> "music Is Dying"?
Todd Simpson
post Jun 4 2014, 05:19 AM
Post #21

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Another fine point smile.gif VIDEO GAMES and other licensing opportunities are yet another crucial part of your success. Just like with building an audience of fans, you may have to give away some tracks to get them included in games/movies/etc. until you develop a track record. At that point you can start charging fees and it can be very lucrative smile.gif But like anything else, it's a long slog and the prize is at the end of the rainbow, not the start.

Todd

QUOTE (AdamB @ Jun 3 2014, 06:52 AM) *
I think music needs to evolve into something more than just a track you listen to or a show you go to. Art has to explore new ideas, and I believe the only way to do this when you get to an art as mature as music is through a new medium, such as interactive experiences.

I think video games are the way forward, but I don't feel anyone has yet made a truly interesting video game that achieves what I think is capable by combining interactivity, narrative and audio, I think it's still to come.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
post Jun 4 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #22

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.225

I instantly disagreed with AdamB and his point but it did get me thinking.

I think he is sadly right, for this generation. How many people put on an album and sit and actively listen to it, not having it on in the background whilst doing something else, but just sit and listen to the music as an activity?

We used to do this, but then we got too busy with other distractions like the internet etc

We just don't have that sort of attention span to do this anymore, we might be able to listen to one track without our minds wandering somewhere else.

So while I disagree and think that music is important and powerful enough to be a stand alone art form without having to incorporate something else for it to be a viable purchase, I don't think we are capable enough to appreciate it for what it is anymore as we continue devolving.

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jun 4 2014, 08:25 AM

--------------------
Currently Working on

PosterBoy's Modern Riffing with Gabriel

PosterBoy's Bootcamp with Todd

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Axe Fx Ultra - GCP Pro

+Quote Post
AdamB
post Jun 4 2014, 03:28 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 2.224

I take your point but I think that it's easy to say 'things were better when...'

I can see where you're coming from with the distractions, however I don't really agree. I think people don't realise how much control they have over themselves and their environment. There's nothing stopping people from listening to music as a sole activity - if you're not doing that, it's because you are choosing not to do it. People in general are choosing not to do it. And I think that's the important point - people are choosing.

There's nothing physically stopping you from sitting down at home, turning off the TV/computer/phone etc. and just putting on an album and listening to it. You are choosing not to do that. You can blame external influence, but you have free will. Do what you want to do!

What I think is more true, is that people now have activities to do instead that resonate with them more, and if music is to continue to be culturally relevant it has to keep up with that change. You can't just point at the past and say 'it was better back then when what we had was the beatles on the wireless', that time has gone and nostalgia is standing in the way of you enjoying the now.

Instead of musicians lamenting no-one listening to their album on Spotify because it's one of a trillion high quality albums that were all released on the same day, they should make a new audience for their music. My example is make an interactive music experience and release it on a platform like Steam. You'll have zero competition, a captive audience waiting to be exploited and a truck load of fresh ideas that can be explored with your music that cannot be explored through traditional music or film, and most important of all - you'll make something that no-one else is doing. That's what creativity is about.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jun 4 2014, 03:55 PM
Post #24

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (AdamB @ Jun 4 2014, 02:28 PM) *
... 'things were better when...'

A ha. It wasn't that long ago that many thought that the 'correct' way to listen to music was live performance, whether at a concert hall or around the piano in someone's front room after dinner. Recorded music could only be some reductive pale imitation of the live event.

Move on a few years and popular radio for many years have played single tracks from albums and only rarely will play an album in its entirety from beginning to end. John Peel was a bit of an exception in the UK as he was a great one for putting on an album and going to the bathroom whilst leaving it playing...

Forward a little bit more and I'm old enough to remember the furore that surrounded 'Classic FM' and their tendency to play oly the popular movement from a classical work. Back then there were a lot of classical music listeners who were up in arms about this saying it was the death of music and pandering to the lowest common denominator...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 4 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

Some great replies smile.gif I have to say that I think the "best" way for folks to listen to music, is any way that they like. Some folks, listen while playing a video game, some folks listen while watching a movie, either to the music in the movie or to a playlist playing during the movie while they text on their phone and play Call of Duty on the side.

People have different ways of taking in music that all work for them in one way or another smile.gif For the practicing musician, allowing for this is crucial. It's important to try to provide your music in as many formats/platforms as possible so that the listener can enjoy it on their terms IMHO.

Sure, payouts from streaming are pathetic, physical sales have never been lower, listening is no longer it's own activity. The only constant is change and it's accelerating smile.gif The good news is, there have never, ever, been more outlets for folks to discover music. There have never, ever, been such a low barrier to entry and distribution of your music. So, while some things may have changed for the worse, I'd say the changes for the better far outweigh them smile.gif

What do you guys say?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 4 2014, 08:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jun 4 2014, 09:17 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 17.304

I have no desire anymore to discuss the 'state' of music and/or the music business.
Whatever it was then, whatever it is now and most likely whatever it will be ... was/will has never been precisely or properly anticipated. Also, what it was, what it is and what it will be has and will probably continue to work for me.

I will say this though ...
If you want to actually 'be' a musician(?), you need to listen - I'm not talking about practicing or playing - just plain old listening as an activity, by itself and for itself. Active listening.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 4 2014, 09:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 5 2014, 09:07 AM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 4 2014, 08:17 PM) *
I will say this though ...
If you want to actually 'be' a musician(?), you need to listen - I'm not talking about practicing or playing - just plain old listening as an activity, by itself and for itself. Active listening.

Listening is an activity in itself indeed smile.gif I remember my mom coming into my room when I was a teenager and asking - what are you doing? I said, I am listening to music. She seemed baffled all the time, because she couldn't understand how one can just sit and do nothing. But I wasn't doing nothing, I was listening to music ACTIVELY smile.gif

I still do this, but usually I don't have that much time as I did back then, so I will listen to new music on the street - I walk a lot - or when I clean the house.

How do you guys listen to music and when? Are you able to fully focus on it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Becca
post Jun 5 2014, 10:54 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 19.626

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 5 2014, 08:07 AM) *
Listening is an activity in itself indeed smile.gif I remember my mom coming into my room when I was a teenager and asking - what are you doing? I said, I am listening to music. She seemed baffled all the time, because she couldn't understand how one can just sit and do nothing. But I wasn't doing nothing, I was listening to music ACTIVELY smile.gif

I still do this, but usually I don't have that much time as I did back then, so I will listen to new music on the street - I walk a lot - or when I clean the house.

If I really want to play an album I still have to actively listen to it. I have to make time in my day to do so. This is especially true of an album I am hearing for the first time. My preferred method is in the lounge, feet up and a cup of coffee. Bliss. Otherwise I am usually listening to stuff I already know in the car to and from work.
There is no doubt that listening habits have changed. I can be a passive listener but to really enjoy a new piece of work, It has to be my old fashioned way for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 5 2014, 03:54 PM
Post #29

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 5 2014, 05:07 AM) *

yeah! this is what I used and still do. Just sit to listen to music. I remember one day when my mother came into my room and saw me sit down in front of the player listening to music and asked: "music makes you forget about everything, doesn't it?". The reason of the question was that I was extremely hungry before we arrived home, but I also had a new CD, so when I arrived home I started to listen to it and forgot about the necessity of eating... laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jun 5 2014, 04:03 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 17.304

I 'actively' listen at home a bit. Not nearly as much as I did when I was a kid (or before married, fatherhood, homeownership) but I still do it.

One of the benefits for a musician living in Los Angeles is that we have to spend some time in our cars in traffic at least a few times a week. That's where I do the bulk of my 'real' listening.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 5 2014, 06:25 PM
Post #31

Group Icon

I do the same thing, as I"m guessing many here do smile.gif

But we are musicians so it's a bit of a different thing than your average listener.

For most folks these days, listening to music just isn't it's own thing. But as was mentioned, if you plan to be a musician, you do need to be able to listen actively without distractions smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 6 2014, 07:19 AM
Post #32

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 5 2014, 05:25 PM) *
I do the same thing, as I"m guessing many here do smile.gif

But we are musicians so it's a bit of a different thing than your average listener.

For most folks these days, listening to music just isn't it's own thing. But as was mentioned, if you plan to be a musician, you do need to be able to listen actively without distractions smile.gif

Great points from everyone and Todd has spotted a great difference between people that make music and the rest of the folks. Our nature pushes us to listen to things differently indeed smile.gif

For instance, I bought new strings for my guitars yesterday and I sat quietly in the evening and cleaned them all and changed the strings. In this time I played the acoustic album of a good friend - I posted some of his music in the forum before, but now that he released his album and remembering this discussion that we are having here, I wanted to be able to really listen to his work. I must say, I had A GREAT hour in which those sounds totally mesmerized me.... Here's the promo to his album:

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 03:53 AM