Problem With Speed Picking
davaflava
Jul 12 2007, 06:03 AM
GMC:er
So i have been playing guitar for about 4 months now and just started to practice seriously. The problem with my speed picking is I get like and thick chunky sound with my speed picks. Am I not holding the pick right cause in Kristofer's lesson it looked to me he was holding the pick vertically. I hold mine at slightly at an angle. Is this another practice,practice,practice things or have I been doin' it wrong the entire time.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

Ain't that a Beaut?!?!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
davaflava
Jul 12 2007, 06:15 AM
this probably should be move up to masterclass guitar forum

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image

Ain't that a Beaut?!?!

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 12 2007, 07:03 AM
QUOTE (davaflava @ Jul 12 2007, 12:15 AM) *
this probably should be move up to masterclass guitar forum

I second that, but Ill still help you with this!!

Kris in the videos he does. When he shows things. Usually he exagerates, it alot, and he tells you. Its just so you can get a bigger picture. When speed picking, your best bet would be to have the pick around a 45 degree angle (something like that tongue.gif) Just a slight angle so the pick can slide over the strings smoother, and eaiser. The chunky sound may, or may not be. The pick sound. Say for instance. You just pick a note. and you hear the note, but then you hear another sound.Its kinda like a chunk, or a clunk or w/e. So it may jsut be that. So if I am correct. Just try to work on some muting, and hitting the strings not so hard.

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
davaflava
Jul 12 2007, 12:55 PM
but could i also be getting too much pick???

--------------------
IPB Image

Ain't that a Beaut?!?!

+Quote Post
Speedeh
Jul 12 2007, 04:30 PM
QUOTE (davaflava @ Jul 12 2007, 12:55 PM) *
but could i also be getting too much pick???

Yah, you could be digging in to the string too much. I did this too because at first I couldn't get a loud enough sound out of the string by using the very tip of the pick. Over time and with practice, I realized that I pick with the very tip and I'm also a lot faster than I was a few months ago.

I would never want to get rid of the pick crunch, though :) I like it because I never really heard it in music before I started playing guitar, and now I hear it in almost every song with a guitar. It's also useful because it helps you to hear the techniques other players are using, whether it be speedpicking, legato, etc.

Also, I went from medium Fender plastic picks to Dunlop Tortex .88 mm and saw a difference. The plastic picks felt too flimsy to me. Maybe you need stronger/thicker picks for now. The cool thing is once I learned to not dig in so much, I went back to the plastic picks and I feel faster with them.

+Quote Post
davaflava
Jul 13 2007, 12:03 AM
yeah, I'll make a trip down to my local music store and by some, I dont like those picks that come with the guitar

--------------------
IPB Image

Ain't that a Beaut?!?!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:03 AM