> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phill66's Beginner Book
Phil66
post Oct 14 2014, 08:00 PM
Post #121

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Thanks Cosmin,

Yes, I like them both, thank you. The chord one will present a challenge but it does pull me in a lot more than the last one. I know, as a musician we should be able to put our hands to anything but, sometimes it's difficult when you are learning if it's a piece that doesn't sit well with you.

I'll get on them right away. For some reason, the lead lessons always have a greater pull than the chord ones rolleyes.gif

Thanks Cosmin.

Phil

Hello Cosmin,

Back to the drawing board then. I don't really get what Ben is saying because the first two notes of each part aren't the same length unsure.gif I must be misunderstanding him. blink.gif

You said to record myself over Bear, how can I download his part so I can hear where I am out? It's hard to concentrate on everything when playing.

Thanks Cosmin wink.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 15 2014, 07:43 AM
Post #122

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Hey Phil! Glad you like the new lessons smile.gif I know you are attracted towards the lead lessons more - that's what guitar playing seems to be all about at this point tongue.gif Doesn't it? biggrin.gif

About using Bear's recording - try the following approach - record a video with your camera, while the original is being played in the background and then listen to the note length differences. You don't need to download the original recording, as this is only for your personal learning purposes - it doesn't need to have a great quality or so smile.gif

So, start your camera making sure the recording volumes are set in such a way that you can distinguish both bear's guitar and yours (run a few tests), then record a vid and post it here so that we may discuss it, ok? And by the way, congrats on a nice modification of the lesson biggrin.gif As Ben spotted, it came out nicely biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 15 2014, 08:09 AM
Post #123

Thanks Cosmin,

I was a bit deflated last night after being buzzing all day about laying that one to rest, so to speak, so didn't do much other than adjust the truss rod and intonation on my newest Epiphone ES 339 P90.

I'll get back on it tonight.

I think it would be superb to be able to download the lesson's guitar track so you can put it into your DAW, you could pan it hard left and your own take hard right and really listen to the two and easily hear the difference. Is it worth suggesting this to the admin? It may not be possible with everything on there but maybe it could be a new feature?

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 15 2014, 02:05 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 15 2014, 09:46 PM
Post #124

Hello Cosmin,

I can play along with Bear, I don't even need to look at the left or right hand on my guitar, my picking timing is the same as Bear's BUT, when I do it on my own I get this, the same as before, I can't seem to listen to the beat and play at the same time, maybe this is all too advanced for me at the moment, maybe I should go back to "Row Row Row Your Your Boat" rolleyes.gif

Anyway this is tonight's, same as before but just to show you I have had a go.

I'll try again tomorrow, I'll be on this until 2015 at this rate huh.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 16 2014, 08:44 AM
Post #125

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil!

Why not? Any suggestion is worth discussing, so by all means, why not posting this in the Practice room? smile.gif Did I understand correctly - you have a new guitar? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 15 2014, 07:09 AM) *
Thanks Cosmin,

I was a bit deflated last night after being buzzing all day about laying that one to rest, so to speak, so didn't do much other than adjust the truss rod and intonation on my newest Epiphone ES 339 P90.

I'll get back on it tonight.

I think it would be superb to be able to download the lesson's guitar track so you can put it into your DAW, you could pan it hard left and your own take hard right and really listen to the two and easily hear the difference. Is it worth suggesting this to the admin? It may not be possible with everything on there but maybe it could be a new feature?

Cheers

Phil

Hey again Phil!

This recording shows that you can mimic, but if you do not understand, you will not be able to reproduce on your own wink.gif It's not as bad as you think because it's easily fixable, as those dotted 8th notes are the only ones keeping you from nailing this to perfection. Try Ben's method of counting while tapping the foot and listening to the original - if you tap 1, 2, 3, 4, you will notice that the first two notes fall in between the 1 and 2 and 3

-> 1 ta 2 ta 3 ... please try this count WITHOUT playing the guitar, in order to understand where the notes fall into place, ok? Let me know if you have trouble with this one and we'll take it from there wink.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 15 2014, 08:46 PM) *
Hello Cosmin,

I can play along with Bear, I don't even need to look at the left or right hand on my guitar, my picking timing is the same as Bear's BUT, when I do it on my own I get this, the same as before, I can't seem to listen to the beat and play at the same time, maybe this is all too advanced for me at the moment, maybe I should go back to "Row Row Row Your Your Boat" rolleyes.gif

Anyway this is tonight's, same as before but just to show you I have had a go.

I'll try again tomorrow, I'll be on this until 2015 at this rate huh.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 16 2014, 11:33 AM
Post #126

Thanks Cosmin,
Yes I do have a new guitar smile.gif It's the one in the video. I'm a classic case of "All the gear, no idea" sad.gif
Out of interest, in milliseconds how long is a 16th nothe at 120bpm?
I'm getting a little worried that if dotted notes are giving me problems at level 2 lessons how am I ever going to get to level 4 or 5? I wasn't really expecting such things at this early stage blink.gif tongue.gif
You comment "This recording shows you can mimic......." confused me a little bit, that recording is just me by myself not listening to Bear's recording. unsure.gif
Cheers
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 16 2014, 01:13 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 16 2014, 09:33 PM
Post #127

Hello Cosmin,

Well I am totally confused. I have sat here for nearly an hour tapping my fingers to the beat, I still can't hear that the first note goes past beat 2, I ended up putting it through GP6 and I can still hear the metronome beat slightly after the second note starts. Is my brain completely made of potato????? biggrin.gif

I am just not getting this at all. I just can't hear that the first note goes past beat two no matter how long I listen mad.gif

I must have a musical dyslexia sad.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 17 2014, 08:34 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 17 2014, 08:35 AM
Post #128

Instructor
Group Icon

Cheers! What I meant was that once you got comfortable with the ensemble, you didn't pay attention to the details and you slipped those notes wink.gif That's why I want you to play along with Bear and record the take over the original.

About dotted 8ths, they aren't the easiest thing to nail, so don't worry - it's a matter of feeling, so it'll come in time. You worry too much about not getting things at a first glance, so as I said before wink.gif Relax, enjoy the ride and they will come to you when you least expect - deal?

Ugh - sorry, my bad - I wrote that wrong and I mislead you - the first note falls on 1 and then the second one is the 'ta' between 1 and 2 - your feeling is right! I was writing and somehow I was thinking that it was understood that the first note falls on 1 - my brain buzzes me a lot lately - all work and too little rest, but as I said, you felt things right and I am curious if you can send me recording at normal speed featuring only the first two bars in the piece, so that we may both agree on the fact that you clearly understood things - deal?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 16 2014, 10:33 AM) *
Thanks Cosmin,
Yes I do have a new guitar smile.gif It's the one in the video. I'm a classic case of "All the gear, no idea" sad.gif
Out of interest, in milliseconds how long is a 16th nothe at 120bpm?
I'm getting a little worried that if dotted notes are giving me problems at level 2 lessons how am I ever going to get to level 4 or 5? I wasn't really expecting such things at this early stage blink.gif tongue.gif
You comment "This recording shows you can mimic......." confused me a little bit, that recording is just me by myself not listening to Bear's recording. unsure.gif
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 17 2014, 09:20 AM
Post #129

Thanks Cosmin,

I'm not fully sure, I'll try to get a recording over Bear just two bars.

I need to de-confuse myself regarding what you are saying, how I am interpreting it and what I am hearing because it's three different things at the moment. huh.gif

Cheers

Phil smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 17 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #130

Hello Cosmin,

Ok here we go.

[attachment=39359:Bear_A_M...r_2_bars.wav]

I can't read music but one thing I noticed in the GP5 music notation is that the first two notes of each phrase have the same symbol with a dot after them, logic tells me that they should be of the same length but, to my ears Bear doesn't play them like that. In my humble opinion tongue.gif this should be addressed because some people, like myself will like to use GP when having timing issue or some other reason because it is pure guitar and metronome and you can vary the speed. If the notation doesn't match the piece it can be an added distraction wacko.gif because GP plays it as it is notated.

I'll get a track of me playing along with Bear sometime this evening wink.gif

Cheers smile.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 18 2014, 09:49 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 18 2014, 02:26 PM
Post #131

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 17 2014, 08:20 AM) *
Thanks Cosmin,

I'm not fully sure, I'll try to get a recording over Bear just two bars.

I need to de-confuse myself regarding what you are saying, how I am interpreting it and what I am hearing because it's three different things at the moment. huh.gif

Cheers

Phil smile.gif

Cheers Phil!

I got the recording and I'll listen to it, but in the mean time, I want to talk to you about something important - listening. When you want to get something REALLY imbued into your system, you need to listen to it a lot. And when I say listening, I mean not doing anything but listening - there are a lot of things you can learn by simply listening smile.gif It is of course something which you will discover in time while practicing it, because listening is like any other activity, the more you do it, while focusing on it, of course, it will reveal some things which weren't there before. So, if I were in your stead, I would listen to the lesson actively for a few times each day, just to make sure it got in my mind and as you said wheen you told me that you don't need to look at the hands, which by the way, is a very, very good thing - practically playing it will not involve that feeling that smells like 'what's next in the following measure??' smile.gif

You might've noticed that I have a pretty philosophic way of talking about things and I hope you dig it and it helps smile.gif

I'll see what can be done with the GP file wink.gif About the recording you sent - the third note should be a wee longer, but I am sure you will feel it when playing alongside Bear's recording.

In the mean time, I am looking forward to hearing your new take - you're THIS close to nailing this piece, so, let's get it done, deal? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 17 2014, 08:22 PM) *
Hello Cosmin,

Ok here we go.

[attachment=39359:Bear_A_M...r_2_bars.wav]

I can't read music but one thing I noticed in the GP5 music notation is that the first two notes of each phrase have the same symbol with a dot after them, logic tells me that they should be of the same length but, to my ears Bear doesn't play them like that. In my humble opinion tongue.gif this should be addressed because some people, like myself will like to use GP when having timing issue or some other reason because it is pure guitar and metronome and you can vary the speed. If the notation doesn't match the piece it can be an added distraction wacko.gif because GP plays it as it is notated.

I'll get a track of me playing along with Bear sometime this evening wink.gif

Cheers smile.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 18 2014, 02:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 18 2014, 06:45 PM
Post #132

Thanks Cosmin,
I wasn't going to say anything as it seems like I'm always making up excuses for not practising but I've had a bad case of bursitis in my neck, it was very debilitating causing a lot of pain through my neck, head, both shoulders and nagging pain through both arms including tingling in fingers. It got so bad at one point I nearly passed out. I do get it occasionally from an old weight training incident which took 12 months of physiotherapy, three steroid injections and a manipulation under anaesthetic to get me to do normal activities without pain. No weight training ever again sad.gif Anyway its been hard to play guitar as you can imagine but I did try during times when the agony subsided a little.
It's 90% fixed now so I'll give it a go tonight.
Thanks for your patience Cosmin, I know it seems like I am always making excuses but since joining GMC I've more bad luck than I have in ages sad.gif with many of life's problems appearing one after the other. Let's hope this neck thing is the last of it all.
Cheers
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 18 2014, 08:54 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 18 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #133

Hello Cosmin,

Ok here is my recording along with Bear. Bear is panned hard left and I am panned hard right. I know I come in slightly ahead of Bear in a couple of places but i couldn't do any more as my neck has flared up again. Need to go to a physio on Monday £££££

[attachment=39378:Bear_A_M...18102014.wav]

Sorry I can't give you more Cosmin, I feel bad not putting in enough.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 19 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #134

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey there Phil!

Don't worry man, I told you - life usually laughs at our plans, but we can laugh back by being persistent in the things we love doing and regardless of what life throws, continue. We sometimes can put more in and sometimes less, but the basic idea is .... DON'T STOP! biggrin.gif

I hope you will be well soon and in the mean time, I have listened to the recording and here are my thoughts:

- you have played very nicely and you have had good timing and 99% exact phrasing
- the only thing which I think that you can do to improve this, would be to pay attention to the way in which the phrases end - see 0:19 - 0:20 for instance - you let the note ring, while Bear stops it wink.gif

For a man with a neck issue, you did pretty darn well, Sir!

Keep it up and lemme know how it went at the doc!

Cosmin

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 18 2014, 05:45 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin,
I wasn't going to say anything as it seems like I'm always making up excuses for not practising but I've had a bad case of bursitis in my neck, it was very debilitating causing a lot of pain through my neck, head, both shoulders and nagging pain through both arms including tingling in fingers. It got so bad at one point I nearly passed out. I do get it occasionally from an old weight training incident which took 12 months of physiotherapy, three steroid injections and a manipulation under anaesthetic to get me to do normal activities without pain. No weight training ever again sad.gif Anyway its been hard to play guitar as you can imagine but I did try during times when the agony subsided a little.
It's 90% fixed now so I'll give it a go tonight.
Thanks for your patience Cosmin, I know it seems like I am always making excuses but since joining GMC I've more bad luck than I have in ages sad.gif with many of life's problems appearing one after the other. Let's hope this neck thing is the last of it all.
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 19 2014, 10:17 AM
Post #135

Thanks Cosmin.
Would you believe it? Woke up this morning totally pain free. Need to be careful for a few days because it can return so easily, its probably just off touching the nerve so one slightly bad move could fire it up again.
Speak soon.
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 19 2014, 07:07 PM
Post #136

Hello Cosmin,

Neck has flared up again, only on the left side now, affecting left shoulder and arm. Too uncomfortable to "play" my guitar mad.gif .
I've tried doing some ear training with my tuner. My tuner (Korg TM50) can sound out the note for you to hear so i don't have to pick the string on the guitar and I can do it lying down. BIG BIG problem. Why do I find it much easier to match a guitar note than I do an electronic tone?

Cheers Cosmin.

Phil

Out of interest, would that last take of the A minor lesson have gotten a pass in REC?

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 20 2014, 11:16 AM
Post #137

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil - give it a rest, man sad.gif It seems like it's something that won't leave you alone that easily - tell me, do you exercise usually? I mean, sports or something related?

About the tones - it's simply something that your ear needs to become used to smile.gif Keep in mind that you have started doing this very recently and you aren't able to discern a pitch regardless of the thing that produces it. In time you will be able to recognize intervals even if they are sung by a bird or a train station signal smile.gif Just give it time and work on it wink.gif

About the recording - most likely that we would've observed the ends of the phrases which weren't executed as Bear did them and most likely we would've downgraded that, so I think that there would've been even chances for both events biggrin.gif If that may be said like that wink.gif But now that you know what you have to do, just wait for the neck to leave you in peace and then get to work biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 20 2014, 07:24 PM
Post #138

Hello Cosmin,
I don't get much time to exercise in the true sense. I start work at 06:30 and finish at 17:00 with one 15min break and one 30 min break. I am moderately active during this time being on my feet operating machinery and walking from workshop to workshop which I am still struggling along with as it isn't heavy industry. I do a fair bit of walking at the weekends (weather permitting). I used to be seriously into weight training but had an accident that put a stop to it all. I was doing what is called a "drop set" where you work to positive (pushing) and then negative (lowering) failure then two helpers remove a weight from each end of the bar and you go again, right away, then keep doing this until you can't even lower the bar without weight on it, effectively exhausting the muscle group to total (both positive and negative) failure. When you can't push the weight you can still lower it as you are stronger in this portion than the positive aspect (pushing).
Anyway, I was bench pressing 170kg, I'd done around 6 repetitions and I signaled for my two "helpers" to remove a weight from each end, one did, one didn't, (he was looking out of the window), the consequence was I lost balance, all of the weight slipped off one end (you can't use collars when doing this as it gives the muscles time to recover too much) and then suddenly all of the weight on the other end took over and that side went down too. This caused damage in my neck and should which comes back to haunt me once in a while, such as now.
I used to love weight training, (I'm an explosive type of person) I used to love sprinting but not anything over 200metres, I had the school record in the discuss and this was not beaten until over ten years after I left (I bumped into my old games teacher), I had the longest schoolboy throw in the UK in the javelin but I just couldn't get the technique to make the javelin quite land front end first so it didn't count, but the power was there. I enjoyed weight training so much I trained on Christmas day if it fell on a training day, the local gym was used by pro bodybuilders so the owner opened for them. I haven't found another form of exercise I enjoy as much, I do enjoy walking in the countryside and coastal areas but it's not the walking (I hate treadmills) it's the scenery and wildlife. I enjoy badminton with my wife in the summer months, albeit in the garden for 30-45 minutes but this causes a reduction in guitar practice time.
My neck pain is currently peaking at 11 (on the Spinal Tap volume scale) early evening (practice time) and it's just too painful to sit or stand with a guitar in my lap or around my neck on a strap, it stays at 11 until I wake up the following morning and it is around 4.
Sorry about this essay but I hope it will give you an insight into my personality.
Cheers
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 20 2014, 07:42 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 20 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #139

Hello Cosmin,
Again not perfect but I'm a beginner don't forget tongue.gif there has to be a tiny bit of compassion for a little old beginner, you surely can't judge me as tough as someone on level 6 lessons laugh.gif
One thing that is bugging me is the tone, it's lifeless. Also when Bear cuts a note it isn't "on/off" like mine, it's almost as though he has extremely quickly turned the volume down for that note, how can I put it? it sort of does an extremely quick fade out whereas as mine is more like a kill switch. Hope this makes sense and I hope it is something that develops rather than something that can be taught because how would that be taught on here unsure.gif
Anyway, here is tonight's, I managed to have a period where the pain reduced down to about 4 cool.gif as I'm doing this though, it's creeping back up again. sad.gif

[attachment=39435:Bear_14_...20102014.wav]

I didn't go to the physio because after thinking about it, he said the last twice that it is not easy to manipulate it as it is, without making me scream in agony so he gave me some progressive exercises to do which I have been doing anyway, I'm not going to pay ££££ to get told the same and be asked to go back so it's on with the anti inflammatory pills and the exercises every half hour rolleyes.gif

Cheers buddy.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 20 2014, 09:43 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 21 2014, 07:54 PM
Post #140

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil!

I listened to the track and I must say that the one before sounded much better in respect to note lengths. Please focus on the feeling you had in the previous one, but just play the staccato notes as indicated in the GP file - remember that in the previous take I was speaking about stopping those notes wink.gif Well, that was what I was referring to - so please try to mimic your previous take and just take care of the notes that need the staccato.

Now, about stopping the notes smoothly - it's of course something that is related to feeling - the more you do it and the more experienced you are, the better it will sound. The impulse has to be gentle but decided. Not rough, because otherwise the killswitch comes in, as you very well noticed.

Try to exercise on one simple phrase and mild up your staccato technique until it reaches a desired level of control - deal? It's all in the finesse and pressure control!

About heavy lifting... man.. I know you had quite some luck to get away with just that... I too love weight lifting and I kept doing it since the 10th grade biggrin.gif I just recently stopped, in order to fully dedicate my time to bodyweight training - it develops my flexibility, reflexes and strength - more, much more fitting to sustain my martial arts training sessions wink.gif

Please take it easy with the neck, until you feel comfortable enough to practice without hurting yourself - ok? Also, please focus on the aspects I mentioned above, in respect to the staccato technique and the note lengths.

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 12:35 PM