Cosmin Lupu
post May 13 2014, 07:34 AM
Post #21

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (klasaine @ May 12 2014, 02:53 PM) *
Of course people don't know or understand (or care) if it's a WiP. You put it out - you showed it. Why did you do that? *I understand why but do do they - ?

My skin is very thick when it comes to [my] art. Unless the criticism is from a peer, my general reaction (to negative) to criticism is, "yeah, lets see your band".

Hehe! My thoughts used to be the same smile.gif But, compassion grew a little inside me and I began to understand that these folks that usually criticize mercilessly, are poor unhappy souls, having nothing else to do. Could you do anything else than pity them? smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 13 2014, 02:06 PM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 12 2014, 05:18 AM) *
My whole approach with creating things is, if I know it isn't ready, I don't share it.

This is something that we need to have clear.. if it's ready or not. If we share something that we know isn't ready we have to be ready to receive obvious comments about the things to improve.

It also interesting what happens when we hear and old recording that we did and thought it was ready and great... we usually discover that there were many things to improve there. But don't feel bad, it means that you have evolved as a musician and artist.

We could compare it to watching an old photo, we would say: oh no! what's happening with my hair there?? laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 14 2014, 07:44 AM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 13 2014, 01:06 PM) *
This is something that we need to have clear.. if it's ready or not. If we share something that we know isn't ready we have to be ready to receive obvious comments about the things to improve.

It also interesting what happens when we hear and old recording that we did and thought it was ready and great... we usually discover that there were many things to improve there. But don't feel bad, it means that you have evolved as a musician and artist.

We could compare it to watching an old photo, we would say: oh no! what's happening with my hair there?? laugh.gif

Precisely smile.gif This is an aspect that I usually argue on with my best friend and band mate Cezar - for him, things are almost never finished, because he feels like there's ALWAYS something that he could bring to a piece and make it better. I always say 'Dude, stop it! This way we'll NEVER finish!' How's it working in your band? smile.gif Who decides when something's ready or not?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 14 2014, 06:40 PM
Post #24

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 14 2014, 03:44 AM) *
Precisely smile.gif This is an aspect that I usually argue on with my best friend and band mate Cezar - for him, things are almost never finished, because he feels like there's ALWAYS something that he could bring to a piece and make it better. I always say 'Dude, stop it! This way we'll NEVER finish!' How's it working in your band? smile.gif Who decides when something's ready or not?

This was something that happened with the first recording of my band... first demo, first album, when you are still experimenting a lot and are not sure about the identity of your band. You feel insecure and you think that it's never over. This also depends on the personality of each musician, some are really obsessive and tend to be more nonconformist. The other members of a band should take the decision of saying.. ok, this is the finished album!

With my band, I was the most obsessive and also the one that decided when it was over. I was much more obsessive in the beginnings but I was searching for something that we weren't able to achieve at that moment. and that's the thing that we should know. Bands and musicians become better with experience and practice, so there is always a way to improve something, but once you get a good standard we should let it be, after all, our songs, recordings and albums are like photos. We are not searching for perfection, we are letting our spirit express.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 15 2014, 08:51 AM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 14 2014, 05:40 PM) *
This was something that happened with the first recording of my band... first demo, first album, when you are still experimenting a lot and are not sure about the identity of your band. You feel insecure and you think that it's never over. This also depends on the personality of each musician, some are really obsessive and tend to be more nonconformist. The other members of a band should take the decision of saying.. ok, this is the finished album!

With my band, I was the most obsessive and also the one that decided when it was over. I was much more obsessive in the beginnings but I was searching for something that we weren't able to achieve at that moment. and that's the thing that we should know. Bands and musicians become better with experience and practice, so there is always a way to improve something, but once you get a good standard we should let it be, after all, our songs, recordings and albums are like photos. We are not searching for perfection, we are letting our spirit express.

EXACTLY! Each song or album is a moment in time smile.gif A sound photography pf who you were and what you were experiencing at that time. Life doesn't stand still and neither should you - I'm not saying you should release songs in a raw form in which you are sure they are too far from what they should be, but neither hold on to a song, knowing that 'one day' you will be better and you will be able to play it faster, more expressive and so on smile.gif

How about you guys? What experiences did you have in respect to this idea?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2017 - 04:30 AM