Bend Practicing
Renan
Jul 1 2014, 05:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
I sometimes struggle to bend the note in the correct pitch , what do you guys suggest me to practice to improve bending skills ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 1 2014, 07:15 PM
Instructor
Hi Renan, try this approach.... it does work.

When you feel ready to test your new bending skills, have a go on this lesson. It doesn't focus on anything other than bending so there's no distractions:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/String-Bending/

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 1 2014, 08:16 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! Ben's video pretty much sums it up smile.gif I for one never studied bending as a technique, but I grew it as a skill in time, without even knowing what I was doing. Truth is, I realized after a long time, that the articulation skills I was developing, were a result of my intense ear training drills - I had no clue I was doing those as well biggrin.gif But I was imitating a lot of things using my voice and my guitar - parts from songs, vocal lines, cartoon characters and so on. These things improved my hearing a lot and added a fine tuning to getting how things are with reaching pitches in general.

So, to cut the story a bit shorter - try and imitate everything you like smile.gif Regardless of what it's being played with - piano, guitar, bass, vocals, saxophone, flute, violin.. it doesn't matter smile.gif The more you do it the better you will become.

If you wanna test your ears, try and bend a note while using a tuner - if the bent note is reaching the correct pitch, that will be shown on the tuner smile.gif Be aware of:

- how much you bend
- using the wrist
- remembering how that bend should feel

Let me know how this feels to you, ok mate?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 1 2014, 08:37 PM
Instructor
Hi Renan, I think that you've already received great feedback about this thread. Ben's approach is exactly what I think it's the most effective way to practice bending. If you incorporate that exercise to your diary routine, your bends will becomes better and more precise each day.

Once you feel more comfortable reaching the correct pitches, I think that practicing some blues lessons are also a very cool way to practice bending but in real music situations.

For example, check this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Stevie...pired_Phrasing/

As you can see, it's full of aggressive bends: half note bending, whole note bending, double strings, bending + vibrato. It's a killer workout, and you can practice the licks over the backing track to be sure that you are on tune.

Let us know if this tips help you! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:47 AM