Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Noooooooo!, Free reunion to feature Bonamassa..Aaaaaargh!
Becca
post May 27 2014, 10:35 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.626

Please tell me its not true someone.
There are plans afoot for a reunion of one of Britains greatest EVER bands.
The indescribably brilliant FREE.
Unfortunately I have been told that to replace Koss they are planning to get that over rated smug git Joe Bonamassa in. ohmy.gif
What are they thinking? Presumably because he was rich enough to buy Pauls battered old LP(and possibly get its famous intonation issues ironed out,it was widely known Koss was the only one who could play it in tune).
Seriously, I know he is a big fan of Kossoff but this is beyond the pale. Have you seen the YouTube clips of him committing unspeakable acts to Mr Big?
Oh.. its all too much for me. I am going to have a lie down and some cocoa.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
post May 27 2014, 10:46 AM
Post #2

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

LOL! I actually think this will be most awesome biggrin.gif
I like JB he's an amazing player.

This post has been edited by bleez: May 27 2014, 10:49 AM

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post May 27 2014, 11:37 PM
Post #3

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

QUOTE (bleez @ May 27 2014, 01:46 AM) *
LOL! I actually think this will be most awesome biggrin.gif
I like JB he's an amazing player.

+1. I think JB would compliment the band Free beautifully and cover any song they ever did as good as, or better than the original. To me it seems like an excellent choice and I am looking forward to hearing how it turns out if this is really in the works. I have listened to JB since Bloodline, and think he is more than up to the task of sitting in with Free. He could probably play those old tunes in his sleep. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 28 2014, 12:04 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

It honestly might be quite an improvment smile.gif I'm a HUGE fan of Joe B, as are many others. I'm sure he will bring some great energy and vibe, not to mention tone and chops smile.gif

FREE had a couple of songs I really liked but not much beyond that. So maybe I'm less offended by a bit of member swapping smile.gif

QUOTE (Becca @ May 27 2014, 05:35 AM) *
Please tell me its not true someone.
There are plans afoot for a reunion of one of Britains greatest EVER bands.
The indescribably brilliant FREE.
Unfortunately I have been told that to replace Koss they are planning to get that over rated smug git Joe Bonamassa in. ohmy.gif
What are they thinking? Presumably because he was rich enough to buy Pauls battered old LP(and possibly get its famous intonation issues ironed out,it was widely known Koss was the only one who could play it in tune).
Seriously, I know he is a big fan of Kossoff but this is beyond the pale. Have you seen the YouTube clips of him committing unspeakable acts to Mr Big?
Oh.. its all too much for me. I am going to have a lie down and some cocoa.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post May 28 2014, 08:23 AM
Post #5

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Becca @ May 27 2014, 10:35 AM) *
Have you seen the YouTube clips of him committing unspeakable acts to Mr Big?

Yeah, I think I saw that one, he begins by introducing the Koss guitar?
I thought the version of Fire and Water Joe done with Paul Rodgers at the Beacon gig was brilliant, have you seen that one, its really cool.
I like Free, Koss and Joe..... the prospect of this collab is way cool, sorry Becca

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post May 28 2014, 10:59 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

I guess it could have been worse. It could have been CC DeVille laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post May 28 2014, 12:54 PM
Post #7

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 28 2014, 10:59 AM) *

LMAO! in full poison era outfit, hairspray and high heels laugh.gif

... maybe Abbath could do it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 28 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Well said!!! smile.gif Now that would be offensive.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 28 2014, 05:59 AM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Becca
post May 28 2014, 04:38 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (bleez @ May 28 2014, 07:23 AM) *
Yeah, I think I saw that one, he begins by introducing the Koss guitar?
I thought the version of Fire and Water Joe done with Paul Rodgers at the Beacon gig was brilliant, have you seen that one, its really cool.
I like Free, Koss and Joe..... the prospect of this collab is way cool, sorry Becca

Hey Bleez. er..I just watched that YouTube clip of Fire and Water.... OMGA !!! I stand corrected. He has the sound and feel absolutely spot on. Hands up, I was wrong about him. I still not keen on his own blues stuff though. I only own Dustbowl by him and it sends me to sleep. Just too smmooooth, you know? So while typing this I put A New Day Yesterday on Spotify for research. Still not my bag.Yet I love Jeff Healey, Weird. Is there a Bonamassa album that he really tears it up on? I would love to listen to something that makes me go "Ah, now I get it".

Ha Ha, that would certainly be something to see (and hear). I just watched a vid recommended by Bleez and I have totally changed my mind about his fit in Free.
He absolutely nailed Fire and Water. Not just tone but the hardest thing "feel". I am a firm believer in credit where its due and he made me rethink my position on that.
Leaving Smokin' Joe aside I am at a complete loss as to who would spring to mind to play as Kossoff in Free. Slash ? Too mental. Knopfler? Too coma inducing. Any ideas guys?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post May 28 2014, 07:37 PM
Post #10

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Becca @ May 28 2014, 04:38 PM) *
Hey Bleez. er..I just watched that YouTube clip of Fire and Water.... OMGA !!! I stand corrected. He has the sound and feel absolutely spot on. Hands up, I was wrong about him. I still not keen on his own blues stuff though. I only own Dustbowl by him and it sends me to sleep. Just too smmooooth, you know? So while typing this I put A New Day Yesterday on Spotify for research. Still not my bag.Yet I love Jeff Healey, Weird. Is there a Bonamassa album that he really tears it up on? I would love to listen to something that makes me go "Ah, now I get it".

cool! Glad you liked it smile.gif I was really impressed when I saw it. TBH I kinda got into JB's playing from his stuff with Black Country Communion then started listening to his solo stuff. Their 3rd album was a little weak IMO but the first two were really cool.
If you have the time, here are a couple of my fav Bonamassa tracks cool.gif
This is from the same gig with paul rodgers, the whole song is great but the solo at 4:04 is phenomenal ohmy.gif

this one from BCC. 'A song of yesterday'.... Im sure you recognise the title cool.gif yeah...... its not that one! again, its a brilliant song but the solo at the end is just fantastic.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by bleez: May 28 2014, 07:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Becca
post May 28 2014, 10:43 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (bleez @ May 28 2014, 06:37 PM) *
cool! Glad you liked it smile.gif I was really impressed when I saw it. TBH I kinda got into JB's playing from his stuff with Black Country Communion then started listening to his solo stuff. Their 3rd album was a little weak IMO but the first two were really cool.
If you have the time, here are a couple of my fav Bonamassa tracks cool.gif
This is from the same gig with paul rodgers, the whole song is great but the solo at 4:04 is phenomenal ohmy.gif

this one from BCC. 'A song of yesterday'.... Im sure you recognise the title cool.gif yeah...... its not that one! again, its a brilliant song but the solo at the end is just fantastic.

Attached Image

Ha ha, I love the photoshop laugh.gif laugh.gif Is that Randy Rhoades? I cant quite make it out on my ipad. Now that guy was just awesome. His playing gives me goosebumps. I liked both those clips. I am really surprised. It must be the live setting makes his playing much more dynamic for me. That is the first I heard of Black Country Communion too. If they are on Spotify I will check them out later, the first two albums are best,yes?
Are you a SAHB fan? I see you are in Scotland and I believe it is illegal there not to possess at least one SAHB album laugh.gif Zal Cleminson is one of my heroes. It was seeing them play that made me want to go for the career in music. I loved the theatricality of SAHB.
Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction of stuff I would like. 'Tis much appreciated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 28 2014, 11:04 PM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Hey! What did I miss here? I honestly don't remember if I've ever heard Free, but I think that Joe Bonamassa is a very good blues player. Regarding his works about Mr. Big... I don't know what you are talking about... what did he say?

Who is the guitarist that he will have to replace? Do you have any video of him playing?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
post May 29 2014, 03:27 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 17.304

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
post May 29 2014, 08:25 AM
Post #14

Experienced Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Becca @ May 28 2014, 10:43 PM) *
Ha ha, I love the photoshop laugh.gif laugh.gif Is that Randy Rhoades? I cant quite make it out on my ipad. Now that guy was just awesome. His playing gives me goosebumps. I liked both those clips. I am really surprised. It must be the live setting makes his playing much more dynamic for me. That is the first I heard of Black Country Communion too. If they are on Spotify I will check them out later, the first two albums are best,yes?
Are you a SAHB fan? I see you are in Scotland and I believe it is illegal there not to possess at least one SAHB album laugh.gif Zal Cleminson is one of my heroes. It was seeing them play that made me want to go for the career in music. I loved the theatricality of SAHB.
Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction of stuff I would like. 'Tis much appreciated.

y'know I dont have any Alex Harvey stuff at all sad.gif in fact I had to google Zal Cleminson! please dont tell anyone mellow.gif Ive only heard a few of their tracks, they are kinda odd.
yeah, first couple of BCC albums, I thought, were really good.
btw its cc deville in the pic cool.gif Randy would be equally awesome though.

So Becca, this Free reunion.... is it definitely happening? Ive not heard anything about it but Im totally banking on it now smile.gif if they take that band on tour, man that would be amazing to see.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 28 2014, 11:04 PM) *
Hey! What did I miss here? I honestly don't remember if I've ever heard Free, but I think that Joe Bonamassa is a very good blues player. Regarding his works about Mr. Big... I don't know what you are talking about... what did he say?

Who is the guitarist that he will have to replace? Do you have any video of him playing?

Paul Kossoff was the guitarist in Free, died really young about 25 or so. The Mr Big reference - Its a song by Free, theres some youtube vids of Joe B covering it live..... its maybe not the best cover version he's done to be fair. Although Paul Rodgers vocals especially in Free were really excellent, I imagine it would be very difficult to replicate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Becca
post May 29 2014, 12:07 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (bleez @ May 29 2014, 07:25 AM) *
y'know I dont have any Alex Harvey stuff at all sad.gif in fact I had to google Zal Cleminson! please dont tell anyone mellow.gif Ive only heard a few of their tracks, they are kinda odd.
yeah, first couple of BCC albums, I thought, were really good.
btw its cc deville in the pic cool.gif Randy would be equally awesome though.

So Becca, this Free reunion.... is it definitely happening? Ive not heard anything about it but Im totally banking on it now smile.gif if they take that band on tour, man that would be amazing to see.

Paul Kossoff was the guitarist in Free, died really young about 25 or so. The Mr Big reference - Its a song by Free, theres some youtube vids of Joe B covering it live..... its maybe not the best cover version he's done to be fair. Although Paul Rodgers vocals especially in Free were really excellent, I imagine it would be very difficult to replicate.

It's ok Bleez, my lips are sealed. Your secret is safe with me. And the thousands of GMC members worldwide of course. I am listening to BCC 1st lp right now. OMGA (oh my giddy aunt, my secular alternative to omg smile.gif ) Its Glenn Hughes!! ex Trapeze Glenn Hughes. And It rocks!
Now I get it !!
Maybe I will check out JB's live albums too.
As for the reunion I was told this on the 'phone by a music journalist pal. According to him it is being seriously talked about. I have searched on the web but cannot find anything substantial so maybe we have a GMC exclusive here!!
How cool is that?
And For anyone unfamiliar with Sensational Alex Harvey Band here is Faith Healer. Fans of Michael Schenker will recognise the rythm section from MSG

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th December 2017 - 08:39 AM