> Analyzed Within's Ep Track 6 Preview, Progressive Metal
thefireball
post May 20 2014, 04:19 PM
Post #1

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 9.801

Hello community! smile.gif

I haven't been around lately because I have been busy. Some of you may know my band Analyzed Within has planned on releasing an EP "soon". That soon has stretched out over nearly 2 years. Life is like that, and our studio guy's computer crashed a while back, so that was a major set back for a while. However, he is up and running. He and I have been in correspondence the past couple of days. He has sent me several mixes in which I critique to get the sound we're going for. I believe we finally settled on a "sound" for the EP. He said he will be able to apply the same basic mix, (for cohesion) to all the tracks on the EP, once I'm sure there's nothing else we want to change in a huge way.

This EP is going to be for free on Bandcamp. I have some bonus material included: wallpapers, old art designs, digital booklet, a small video of early development, and some pictures.

What do you think of this sample? I am very happy of this result.

https://soundcloud.com/fireball100/our-hope-is-here-ep-track-6-preview

When the archangel cries, the trumpets are sounded.
The dead, they will rise, damnation for those who have touted.
At the things we cried, we have something that mortal eyes no longer see. I long to see our way made up to the Father who brings glory to His name.
Our day is nigh. Our suffering will be replaced from on high with eyes that shine.

We can rest our weary souls for our hope is here.
The battle has been won, the prince of darkness vanquished by Him.

The battle has been won, the prince of darkness vanquished by the Son.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 20 2014, 05:01 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Brandon! Great job with this project!! It sounds very professional, not only because of the overall sound, but also because of the composition and ejection. This preview is very promising. I can notice some mix details to adjust, mostly related to levels that you should review but the overall sound is very good. Congratulations!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
thefireball
post May 21 2014, 04:06 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 20 2014, 11:01 AM) *
Hi Brandon! Great job with this project!! It sounds very professional, not only because of the overall sound, but also because of the composition and ejection. This preview is very promising. I can notice some mix details to adjust, mostly related to levels that you should review but the overall sound is very good. Congratulations!!

Thanks Gabriel! smile.gif Yeah I have been listening and noticed some things in the mix of the song, so I have been discussing this with my studio guy. It's getting exciting! smile.gif

What does everyone else think about the track?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 22 2014, 10:05 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

He Bran! I like it a lot! As usual, you are keeping a steady pace with the production of this material! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post May 22 2014, 10:18 AM
Post #5

GMC:er

Member No.: 17.265

I can't give a fair personal assessment of the mix because I'm listening from laptop speakers, but as always I am inspired by your guitar parts, execution and composition.

Keep up the great work! I know you're excited to get this out and start playing it live as a band for people.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post May 22 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #6

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

Well I think the composition and performance are fine.

My biggest issue is the mix as it really lets down the playing. There are quite a few things that I'd question about it and to be absolutely honest if it was sent to me to master at this point I'd ask for it to be re-done. At the moment it comes across to me more as a home studio demo mix than a final mix for an imminent release.

Sorry I know this isn't what you want to hear at this stage.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
thefireball
post May 24 2014, 04:08 PM
Post #7

Learning Roadie

To be honest, it is a home studio mix. He's not professional like those in commercial studios with treated rooms and high end equipment. He's my age and has mixed his own band before for our local communities to hear. I realize it will never sound like the big name bands, that's not really what I am expecting. I can't afford commercial, though it would be awesome. I really like how the mix turned out, and is way better than I could do. I plan on producing our next album, and I'm sure you all can steer me in the right direction as I tackle that soon. Are there some things you think can be easily fixed if I tell him? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post May 24 2014, 05:51 PM
Post #8

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (thefireball @ May 24 2014, 03:08 PM) *
... Are there some things you think can be easily fixed if I tell him? smile.gif

3 things which he could look at, 2 quick and easy, 1 not quite so -

1/ the track over emphasises the low mids and so is muddy
2/ the track lacks air in the high eq range
3/ gainstaging is wrong and the track's noise floor is poor.

1 and 2 should be relatively easy and quick, 3 is more difficult and may involve a re-record and remix but is really important. If he does 3 he should also look at instrument balance and levels and use of compression as they're also a bit of an issue.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 24 2014, 06:27 PM
Post #9

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Super Congrats!!! I really dig the riffs and the song works as a song which is a HUGE accomplishment in itself!! smile.gif Well done there! As Mr. Miro mentioned there are some issues in the mix that just come as part of the deal given realities of home production and learning as you go. The good news is, despite all that IT STILL RAWKS which is really important smile.gif A pristine mix that has no groove does nothing for me personally. So you've got the groove down which is awesome smile.gif

It's a constant learning process and as you mentioned, your producing the next one so you can get wads of advice as you start pre production and then tracking for your next one. It just takes wads of repetition to get better at tracking/mixing, just like it takes wads of practice to get better at guitar smile.gif

Super Awesome Jobs just getting to the end of the project itself. That's a HUGE step and one that many folks never achieve. Onward!!

QUOTE (thefireball @ May 20 2014, 11:19 AM) *
Hello community! smile.gif

I haven't been around lately because I have been busy. Some of you may know my band Analyzed Within has planned on releasing an EP "soon". That soon has stretched out over nearly 2 years. Life is like that, and our studio guy's computer crashed a while back, so that was a major set back for a while. However, he is up and running. He and I have been in correspondence the past couple of days. He has sent me several mixes in which I critique to get the sound we're going for. I believe we finally settled on a "sound" for the EP. He said he will be able to apply the same basic mix, (for cohesion) to all the tracks on the EP, once I'm sure there's nothing else we want to change in a huge way.

This EP is going to be for free on Bandcamp. I have some bonus material included: wallpapers, old art designs, digital booklet, a small video of early development, and some pictures.

What do you think of this sample? I am very happy of this result.

https://soundcloud.com/fireball100/our-hope-is-here-ep-track-6-preview

When the archangel cries, the trumpets are sounded.
The dead, they will rise, damnation for those who have touted.
At the things we cried, we have something that mortal eyes no longer see. I long to see our way made up to the Father who brings glory to His name.
Our day is nigh. Our suffering will be replaced from on high with eyes that shine.

The battle has been won, the prince of darkness vanquished by Him.

The battle has been won, the prince of darkness vanquished by the Son.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post May 25 2014, 10:55 PM
Post #10

Learning Roadie

Good to know, guys.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 26 2014, 10:38 AM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

Godspeed Bran!

Just follow the suggestions on the mix and you will definitely get there 100% - the compositions are great! I would add one more thing - you need a to spend a bit more time in building the vocal lines as in this moment they seem a bit linear to me, as an overall view.

You need to develop the catch factor in the vocal lines more than anything wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post May 26 2014, 04:22 PM
Post #12

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 26 2014, 04:38 AM) *
Godspeed Bran!

Just follow the suggestions on the mix and you will definitely get there 100% - the compositions are great! I would add one more thing - you need a to spend a bit more time in building the vocal lines as in this moment they seem a bit linear to me, as an overall view.

You need to develop the catch factor in the vocal lines more than anything wink.gif

OK we can work on vocal lines harder next album for sure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 27 2014, 08:08 AM
Post #13

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (thefireball @ May 26 2014, 03:22 PM) *
OK we can work on vocal lines harder next album for sure.

There's always room to improve, but the vocals - mate, pay particular attention to them smile.gif In the ears of the average listener, the vocals are almost synonimous to the song itself...

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
post May 27 2014, 02:37 PM
Post #14

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 27 2014, 02:08 AM) *
There's always room to improve, but the vocals - mate, pay particular attention to them smile.gif In the ears of the average listener, the vocals are almost synonimous to the song itself...

OK. I guess it comes with practice and experience because I didn't know they could be improved. smile.gif I mentioned the mix issues to my studio guy and he said he will do his best to address them. Glad I have GMC to help.

This post has been edited by thefireball: May 27 2014, 02:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 28 2014, 07:47 AM
Post #15

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (thefireball @ May 27 2014, 01:37 PM) *
OK. I guess it comes with practice and experience because I didn't know they could be improved. smile.gif I mentioned the mix issues to my studio guy and he said he will do his best to address them. Glad I have GMC to help.

Of course mate smile.gif But you always have to keep the important things in mind when writing music wink.gif Looking forward to hearing the improved mix.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th March 2017 - 02:36 PM