Sensible Jones
post Apr 4 2014, 12:06 PM
Post #21

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 4 2014, 06:31 AM) *
I'm seriously thinking about having two amps onstage - the Vox for the clean and crunch tones and maybe a Peavy 5150 or a Blackstar for the metal. That sort of rig is gonna be difficult to carry around, but for that tone... heh biggrin.gif

I was lucky in the fact that the Band I was with at the time didn't play anything too 'Heavy' so it was easy to just set a nice Clean sound and just use an OD or Distortion for heavier sounds. This was back in the late 80's/early 90's and I soon started experimenting with the brand new Zoom Multi FX's that were all the rage!
I had the Zoom 9000 Unit (two of) and a 2020 Multi FX Floor Box when they first came out. I later used the 9050 Rack Mount (also used by Brian May, Ritchie Sambora, Yngwie and a few others) and finally settled with the Rack Mount 9150 Digital Sound Processor with a Valve Pre-amp Stage. The 9050 and 9150 are still part of my Live Rig today!!!
biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Apr 4 2014, 12:07 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 5 2014, 12:12 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 4 2014, 11:06 AM) *
I was lucky in the fact that the Band I was with at the time didn't play anything too 'Heavy' so it was easy to just set a nice Clean sound and just use an OD or Distortion for heavier sounds. This was back in the late 80's/early 90's and I soon started experimenting with the brand new Zoom Multi FX's that were all the rage!
I had the Zoom 9000 Unit (two of) and a 2020 Multi FX Floor Box when they first came out. I later used the 9050 Rack Mount (also used by Brian May, Ritchie Sambora, Yngwie and a few others) and finally settled with the Rack Mount 9150 Digital Sound Processor with a Valve Pre-amp Stage. The 9050 and 9150 are still part of my Live Rig today!!!
biggrin.gif

Sweet Lord! Neil, it sounds like you had a huge amount of gear in your life so far... I think I had far, far less stuff, but then again, I was never the type to experiment all the time, so it all adds up I think.

But I would like to keep away from processors to be honest smile.gif If I can stick to the simple things for all my life, I would be the happiest dude on the planet smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Apr 5 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #23

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 5 2014, 01:12 PM) *
Sweet Lord! Neil, it sounds like you had a huge amount of gear in your life so far... I think I had far, far less stuff, but then again, I was never the type to experiment all the time, so it all adds up I think.

But I would like to keep away from processors to be honest smile.gif If I can stick to the simple things for all my life, I would be the happiest dude on the planet smile.gif

How's this for a simple guitar then:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 5 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #24

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 5 2014, 11:17 AM) *
How's this for a simple guitar then:

This is amazing! biggrin.gif So, there's that Brushy one string guy that has the acoustic one string realm covered and there's this dude for the electric. Pretty spiff! As Todd would say it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Apr 5 2014, 05:47 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 5 2014, 11:12 AM) *

I have, it's true!! I still have quite a lot of it still!!
In the late 80's - early 90's I had an endorsement with Dean Guitars through a good friends Music Shop and a very sweet deal with his Zoom Rep so I got to try stuff and buy it very cheaply if I wanted to!!
As you point out, simple is usually best! The best sounding set-up I had from all of this gear was using my Zoom Stomps, the 9150 Valve Pre-amp and then running it into my Peavey Renowns Power Amp stage! Simple, effective and seriously LOUD!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 6 2014, 06:12 PM
Post #26

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 5 2014, 04:47 PM) *
I have, it's true!! I still have quite a lot of it still!!
In the late 80's - early 90's I had an endorsement with Dean Guitars through a good friends Music Shop and a very sweet deal with his Zoom Rep so I got to try stuff and buy it very cheaply if I wanted to!!
As you point out, simple is usually best! The best sounding set-up I had from all of this gear was using my Zoom Stomps, the 9150 Valve Pre-amp and then running it into my Peavey Renowns Power Amp stage! Simple, effective and seriously LOUD!!!

But you Sir, have had a lot indeed smile.gif

Today, I shot 2 vids for PRS and I came to the conclusion that the Vox AC15, Suhr Shiba drive and a guitar were pretty much all I need laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 6 2014, 06:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 6 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

BTW, FOLKS CHECK HIS LIGHTING SETUP!!! This is textbook on what you can use to make well lit vids smile.gif He's got the backdrop, the lighting kit, nice!!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 6 2014, 01:12 PM) *

Today, I shot 2 vids for PRS and I came to the conclusion that the Vox AC15, Suhr Shiba drive and a guitar were pretty much all I need laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 6 2014, 08:57 PM
Post #28

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

There is a lot of useful information here. Nowadays I'm using just pedals because I find them easier/faster to set, and with a better quality compared with my Pod HD500 which is the only FX processor that I have. Another reason why I use pedals is that I don't use too many effects when I play live. My pedal board consists on: Volume Pedal, Wah Wah, Delay, Phaser, Chorus, Overdrive and Tuner. Phaser and Chorus are less important for me than the others but it's cool to add them in some short sections.

Deciding on pedals vs rack processor depends a lot on what you play and how much use you give to effects in your playing.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Apr 6 2014, 10:41 PM
Post #29

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

I'm NOT using an Amp/Head for my tone at all so everything is coming from the ELEVEN RACK and a power amp (Velocity 300). So pedals are more for experimenting and recording and playing around with for me. The ProTone was something I'm very glad to have tried. smile.gif

The HD500 is a really good way to get tons of NON GAIN based fx in one spot. It can pretty much do everything else so you can get by without a lot of pedals except for maybe an OD/boost?

The Eleven Rack is sooo complete that I don't need a power amp or a guitar cabinet to be honest. I can run direct and get amazing results. Folks using AXE FX units and touring often use the same trick. Toting guitar cabs around is something I don't miss. smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 6 2014, 03:57 PM) *
There is a lot of useful information here. Nowadays I'm using just pedals because I find them easier/faster to set, and with a better quality compared with my Pod HD500 which is the only FX processor that I have. Another reason why I use pedals is that I don't use too many effects when I play live. My pedal board consists on: Volume Pedal, Wah Wah, Delay, Phaser, Chorus, Overdrive and Tuner. Phaser and Chorus are less important for me than the others but it's cool to add them in some short sections.

Deciding on pedals vs rack processor depends a lot on what you play and how much use you give to effects in your playing.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 6 2014, 10:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 7 2014, 10:11 AM
Post #30

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 6 2014, 06:32 PM) *
BTW, FOLKS CHECK HIS LIGHTING SETUP!!! This is textbook on what you can use to make well lit vids smile.gif He's got the backdrop, the lighting kit, nice!!

Thank you very much Todd smile.gif I have a good friend who's a professional film maker owning his personal advertising agency and video/photo studio. I teach him guitar while he takes care of my vids - good deal eh? biggrin.gif But having all this stuff in my home is indeed a great advantage because I don't depend on anything else than his expertise.

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Apr 7 2014, 10:12 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Apr 7 2014, 01:46 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 6 2014, 05:12 PM) *

I have definitely had a lot over the years, for sure!!
I'm definitely along the same lines of thinking as your good self these days though, the simpler the better!
smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 6 2014, 07:57 PM) *

A good point Gab! The only reason I started using Multi FX's instead of my stomps was that I used quite a few different sounds in our Set, sometimes 3 or 4 different ones in one song so it was far easier to program patches rather than trying to adjust pedals during a performance!!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 7 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #32

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 7 2014, 09:46 AM) *
A good point Gab! The only reason I started using Multi FX's instead of my stomps was that I used quite a few different sounds in our Set, sometimes 3 or 4 different ones in one song so it was far easier to program patches rather than trying to adjust pedals during a performance!!
smile.gif

haha yeah, in this case, I would also use a MultiFx processor. It's so difficult to turn on 3 pedals before the solo!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 8 2014, 07:32 AM
Post #33

Instructor
Group Icon

Indeed, it all depends on one's needs, so I think that a rig should definitely be based on what you have to use onstage.

If you are using a lot of weird effects - maybe such as the Muse guy does? - you would need a far more complex rig than just a great amp and a few stomps..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Apr 9 2014, 02:32 PM
Post #34

Group Icon

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 7 2014, 02:14 PM) *
haha yeah, in this case, I would also use a MultiFx processor. It's so difficult to turn on 3 pedals before the solo!

Exactly!! Sometimes not just turning on or off but adjusting the settings too!
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 8 2014, 06:32 AM) *
Indeed, it all depends on one's needs, so I think that a rig should definitely be based on what you have to use onstage.

If you are using a lot of weird effects - maybe such as the Muse guy does? - you would need a far more complex rig than just a great amp and a few stomps..

I quite agree! I started using the Multi FX's because I might have 4 different sounds in one song. When I play with a friends Blues Band it's pretty much Guitar, Stomps and Amp.

Matt Bellamy (Muse guy!!) has his guitars made by Hugh Manson (Manson Guitars), some just have the circuit boards from Stomps built into them and he has others that have Korg Kaoss Pads (Midi Controller) built in.

You can buy one for about £4500!!
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 10 2014, 11:51 AM
Post #35

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 9 2014, 01:32 PM) *
Matt Bellamy (Muse guy!!) has his guitars made by Hugh Manson (Manson Guitars), some just have the circuit boards from Stomps built into them and he has others that have Korg Kaoss Pads (Midi Controller) built in.

You can buy one for about £4500!!
smile.gif smile.gif

Hehe! I always knew about the Kaoss Pads, but not about the circuit boards from stomps. Matt is certainly one of the most talented musicians of this age and breaking down the traditionalist barriers is surely a great thing to do...but 45oo pounds would be pounding my wallet into oblivion laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Apr 10 2014, 04:48 PM
Post #36

Group Icon

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 10 2014, 10:51 AM) *
Hehe! I always knew about the Kaoss Pads, but not about the circuit boards from stomps. Matt is certainly one of the most talented musicians of this age and breaking down the traditionalist barriers is surely a great thing to do...but 45oo pounds would be pounding my wallet into oblivion laugh.gif

If you get the chance to see Muse live then I really recommend you do! I first saw them in the early/mid 90's and have seen them quite a few times over the following years. The shows just keep getting bigger and more Theatrical with each tour!!!
I agree, £4500 is quite a chunk of money. Especially as that same money could get me a PRS 513 (my ultimate guitar!!)
biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 11 2014, 07:08 AM
Post #37

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 10 2014, 03:48 PM) *
If you get the chance to see Muse live then I really recommend you do! I first saw them in the early/mid 90's and have seen them quite a few times over the following years. The shows just keep getting bigger and more Theatrical with each tour!!!
I agree, £4500 is quite a chunk of money. Especially as that same money could get me a PRS 513 (my ultimate guitar!!)
biggrin.gif

Hehe! I missed them in 2007 when they performed here, but I don't plan on missing them again biggrin.gif Now, The 513 is indeed a piece of work! I would like me one of those as well, but since I can only get one PRS for now, I will have to choose wisely and Todd's approach based on, pick whatever feels best for you, regardless of what you had in mind initially, is the approach I am going for this time smile.gif I was initially aiming for a PRS DC3, but I want to test more of them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Apr 11 2014, 12:18 PM
Post #38

Group Icon

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 11 2014, 06:08 AM) *
Hehe! I missed them in 2007 when they performed here, but I don't plan on missing them again biggrin.gif Now, The 513 is indeed a piece of work! I would like me one of those as well, but since I can only get one PRS for now, I will have to choose wisely and Todd's approach based on, pick whatever feels best for you, regardless of what you had in mind initially, is the approach I am going for this time smile.gif I was initially aiming for a PRS DC3, but I want to test more of them.

That's the bast advice for buying any guitar really!!!
I fell in love with the 513 after playing a couple of them when I wrote this REVIEW for the WIKI!!
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Apr 12 2014, 09:44 PM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Apr 11 2014, 11:18 AM) *
That's the bast advice for buying any guitar really!!!
I fell in love with the 513 after playing a couple of them when I wrote this REVIEW for the WIKI!!
smile.gif

Hehe! Glad to hear that more and more people agree wink.gif Very nice review man - I just bookmarked it as a reference! Have you reviewed other PRS axes so far?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Apr 13 2014, 01:34 PM
Post #40

Group Icon

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 12 2014, 08:44 PM) *
Hehe! Glad to hear that more and more people agree wink.gif Very nice review man - I just bookmarked it as a reference! Have you reviewed other PRS axes so far?

I have bought a few guitars that weren't exactly what I set out to buy but when I played them they felt right!
My main acoustic is one such purchase. I had the choice of it and 3 other acoustics. The other 3 were all about twice the price and yet this one sounded better unplugged and plugged in. That was 20+ years ago and it's still my main acoustic to this day. It even made me retire my Ovation that I'd been using up to that point!
I've since found out that I paid a lot less that it should have been priced at. It's a Suzuki Nagoya. Nagoya is the factory where Suzuki produce all their top of the range, hand crafted Violins and other Classical Instruments. Once in a while they do a short run of Guitars too.
I haven't actually written any other PRS reveiws although i have tried out and played quite a few different models. It all depends what my friend has in stock in his Shop when I go to visit/do some repairs and set-ups there.
If you want I'll review whatever PRS Stock he has next time I'm there? He usually has a couple of Models and a few SE models in stock.
smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th January 2017 - 01:25 AM