> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

28 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cael's Composition Workouts, for Gab's Army
Caelumamittendum
post Aug 24 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #461

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

I've been really busy, barely even touched the guitar since you wrote assignment #2. I think I should still be able to make it though.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 24 2016, 02:34 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 24 2016, 02:52 PM
Post #462

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Ok! I hope that you can get back to practice!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Aug 24 2016, 03:02 PM
Post #463

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 24 2016, 03:52 PM) *
Ok! I hope that you can get back to practice!

I have some time the next few days and over the weekend, so it's fine smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 25 2016, 01:43 PM
Post #464

Instructor
Group Icon

Great!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Sep 2 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #465

Learning Rock Star

Time has eluded me a bit with meetings here and there. Now my parents are visiting till Tuesday. Maybe I can get a quick take in tonight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 3 2016, 02:48 PM
Post #466

Instructor
Group Icon

Ok mate! Thanks for the update.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Sep 3 2016, 02:50 PM
Post #467

Learning Rock Star

I'm really sorry for the delay. I've worked on it as much as I could. Is there a chance we can extend the deadline?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 5 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #468

Instructor
Group Icon

Sure mate! What's your suggested deadline?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Sep 5 2016, 06:24 PM
Post #469

Learning Rock Star

My parents are going home tonight, so I'll work a bit on it tonight, then tomorrow too and maybe a deadline tomorrow or wednesday? smile.gif So sorry for the delay. In the past I've not had life get too much in the way of things, but a lot is happening lately. Started in the gym and I'm starting some work experience soon, as I might have said. That's on monday. Hopefully it adds meaning to my life instead of draining my energy smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 6 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #470

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, it sounds good! Fingers crossed that great things are coming!

Let's set Wednesday as the new deadline.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 19 2016, 01:57 PM
Post #471

Learning Rock Star

Hey Gabriel.

How can we kickstart my playing and composing music? smile.gif You saw my thread from the other day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 20 2016, 01:41 AM
Post #472

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Cael! Welcome back here! smile.gif

What music do you have in mind? Have you been listening to new albums or artists?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 20 2016, 01:04 PM
Post #473

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 20 2016, 01:41 AM) *
Hi Cael! Welcome back here! smile.gif

What music do you have in mind? Have you been listening to new albums or artists?

I still wanna do sort of the niche of slower prog metal that I created during spring and summer. But of course maybe also a bit more varied and with some faster passages too. I want to rewrite that whole song.

I've not been listening to anything new, but rather some old stuff again that used to inspire me, such as these songs, warning, they're very long biggrin.gif :

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 20 2016, 03:11 PM
Post #474

Instructor
Group Icon

Good, I'll listen to this stuff, think about this today, and then get back.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 20 2016, 04:19 PM
Post #475

Learning Rock Star

Thanks, Gabriel. I know the songs are quite long by the way. They sort of have a similar feel and theme (space). I wish I could write like that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 21 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #476

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, I've checked both songs a bit. I'll be totally honest about what I think of this stuff since I believe that you are here to know my real thoughts, even knowing that this can be VERY subjective and based on taste.

I get bored soon. Why? I feel that these bands play generic progressive metal that I've heard lots of times (I was a big fan of this musics so I've head a lot to the biggest names, the classics, and also the unknown). I think that making music only inspired on these type of bands will bring just some more new generic stuff. If this doesn't care to you and you still enjoy the process, even knowing that not many people will listen to it, this is not a problem.

If you want to develop a career as musician, you need to go for something new, unique, that includes something that represents you, who you are, how you are, where you live, where you've born, etc. Listen to other music, listen to vanguard music, or old music that isn't generic, music that is fresh, that brings some new air.

If you love this stuff too much, you can take it as a starting point, but propose yourself to create something that sounds to Cael, not to a copy of the copy of the copy of dream theater.

I believe that there are many new artists making music that is fresh and still keeps that progressive spirit. Just use Spotify and lots of music will come. And most of them, if you check interviews took influences from really different styles, there are many guitarists influenced by pianists, jazz music or even from artists from other arts (cinema, painting).

I'm sorry if this post is too honest, but that's what I've felt today while listening to some parts of these songs.

PS: And about this: "I wish I could write like that". You already can write like that, and from my point of view, much cooler.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 21 2016, 03:23 PM
Post #477

Learning Rock Star

It wasn't too honest or anything, and it was a very thought out and thoughtful reply, so I'll try and reply to it as best as I can. Below the quote smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 21 2016, 02:40 PM) *
Hi mate, I've checked both songs a bit. I'll be totally honest about what I think of this stuff since I believe that you are here to know my real thoughts, even knowing that this can be VERY subjective and based on taste.

I get bored soon. Why? I feel that these bands play generic progressive metal that I've heard lots of times (I was a big fan of this musics so I've head a lot to the biggest names, the classics, and also the unknown). I think that making music only inspired on these type of bands will bring just some more new generic stuff. If this doesn't care to you and you still enjoy the process, even knowing that not many people will listen to it, this is not a problem.

If you want to develop a career as musician, you need to go for something new, unique, that includes something that represents you, who you are, how you are, where you live, where you've born, etc. Listen to other music, listen to vanguard music, or old music that isn't generic, music that is fresh, that brings some new air.

If you love this stuff too much, you can take it as a starting point, but propose yourself to create something that sounds to Cael, not to a copy of the copy of the copy of dream theater.

I believe that there are many new artists making music that is fresh and still keeps that progressive spirit. Just use Spotify and lots of music will come. And most of them, if you check interviews took influences from really different styles, there are many guitarists influenced by pianists, jazz music or even from artists from other arts (cinema, painting).

I'm sorry if this post is too honest, but that's what I've felt today while listening to some parts of these songs.

PS: And about this: "I wish I could write like that". You already can write like that, and from my point of view, much cooler.

Honestly, I'm happy with just writing music that I'm happy with and that can get 2 likes on Facebook or Youtube or similar sites. My 35 minute long song has 9 likes! Wooo! smile.gif
I'm not sure I will ever have the motivation, inspiration, energy or consistency to make a career of music. I don't know if that makes sense. It comes and goes too often in long periods of time.

Obviously I don't want to copy their work or Dream Theater or anyone like that. I do want to sound like myself, and I felt like I had found that niche with the music I made previously, before this break I've had.

I like being inspired by other stuff as well, but I often find it hard. What I find the "easiest" I think, is having some lyrics that I can write some music to. But I get stuck when I'm writing lyrics too. Maybe it's a lack of practice too at that area smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 21 2016, 04:35 PM
Post #478

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 21 2016, 11:23 AM) *
I like being inspired by other stuff as well, but I often find it hard. What I find the "easiest" I think, is having some lyrics that I can write some music to. But I get stuck when I'm writing lyrics too. Maybe it's a lack of practice too at that area smile.gif

That's a great starting point. And what about reading some new stuff? Have you been reading some books that really captured you?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 21 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #479

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 21 2016, 04:35 PM) *
That's a great starting point. And what about reading some new stuff? Have you been reading some books that really captured you?

My favorite book of all time is one called Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I honestly don't read a lot, because I struggle to remember. It's also a problem when playing music to be honest. That's why I just like improvising laugh.gif

The last book I read was Rumo and his Miraculous Adventures, though I only read half of it. It was very funny though and I might read it again. I think the author is called Walter Moers. He also wrote one called "The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear", which I would also like to read, but I can't find it anywhere in book format. I don't like reading books on screen(s ). Call me old fashioned smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Nov 24 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #480

Learning Rock Star

Just rented Captain Bluebear book at the library smile.gif The one I mentioned above.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Nov 24 2016, 02:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2017 - 09:44 AM