> Guitar Lifetime, And service
ElHombre
post May 20 2014, 11:19 PM
Post #1

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.679

Hey guys

I know have 2 guitars that I am really happy with and hope to have these guitars as my guitars of service for the rest of my life ^^
Hopefully. Its a 6 string and a 7 string of the same brand which has been the best for me in terms of playability.

This made me think of two things.

Since I like these guitars so much, how do I service them in the best way?
I dont do anything except cleaning the fretboard with lemon oil, and of course If I have money Ill take it to a tech once a year
for a setup/adjustment.

When does frets wore out?

What are is lifetime of the neck, the pickups, the floyd/bridge?
Will you end up replacing your whole guitar after 10 + years?

Its 2 top quality guitars

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
post May 20 2014, 11:39 PM
Post #2

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

I've been playing the same guitar for about 17-18 year I think and it didn't get a fret job yet (would be nice but nothing bad at the moment), it was the priciest ibanez RG at the time and quality does matter on the long run. It also depends on your playing style and expectations.

For instance, I never did a lot of bends and actually practiced to lighten the touch of my left hand. I have a friend with a cheap ibanez GRG (his first guitar) and it needed refretting after just 2 years of use.

You seem to be taking care of the guitars just fine, but also clean the strings after playing (even with just toilet paper is good enough, there are products for this too though) as skin from finger tip when dried on the string is the worst thing for the frets. Also the Lemon oil is guitar specific right? there are some sold that can be used for cooking and they are very acidic.

Pickups should last a lifetime but also For Floyd you must be careful ay some things. If you adjust string height too often, the part that lays on the 2 big bolt will need sharpening. When locking strings don't squeeze too much or the blocks can break (very cheap though and easy to find if needed). Use dry cloth when cleaning it, non-specific cleaning chemical can ruin the metals surface in time.

Oh and when tuning the guitar don't turn the tuning pegs too fast, it will shorten its life. After 10-15 years its always good to re-solder the connections. I probably forgot some stuff but sure other will remind smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post May 20 2014, 11:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4.733

if their top quality and have stainless steel frets- those should never wear out, so if you have to get them replaced , thats they way to go.as far as the floyd , that should last. I have imitation Floyd's and just have to replace the springs once in while and maybe the bar. I too take mine in for a yearly set up

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 21 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi friend, I don't have to much experience with guitar maintenance. I just focus on playing and when there are some issues with my guitar I usually take it to a professional to check it. However, nothing serious happened to my guitars yet. The most important thing that I did is changing the frets (to my old Ibanez which I then sold) and tuners (to my Gibson Studio).

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 21 2014, 11:56 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Owning anything for an entire lifetime is something you won't really know worked out until your at the end of the "life" part smile.gif Many things change with time, and you may find at some point that you've falling in love with new guitars and out of love with the old ones, even though that thought barely seems possible now.

Either way it's a good idea to take care of your guitars smile.gif Part of that is finding a good luthier somewhere nearby IMHO. Someone who spends the bulk of their day just taking care of instruments. I know how to basically take care of a guitar, but I don't do it every day, for a living. There are guys that are just better various bits than I'll ever be So finding a good one is a good idea. Just like finding a good mechanic for your car.

QUOTE (ElHombre @ May 20 2014, 06:19 PM) *
Hey guys

I know have 2 guitars that I am really happy with and hope to have these guitars as my guitars of service for the rest of my life ^^
Hopefully. Its a 6 string and a 7 string of the same brand which has been the best for me in terms of playability.

This made me think of two things.

Since I like these guitars so much, how do I service them in the best way?
I dont do anything except cleaning the fretboard with lemon oil, and of course If I have money Ill take it to a tech once a year
for a setup/adjustment.

When does frets wore out?

What are is lifetime of the neck, the pickups, the floyd/bridge?
Will you end up replacing your whole guitar after 10 + years?

Its 2 top quality guitars

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post May 22 2014, 02:23 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 17.304

I have a Strat that I bought new in 1983 and it's still one of my main 'players'.
I also have an Ibanez that I bought new in 1979. Again, still use it all the time.
Never any serious maintenance issues with either. I've changed the pickups on both and the Ibby got a new pickguard. Both cases wore out. One re-fret on each and 'normal' maintenance - that's it.

*I have instruments and amps that are older than that and they seem to be mostly intact and fine. Again - normal maintenance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
post May 22 2014, 04:26 AM
Post #7

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

I have the attitude that if your into something it's a good idea to learn how to keep your machine oiled and running tip top, instead of taking it to someone who is going to do what you can easily do yourself, with just a little research and practice. There are times when you need a mechanic, but I like messing with stuff and doing it on my own.
Setting neck intonation action and all that stuff is simple. And I won't ever need to take my guitar just to have him hold on to it for days for something that could be done in just a hour or two.
But refretting and filing the nut or messing with electronics I would probably take it to a luthier.
Also from my experience, when taking your guitar to someone for set ups you need to be specific on how how want it, some of it is preference. To know how to do it yourself lets you dial in your perfect set up.
That's just how I feel about it. But I like to fix stuff and tear stuff apart. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by dcz702: May 22 2014, 04:30 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post May 22 2014, 08:19 AM
Post #8

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 21 2014, 10:04 PM) *
Hi friend, I don't have to much experience with guitar maintenance. I just focus on playing and when there are some issues with my guitar I usually take it to a professional to check it. However, nothing serious happened to my guitars yet. The most important thing that I did is changing the frets (to my old Ibanez which I then sold) and tuners (to my Gibson Studio).

That makes two of us smile.gif Maintenance for me, means dusting and cleaning and if an issue arises, I take them to my tech to set them back in shape. But other than that, nothing smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2017 - 06:51 AM