Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 25 2014, 07:23 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

Great lessons. I love learning more about theory smile.gif

I have one question. I hope it doesn't sound stupid

The third lesson a B diminished chord is being played and the lesson is being played in C Major

C major doesn't contain any flats or sharps and a Diminished Triad = R b3 b5

So the notes of the B Dim chord being played are B F and D

How does the notes tie in with the formula

Hey bro - the question is not stupid at all - it is a very good one!

Now, the formula is 1 b3 b5 - that means that the intervals are flattened with a half step not that the notes are flat!

If we would have 1 3 5 - a major chord, having B as a root note - that is a B major chord - we would have B D# F#, right?

But because the diminished formula dictates that we should lower the 3rd and 5th steps with a half step - the 'b' in front of each step, we get:

B D F

These notes belong to the C major scale, so it's all ok smile.gif

The main rules that you need to keep in mind whenever you are harmonizing a natural major scale and it's modes:

- you can only have minor, major or diminished chords
- the notes making up the chords have to be a part of the scale/mode you are harmonizing

Let me know if this makes sense to ya, man smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
post Jun 26 2014, 08:03 AM
Post #22

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 9.844

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 26 2014, 07:32 AM) *
Hey bro - the question is not stupid at all - it is a very good one!

Now, the formula is 1 b3 b5 - that means that the intervals are flattened with a half step not that the notes are flat!

If we would have 1 3 5 - a major chord, having B as a root note - that is a B major chord - we would have B D# F#, right?

But because the diminished formula dictates that we should lower the 3rd and 5th steps with a half step - the 'b' in front of each step, we get:

B D F

These notes belong to the C major scale, so it's all ok smile.gif

The main rules that you need to keep in mind whenever you are harmonizing a natural major scale and it's modes:

- you can only have minor, major or diminished chords
- the notes making up the chords have to be a part of the scale/mode you are harmonizing

Let me know if this makes sense to ya, man smile.gif

Ah I see Cosmin. Makes perfect sense. I thought the note was getting flattened not the interval

Thanks very much mate smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 26 2014, 08:31 AM
Post #23

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 26 2014, 07:03 AM) *
Ah I see Cosmin. Makes perfect sense. I thought the note was getting flattened not the interval

Thanks very much mate smile.gif

Hehehe! I knew that's what was on your mind tongue.gif Do you think you could harmonize the E major scale for instance, with the newly acquired knowledge?

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
post Jun 26 2014, 01:45 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 26 2014, 08:31 AM) *
Hehehe! I knew that's what was on your mind tongue.gif Do you think you could harmonize the E major scale for instance, with the newly acquired knowledge?

Here goes Cosmin smile.gif

Major scale 2212221 E major scale = E F# G# A B C# D#
F# G# A B C# D# E
G# A B C# D# E F
A B C# D# E F# G#
B C# D# E F# G# A
C# D# E F# G# A B
D# E F# G# A B C#

Triad Formula 1 3 5
E G# B = E major
F A C# =F# minor
G# B D# =G# minor
A C# E =A Major
B D# F# =B Major
D# F# A =D# minor

So these Triads Harmonize the E Major scale

Am I on the right path smile.gif

This post has been edited by liveOASISforever: Jun 26 2014, 02:13 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 27 2014, 08:15 AM
Post #25

Instructor
Group Icon

It's perfect, with one little exception smile.gif Why is D# minor? Think about the interval created between D# and A - is it a perfect 5th? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Jun 27 2014, 10:29 AM
Post #26

Learning Tone Seeker

Member No.: 17.838

I'm taking a short break from lessons right now concentrating on covers, working on seek and destroy, black dog, and immigrant song. Trying to put solid covers together before a try to start a cover band. Thinking it's time for me to start playing with others.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 27 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #27

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 27 2014, 09:29 AM) *
I'm taking a short break from lessons right now concentrating on covers, working on seek and destroy, black dog, and immigrant song. Trying to put solid covers together before a try to start a cover band. Thinking it's time for me to start playing with others.

Smartest move, if you are to ask me, mate! Playing with people compares with nothing wink.gif

How are you planning to put up the band? Or do you already have a crew which is preparing just as you are?

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Jun 27 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #28

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 27 2014, 10:34 AM) *
Smartest move, if you are to ask me, mate! Playing with people compares with nothing wink.gif

How are you planning to put up the band? Or do you already have a crew which is preparing just as you are?

ive been searching craiglist musician classified for months now, lots of people on craigslist looking for guitar players or guitar players looking for other people. the one thing that bugs me is that most of the adds say "we are doing covers, contact us if your interested" or " we are a originall metal band looking for a guitar player to audition", there are so many, who do i call and what are they playing and what do i need to know and learn? and i wish there were some clips and vids of them to listen to and watch, but there are none.
so i thought i would learn a bunch of tunes i really like and that are popular with most people who know these bands, and most poeple know the songs im learning even if thats not your type of music. when i learn them, ill record with video and post on craiglist, what i would like to do, and give a link of my covers with vid of my playing, that way anyone interested would know exactly where im at and what i know, then we could all be on the same page from the start. thats my idea anyway smile.gif

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
post Jun 27 2014, 09:58 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 12.764

I'm trying to compose I guess kinda. I love watching everyone who takes songs and remakes them with their own spin/sound to them. So I've been trying to do this myself with simpler songs and in the process it's helping my ears greatly if I must add. I seem to be playing better overall since I've started attempting little clips. (Amature laugh.gif ) But I've been making things quite a bit longer lately and taking the time to note down lyrics to chords and then hitting up the scale generator to see what scales I can use to play over it.

2 Months ago was this , Mad World took the modern version of Gary Julez.
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/mad-junk-test/s-DFjOV

1 Month ago , You're Beautiful - James Blunt
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/pretty/s-SxtUp

1 Month ago , Apologize - One Republic
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/apologize_b-d/s-DAcmj

Currently, I've been working on Let It Go - Frozen (Movie)
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/let-it-gotracking-test

And yes Gab, since you added drums to my one Creative Lesson, I started to try to do mine own also! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG920QM (Black Ice) , Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez RG470XL (Black Perl) , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Kemper Profiling Amp , Mesa Mark 5:25

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
post Jun 28 2014, 05:17 AM
Post #30

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 27 2014, 08:15 AM) *
It's perfect, with one little exception smile.gif Why is D# minor? Think about the interval created between D# and A - is it a perfect 5th? biggrin.gif

I see what you mean Cosmin. It is a flattened 5th which would make the chord a D#Dim smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 28 2014, 07:08 AM
Post #31

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jun 28 2014, 04:17 AM) *
I see what you mean Cosmin. It is a flattened 5th which would make the chord a D#Dim smile.gif

Good call mate! Now you got it! But what would happen if I would ask you to make the chords 7th chords smile.gif How would the chords look like in this situation? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 28 2014, 09:28 AM
Post #32

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 27 2014, 11:59 AM) *
ive been searching craiglist musician classified for months now, lots of people on craigslist looking for guitar players or guitar players looking for other people. the one thing that bugs me is that most of the adds say "we are doing covers, contact us if your interested" or " we are a originall metal band looking for a guitar player to audition", there are so many, who do i call and what are they playing and what do i need to know and learn? and i wish there were some clips and vids of them to listen to and watch, but there are none.
so i thought i would learn a bunch of tunes i really like and that are popular with most people who know these bands, and most poeple know the songs im learning even if thats not your type of music. when i learn them, ill record with video and post on craiglist, what i would like to do, and give a link of my covers with vid of my playing, that way anyone interested would know exactly where im at and what i know, then we could all be on the same page from the start. thats my idea anyway smile.gif

Your approach is a professional one indeed. Regardless of the position in which you find yourself - the one who's looking for a spot in a band or the band who's looking for one to fill the spot, you should be offering compelling info so that you will substantially raise your chances of success.

I for one would place vids with every style I can play, both as an improv and in the context of a known song. In that way, they will see that you are also a creative person not only a good executioner.

What songs did you have in mind, man?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 28 2014, 03:47 PM
Post #33

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 27 2014, 05:58 PM) *
I'm trying to compose I guess kinda. I love watching everyone who takes songs and remakes them with their own spin/sound to them. So I've been trying to do this myself with simpler songs and in the process it's helping my ears greatly if I must add. I seem to be playing better overall since I've started attempting little clips. (Amature laugh.gif ) But I've been making things quite a bit longer lately and taking the time to note down lyrics to chords and then hitting up the scale generator to see what scales I can use to play over it.

2 Months ago was this , Mad World took the modern version of Gary Julez.
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/mad-junk-test/s-DFjOV

1 Month ago , You're Beautiful - James Blunt
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/pretty/s-SxtUp

1 Month ago , Apologize - One Republic
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/apologize_b-d/s-DAcmj

Currently, I've been working on Let It Go - Frozen (Movie)
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/let-it-gotracking-test

And yes Gab, since you added drums to my one Creative Lesson, I started to try to do mine own also! biggrin.gif

Great job man! You are right, this is a very good training for your ears and in the end, you are also training your composition and arranging abilities. It's also great to know that you are slowly starting to add drums and other instruments to your track.

I would work deeper over these ideas to get more complete mixes. I mean, I would try to make it sound as a real band, adding bass, drums, other instruments, work on arrange, mix and mastering.

Maybe a good motivation could be setting some goals like uploading videos to youtube with your versions, starting a bandcamp or something like that.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
post Jun 28 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 28 2014, 10:47 AM) *
Great job man! You are right, this is a very good training for your ears and in the end, you are also training your composition and arranging abilities. It's also great to know that you are slowly starting to add drums and other instruments to your track.

I would work deeper over these ideas to get more complete mixes. I mean, I would try to make it sound as a real band, adding bass, drums, other instruments, work on arrange, mix and mastering.

Maybe a good motivation could be setting some goals like uploading videos to youtube with your versions, starting a bandcamp or something like that.

What do you think?

My current one (Let It Go - Frozen) Is kind of a demo to learn the song. I have a ton of work involved right now (15+ hours). I made a cheat sheet giving me lyrics and chord changes, listed the key I'm using which is F Minor, and that I clocked the tempo in around 137 bpm. Also have a section which I'm working on now that I'm going to try and get some arpeggios and tapping added in that blend well with each other. Just trying to go outside of my normal skill this way it forces me to practice pieces. Plus it's musical so it doesn't have that typical practice feel.

After all that I will more than likely try and write the drums and scratch the original backtrack, from there I may add just a simple bass line. Then the guitar will be last. Which I will have to work on tones at that point also.

I know this is a huge step out of what I normally do. But every little bit of progress I make all I can do is sit there and smile. Because I am so proud of myself for making these kind of accomplishments. smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG920QM (Black Ice) , Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez RG470XL (Black Perl) , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
dcz702
post Jun 29 2014, 12:28 AM
Post #35

Learning Tone Seeker

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 28 2014, 08:28 AM) *
Your approach is a professional one indeed. Regardless of the position in which you find yourself - the one who's looking for a spot in a band or the band who's looking for one to fill the spot, you should be offering compelling info so that you will substantially raise your chances of success.

I for one would place vids with every style I can play, both as an improv and in the context of a known song. In that way, they will see that you are also a creative person not only a good executioner.

What songs did you have in mind, man?

the list of covers im going to post to the add are rise against- prayer of the refugee, help is on the way. Led Zepplin- black dog, immigrant song. ACDC you shook me all night long, highway to hell. Social Distortion-reach for the sky, far behind. guns and roses sweet child o mine. metallica seek and destroy
most of these im learning the rythym or know already but can use improvement to play it like how its supposed to be played, im giving myself a few weeks to get these down before posting my add.
and in my add i will ask anyone interested to give me songs they would be interested in playing and i will learn them, hopefully i can find a kick ass guitar player to play these leads or maybe just get close with his own solo to pass, but i want to state in my add that im looking to get as close as we can to the sound and play them accurately.
also i will state that im interested in writing and working togther to come up with originalls, i just thought starting with covers would keep it fun and give us something to work on, once were comfertable we can do both.

This post has been edited by dcz702: Jun 29 2014, 12:33 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Jun 29 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #36

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 28 2014, 11:28 PM) *
the list of covers im going to post to the add are rise against- prayer of the refugee, help is on the way. Led Zepplin- black dog, immigrant song. ACDC you shook me all night long, highway to hell. Social Distortion-reach for the sky, far behind. guns and roses sweet child o mine. metallica seek and destroy
most of these im learning the rythym or know already but can use improvement to play it like how its supposed to be played, im giving myself a few weeks to get these down before posting my add.
and in my add i will ask anyone interested to give me songs they would be interested in playing and i will learn them, hopefully i can find a kick ass guitar player to play these leads or maybe just get close with his own solo to pass, but i want to state in my add that im looking to get as close as we can to the sound and play them accurately.
also i will state that im interested in writing and working togther to come up with originalls, i just thought starting with covers would keep it fun and give us something to work on, once were comfertable we can do both.

Alright - another set of details which can make your announcement more valuable and interesting for the target audience. You know, learning who you want to get to and what they like/need and addressing this properly, is nothing short of success. So, I think you should bring some tight recordings on the table to do the talking as far as the music goes and add all the details you spoke about.

You can also state what qualities you think that you find important in the people you want to collaborate with and also what qualities you have that they might find important - not only musical but the ones required for teamwork.

I'd be very curious to see how your announcement looks like man smile.gif If you formulate a text, please post it here as well and we can tweak it together if you wish wink.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 28 2014, 02:47 PM) *

What do you think?

Hey Travis! I totally agree with Gabriel here. Learning and arranging these tunes is a great educational endeavor for you. I am doing a similar thing, but by transforming the tunes and turning them into acoustic versions in which I try to lay down my own touch. So making other people's music sound like me, in a basic manner of saying.

Why do I do this? Because it's a great training - singing and playing guitar in the same time and a great way of working my arranging skills. I perfectly understand how it feels when you record something, regardless how short, but when it sounds amazing and you know you nailed it.... there are no words biggrin.gif I can listen to some things for hours and then I am a bit ashamed, because it feels just like I would stare at myself in the mirror for an annoyingly long period of time and that is very far from being right laugh.gif

Keep going!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 30 2014, 02:35 PM
Post #37

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 28 2014, 12:11 PM) *
My current one (Let It Go - Frozen) Is kind of a demo to learn the song. I have a ton of work involved right now (15+ hours). I made a cheat sheet giving me lyrics and chord changes, listed the key I'm using which is F Minor, and that I clocked the tempo in around 137 bpm. Also have a section which I'm working on now that I'm going to try and get some arpeggios and tapping added in that blend well with each other. Just trying to go outside of my normal skill this way it forces me to practice pieces. Plus it's musical so it doesn't have that typical practice feel.

After all that I will more than likely try and write the drums and scratch the original backtrack, from there I may add just a simple bass line. Then the guitar will be last. Which I will have to work on tones at that point also.

I know this is a huge step out of what I normally do. But every little bit of progress I make all I can do is sit there and smile. Because I am so proud of myself for making these kind of accomplishments. smile.gif

Everything sounds great here man. This is definitely an excellent workout for many aspects of your musical skills. This also sounds like a very inspiring method that could motivate many other students here to do similar things so I was thinking that starting thread where you share with use your progress, recording and conclusions could be awesome for us and also for you, to fix and digest concepts even more.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
post Jun 30 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #38

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 30 2014, 09:35 AM) *
Everything sounds great here man. This is definitely an excellent workout for many aspects of your musical skills. This also sounds like a very inspiring method that could motivate many other students here to do similar things so I was thinking that starting thread where you share with use your progress, recording and conclusions could be awesome for us and also for you, to fix and digest concepts even more.

What do you think?

I was thinking about this at work. Because this really is a whole new world for me and many others. I think your creativity thread really pushed me into trying to branch out. For instance I'm so use to having this set playing. I just pick up a guitar and run a lesson or just picking exercises. This experience has me seeing music in a different view now. Like I hear music on the radio and think man I wish I could just improvise over this. Which would come down to even working on my own music down the road. It is very self satisfying.

I've gotten stumped over some parts when I was trying to work on a tapping pattern. First bit of it fit well and then the last little part didn't seem to click. I got it but I know others may hit that little block when beginning writing and learning theory. So I honestly agree it would be a great thing to add a thread over this kind of work. I know Cosmin's ask a question thread was a hit. I loved reading it and knowing you could ask a question if needed. Which I was planning on using here soon because on my song it breaks into kind of like an orchestra break and I'm not sure what to do with that whole area of my song.

--------------------
Guitars:
Gear:

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jul 1 2014, 02:49 PM
Post #39

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jun 30 2014, 02:42 PM) *
I was thinking about this at work. Because this really is a whole new world for me and many others. I think your creativity thread really pushed me into trying to branch out. For instance I'm so use to having this set playing. I just pick up a guitar and run a lesson or just picking exercises. This experience has me seeing music in a different view now. Like I hear music on the radio and think man I wish I could just improvise over this. Which would come down to even working on my own music down the road. It is very self satisfying.

I've gotten stumped over some parts when I was trying to work on a tapping pattern. First bit of it fit well and then the last little part didn't seem to click. I got it but I know others may hit that little block when beginning writing and learning theory. So I honestly agree it would be a great thing to add a thread over this kind of work. I know Cosmin's ask a question thread was a hit. I loved reading it and knowing you could ask a question if needed. Which I was planning on using here soon because on my song it breaks into kind of like an orchestra break and I'm not sure what to do with that whole area of my song.

Great! The thread can be also a place where everybody can help you and give you ideas on how to continue a song or what things you could improve from it, so it would have a double goal!

And about your way to making practice creative, congrats! Keeping our practice creative makes us more creative and help us to slowly find our voice which is the most important thing, it's even more important that master many techniques, so keep on that track. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
post Jul 1 2014, 03:34 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 1 2014, 09:49 AM) *
Great! The thread can be also a place where everybody can help you and give you ideas on how to continue a song or what things you could improve from it, so it would have a double goal!

And about your way to making practice creative, congrats! Keeping our practice creative makes us more creative and help us to slowly find our voice which is the most important thing, it's even more important that master many techniques, so keep on that track. wink.gif

These are some things that I wish I would have known years ago. Yes metronome work helps with being accurate and clean, but if over done you get burnt out. Have to find that nice area where its not too much or too little. I may do my stretches, then get into just running some exercises without a metronome, then say 10 minutes later I will kick it on for say 15 minutes. Then start working on a project for some ideas, then kick in a snare or something as my metronome and start to add everything in. This way you are truly practicing your techniques just never come to realize it in the least because you see it as well I'm writing music. This has made me feel as if I've become a better player, but a musician as well.

--------------------
Guitars:
Gear:

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 02:06 PM