> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phill66's Beginner Book
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 7 2014, 09:50 AM
Post #181

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 6 2014, 08:20 PM) *
One question Mr Miyagi sir,

Why don't I hear my mistakes until I am playing the track back? I do hear bad notes but not timing errors.

Cheers buddy

Phil

Phil, it's something normal smile.gif There are certain things that can't be easily heard in real time. It takes a lot of practice and experience to be able to listen to yourself while playing. That involves playing and stepping outside of yourself. It's a state in which you stop paying attention at how you play and you actually just listen to yourself. It's something like stepping outside of your body and you become a spectator. It's a lengthy process and you need to stop thinking about what you are doing, in order to become able to listen to yourself with full focus. It will come in time though, as usual, with work and practice and learning how to project your focus power. A lot of metaphorical mumbo jumbo, as it might seem, but it's really not smile.gif Let me know what your thoughts are, mate!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 7 2014, 11:48 AM
Post #182

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello Cosmin,

I fully understand what you are saying, I think that may be where my problem lies. I have always struggled to focus on more than one thing. For instance, if I am typing an email and my wife comes in and says "would you like a cup of tea?", that is what gets typed into the email biggrin.gif
I guess it needs to be like walking and driving, second nature.

I need to find some mind training exercises.

Thanks

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 7 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #183

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 7 2014, 09:50 AM) *
That involves playing and stepping outside of yourself.

Need to practice Astral Projection then? tongue.gif

Ok Cosmin,

This is another one that is harder than it first appears rolleyes.gif Playing the offbeat using a down strum is out of the ball park for me. I know the rhythm guitarist in UB40 does this but it feels odd to me. Anyway I've recorded up to the first fiddly bit. I can play along with Ben ok, (timing wise) up to this point, the chords aren't all clear and there are some extra noises in there but we might as well start pulling it apart now rather than wait until I have "learnt" it all.

[attachment=39689:Ben_Stac...07112014.wav]

I'm going on an overnighter tomorrow so won't be able to practice tomorrow but I'll be back on Sunday sometime. Hopefully early enough to get something done. I'll be able to view the site and any replies though.

I'm going to start my practices for a while with breaking down the A Minor Bear lesson. I'll spend 20 minutes on that, 10 minutes ear training, and then an hour on Ben's lesson and the next day an hour on Bear's beginner solo. Does this sound ok? (Need to set an alarm because I know I'll over run trying just one more time rolleyes.gif

Cheers Cosmin cool.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 8 2014, 05:47 PM
Post #184

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 7 2014, 10:48 AM) *
Hello Cosmin,

I fully understand what you are saying, I think that may be where my problem lies. I have always struggled to focus on more than one thing. For instance, if I am typing an email and my wife comes in and says "would you like a cup of tea?", that is what gets typed into the email biggrin.gif
I guess it needs to be like walking and driving, second nature.

I need to find some mind training exercises.

Thanks

Phil

Hey Phil! I got the thing for you wink.gif There's this meditation exercise that I am doing each morning - it's used for emptying the mind and enhacning focus power:

- close your eyes and stand straight but relaxed
- inhale by breathing the air through your nose only and do it slowly, thinking about the number 1 - about 3 seconds
- hold your breath thinking of number 1 for 3 seconds
- exhale for 3 seconds thinking about number 1
- repeat the above sequence for all the numbers from 2 ->10
- focus on breathing the air into your stomach and when exhaling, do it in a controlled manner - don't let the air out immediately, but push it slowly by contracting your abdomen.
- if ANY thought aside the number you are focusing on, will come into your mind, you have to be honest with yourself and start over from 1 smile.gif
- how far can you count? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 7 2014, 09:10 PM) *
I'm going to start my practices for a while with breaking down the A Minor Bear lesson. I'll spend 20 minutes on that, 10 minutes ear training, and then an hour on Ben's lesson and the next day an hour on Bear's beginner solo. Does this sound ok? (Need to set an alarm because I know I'll over run trying just one more time rolleyes.gif

This sounds like a pretty ok schedule for now - let's see how it works first things first, ok? wink.gif

I have listened to the recording and I think you are on the right path! Nothing to comment yet, aside of the fact that the note length could be a bit longer, just a TINY bit longer, in order to sound natural yet tight smile.gif Let's see the continuation, havingthis in mind, deal?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Nov 8 2014, 05:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 9 2014, 08:34 PM
Post #185

Hello Cosmin,
Back from my short break. I tried the meditation thing, I got up to six but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. All I did was kept on saying the number over and over in my head, the only reason I didn't get past 6 was that I sneezed rolleyes.gif I can't visualise the number, I've never been able to "see" with my mind's eye other than when I am dreaming wink.gif

Now for some more bad news. A night in a hotel bed has started my neck misalignment again. I was only getting occasional pain so it was 99.9% re-aligned. I reckon it's about 75% now, so a knock back of 25% sad.gif As always I'll do my best. Let's hope a night back in my bed with my pillow will help. If I can't play I'll just do ear training biggrin.gif

Cheers buddy

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 10 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #186

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil - it's not really compulsory to visualize the number, though it helps on bringing the visual focus on the ONE thing (counting that is) alongside with the mental focus. Just think of the number and say it in your mind as well - it also helps. So, do I understand that you have managed to count to 6 without ANY thought disturbing the cycle? biggrin.gif You are one focused dude if it worked!

Take the time, mate - let the neck come back into place and then you can resume practice - I'm not going anywhere, so feel free to write me when you are back in action, deal?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 11 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #187

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 10 2014, 08:24 AM) *
Hey Phil - it's not really compulsory to visualize the number, though it helps on bringing the visual focus on the ONE thing (counting that is) alongside with the mental focus. Just think of the number and say it in your mind as well - it also helps. So, do I understand that you have managed to count to 6 without ANY thought disturbing the cycle? biggrin.gif You are one focused dude if it worked!

Take the time, mate - let the neck come back into place and then you can resume practice - I'm not going anywhere, so feel free to write me when you are back in action, deal?

Hello Cosmin, cool.gif

I can focus on one thing with no external distractions but it's when I try to focus on two things like playing and listening to the backing, but I know that will come with time and as I don't get much time it will take longer but that's the way it is, so, it is what it is and I can't change that.
Anyway, today I decided that when life throws you lemons, make lemonade wink.gif I thought of a good way to ear train without having to decipher the electronic tone of my Korg TM-50. Use GP6 smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif One whole note per bar with a blank bar after it to use the time to try to match it. One of life's hurdles, once again came along to put the kibosh on that plan. laugh.gif Today I did many manipulation exercises, 3 times per hour and my neck was much much better, (I've had a lot of practice over the years wink.gif ) I was still not going to play the guitar tonight as that position aggravates it so I was looking forward to my experiment with the TM-50 BUT, I think I am jinxed as I said in my PM yesterday. I got a call from my wife this afternoon, there was a leak from the radiator in the bedroom. I came straight home, the radiator has some weird and wonderful modern two stage dual thread valve design that had come apart internally mad.gif. There is no isolation valve which is what my wife had been looking for. Been on it for four hours, up and down the attic to shut off the water supply to the heating and drain the system (due to there not being an isolation valve) trying different things but it turns out the valve has a design fault rolleyes.gif. On top of that going in and out of the attic banging my head and shoulders on the rafters has done my neck no good at all, so on top of a damaged carpet my neck is bloody sore rolleyes.gif Oh well what doesn't kill us makes us stronger eh?

So, no guitar words for you tonight but be assured I will be back trying, trying and trying again and I don't care how many times you tell me there is something wrong I'll go back to the studio and try again, so long as I have something else to work on to prevent boredom settling in I'll be happy.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 12 2014, 09:12 AM
Post #188

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Philster!

This is definitely a bold step forward towards having the right atittude - life and lemonade go together well wink.gif

using guitar pro like that is a pretty great option and you can slowly build your relative ear training drill like that - one good example, would be to isolate a certain type of interval and focus on it, in various keys.

- select your aimed type of interval - major third for instance
- write down all the notes and their major thirds in a GP file - make the note durations lengthy, so that you may work without fearing time constraints at this point - for instance, a whole bar of C and a whole bar of E (C = root, E = major third) at a slow tempo.
- listen to them closely for a few minutes
- next, listen to the root note and sing the third for each example you have written down

This will get the intervals in your mind like nothing else! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 12 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #189

Thanks Cosmin,

Should be playing full time again tomorrow all being well, had a little go tonight without too much pain (see below).

Do you mean something like this?

[attachment=39775:Major_thirds.gp5]

I don't know why bars 19-24 are showing as small bars, I changed it in design view (GP6) saved it as GPX and then exported it as GP5 so anyone without GP6 can read it. It doesn't really matter but it messes with my head biggrin.gif

Also listened to Bear's A Minor pentatonic track 10 times at 50% in GP6, I'm amazed how many notes aren't on the beat and many don't evern seem to be on the & as in 1&2&3&4. It seems very complicated to me to have to actually think about that on the fly. I managed to play along with the 50% GP6 file without watching the screen for clues when to come in. When I tried with the backing track it completely threw me. It's a shame the metronome can't be switched on on the main lesson just as a guide to start with wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 13 2014, 12:31 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 13 2014, 04:04 PM
Post #190

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil!

You actually tried seconds, in the GP right? Let's take the first two bars for instance - 0 = A and 2 = B B is a second in relationship to A. If you would've wanted to play the third of A, you would've tried C# - that meaning 4 smile.gif Please let me know if you are with me on this, ok?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 13 2014, 04:15 PM
Post #191

Hello Cosmin,

I am with you 100%, I was being a total numpty and using the root as the 1st rolleyes.gif Pure brain dead moment mate, sorry. Don't forget Wednesday is my midweek food and beer night tongue.gif

Cheers, I'll rectify and re-post later.

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 13 2014, 09:53 PM
Post #192

Alo Cosmin,

OK, more shit tonight, remember that legal stuff I had to do a while back, well I had another 90 minutes of legal paperwork to do, not for work but me taking on a very large company for mis-selling goods mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Anyway, I managed to redo the GP5 file, it's below but i am wondering, what do you reckon putting a blank bar in-between each to allow me to match the note on my own after matching it along with the played note (using the tuner to help). Do you think this would be better or not?

[attachment=39782:Major_thirds.gp5]

Cele mai bune urări

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 14 2014, 11:14 AM
Post #193

Instructor
Group Icon

Heyyyy! Phil biggrin.gif I'm wondering, who's doing the great job on teaching you romanian? biggrin.gif

It's a good idea and I think that it raises a bar a bit - I would leave the root note as it is and add the empty bar after the interval - so that you can focus on the interval smile.gif

It's a pattern you can use for each interval type wink.gif How's the neck feeling, mate?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 14 2014, 09:22 PM
Post #194

Mulțumesc Cosmin,

De ajutorul dumneavoastră este foarte apreciat smile.gif

I have done the GP5 and will get using it. I have also made one for A Minor pentatonic scale in one octave with a blank bar after each note bar to practice perfect pitch. I've put them in here but do you think it would help if I put it in the practice section of the forum for others to use?

[attachment=39788:Major_thirds.gp5]

[attachment=39827:A_minor_Pent_1_oct.gp5]

The neck is still giving me grief, it's the longest and most painful case I've had. I can play the guitar for short periods of time so will now start climbing the mountain again. Currently back at base camp smile.gif

Mă întorc

Pace pentru tine

Phil smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 16 2014, 11:47 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 15 2014, 07:35 PM
Post #195

Instructor
Group Icon

Salut Phil!

Ma bucur tare mult ca imi scrii in Romana biggrin.gif

Figure this one out, mate tongue.gif

Well, I think it would be a nice idea and the community would surely appreciate it! So yes, go ahead and post them there as well smile.gif Moving to the A minor penta scale, eh? smile.gif I would be curious to see a session of ear training with these files, recorded by you - what do you think?

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 15 2014, 08:30 PM
Post #196

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 15 2014, 07:35 PM) *
Ma bucur tare mult ca imi scrii in Romana biggrin.gif

Alo Cosmin,

Mă testează ca întotdeauna rolleyes.gif Vă rugăm să nu scrie prea mult , eu sunt un începător și elev lent biggrin.gif tongue.gif

I will record me trying out this A Minor ear training but maybe later in the week if that is ok with you cool.gif

For now I am going to get my fingers on the fretboard to see how I can stand the pain blink.gif

Do you like my cartoon?

Stare bună de sănătate pentru tine Cosmin

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 15 2014, 10:13 PM
Post #197

Alo Cosmin,

OK, I've done all my neck can stand for tonight rolleyes.gif It's so close to being 100% I don't want to push it.

I've just recorded the old A Minor thing again, as you know I haven't played for quite a while but I thought I'd give it to you so we can get back on track. I played this track along with Bear's lesson and to my ears it doesn't sound a million miles away with regards timing but it still lacks vibrancy but I guess that is the kind of thing that comes in time as you start to become one with the instrument.

Rupe -l în afară

[attachment=39817:Bear_A_M...15112014.wav]

Mulțumiri

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 16 2014, 01:58 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 16 2014, 09:19 AM
Post #198

Instructor
Group Icon

Buna dimineata Phil! biggrin.gif

Your cartoon ROCKS ... and Jason hunted you down without mercy laugh.gif Now for the recording of the ear training drill - by all means, when you feel ready, send it over and we'll discuss the recording together.

Now, for the Bear lesson - it sounds good to me as well, aside a few things which could benefit from your focus a bit more:

- the vibrato should be wider
- in the second part - the timing and staccato of the phrases around 0:19 and 0:27 would need more practice

I think that if you take care of these aspects and play as natural as possible, we can take it to the REC zone smile.gif Do we have an accord, Sir?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 17 2014, 09:38 PM
Post #199

Bună seara Cosmin, sau dimineata cum va fi cand vei citi aceasta,

I've just given 10 minutes to the A Minor ear training. Is it ok, at this stage to match the note with my voice while it is playing and then holding it? It tell you, it is harder to do than I thought regarding the breathing biggrin.gif Singing must be very difficult smile.gif

Tonight's try, treble is a bit harsh, need to tame it a bit rolleyes.gif

[attachment=39852:Bear_A_M...17112014.wav]

gândurile dumneavoastră, vă rugăm Cosmin cool.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Nov 18 2014, 11:47 AM
Post #200

Instructor
Group Icon

Howdy Phil!

That's perfectly ok, matey smile.gif Just remember to slowly breathe in before singing the note - a short relaxed breath will do just fine wink.gif I will tell you more on breathing once we go further.

About Bear's lesson - I have a hunch that if you pull it off like this for the REC Zone, you will have a nice surprise biggrin.gif The tone, intonation and timing and expression are good - I would give you a 9, because there were some very slight moments of hesitation in the second part, but nothing that could flunk you - in my opinion smile.gif

Let's go for the REC Zone!

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2017 - 09:46 AM