> Ibanez Loves 0.9
Mertay
post Jun 12 2014, 01:04 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

So after 4-5 years I tried 0.9 string again instead of 0.10. Right hand got so comfortable while left needs to adjust smile.gif

Felt so weird as the guitar simply "liked" 0.9's but at first I couldn't understand what I noticed. The sound sure changed but it was something else...

Then I realized, the headstock wasn't vibrating anymore. After adjusting the neck and trem. height, the buzzing-to-string tension was much better. Not loving the cleans to be honest but it got more shreddy thats for sure smile.gif I feel like Michael Angelo Batio now as my hands are so strong biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 12 2014, 10:20 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 12 2014, 04:39 AM
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Some folks LOVE 10's but personally I don't. I LOVE 9's smile.gif ESPECIALLY on my Ibanez guitars. The 10s just feel wrong on my Wizard necks. With Super Slinky 9 sets on there, They are pinch easier on bending and thus offer a finer level of control IMHO. Some folks wanna really lean in to it and use 12s smile.gif God Bless em! Sometimes I"ll just the bottome 3 from a 10 set on the low strings but rarely. Since I play 7 and 8 string guitars, I"ve got low strings to go to without having to down tune smile.gif

Of course, this requires getting used to much bigger/wider/thicker necks, but you don't lose an entire string just to downtuning. But again, to each his own smile.gif Some folks tune to an open G!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 11 2014, 08:04 PM) *
So after 4-5 years I tried 0.9 string again instead of 0.10. Right hand got so comfortable while left needs to adjust smile.gif

Felt so wired as the guitar simply "liked" 0.9's but at first I couldn't understand what I noticed. The sound sure changed but it was something else...

Then I realized, the headstock wasn't vibrating anymore. After adjusting the neck and trem. height, the buzzing-to-string tension was much better. Not loving the cleans to be honest but it got more shreddy thats for sure smile.gif I feel like Michael Angelo Batio now as my hands are so strong biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 12 2014, 06:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 12 2014, 12:17 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

The only downside I'm currently noticing is HM/PO's got harder with the thinner strings (tapping is not which is interesting...). Also when playing stuff I'm used to, 0.10's had a more legato feel to them. Nothing too hard but the sync. of left and right hand needs little more attention.

What really surprised me was how the pickups lost all the character on both clean and heavy gain smile.gif its not that bad on distortion specially for shred but if I buy a guitar for its tone I'll never be using 0.9's on them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
post Jun 12 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 12.764

For me it deals with the size of the neck. When I played Gibsons I had some 11s for standard tuning it helped due to that nice thick neck that I could grab on and just really bend them up! As I got into the thinner necks such as PRS, EBMM, Deans, I started to use 10s may also be because the scale length changed from 24.75 to 25.5 also! laugh.gif But ever since I became an Ibanez junkie I've dropped into 9s for E and then every full step down I tune I just go up a gauge it seems to work well that way for me. As for the bends on 9s I can almost do those with 3 fingers and not a thumb on the neck. Feels great being able to have that kind of control and lack of tension in my hands. Helps me stay more relaxed as I play.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG920QM (Black Ice) , Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez RG470XL (Black Perl) , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Kemper Profiling Amp , Mesa Mark 5:25

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jun 12 2014, 04:01 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 12 2014, 04:39 AM) *
Some folks LOVE 10's but personally I don't. I LOVE 9's smile.gif ESPECIALLY on my Ibanez guitars. The 10s just feel wrong on my Wizard necks. With Super Slinky 9 sets on there, They are pinch easier on bending and thus offer a finer level of control IMHO. Some folks wanna really lean in to it and use 12s smile.gif God Bless em! Sometimes I"ll just the bottome 3 from a 10 set on the low strings but rarely. Since I play 7 and 8 string guitars, I"ve got low strings to go to without having to down tune smile.gif

Attached Image

I'm with T-Sim here... 9's all the way. Just more comfortable and the tone shift isn't too large from 10's in my opinion. This is a perfect link into another subject that I've just started https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry688926

To me, anything that makes your life easier is to be embraced. We're not gladiators here, we're just makin' noises on bits of wood ! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 12 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

I have noticed that 9's (being thinner sets) can sometimes require a bit more aggressive picking than to 10s + in order to sound "gainier" but I dislike 10s for that very reason. A lot of my tone comes from my right hand and how hard or light I'm striking. With thicker strings, you can only back off so far IMHO.

But again, to each his own smile.gif I wouldn't say I'd "never" use a 10 set, it would all just depend on how given strings sounded on a given a given guitar. I did prefer the 10 set on my RG8 8 string but I don't like them at all on my Rusty Cooley 8 string for example.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 12 2014, 07:17 AM) *
The only downside I'm currently noticing is HM/PO's got harder with the thinner strings (tapping is not which is interesting...). Also when playing stuff I'm used to, 0.10's had a more legato feel to them. Nothing too hard but the sync. of left and right hand needs little more attention.

What really surprised me was how the pickups lost all the character on both clean and heavy gain smile.gif its not that bad on distortion specially for shred but if I buy a guitar for its tone I'll never be using 0.9's on them smile.gif

Well said smile.gif I can bend the high three strings with a single finger when needed and maintain control. Big part of why I prefer them on the high strings for lead smile.gif

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 12 2014, 10:16 AM) *
For me it deals with the size of the neck. When I played Gibsons I had some 11s for standard tuning it helped due to that nice thick neck that I could grab on and just really bend them up! As I got into the thinner necks such as PRS, EBMM, Deans, I started to use 10s may also be because the scale length changed from 24.75 to 25.5 also! laugh.gif But ever since I became an Ibanez junkie I've dropped into 9s for E and then every full step down I tune I just go up a gauge it seems to work well that way for me. As for the bends on 9s I can almost do those with 3 fingers and not a thumb on the neck. Feels great being able to have that kind of control and lack of tension in my hands. Helps me stay more relaxed as I play.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 12 2014, 10:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 12 2014, 11:31 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 12 2014, 09:40 PM) *
I have noticed that 9's (being thinner sets) can sometimes require a bit more aggressive picking than to 10s + in order to sound "gainier" but I dislike 10s for that very reason. A lot of my tone comes from my right hand and how hard or light I'm striking. With thicker strings, you can only back off so far IMHO.

But again, to each his own smile.gif I wouldn't say I'd "never" use a 10 set, it would all just depend on how given strings sounded on a given a given guitar. I did prefer the 10 set on my RG8 8 string but I don't like them at all on my Rusty Cooley 8 string for example.

To balance the tone I increased the height of the pickups. Since thicker is more magnetic by lowering them I guess thats how I managed to get various picking tones from 10's. Increasing the height solved the impact problem for distortion from 9's but on cleans now its more "poppy" sounding biggrin.gif

Remember I was complaining about my tonezone being too characteristic regardless of height and even modification? (not good on powerchords) now thats solved biggrin.gif I'm actually quite happy with it for shred, setted them really close to strings since its alnico 5 and has high resistance the guitar basically plays by itself biggrin.gif

I will modify my Air norton again though to have fuller cleans, I guess I can't do without a nice clean tone somewhere around the switch biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 13 2014, 12:33 AM
Post #8

Group Icon

Well done wink.gif A bit off pickup height adjustment can have great results depending on a few variables. Though not always as you found smile.gif One my old Bella Lugosi guitar I actually angled the pickup slightly closer to the strings on the high strings and slightly lower away from the strings on on the low strings.

It was using a seymour duncan blackout II and it seemed to really even things out. Before that, the lower strings were way overpowering the higher ones at the same strike intensity.

I too LOVE alnico 5 magnets!! smile.gif They are clean and clear and you can push them hard if you need to and get plenty of crunch. I like Alnico 8 mags too but it seems some woods are too resonant for them.

Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 12 2014, 06:31 PM) *
To balance the tone I increased the height of the pickups. Since thicker is more magnetic by lowering them I guess thats how I managed to get various picking tones from 10's. Increasing the height solved the impact problem for distortion from 9's but on cleans now its more "poppy" sounding biggrin.gif

Remember I was complaining about my tonezone being too characteristic regardless of height and even modification? (not good on powerchords) now thats solved biggrin.gif I'm actually quite happy with it for shred, setted them really close to strings since its alnico 5 and has high resistance the guitar basically plays by itself biggrin.gif

I will modify my Air norton again though to have fuller cleans, I guess I can't do without a nice clean tone somewhere around the switch biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 13 2014, 12:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 13 2014, 01:49 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Just finished modifiying air norton, turned out better than expected smile.gif damn I wish I made a soundclip from 0.10s to 0.9s after adjustment but really wasn't expecting such effort at the beginning tongue.gif

Anyway, one nice thing about dimarzio alnico's are that one side of the magnet is rough cast while other is smooth, like this;

So I was using the normal side before with the metal bar on screw poles. From prev. experience I know the screw side is more open sounding than the bolt, so I aired the screw side to get rid of that unwanted highs. I also used the rough cast side of the magnet, it makes the sound fuller as its magnetic field is more complicated. Only downside is its slightly lessens the output but since its the neck humbucker not so important.

As I killed the highs gently, fret buzz acoustically doesn't reflect much to the amp sound. 0.9's fret buzz is really ear piercing compared to 0.10, now pretty much everything bugging me after the change is eliminated I happy biggrin.gif hopefully this summer my workload will decrease and I'll join 1-2 collab.s here to enjoy them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 13 2014, 02:45 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

I think I get a better idea of what you are saying smile.gif You mean after you specifically modified the actual magnets in your pickups, the tones being translated to the amp were a pinch harsher with 9s as they are thinner wound and tend to have higher harmonic overtones. So your mods were evidently exaggerating the upper harmonic overtones getting to your amp. I can see that sounding a bit shrill smile.gif Is that what was happening?

At first it sounded as if you were saying you just swapped strings and all the sudden your tone turned treble happy smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 12 2014, 08:49 PM) *
Just finished modifiying air norton, turned out better than expected smile.gif damn I wish I made a soundclip from 0.10s to 0.9s after adjustment but really wasn't expecting such effort at the beginning tongue.gif

Anyway, one nice thing about dimarzio alnico's are that one side of the magnet is rough cast while other is smooth, like this;

So I was using the normal side before with the metal bar on screw poles. From prev. experience I know the screw side is more open sounding than the bolt, so I aired the screw side to get rid of that unwanted highs. I also used the rough cast side of the magnet, it makes the sound fuller as its magnetic field is more complicated. Only downside is its slightly lessens the output but since its the neck humbucker not so important.

As I killed the highs gently, fret buzz acoustically doesn't reflect much to the amp sound. 0.9's fret buzz is really ear piercing compared to 0.10, now pretty much everything bugging me after the change is eliminated I happy biggrin.gif hopefully this summer my workload will decrease and I'll join 1-2 collab.s here to enjoy them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 13 2014, 04:09 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Yes! biggrin.gif

Treble happy on distortion, felt single coil-ish or like using a treble booster right after string conversion. The sensitivity naturally increased but cleans were unbearable to me smile.gif so I had to round the highs somehow without loosing attack! if I didn't know how to mod. I'd definitely change the pickups as soon as I can biggrin.gif

This experience actually though me for future pickup selection (on shred). I thing I'd like to find the sweetest (but not muddy) high-end on a pickup as possible for the neck smile.gif

I have to test guitars but just guessing, an open-ish but still sweet sounding neck (noiseless) single+ a fat bridge that can scream easily should make the perfect combo (specially when switch is at middle position) for me. GAS warning! must test more guitars! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 13 2014, 04:21 AM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

I was talking with Cosmin in another thread about our tendency of going thicker and here I find our enemies going on the opposite direction, this is just the beginning of this war, and remember, I have already formed my army called Gab's Army. biggrin.gif

not seriously, I'm now using Eb tuning to play live and some songs are even in Drop C# so I found more stable thicker strings. How do you find 09 for riffing? don't you have pitch issues when you play hard?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Jun 13 2014, 04:42 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

I can't speak for others but especially on my double locking tremelo guitars, the tuning is rock solid. On my 8 string guitars, usually it's the low 7 and low 8 that tend to drift a bit when you really hit em hard smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 12 2014, 11:21 PM) *
I was talking with Cosmin in another thread about our tendency of going thicker and here I find our enemies going on the opposite direction, this is just the beginning of this war, and remember, I have already formed my army called Gab's Army. biggrin.gif

not seriously, I'm now using Eb tuning to play live and some songs are even in Drop C# so I found more stable thicker strings. How do you find 09 for riffing? don't you have pitch issues when you play hard?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 13 2014, 04:52 AM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 13 2014, 12:42 AM) *
I can't speak for others but especially on my double locking tremelo guitars, the tuning is rock solid. On my 8 string guitars, usually it's the low 7 and low 8 that tend to drift a bit when you really hit em hard smile.gif

Are you planning to use thicker strings on them?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
post Jun 13 2014, 09:11 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 12.764

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 12 2014, 11:21 PM) *

I've never had an issue with 9s. But then I use 9-46 not the 9-42, I've always liked that bit more of a bite at the top end. Plus it helps me when I drop tune so that I don't have to worry if my E/A start to get that flubby feeling as fast.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG920QM (Black Ice) , Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez RG470XL (Black Perl) , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Kemper Profiling Amp , Mesa Mark 5:25

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 13 2014, 11:59 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 13 2014, 03:21 AM) *

Same here with Todd, locking rules! biggrin.gif but also what if playing gigs most (like 4-5 days) of the week?

I don't but I do know finger trips start to sour/hurt after a certain work tempo no matter how experienced/professional one is. 0.9 strings also avoid this better (there is 0.8 but I don't trust them for stage as they might break)

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 13 2014, 12:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Jun 13 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #17

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 13 2014, 11:59 AM) *
(there is 0.8 but I don't trust them for stage as they might break)

I haven't had any problems with 8's.. but I've never used them live and the lower strings might break earlier due to aggressive rhythm playing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
post Jun 14 2014, 01:52 PM
Post #18

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 18.014

I've experimented with my configurations on my later S prestige with a Wizard II neck? I have always played on 9's because working on cars burns my hands out. I've had so many hand problems and pains that I tried everything to lesson the amount of work. I even tuned to B standard with 9's which did not sound very good but was super slinky, I liked that. My hand pains never changed but I never thought of increasing my string gauge.

Until...... Cosmin and I discussed baritone guitar tuning. Then I discovered that I did not have to play as hard on thicker strings. I was shocked! Playing B standard with 72-13 gauge felt really good. The problem was that my guitar could not handle the strings and I decided to go back to standard tuning but did not go back to 9's. See my other guitar is standard and has 9'a on it and when I played it I lost control. I couldn't feel the strings so I settled for 48-11 on my ibanez. The bridge tension is maxed out and I need stronger springs but the bridge is nearly perfectly level and she holds a good tune so I'm fine with it. I'm going to keep this configuration, for me it's a nice balance.

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Jun 14 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

For fast playing there are some advantages on thicker strings. Specially on jumbo frets yes with the right setup a 0.10 can need pretty much the same hand strength as 0.9's because it vibrates less and setuped lower+fret buzz can be noticed a bit lesser on amp. Its also more magnetic which also helps.

I used 0.10s all this time not only because of tone but picking hand control can also easier depending on what is played. Muting power chord stuff to me are harder but scale stuff (specially the more complicated types) is easier to play cleaner. First rule is though pick must be squeezed less or maybe placed closer to the index finger tip...

I'm currently using Fender stainless steel 0.9's, still liking it after a few days but I think I want a tiny bit more tension on strings. Must test but I'm pretty sure some other brands strings will give more of the feel I'm looking for.

Oh I also love 0.11 too and want a hollowbody guitar for that smile.gif intention is mainly clean sound but if bending is not involved they are very shreddable smile.gif I use computer so feedback isn't much of a problem as I read thats the reason they aren't preferred on stage using aggressive distortion.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 11:44 AM