> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phill66's Beginner Book
Phil66
post Dec 14 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #241

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Deal Cosmin sama,

I don't know where the time is going lately, it's nearly time to retire to my bed and I haven't had chance to lay my hands on my guitar today or yesterday mad.gif

Let's hope the new comes with 26 hours a day biggrin.gif

Noroc

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 15 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #242

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Tell me about it... I have NO UTTER IDEA about what happened to this day laugh.gif I'll be looking forward to see your recordings, as usual! I'd be so greedy as to ask for 32 hrs/day laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 15 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #243

Alo Cosmin,

Ok, slight distraction today. I have been practicing the power chord lesson tonight and then I remembered that you wanted to hear a recording of me playing the Rock The Nation solo. Well I found my folder that I had when I was being taught by a local man years ago. I found the tab to the solo, I've had a quick go but I need to re-learn it, there are a couple of fiddly bits in it. Anyway, I was browsing through all the stuff in there and I came across some tab of a little rhythm I made up. I've just done a quick take of it for you to listen to. It's not very clean (it's the first time I've played it in years and I only recorded the first take) and it's real basic but I still kinda like it. It's called "Nora's Walk". It's named after a character called Nora Batty in a British comedy series. She was what we call a "battleaxe" and she had an admirer called Compo. This rhythm was inspired by her marching down the street, broom in hand to bash Compo with smile.gif

I don't know what key it's in but I thought you may like to have a listen to see if you think I got the menacing march feel in the rhythm wink.gif

[attachment=40191:Nora_s_Walk.wav]

No practice tomorrow, got the work's Christmas party. Sorry.

Anyway, I'd be interested in your thoughts on that little rhythm, it is very very basic so don't expect much, I just like it for some reason smile.gif

Noroc

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 16 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #244

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil!

It definitely feels like marching biggrin.gif It is definitely a pentatonic based riff and it reminds me of Free's 'Alright Now' wink.gif That's clearly something good and it proves the fact that once we put our mind to re-enacting something which surrounds us in the environment, by reproducing it in a musical form, regardless of how simple or complicated it is, it will actually be a genuine representation of our imagination at that point. I remember a little piece I wrote when I was in the 9th grade - it had three chords and 4 notes over them - I WAS SO UTTERLY amazed with the sounds and with the idea that I immediately called my mom and dad to show them.

I totally understand why you like it and I think you should get back to doing these things smile.gif Share them with me - record all your ideas, regardless of how you think they sound now wink.gif You will very much enjoy them later biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 19 2014, 08:57 PM
Post #245

Alo Cosmin,

Sorry for being absent, been dead on my feet that past few days.

I can't believe 42 people have downloaded Nora's Walk. I've tabbed it out in case anyone can't work it out.

[attachment=40215:Nora_s_Walk_TAB.txt]

I'm assuming I could use A Minor pentatonic to improvise over the track, am I correct? I personally think it's a good little rhythm to have as backing to come up with little licks etc, it's uncluttered and basic. I'm pretty useless at improvising though but maybe others can use it.
By the way, the bend at the end of represents dear old Nora waving her broom in the air like a tribal war spear when she spots Compo trying to hide smile.gif

I'm back on track for the weekend at least, then the hectic Christmas week begins. Bring on 2015 biggrin.gif

Got another idea called "The Chase", it's a lot longer than Nora's Walk but I'll try to get it down for you. It's all power chord based.

Need to brush up on Ben's Staccato Power Chords now, lost some of what I had through not playing. I took a stop off at the Lazy Guitar Bar for far too long rolleyes.gif

Speak soon buddy.

Noroc

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 20 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #246

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil, no worries mate - I had a killer week myself visiting my clients with presents and invoices laugh.gif

Well, I told you that presenting your ideas will pay off wink.gif When will you start believing me, good Sir? biggrin.gif Indeed, you can use the A minor pentatonic and the A minor blues scale to improvise over it - why not try to drop off a few improv ideas of your own over the track? You can always steal a few lines from Bear's lesson and modiffy them a bit to make them your own smile.gif Everthought about this? biggrin.gif

Looking forward to hear the next recording from Ben's lesson - what do you say, will we finish it before the new year begins?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 20 2014, 04:12 PM
Post #247

All Cosmin,

I do believe you mate, my biggest problem is my impatience and my lack of time compounds it mad.gif
I'll do my best to rise to your challenge to get it done before 2015, I like that kind of challenge, it gives me a target. I've got lots on during this period and am going away for a few days at the end of December/beginning of January but I'll do my best. In a strange way I get comfort knowing that Rhida too struggled with the Ben lesson; I know I'm not alone and somehow that makes me feel better. I can do it OK with all down strokes but the upstrokes are still hard on the E when muting. I'm going to try a different left hand technique this evening wink.gif
Noroc
Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 21 2014, 09:00 AM
Post #248

Instructor
Group Icon

Cheers Philster!

I got one more day of doing things (tomorrow) and today, I must clean up my loft for Christmas and then it's all guitar playing and reading and spending quality time with milady, for me as well biggrin.gif

Now, as before, don't let the impatience ruin your good time, ok? Rhida is struggling with lessons as well, but you should be only looking at your path - you are you and he is himself. You should take comfort in your own strength and in your abilities, not in the fact that someone else is struggling too. Be strong and walk your path, matey! biggrin.gif I'm here to watch you take the steps - but you are the one taking them!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rhida
post Dec 21 2014, 09:40 AM
Post #249

Member No.: 19.985

Guys are you talking about me? wink.gif

Frankly I know that I struggle with some lessons and as I already said I 'm here to improve so it doesn't bother me at all. I want to know where the problem is to get rid of it. I know I have a lot of weaknesses but I work on them. They won't win!!! biggrin.gif
Everytime I post something at Rec I see it as an opportunity to get valuable insights from the instructors. They know better than most of us here! Grades are really really not important at my stage of development.
Please Phil, I already told you don't compare yourself to others. You are only hurting yourself in the long run.
When I see someone pass a lesson here I 'm happy for him or her and it inspires me to do the same and it makes me believe that everything is possible with motivation hard work and constant practice. I don't care at all how many times it took him or her to succeed.
Work on your mindset to make this process fun!
There 's only one you!
Be the best you can be!
This community is not a competition it's a family!

Take care play have fun and improve even at baby step!

This post has been edited by Rhida: Dec 21 2014, 09:58 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 21 2014, 10:06 AM
Post #250

Instructor
Group Icon

Rhida, thanks for the input and good thoughts! wink.gif

There ya go Phil - the man has spoken and truth he has uttered - ya know, when two people tell you that you are drunk, you should go to sleep, as they say in my country biggrin.gif So, be patient and enjoy the ride wink.gif

QUOTE (Rhida @ Dec 21 2014, 08:40 AM) *
Guys are you talking about me? wink.gif

Frankly I know that I struggle with some lessons and as I already said I 'm here to improve so it doesn't bother me at all. I want to know where the problem is to get rid of it. I know I have a lot of weaknesses but I work on them. They won't win!!! biggrin.gif
Everytime I post something at Rec I see it as an opportunity to get valuable insights from the instructors. They know better than most of us here! Grades are really really not important at my stage of development.
Please Phil, I already told you don't compare yourself to others. You are only hurting yourself in the long run.
When I see someone pass a lesson here I 'm happy for him or her and it inspires me to do the same and it makes me believe that everything is possible with motivation hard work and constant practice. I don't care at all how many times it took him or her to succeed.
Work on your mindset to make this process fun!
There 's only one you!
Be the best you can be!
This community is not a competition it's a family!

Take care play have fun and improve even at baby step!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 21 2014, 11:56 AM
Post #251

Thank you gentlemen,

I just want to clarify, I don't take pleasure in the fact that Rhida is/was struggling with this lesson, I want him to do well and I did congratulate him and was happy for him when he passed the Ben Staccato lesson. It was just one of those things where I felt better that it wasn't only me struggling. I'm always hard on myself for underachieving and when someone else is struggling it makes me realise that maybe I'm not underachieving, maybe I am the same as most people. We can't all learn at the speed that Vai did, Satriani said that he was teaching Vai whilst he himself was learning and it forced him to learn faster because Vai was so gifted he was learning everything he gave him so quickly he was struggling to keep ahead smile.gif. Plus the fact that Vai had marathon practice sessions of up to 15 hours per day during school holidays and even 8 hours on school days rolleyes.gif I don't get that a week laugh.gif

So once again, thanks Cosmin and Rhida and rest assured I don't take pleasure in the fact that someone else is struggling it is just comforting to know that I'm not the only one. I hope you know what I mean smile.gif

Right I'm off outside in the cold to wash my car then off down the local for a nice roast dinner and a few pints of ale.

Cheers gentlemen.

Phil cool.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 21 2014, 10:06 AM) *
Rhida, thanks for the input and good thoughts! wink.gif

There ya go Phil - the man has spoken and truth he has uttered - ya know, when two people tell you that you are drunk, you should go to sleep, as they say in my country biggrin.gif So, be patient and enjoy the ride wink.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 22 2014, 11:25 AM
Post #252

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil!

Being a fighter is all that it's all about wink.gif I had absolutely no intention of suggesting that you would enjoy the fact that others are struggling, but underlining the fact that you should only look ahead and walk your path as you are already doing smile.gif

Looking forward to your vids and impressions! Take it easy on the feasting, good Sir biggrin.gif

Cosmin

Hey Phil!

Being a fighter is all that it's all about wink.gif I had absolutely no intention of suggesting that you would enjoy the fact that others are struggling, but underlining the fact that you should only look ahead and walk your path as you are already doing smile.gif

Looking forward to your vids and impressions! Take it easy on the feasting, good Sir biggrin.gif

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 22 2014, 09:09 PM
Post #253

Alo Cosmin,

Ok seconds out, round 50. Here is my take from tonight. I am managing to stumble through it to the end, the problem now is that the first half (down stroke rounds) is suffering because I am thinking ahead to the upstroke rounds rolleyes.gif I't trying to plan ahead for what is to come which is stopping getting the first half clean.

I'll try to get a video tomorrow, I let somebody borrow my camera for a while and should get it back tomorrow. You may be able to see some tension or technique issue in it.

For now please have a listen to this messy piece of work.

[attachment=40275:Ben_Stac...22122014.wav]

Pace

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 23 2014, 06:39 PM
Post #254

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil!

Listened and here are my suggestions:

- up to 0:15 when the pice becomes a bit more crowded, you have a tendency to rush ahead of the beat a little - please stay as laid back as necessary in order to play as tight as possible with the drums.
- in both ending parts - the one around 0:15 and the one around 0:29 until the end, you need to focus on cleaning up the unwanted noises, produced when shifting the positions.

I look forward to see the video, as I think that one will tell me more on the noises smile.gif

Let's rock, then!

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 23 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #255

Alo Cosmin,

Rest assured I'll be working on it. Hopefully I will be more focused now than of late. Had a lot going on during all waking hours. I have entered the Christmas colab too so I'll need to work on that.

Noroc buddy

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 23 2014, 08:10 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 24 2014, 12:05 PM
Post #256

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil!

One step at a time, mate wink.gif I hope to breathe a little these days, as I had a very busy year, so just some acoustic playing - I prepared a nice present for milady - an acoustic rendition of her favorite tune which I will video record in the exact moment when I perform it for her biggrin.gif I'm so darn thrilled!

So - you have to focus points from a musical perspective smile.gif The collab and finishing the lesson. Relaxing can make those crowded parts shift a lot easier - so try not to put any tension and raise the left hand fingers just that little enough, so that they don't leave the strings but they won't produce noises as well.

Looking forward to see yer vid, mate!

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 25 2014, 12:10 AM
Post #257

Allo Cosmin,
OK, I have to apologise, I haven't practised Ben's lesson tonight but I have been tuning up the Christmas collab. I seem to enjoy making my own stuff rather than following lessons BUT I understand that the lessons are required to improve technique.

Cheers buddy; gotta finish this bottle of Jack rolleyes.gif

Noroc

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 26 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #258

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil smile.gif

Merry Chrismas to you, mate!

It is indeed a combination between training the technique and exercising your creative senses, so if you ask me, working on lessons in parallel with getting involved in collabs, is pretty much a very good thing.

The lessons teach you a certain princple/applyed theory/technique/vocabulary wise, which can later on be applied in a collab, in creative way.

For instance, you have tackled the pentatonic lesson so far - you can always take things out of it, simply by adapting the ideas to the collab key - what notes make up the original lesson key? What notes make up the collab key? This is a good starting point for seeing what ideas you can take from the lessons and make your own by adapting to the collab context.

Have you thought about this? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 26 2014, 08:35 PM
Post #259

Alo Cosmin,

Yes I have thought about that but for some reason I struggle to adapt other parts of another lesson into my music, maybe it doesn't feel purely natural to me.

Here are some of the nice things that have been said about my little piece. I know you are on holiday but if you find time to give me any advice it would be great, it's Kristopher's second comment that I don't fully understand. mulțumesc.

The reason I am so happy with the comments is that I know you guys don't give false praise smile.gif

Kristopher said:
Hi Phil, thanks so much for submitting your take. Everyone will make it to the final product.

This is a very nice, static/dreamy kind of solo. You do everything by the book with the way you build this solo, without forgetting the ever so important breathing rooms. This immediately helps elevate your take, musically.

The beginning phrases are pretty much by the book as I said, so the next step is to start thinking about those subtle details which can turn - apparently simple - phrases into heart melting music.

Kristopher said:
Hey Phil - great to know Your that much engaged to make it best as possible. I think we still have much spacer for adding even more goods in the take. Let's think about the atriculation. L:istening carefuly I find alot of hidden, important details. You have a very beautiful beggining with gentle vibrato, prebend and right picking dynamics - it's been playd with pasion for sure

What I would think to replace is the lick around 0:23. It does not feet the all other part of the solo. It sound a bit too raw, to "practicing sort of", to square for what You have presented in the previous part I would suggest to find a bit less "pentatonic" feel in that particular moment, to fit the beautiful things You did in the first part of Your take

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 26 2014, 08:38 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 27 2014, 10:32 AM
Post #260

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil,

I think that what Kris is trying to say, is that the part that he suggests you to replace is one that is out of context with the general mindstate of your take. The take is purely musical and this part came in just so that it may fill in some space - I think he means that you should adapt that part, so that it may fit the musical scenery you have already created smile.gif

So, take that phrase and maybe substract some notes, add some vibrato or bend or add some rests, in order to make it sound musical and not like an exercise.

About managing to 'steal' from lessons - hey, that's a trick of the trade that is developed in time - but it has to start somewhere. I do believe that each lesson has to have something you like - name your favorite passage out of Bear's lesson - it can be a little, teeny weeny phrase, or just the clash of a note against a certain chord.. you name it smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 26 2014, 07:35 PM) *
Alo Cosmin,

Yes I have thought about that but for some reason I struggle to adapt other parts of another lesson into my music, maybe it doesn't feel purely natural to me.

Here are some of the nice things that have been said about my little piece. I know you are on holiday but if you find time to give me any advice it would be great, it's Kristopher's second comment that I don't fully understand. mulțumesc.

The reason I am so happy with the comments is that I know you guys don't give false praise smile.gif

Kristopher said:
Hi Phil, thanks so much for submitting your take. Everyone will make it to the final product.

This is a very nice, static/dreamy kind of solo. You do everything by the book with the way you build this solo, without forgetting the ever so important breathing rooms. This immediately helps elevate your take, musically.

The beginning phrases are pretty much by the book as I said, so the next step is to start thinking about those subtle details which can turn - apparently simple - phrases into heart melting music.

Kristopher said:
Hey Phil - great to know Your that much engaged to make it best as possible. I think we still have much spacer for adding even more goods in the take. Let's think about the atriculation. L:istening carefuly I find alot of hidden, important details. You have a very beautiful beggining with gentle vibrato, prebend and right picking dynamics - it's been playd with pasion for sure

What I would think to replace is the lick around 0:23. It does not feet the all other part of the solo. It sound a bit too raw, to "practicing sort of", to square for what You have presented in the previous part I would suggest to find a bit less "pentatonic" feel in that particular moment, to fit the beautiful things You did in the first part of Your take

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 06:13 PM