6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Blues Rock Collab, Instructors/Students Video Collaboration
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 21 2014, 08:16 AM
Instructor
Do you like blues? Do you like rock?
Let's do both!

Blues Rock Collab.
What's this all about? Well, as you may have guessed, combining blues and rock elements over three different types of backing tracks - the verse, over which you can easily deploy the minor pentatonic scale or even the Dorian mode and the chorus where the more daring GMC'ers can use the chorus backing track where aside from the E natural minor scale, in the very end they can throw in some notes borrowed from the Phrygian mode, which requires a little bit more experience in respect to choosing the notes which you'll want to use.

Working and participating in collabs will give you the type of input you cannot achieve when practicing on your own - so even if you feel shy about this, you should give it a serious try. You will improve in unpredictable ways for certain!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKING TRACKS:

Verse: Attached File  Verse_Backing_Track.mp3 ( 1.91MB ) Number of downloads: 375

Chorus: Attached File  Chorus_Backing_Track.mp3 ( 658.62K ) Number of downloads: 399

Verse+Chorus: Attached File  Full_Backing_Track.mp3 ( 3.46MB ) Number of downloads: 401

Tempo: 140 BPM

Key: E minor

This collab is based on the upcoming lesson by instructor Guido Bungenstock.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's everything you need to know about how to enter this collaboration:

1. Download the backing track and open it in your recording software
2. Record your part in the recording software and with your video cam (if you have the possibility to record video).
You can record anything - a short fill part, rhythm based ideas, or a full lead part (solo).
3. Render one track containing your guitar recording only - 16 bit wave file 44,1 kHz
4. Render one track containing both solo and backing track in an .mp3 format
5. Send us your video (preferably in .mp4 format)

As always, you can send us the last 3 files mentioned, using a dropbox link, or any other file transfer service you are used to, by posting them in this thread or attaching them to a private message.

If you can't submit a video, you can send us only the audio files and some pictures of you - it will work out great as well!
The more pictures you send, the better will it be for editing in the final video!

When attaching/sending the collab files, please include the source file of the video as well.

Very important: IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER/ ADVANCED/ PRO/ GOD - all styles, approaches and all levels are welcome and you can even play just a short fill if you feel like it!

Bringing your contribution to this track and tribute to the GMC community is what really matters!

Collab tips:

As in the previous collabs, we want this one to stand out as much as possible, because this will give your playing and progress maximum exposure. So here's what we suggest:

Making short but polished and detailed lines will always give you better results! If you focus on a short part of the backing track, then you will most likely amaze yourself and others! No explicit need to play over the full backing track length, so just pick up any amount of bars you feel most comfortable playing over, as it's always better to come up with something short but catchy or memorable!

Check out these lessons for inspiration:

Pop-Rock Solo Beginner - the licks in this lesson, boosted to a higher tempo and tweaked with, could fit the bill over the chorus section!

Dorian Phrasing for Beginners - a little inspiration for what you can do if you decide to use the Dorian, in order to spice up the minor pentatonic scale, over the verse part.

Rocking The Blues Lesson

Ben's Blues Lesson

Rock & Blues Lesson

Scales you could use:

Minor pentatonic

Natural minor

Dorian mode

Phrygian mode

Chord progression :

INTRO

Em |% | % |A5 G5 |
Em |% | % |Bm7 C#m7 A/D |

VERSE

Em |% | % |Em7 Em6 |
Em |% | % |Em7 Em6 |

CHORUS

Cadd9 |Am7 | D |Bm |
C |G/B | Fsus2 |%|

OUTRO

Em |% | % |A5 G5 |

Remember - the only thing we require is that you participate and be yourself - there are no rules, and no limits!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deadline: 22nd of August

Participants: Cosmin Lupu, Gabriel Leopardi, bleez, Sensible Jones, Todd Simpson, mroberts70, huargo, Degroot, Rhida, Caelumamittendum, gregc1, Opetholic
----------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE : final video and instructor comments - click here

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 8 2014, 10:59 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Jul 21 2014, 09:06 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Nice collab, I like blues and rock, but I'm on holiday in august, so I gotta let this one slip by.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 21 2014, 09:16 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
you had me at 'minor pentatonic' biggrin.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 21 2014, 02:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jul 21 2014, 05:06 AM) *
Nice collab, I like blues and rock, but I'm on holiday in august, so I gotta let this one slip by.

Oh! We will miss you on this one! sad.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 21 2014, 05:16 AM) *

hehehe excellent! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 23 2014, 10:48 AM
GMC:er
I suppose I could do something for this.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2014, 02:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 23 2014, 06:48 AM) *
I suppose I could do something for this.
wink.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Great to know! Welcome mate. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2014, 05:12 PM
Instructor
Welcome, welcome gentlemen!

I was sure that you will love the combo, so let's make this one count! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2014, 05:16 PM
Me too! smile.gif I'd be happy to contribute a bar or two!

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 21 2014, 04:16 AM) *

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2014, 05:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 23 2014, 04:16 PM) *
Me too! smile.gif I'd be happy to contribute a bar or two!

Welcome Sir Simpson!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 25 2014, 11:52 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Anyone else planning to enter this collab? smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 25 2014, 01:25 PM
Instructor
Blues means the saying a lot with little notes, so, no worries about too many technical licks - just put your soul out there and we'll be glad to offer the necessary support along the way wink.gif

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jul 28 2014, 06:21 AM
Gonna give it a try....

...and of course I can't embed the video as usual or if I can... I can't see it, so here's the direct link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsm2yEa9Liw...x2N2NEElHwhpDSA

P.S. I'll post the other files later.

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2014, 05:50 PM
Instructor
Hey man! Welcome onboard!

I like the fact that you have played based around a theme and you have nice direction, phrasing and clean playing!

The only thing that I feel like I'd like to hear more would be the vibrato - but that's a personal matter wink.gif Keep rocking!!

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 28 2014, 07:02 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jul 28 2014, 06:21 AM) *
Gonna give it a try....

...and of course I can't embed the video as usual or if I can... I can't see it, so here's the direct link.

ooooh trippy vid biggrin.gif
some cool phrasing indeed, duder. Nice one.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2014, 07:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jul 28 2014, 02:21 AM) *
Gonna give it a try....

The great Roberts is back!!! biggrin.gif

Thanks for your take man! Your phrasing is very tasty and groovy, it's a very strong solo. There are some interpretation details that could take this one to another level that are mostly based on expression techniques. I think that your vibrato could be stronger, that your bends are sometimes a bit out of pitch and that you could give this one more dynamics and groove with your right hand. I think that maybe this take has been mostly an improvisation so that's the reason why you could put your focus on these details but have it in mind for the next time or maybe for a new take of this same solo.

I'm curious, what's about you nowadays? Are your working on some guitar routines? It's been a while since we last talked!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jul 31 2014, 01:19 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 28 2014, 01:59 PM) *
The great Roberts is back!!! biggrin.gif

Thanks for your take man! Your phrasing is very tasty and groovy, it's a very strong solo. There are some interpretation details that could take this one to another level that are mostly based on expression techniques. I think that your vibrato could be stronger, that your bends are sometimes a bit out of pitch and that you could give this one more dynamics and groove with your right hand. I think that maybe this take has been mostly an improvisation so that's the reason why you could put your focus on these details but have it in mind for the next time or maybe for a new take of this same solo.

I'm curious, what's about you nowadays? Are your working on some guitar routines? It's been a while since we last talked!

I'm not having much time to practice these days, no new routines here.... as evidenced by my same flawed playing with the out of pitch bends and weak vibrato.... but I had to try out the blues rock collab, one of my favorites. Most time lately is spent looking for work and taking care of 3 busy kids. I guess my rock star dream will have to be put on hold in the meantime... wink.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 31 2014, 02:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jul 30 2014, 09:19 PM) *
I'm not having much time to practice these days, no new routines here.... as evidenced by my same flawed playing with the out of pitch bends and weak vibrato.... but I had to try out the blues rock collab, one of my favorites. Most time lately is spent looking for work and taking care of 3 busy kids. I guess my rock star dream will have to be put on hold in the meantime... wink.gif

mmm I hope to see you jamming as in the old days soon! I have been missing you at the chat room sharing amazing backing tracks and Satch style phrases. Let me say that maintaining your bending and vibrato technique could be possible with just 15 minutes of practice every day.
Do you remember that old video with Joe Satriani tips that included some bending, vibrato and left hand exercises? If not, let me know! I will send it to you inbox in a moment... wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jul 31 2014, 04:21 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 30 2014, 08:43 PM) *
mmm I hope to see you jamming as in the old days soon! I have been missing you at the chat room sharing amazing backing tracks and Satch style phrases. Let me say that maintaining your bending and vibrato technique could be possible with just 15 minutes of practice every day.
Do you remember that old video with Joe Satriani tips that included some bending, vibrato and left hand exercises? If not, let me know! I will send it to you inbox in a moment... wink.gif

Thanks Gab, yes I still have the link to that Satch video.

Maybe one of these days I'll get back to jamming in the chat room... unsure.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 31 2014, 10:14 AM
Here is the soundcloud file of my take smile.gif Video to follow! I'm using extremely low gain, well, low gain for me smile.gif And i"m using the Homewrecker Punisher pickup that I recently installed in my razorback with those spiff pickup covers that vonhotch made.
https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/homewrecker-pickups-punisher-neck-position-overloud-th2

Here is the link to download the SOLO ONLY clip.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7o2c08nml36b81/T...BluesCollab.wav

Attached Image

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 23 2014, 12:53 PM) *
Welcome Sir Simpson!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 31 2014, 11:06 AM

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Jul 31 2014, 02:49 PM
Instructor
Hi guys,
I'm really proud that for the 2nd time my guitar lesson turned into a video collab,
So have fun and let the guitars speak for themself,

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:22 AM