> How Well Do You Know Your Gear?
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 4 2014, 04:54 PM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Buying new gear or trading old one must be one of the most fun things we musicians do and we usually do it regularly.

This makes me wonder, how well do you know your gear?
Do you read the manual for every device you get and how deep do you dive into getting to know your new pedal, amp or effects processor.
Do you watch review videos for the same piece of gear looking for "extra info" you might have missed?

I started to note the importance of this when i got more complex devices like Line 6 Pod processors and also their stomp-boxes. It included many inputs, outputs, settings, menu,amps. I knew that the only way to get the best from it was reading the manual and checking how more experimented users get the most from it. This could also be applied to software plug ins and daws.

I know quite a few musicians who got really excited and got tons of new pedals but for some reason never took time to go deeper into the tones they can get so they might actually be missing quite a lot or even ruining their overall tone for this reason. This went to the extreme where one guy told me when I asked him about the tones and quality of the pedal : "I don't know, I haven't really experimented with it.". What is the point of having it in the pedalboard then?

How well do you know your gear?
How much time you invest into experimenting with that new piece in your guitar signal chain?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Jun 4 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

I'm a manual reader.

I don't necessarily experiment for hours with my signal chain unless I need to look for new/specific sound.
I mark my pedals for settings.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jun 4 2014, 05:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Jun 4 2014, 05:57 PM
Post #3

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

Skim the manual before installation just to make sure there aren't any connectivity issues and install with a mutlimeter to hand. Otherwise I then spend a few hundred hours plus with a new piece getting to know it and letting it bed in fully before I'm happy enough to routinely let it loose on a paying job. With some kit it can take many, many hours before you really can say you know it, how it intereacts with other kit and that you're getting the best from it for mastering.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 4 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

I"m a bit OCD on new gear cause I'm so curious to find out what all it can do. Also, I'm looking for a VERY VERY VERY specific tone and hunting it down usually means going through every setting and using odd bits to shape tone like delay/chorus instead of just using them as efffects.

When I got my LINE 6 POD XT I tried every single amp/setting in the box. It took me nearly a week of intense use. Only to find that my tone WAS NOT In that little box so I got rid of it.

Thankfully my next unit was the 11rack and my tone was hiding in there smile.gif The secret on some processors (like the 11) is NOT to use Guitar Cabs on the Guitar Tone. The ONLY cab I use on the 11 is the 8x10 ampeg bass cab smile.gif But I had to try every cab and mic to find it.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 4 2014, 11:54 AM) *
Buying new gear or trading old one must be one of the most fun things we musicians do and we usually do it regularly.

This makes me wonder, how well do you know your gear?
Do you read the manual for every device you get and how deep do you dive into getting to know your new pedal, amp or effects processor.
Do you watch review videos for the same piece of gear looking for "extra info" you might have missed?

I started to note the importance of this when i got more complex devices like Line 6 Pod processors and also their stomp-boxes. It included many inputs, outputs, settings, menu,amps. I knew that the only way to get the best from it was reading the manual and checking how more experimented users get the most from it. This could also be applied to software plug ins and daws.

I know quite a few musicians who got really excited and got tons of new pedals but for some reason never took time to go deeper into the tones they can get so they might actually be missing quite a lot or even ruining their overall tone for this reason. This went to the extreme where one guy told me when I asked him about the tones and quality of the pedal : "I don't know, I haven't really experimented with it.". What is the point of having it in the pedalboard then?

How well do you know your gear?
How much time you invest into experimenting with that new piece in your guitar signal chain?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 4 2014, 10:39 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 4 2014, 04:28 PM) *
I"m a bit OCD on new gear cause I'm so curious to find out what all it can do. Also, I'm looking for a VERY VERY VERY specific tone and hunting it down usually means going through every setting and using odd bits to shape tone like delay/chorus instead of just using them as efffects.

When I got my LINE 6 POD XT I tried every single amp/setting in the box. It took me nearly a week of intense use. Only to find that my tone WAS NOT In that little box so I got rid of it.

Thankfully my next unit was the 11rack and my tone was hiding in there smile.gif The secret on some processors (like the 11) is NOT to use Guitar Cabs on the Guitar Tone. The ONLY cab I use on the 11 is the 8x10 ampeg bass cab smile.gif But I had to try every cab and mic to find it.

And this is the reason why you are a big inspiration for us all here. You are always providing new stuff and ideas regarding guitar sound. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Jun 5 2014, 01:14 AM
Post #6

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

i take the time to read most my manuals, and play with my pedals to get to know them, but i dont really know some things as well as i would like to, like logic pro x. i would like to take the time to learn how to use it better, i can do basic things with the drummer and record myself but i really dont know what half of the stuff in logic does.

i was wondering do you use a line 6 pod for most of your recordings on the rec and for your band? i was alwys interested in that unit but dont know how it compares to what im using now

+Quote Post
Mith
post Jun 5 2014, 02:58 AM
Post #7

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.821

I read into the manuals pretty deeply. I also try and read as many tutorials and reviews as possible.
Ever since I got the GNX4 when it first came out I've been really into amp modelling.
Not only do I enjoy having so many amps to pick from but I can also really expiriments with effects and tones.
One of the best things about modelling is the ability to share tones.
Its great to import a whole heap of tones and just mess around
nothing better than finding a tone you wern't even looking for.

But you can have the other extreme of knoing your equipment too well were you spend more time tweeking and adjusting equipment then you do actually playing guitar

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 5 2014, 03:14 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Well thanks!!! smile.gif Good to know my obsessive knob/setting/preset work is going to good use smile.gif It can certainly be a HUGE time suck. I do honestly enjoy doing it though, which helps smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 4 2014, 05:39 PM) *
And this is the reason why you are a big inspiration for us all here. You are always providing new stuff and ideas regarding guitar sound. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Jun 5 2014, 03:20 AM
Post #9

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 4 2014, 07:28 PM) *

Hey Todd I know your a Mac/logic guy. What does the eleven rack do? Is it something I can plug right into my Mac and use with logic to get great sounds from modeling? Is this piece of gear easy to use, is it similar to a axe fx? I saw one used on craigslist and remembering you talking about it before. Is it basically the same idea as using a line6 pod?
I'm thinking of putting my blackstar ht 20 up for sale and getting the eleven rack.

This post has been edited by dcz702: Jun 5 2014, 03:52 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 5 2014, 03:45 PM
Post #10

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 4 2014, 11:20 PM) *
Hey Todd I know your a Mac/logic guy. What does the eleven rack do? Is it something I can plug right into my Mac and use with logic to get great sounds from modeling? Is this piece of gear easy to use, is it similar to a axe fx? I saw one used on craigslist and remembering you talking about it before. Is it basically the same idea as using a line6 pod?
I'm thinking of putting my blackstar ht 20 up for sale and getting the eleven rack.

Hi mate, I think that you are right, this rack is comparable to Axe Fx and Pod HD, and I think that it's in the middle of both. Todd is extremely happy with this one so it must be a killer machine. He will be here soon with more info.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 5 2014, 06:21 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

The 11 Rack is just a mult fx processor with a usb 2 interface/sound card built in. It was designed as a front end for pro tools so it's got a full preamp stage for microphone as well as an xlr jack on the front. It can let you record process and unprocessed tracks to your daw at the same time.

So far it's the ONLY multi fx that I've found under $500 (used of course and that was my goal price point) that has the ability to get the high gain KRUNCH I'm looking for smile.gif Funny thing is, it's not used by Metal guys as much as the AXE FX and is used a lot by folks who like classic amps with lower/medium gain for it's accurate emulation of vintage amps.

You plug it in to your mac via USB smile.gif And you can use it to go clean in to your mac and use LOGIC for guitar processing or GUITAR RIG or whatever smile.gif Very easy to use. Presets are actually pretty good compared to others. Turn on twist knob to select patch, done.

I prefer it to a live amp for home recording. Sounds great recorded direct via usb or with a guitar cable direct to your soundcard. High gain tone without waking the neighbors smile.gif My best acquisition in years.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 4 2014, 10:20 PM) *

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 6 2014, 09:18 AM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

I am the exact opposite to Todd smile.gif That's one important reason for which I like simple things. A pedal should do one thing and it should do it best of all. My rig has to be simple and provide great tone. I read the user manuals but they are usually not that difficult to read because the products I get are simple tongue.gif

You know there's an old martial arts saying - 'Beware not the warrior who knows 1000 techniques, but that one who knows one and has truly mastered it.'

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 11:39 PM