My Entry For Toontrack's Songwriting Competition
Socky42
Jul 25 2014, 12:02 AM
GMC:er

Heard about this contest a couple of weeks ago and thought i'd enter. Devin Townsend's one of the judges so maybe I'll have a chance of winning with a weird metal song; worth a try. laugh.gif

https://apps.facebook.com/meltwaterpromo/99...2/entry/1147002 - Link to vote, thanks to anyone that does!

If anyone's interested in the tab for the guitar solo (starts at 0:44) lemme know.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 25 2014, 01:11 AM
NICELY DONE!!! I think you should win dude, that's a killer take.

QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 24 2014, 07:02 PM) *

Heard about this contest a couple of weeks ago and thought i'd enter. Devin Townsend's one of the judges so maybe I'll have a chance of winning with a weird metal song; worth a try. laugh.gif

https://apps.facebook.com/meltwaterpromo/99...2/entry/1147002 - Link to vote, thanks to anyone that does!

If anyone's interested in the tab for the guitar solo (starts at 0:44) lemme know.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Jul 25 2014, 02:30 AM
Great song man, voted and commented. Good luck

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 25 2014, 06:34 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
excellent playing dude and great take, voted. best of luck smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 25 2014, 02:16 PM
Instructor
Devin will surely love this!! Congrats on the playing and the sound design! biggrin.gif

I voted and asked my friends to vote as well!

+Quote Post
Nava
Jul 25 2014, 07:03 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Extreme my man biggrin.gif

That was really good playing and the backing..just as good biggrin.gif

Killer take!

--------------------
If it sounds good, it IS good! And if you think its good then there is gonna be someone else in the world that thinks its good:)Wise words from former instructor Marcus Lavendell.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jul 26 2014, 05:54 AM
Learning Tone Master

Awesome playing and great tone!! Voted and good luck in contest wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 26 2014, 05:39 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! I just voted your killer composition! I find your music very unique and that's very valuable. This is not the first composition that I've heard from you so I can find a connection between our your stuff that makes me know that you are finding your own voice with guitar and music and that's what makes your music so special. Congratulations!

I was wondering which are your main influences and how was your approach to composing and finding your personal style?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 28 2014, 02:05 PM
Thanks for voting guys! Hopefully I can stay in the top 15 for the next 4 weeks. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 26 2014, 05:39 PM) *
I was wondering which are your main influences and how was your approach to composing and finding your personal style?

Probably not the answer you're looking for; but I just improv till I find something (a riff or melody) that sounds good, put it into guitar pro then start adding rests and passing notes to make it interesting. Then flesh it out, add variations etc.

Maybe one day i'll be able to write without using guitar pro. Feels like i'm 'cheating' at times, but it works.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2014, 05:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 28 2014, 01:05 PM) *
Maybe one day i'll be able to write without using guitar pro. Feels like i'm 'cheating' at times, but it works.

Hey bro - as long as you are making music and you can play it and make it sound THAT good, it's not cheating at all wink.gif The only thing that would be called cheating?

Pretending you wrote something you didn't and posting something that you pretend you played that you actually didn't wink.gif That's what I see as cheating - why do you think that using GP to write, is cheating?

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 28 2014, 06:27 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 28 2014, 05:47 PM) *
Why do you think that using GP to write, is cheating?

Like the cover song I was working on a couple of weeks ago; I 'wrote' the solo by adding random rests/notes with the scale tool and ended up with something that sounded cool. Using intervals and passing notes etc. that i'd never even think of using when I improvise.

But I guess you could argue that's all songwriting is; trial and error. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2014, 08:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 28 2014, 10:05 AM) *
Probably not the answer you're looking for; but I just improv till I find something (a riff or melody) that sounds good, put it into guitar pro then start adding rests and passing notes to make it interesting. Then flesh it out, add variations etc.

It's exactly the type of answer I was looking for! smile.gif

The results of your approach are fantastic so it's very valuable for everybody here to know what's the method that you used to achieve these stuff. Every time we improvise, we let our mind to becomes creative, less conscious and most genuine. All your feelings and memories saved in your unconscious start to connect in order to give place to new creative ideas and that's how you shape your own style. Congrats mate.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 29 2014, 06:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 28 2014, 05:27 PM) *
Like the cover song I was working on a couple of weeks ago; I 'wrote' the solo by adding random rests/notes with the scale tool and ended up with something that sounded cool. Using intervals and passing notes etc. that i'd never even think of using when I improvise.

But I guess you could argue that's all songwriting is; trial and error. laugh.gif

Exactly - trial and error, is one of the best names I'd give to this smile.gif Well, as long as it proves itself fruitful, go ahead and use it! People would never come up with amazing things if they would stick to the road everyone walks on wink.gif

Experimentation is by far, one of the most important things I'd recommend people to work on! Folks, if you are scared to try things, you are only keeping yourselves from the great musical discoveries you could stumble upon.

Have faith wink.gif

And you, mate, please go ahead and share some more of your music with us!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:56 PM