a try.

Also, for soloing I felt a more sharpend pick could be of more use, however i did not like it for riffing.

What should I get?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Mar 26 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 17.304

There is a Jazz III XL ... as in extra large.
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/jazz-iii-xl

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
post Mar 26 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 19.002

Dava Rock Control are really interesting in that they are large, but depending on where you grip them, the flexibility changes so just by altering your grip, one pick can act like a thin one for rhythm/strumming, or a stiffer one for lead or riffing.

They take a little getting used to, but might be worth it if you find that you really need more than one type of pick.

http://www.davapick.com/picks/rock_control

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Mar 26 2014, 06:48 PM
Post #4

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

And the Petrucci Jazz III

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/john-petrucci-jazz-iii

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
post Mar 26 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 19.002

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 26 2014, 12:48 PM) *

For me, depending on my mood, I flip between regular Jazz III's and the Petrucci's... Feel is similar, but tone is different, and I like the Petrucci's for harder stuff...

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Mar 26 2014, 07:08 PM
Post #6

XLs are a little bigger than the Petrucci's and still have the same feel/tone as the regular jazz 3s due to being the same material.
For what it's worth I prefer the red over the black. Call me crazy but they sound/feel different to me(?)

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 26 2014, 07:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Mar 26 2014, 07:11 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Mar 26 2014, 05:48 PM) *

+1, its actually not bad on clean sound either. I also like the stubbys though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Mar 26 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #8

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

Here is a pic of a standard Jazz III with an XL and a Petrucci so folks can see the difference in size.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 26 2014, 09:15 PM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

I think that you should try Vonhotch picks. Vonhotch designed a pick specially for me because I wanted to play exactly what you said and I can say that the result is very good. The picks are great for rhythm and so precise for shredding.

I would give a try to them: https://www.etsy.com/shop/VonHotch

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Mar 26 2014, 09:37 PM
Post #10

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

i use tortex sharps 1.14 and everything else to me just feels strange, i used to use dunlop 1mm, when i gave sharps a try it took some getting used to but very quikly i felt like i had more control over my attack on the strings, there not expensive 4 bucks for 12 and i think there great
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/412P1.50/

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
post Mar 26 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 19.244

I use the Dunlop Nylon Big Stubby 3mm for years now. Yes, these are really thick! :-D
But because of the thickness they're not flexible at all and don't have any rebound after you picked a string. And of course if a pick has a some small rebound this produce some kind of small latency too(or maybe it's just in my imagination laugh.gif )So I have the feeling that it helps me to play more accuracy.
I also love the fat tone they produce, specially on clean sounds and they have a really great grip. They work great for rhythm and solo playing as well. But it takes a little time to get used to it because of the enormous thickness.

I rasp the edge a bit so it will get really sharp. This way I can sweep more over the strings to get faster and faster and faster and faster.... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Guido Bungenstock: Mar 26 2014, 10:22 PM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com | YouTube | Facebook | Soundcloud | Reverbnation | Bandcamp | Twitter

[soundcloud]http://soundcloud.com/guidorist/bad-world[/soundcloud]

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Mar 26 2014, 11:52 PM
Post #12

The other side of the coin ...

A long time ago I fell in love with a particular pickboy plectrum (it was similar to a jazz 3 but a little bigger and little heavier), anyway ... they stopped making them several years ago. I had probably 30 left but eventually I ran out. After that experience I decided to find a relatively 'standard' dunlop I could live with.

Carl Verheyen once was asked what kind of picks he uses.
He answered, "Fender mediums ... because you can get them anywhere".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Mar 27 2014, 12:55 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

QUOTE (Guido Bungenstock @ Mar 26 2014, 09:21 PM) *
I use the Dunlop Nylon Big Stubby 3mm for years now. Yes, these are really thick! :-D
But because of the thickness they're not flexible at all and don't have any rebound after you picked a string. And of course if a pick has a some small rebound this produce some kind of small latency too(or maybe it's just in my imagination laugh.gif )So I have the feeling that it helps me to play more accuracy.
I also love the fat tone they produce, specially on clean sounds and they have a really great grip. They work great for rhythm and solo playing as well. But it takes a little time to get used to it because of the enormous thickness.

I rasp the edge a bit so it will get really sharp. This way I can sweep more over the strings to get faster and faster and faster and faster.... biggrin.gif

Although I prefer the 2mm (blue, harder plastic-I like it more cause its very sharp) stubby, I also have a 3mm blue stubby too smile.gif

Its actually strictly for practice reasons, if I feel an exercise is forcing the wrist I start with it first then when comfortable swap to a usual pick. I recommended this to others and feedback was positive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Mar 27 2014, 10:23 AM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

For me, the Von Hotch picks made of aluminum alloy are just the thing - both shredding and rhythm. For the acoustic playing, I usually use a thing plastic one, for the strumming and sometimes the aluminum one for picking if I want more punch.

Now, I would suggest you to try one of Von Hotch's picks and see if they are to your liking. The aluminum gives an extra punch and bright attack that plastic will never deliver.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2017 - 03:34 AM