If you're a metalhead and can’t remember...
Gabriel Leopardi
May 29 2014, 03:43 PM
Instructor
...last time you turned the gain down? Even if you are a pure metalhead there a many advantages to playing and practicing without distortion.

These are some of the advantages that I find:

- You can hear what you play clearer so it's easier to detect if you are playing everything tight and clean.
- You don't have all the sustain that you have when you play with distortion so everything depends more on your fingers. Sustain can be achieved with a effective vibrato.
- Legato requires more strength to sound good, and these means a more effective training.
- Dynamics are easier to note and work when you play clean.
- We always say that tone is developed from our fingers, so what can be better than working on your tone using the clean channel?

Give it a try and let us know how it felt!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 29 2014, 04:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 29 2014, 03:43 PM) *
...last time you turned the gain down? Even if you are a pure metalhead there a many advantages to playing and practicing without distortion.

These are some of the advantages that I find:

- You can hear what you play clearer so it's easier to detect if you are playing everything tight and clean.
- You don't have all the sustain that you have when you play with distortion so everything depends more on your fingers. Sustain can be achieved with a effective vibrato.
- Legato requires more strength to sound good, and these means a more effective training.
- Dynamics are easier to note and work when you play clean.
- We always say that tone is developed from our fingers, so what can be better than working on your tone using the clean channel?

Give it a try and let us know how it felt!
blasphemy,blasphemy I say,okay ,I often practice using these as well as switching pick-ups

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 29 2014, 06:05 PM
GMC:er
Wait a sec, I can play without distortion? smile.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 29 2014, 11:27 AM) *
blasphemy,blasphemy I say,okay ,I often practice using these as well as switching pick-ups

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 30 2014, 01:33 AM
Instructor
hahahah I know that metal is a religion that doesn't allow clean channels... but trust me, those pros are real!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2014, 02:46 AM
Well, I was learning some "Swing" licks from KRIS DAHL today again in the chat room and he was using very little distortion and it sounded amazing!!! I was playing my Rusty Cooley 8 string the other day during a Kris Dahl chat and it sounded pretty good with the volume knob rolled back to nearly clean doing some crazy finger picking licks he was trying to show me smile.gif

So I gotta say, this playing clean/semi clean thing is somewhat new to me, but I"m liking it!!! I plan to add some Kris Dahl licks to upcoming lessons!!

He was soloing over a SIR JAMSALOT backing that was just killer. I hope they share the final!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 29 2014, 08:33 PM) *
hahahah I know that metal is a religion that doesn't allow clean channels... but trust me, those pros are real!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 30 2014, 04:33 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
You can't do 80's metal without a clean intro with lots of reverb and chorus.... so that's why I play clean laugh.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2014, 05:04 AM
Very true! smile.gif But that's not really lead stuff. Just clean background chord stuff. I've been branching in to lead type bits that I'm stealing whole cloth from Mr. Dahl smile.gif He's got killer hybrid picking technique and a very percussive playing style/tone that's just alien to me.

However, I was able to pitch in during his chat today and demonstrate some fast all down stroke technique using the finger/thumb for increased articulation!

QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 29 2014, 11:33 PM) *
You can't do 80's metal without a clean intro with lots of reverb and chorus.... so that's why I play clean laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 30 2014, 05:04 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 30 2014, 04:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 30 2014, 12:33 AM) *

Like this?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 1 2014, 09:36 AM
Instructor
I started to appreciate tone better and I realized the expression potential of low gain tones when I grew up a bit more smile.gif

Less gain, means more expression and when you are preparing for a difficult gig, play the hardest parts with as less gain as possible - when you will be onstage and you will have the normal amount of gain, they will seem FAR easier to perform because of the rough training you had wink.gif

Trust me on this one, it's what I do with Pantera solos - NO delay, NO boost just crunch and hand control when practicing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 1 2014, 03:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 1 2014, 05:36 AM) *
I started to appreciate tone better and I realized the expression potential of low gain tones when I grew up a bit more smile.gif

Less gain, means more expression and when you are preparing for a difficult gig, play the hardest parts with as less gain as possible - when you will be onstage and you will have the normal amount of gain, they will seem FAR easier to perform because of the rough training you had wink.gif

Trust me on this one, it's what I do with Pantera solos - NO delay, NO boost just crunch and hand control when practicing

This is an excellent suggestion. Practicing just with crunch can give a dramatic change in our playing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 2 2014, 07:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 1 2014, 02:47 PM) *
This is an excellent suggestion. Practicing just with crunch can give a dramatic change in our playing.

Indeed! There's this little teeny tiny lick that Dimebag plays in 'Revolution is my name' - check out minute 02:48 that has always given me trouble when I performed it onstage, because of the pinky that was not comfortable enough to pull it off while being relaxed.

I took the gain to a minimum and practiced that lick isolated, until the pinky was comfortable playing it.

That's my study case smile.gif Have you guys tried reducing gain? Share your story on a situation in which this helped your playing biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 2 2014, 06:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 2 2014, 03:20 AM) *
Indeed! There's this little teeny tiny lick that Dimebag plays in 'Revolution is my name' - check out minute 02:48 that has always given me trouble when I performed it onstage, because of the pinky that was not comfortable enough to pull it off while being relaxed.

I took the gain to a minimum and practiced that lick isolated, until the pinky was comfortable playing it.

That's my study case smile.gif Have you guys tried reducing gain? Share your story on a situation in which this helped your playing biggrin.gif

That's a killer lick! Do you play it strictly with alternate picking or combine picking with legato?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 3 2014, 07:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 2 2014, 05:47 PM) *
That's a killer lick! Do you play it strictly with alternate picking or combine picking with legato?

I combine picking with legato - although now that you have thrown the glove tongue.gif I will also practice it with alternate picking for the next gig.

I usually tend to find constructive ways in which I can perform while also moving - this tune - like many other Pantera tunes - can't be played while 'sitting on a chair' biggrin.gif and I need to be sure that I can pull it off in style and play while standing in the middle of the crowd in club. I tried this last Saturday and it felt amazing! Also, I am VERY happy about my amp and new cabinet smile.gif

There's a trick I learned - when I was onstage, I had some feedback from the hi gain and Cezar advised me to roll off the volume pot JUST A TINY bit and it worked biggrin.gif No more feedback smile.gif Have you guys tried this in a live context in order to ditch the feedback created when the gain is too high, but lowering it wouldn't be an option?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2014, 04:43 AM
Sure!! smile.gif Of course, some folks use a volume pedal for much the same thing. But it's very handy to do it right on the guitar smile.gif The new volume knob I got recently with the glowing numbers on it is very helpful for this. At a glance you can see where you left the volume which is handy smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 3 2014, 02:20 AM) *
I combine picking with legato - although now that you have thrown the glove tongue.gif I will also practice it with alternate picking for the next gig.

I usually tend to find constructive ways in which I can perform while also moving - this tune - like many other Pantera tunes - can't be played while 'sitting on a chair' biggrin.gif and I need to be sure that I can pull it off in style and play while standing in the middle of the crowd in club. I tried this last Saturday and it felt amazing! Also, I am VERY happy about my amp and new cabinet smile.gif

There's a trick I learned - when I was onstage, I had some feedback from the hi gain and Cezar advised me to roll off the volume pot JUST A TINY bit and it worked biggrin.gif No more feedback smile.gif Have you guys tried this in a live context in order to ditch the feedback created when the gain is too high, but lowering it wouldn't be an option?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 4 2014, 07:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 4 2014, 03:43 AM) *
Sure!! smile.gif Of course, some folks use a volume pedal for much the same thing. But it's very handy to do it right on the guitar smile.gif The new volume knob I got recently with the glowing numbers on it is very helpful for this. At a glance you can see where you left the volume which is handy smile.gif

That could be a VERY valuable mod on a guitar smile.gif I was wondering what other things I could possibly improve on my axe - there ya go biggrin.gif Thanks man!

What other things aside pickups and keys have you guys improved on your guitars?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 4 2014, 04:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 3 2014, 03:20 AM) *

yes, I try to use the less drive possible (for a metalhead of course) because guitar always sounds clearer in the mix when the sound is cleaner. That's how I set my amp, and then I always have my overdrive pedal to have more sustain during the solos.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 5 2014, 07:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 4 2014, 03:40 PM) *
yes, I try to use the less drive possible (for a metalhead of course) because guitar always sounds clearer in the mix when the sound is cleaner. That's how I set my amp, and then I always have my overdrive pedal to have more sustain during the solos.

Exactly! And in Days of Confusion, this is simpler to take care of, now that we perform live with 3 guitars - our drive sound is composed out of a wall of guitars which are not that overdriven, but since there's three of them, the sensation of greatness is increased smile.gif

Here's a live recording with the new guy on main vocals - you guys might recognize certain riffs in this tune tongue.gif

We will perform like this from now on, so that I can play the guitar as well and handle some of the vocal duties in the same time smile.gif It's always an everchanging journey!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 5 2014, 03:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 5 2014, 03:36 AM) *
Exactly! And in Days of Confusion, this is simpler to take care of, now that we perform live with 3 guitars - our drive sound is composed out of a wall of guitars which are not that overdriven, but since there's three of them, the sensation of greatness is increased smile.gif

Here's a live recording with the new guy on main vocals - you guys might recognize certain riffs in this tune tongue.gif

We will perform like this from now on, so that I can play the guitar as well and handle some of the vocal duties in the same time smile.gif It's always an everchanging journey!

Wou! That sounds VERY powerful!! Is this guys the new lead singer? I can notice that his voice is very close to yours. Why did you take this decision of getting back to guitar?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 6 2014, 08:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 5 2014, 02:42 PM) *
Wou! That sounds VERY powerful!! Is this guys the new lead singer? I can notice that his voice is very close to yours. Why did you take this decision of getting back to guitar?

Thank you man! Well, I just needed to get out there with the guitar as well - it was a strong urge and we all agreed upon the fact that we should do this change as long as the person stepping in as the lead vocalist can be at least at the level I was (I don't see myself as a brilliant vocalist, but then again, I wouldn't let someone step in without being sure that he is at least at my level).

In this way, we will perform with 3 guitars and three voices biggrin.gif I will be performing some entire song parts and play the guitar as well. That's just perfect for me wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:34 PM