Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Amp Is Acting Up
dcz702
post Jun 11 2014, 08:56 AM
Post #1

Learning Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.838

so im playing right now through my mesa boogie mini rec. and every couple minutes i hear the volume cut very fast like a quik blip. very noticable, im hopeing this is a simple fix like the tubes are bad? is that whats causing it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Seriphroth
post Jun 11 2014, 01:05 PM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 19.748

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 11 2014, 07:56 AM) *
so im playing right now through my mesa boogie mini rec. and every couple minutes i hear the volume cut very fast like a quik blip. very noticable, im hopeing this is a simple fix like the tubes are bad? is that whats causing it?

I have a line 6 spider valve and when the powee amp valves start to go my volume fluctuates every few minutes so i would say its time for a tube change and if you have never changed tubes make sure u get the power amp tubes rebiased.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
post Jun 11 2014, 01:20 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4.733

QUOTE (Seriphroth @ Jun 11 2014, 01:05 PM) *
I have a line 6 spider valve and when the powee amp valves start to go my volume fluctuates every few minutes so i would say its time for a tube change and if you have never changed tubes make sure u get the power amp tubes rebiased.

+1

+Quote Post
Spock
post Jun 11 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 17.265

I would also suggest not trying to replace tubes on your own based on internet tutorials.

Evidently an amp can hold enough of a charge, even when unplugged, to kill someone.

But yes - your problem sounds exactly like a tube issue. I was told that with very moderate playing your tubes probably need changing every 2 to 3 years. If you're gigging and running them hot with practice and on weekends, you're lucky to make it a year.

Mine started with a scratchy loss of volume, then the volume would come back normal. This went on until one day I heard a big scratch and then there was no sound whatsoever. So there were 8 tubes in all (4 big and 4 small) replaced, diodes and rebiased. It didn't cost that much either, like $140 or $160 I think - I was very pleased with the outcome - made it sound brand new and the funny thing is that I didn't realize I was losing tone until I heard it with new tubes, the loss is gradual.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jun 11 2014, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Jun 12 2014, 04:28 AM
Post #5

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

Thanks guys.
I thought would be tubes.
The mini rectifier is a fixed bias design, states that in some forums.
So that means I can swap out the tubes as long as they are the same?
And don't know how to tell wich tubes are out.
Maybe I should call mesa tech support and get instruction. Never had to do this before.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 07:57 PM