> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phill66's Beginner Book
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 3 2014, 07:29 AM
Post #61

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Do you know what empty mind is? smile.gif

One definition could emphasize the idea in which you stop thinking about the something you have to do and you just get to it and let yourself be immersed in it. Do it slowly and observe yourself - are you tense? De-tense smile.gif Are you afraid? You have no reason to be afraid - it's not an exam, you are not preparing for a fight and your fate will not be decided on the outcome of the result. Stop thinking and enjoy what you are doing - that's the first step to emptying your mind when playing.

When you have an empty mind, you are relaxed and immersed in the activity you are pursuing - thus better results will come. With exercise and the right state of mind and attitude, the results will become better and better. I tend to think you are overthinking things smile.gif When the REC button goes, record several versions without expectations - just focus on the music and not on the idea of recording.

That's when the magic will occur smile.gif About the vocal line - I believe you have to try it in order to see if it's good or not. I am not insisting, but you will never know otherwise, so - as the famous Alice in Chains song says: It's youuuuuur decision cool.gif

About relative pitch - that's exactly what we are doing smile.gif Sorting out notes which are already there in respect to a given harmony, as a plus.

If it feels difficult - we can always go to an easier task at first, which involves your voice as well. Most people leave their voice aside, because they think they have no voice - WRONG smile.gif We all have a voice, but our hearing is more or less trained.

- make sure your guitar is tuned
- play a not with your guitar
- stick a mic in a guitar tuner
- play that note again and sing it in the mic in the same time
- does the tuner indicate the note you played with the guitar? If not, look at where you are - higher or lower - and try to lower or raise the pitch of your voice until you reach that note.
- repeat the process until you get the note right with your voice

I'm sure you're gonna tell me - but I can't sing. It's not about singing - at this point wink.gif - it's about training your ear to recognize tones in respect to a given landmark - relative pitch training, it is called smile.gif

What do you think?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 2 2014, 11:27 AM) *
Thanks biggrin.gif

If that sounds better to you maybe it's because I was more relaxed at not having to show you my skills or lack of them? Maybe I tense up with REC button syndrome?

I can't send you a recording of Let It Be just yet, it will sound more like Humpty Dumpty and I'd be so embarrassed rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 7 2014, 09:15 PM
Post #62

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

I'll give it a go Cosmin, thanks, I just find that when I am recording stuff for you time disappears which is why I am only going to record at weekends from now on. This weekend has been a mad one, I've made a recording of the C major lesson but I had a lot of problems with Movie Maker rejecting sound files again, I downloaded Lightworks which looks very good but isn't as easy as Movie Maker, I managed to get this one done through Movie Maker but I don't know how, it just worked after a few attempts, I didn't want to just upload the camera shot as the sound wasn't too good. I did a double loop. I find it odd that it never ever sounds as good when you play it back as it did when you are playing it, it's as though your mind hears what it wants when you are playing but hears it as it is when you are listening.
This was rushed but I wanted to put something up. I will record tomorrow, even though I said I wouldn't as I did promise to get two videos to you today. Sorry I didn't but time just vanished mad.gif

I've just bought Let It Be so I'll give it a try this week.

Thanks for your patience smile.gif

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 8 2014, 07:20 AM
Post #63

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil - technology getting in the way again eh? I totally get you man! I've been struggling to work in the GoPro studio as I wanted to put this Friday's gig with my band in a big mix with all sorts of funny vids we shot on the way home in our van, but somehow... SOMEHOW it doesn't want to export a working version.. Anyway, back to the C major smile.gif

I think you have progressed a lot, mate! I can also see and hear the vibrato which is much wider and defined since last time, but I noticed three spots which would require your attention:

0:22. 0:36 - you have some hesitations which lead to a bit of delay

01:16 - there's a little mistake there

Otherwise, I think it's good, Phil! biggrin.gif

How about preparing it for the REC zone now?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 8 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #64

Hello Cosmin,

Should this go to the REC zone? I still got some REC button nerves rolleyes.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 9 2014, 07:34 AM
Post #65

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil!

Your vibrato is getting better and better! I think there are parts where the playing is a bit, just a bit rushed - minute 0:07 for instance, but you know what, let's take it to the REC and see what the guys have to say. It's a lot better than before, so I'd take it there for testing the waters as they say wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 9 2014, 07:54 AM
Post #66

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 9 2014, 07:34 AM) *
Hey Phil!

Your vibrato is getting better and better! I think there are parts where the playing is a bit, just a bit rushed - minute 0:07 for instance, but you know what, let's take it to the REC and see what the guys have to say. It's a lot better than before, so I'd take it there for testing the waters as they say wink.gif

I noticed the rushing on playback, there were a few takes before where I made small mistakes but there wasn't any rushing, maybe subconsciously I was trying to get it over and done with rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 9 2014, 07:40 PM
Post #67

Cosmin,

I had forgotten that I got a pass on the open chord lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52852 the lesson after this I didn't pass but as I have passed once can I move on now? I'll still play that to warm up until it is nailed right down.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 9 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #68

Hello Cosmin,

Ok, I've given it a go, it took me ages to get this and I still can't tell if it is right. I had to go outside of the shapes used in Bear's C Major lesson to make the fingering easier but I kept to C Major.
I've only managed to get "When I Find Myself", I can honestly say that this is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. I really struggle to listen and find the notes, I seem to forget what I've just heard as soon as I hit the stop button. I'm the same when I am doing calculations in my head, I lose track of where I am, I am very good a maths but not in my head, (terrible when I play darts rolleyes.gif ). I guess it's like anything, some skills take longer for some people to develop.
Please have a listen and give me a nudge in the right direction.
Cheers
Phil

[attachment=38754:When_I_Find_Myself.wav]

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 10 2014, 09:02 AM
Post #69

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil,

Since you have passed this, you can leave it aside for the time being and maybe practice it later on, if you want to see if you can still remember it. You will most likely play it better, because your senses and technique would have evolved at that point wink.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 9 2014, 06:40 PM) *
Cosmin,

I had forgotten that I got a pass on the open chord lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52852 the lesson after this I didn't pass but as I have passed once can I move on now? I'll still play that to warm up until it is nailed right down.

Cheers

Phil

When the Red light is on, we always tend to rush towards the end like there's a pitbull chasing us smile.gif With time, you will learn to enjoy the process and become more and more relaxed. It's just a button, not an executioner with a guillotine ready for action - in the worst, worst of the worst cases, you will have to record again... and by that, become better and better wink.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 9 2014, 06:54 AM) *
I noticed the rushing on playback, there were a few takes before where I made small mistakes but there wasn't any rushing, maybe subconsciously I was trying to get it over and done with rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 10 2014, 09:10 AM
Post #70

Thanks Cosmin
Should I pick another open chord lesson or what do you recommend? Also what do you recommend to replace the C major lesson? I'm hoping I'll pass this time smile.gif
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 10 2014, 09:15 AM
Post #71

Instructor
Group Icon

Ha! Not bad mate! You added two extra notes, but they are from the key and they sound like a nice embellishment to the theme biggrin.gif

You played E F G G A and the notes are only G G G G A - good going! Don't stop here! You had a great start, so keep going and send me the snippets along smile.gif If I were to quote two of the most revered Asian figures in history - Lao Tzu and Miyamoto Musashi - I'd say:

'The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step' - you took it smile.gif Now, take the next wink.gif
'Everything is difficult at first' - but step by step, it won't be that difficult anymore

Trust me, your ears will thank you!

Cosmin

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 9 2014, 07:43 PM) *
Hello Cosmin,

Ok, I've given it a go, it took me ages to get this and I still can't tell if it is right. I had to go outside of the shapes used in Bear's C Major lesson to make the fingering easier but I kept to C Major.
I've only managed to get "When I Find Myself", I can honestly say that this is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. I really struggle to listen and find the notes, I seem to forget what I've just heard as soon as I hit the stop button. I'm the same when I am doing calculations in my head, I lose track of where I am, I am very good a maths but not in my head, (terrible when I play darts rolleyes.gif ). I guess it's like anything, some skills take longer for some people to develop.
Please have a listen and give me a nudge in the right direction.
Cheers
Phil

[attachment=38754:When_I_Find_Myself.wav]

Got the things for ya mate biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...-4-Open-Chords/ - the more strumming patterns you go through, the more versatile you will become!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ntatonic-Scale/ - the basic rock/blues/metal building brick wink.gif It's pretty similar to the C major lesson, in terms of structure, so you should tackle nicely.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 10 2014, 08:10 AM) *
Thanks Cosmin
Should I pick another open chord lesson or what do you recommend? Also what do you recommend to replace the C major lesson? I'm hoping I'll pass this time smile.gif
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 10 2014, 09:17 AM
Post #72

Thanks Cosmin,

Hmm, I wonder why the notes sound different to me or could it be that I was expecting them to be so I convinced myself that they are different. Strange.
Thanks I feel a little bit more confident now.
Cheers
Phil

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 10 2014, 09:11 AM) *
Ha! Not bad mate! You added two extra notes, but they are from the key and they sound like a nice embellishment to the theme biggrin.gif

You played E F G G A and the notes are only G G G G A - good going! Don't stop here! You had a great start, so keep going and send me the snippets along smile.gif If I were to quote two of the most revered Asian figures in history - Lao Tzu and Miyamoto Musashi - I'd say:

'The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step' - you took it smile.gif Now, take the next wink.gif
'Everything is difficult at first' - but step by step, it won't be that difficult anymore

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 10 2014, 09:28 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 10 2014, 08:56 PM
Post #73

Ello Cosmin,

Ahh, I may have realised something theory wise. All of the notes in A minor pentatonic are from C major from the previous lesson, would that make A minor pentatonic the same as C Major pentatonic or am I blowing outta my ass?? rolleyes.gif

This lesson is great but the little 3 note licks in bars 11, 14 and 15 are a bit tricky tongue.gif

Will look at the Chord one tomorrow, run out of time now.

Thanks Cosmin.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 10 2014, 09:15 AM) *

Cosmin

Got the things for ya mate biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...-4-Open-Chords/ - the more strumming patterns you go through, the more versatile you will become!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ntatonic-Scale/ - the basic rock/blues/metal building brick wink.gif It's pretty similar to the C major lesson, in terms of structure, so you should tackle nicely.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 11 2014, 07:27 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 11 2014, 08:28 AM
Post #74

Instructor
Group Icon

Hehe! As I said, easy does it smile.gif Ear training is not something that takes effect overnight - have patience and just work and explore as much as possible wink.gif The more you do it and the more you post your tries here, the better things will get. No worries, ok?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 10 2014, 08:17 AM) *
Thanks Cosmin,

Hmm, I wonder why the notes sound different to me or could it be that I was expecting them to be so I convinced myself that they are different. Strange.
Thanks I feel a little bit more confident now.
Cheers
Phil

Hey Phil!

That's a very smart observation wink.gif I will give you some stuff to read, about the major scale and its chords as well - in respect to the question you asked about the A2 chord - normally we call it Asus2 (the 2nd suspends the major 3rd)

The idea here is:

Any major scale is formed like this: 1 w 2 w 3 h 4 w 5 w 6 w 7 h 8

w = whole step (the notes have one space on the guitar to )
h = half step (the notes are adjacent on the fretboard)

if we apply that from the C note - we consider C = 1

Then we have, according to the formula: C D E F G A B C

Now, if we think about the A minor scale - we can build it by using this formula - 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 - that means that we apply this formula to the A major scale, in order to obtain the A minor scale. The A major scale can be obtained with the formula I first described smile.gif

Now, the A major scale looks like this: A B C# D E F# G# A

When you see a 'b' in front of any scale degree in any formula, you must lower that degree with one half step, so the result that we get by applying the A minor scale formula to the notes in the A major scale is:

A B C D E F G A - exactly what you discovered smile.gif the notes in the A minor scale are the exact notes from the C major scale, but you begin the scale with A and end it with A - this is actually a MODE of the C major scale.

Now going further, if we get rid of the 2nd and b6th in the A minor scale, we get the A minor pentatonic scale:

A C D E G - 5 notes, right? That's what pentatonic stands for smile.gif

I hope this made sense, mate smile.gif Theory is an amazing tool which will sort out A LOT of situations for any musician wink.gif

Please read more here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=47641
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=48859 - triads are chords that have 3 different sounds/notes - they represent the most basic chord form smile.gif

Please let me know what your thoughts are, ok?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 10 2014, 07:56 PM) *
Ello Cosmin,

Ahh, I may have realised something theory wise. All of the notes in A minor pentatonic are from C major from the previous lesson, would that make A minor pentatonic the same as C Major pentatonic or am I blowing outta my ass?? rolleyes.gif

This lesson is great but the little 3 note licks in bars 11, 14 and 15 are a bit tricky tongue.gif

Will look at the Chord one tomorrow, run out of time now.

Thanks Cosmin.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 11 2014, 08:01 PM
Post #75

Thanks Cosmin,
It all made sense, it's remembering it that's the hard bit tongue.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 12 2014, 07:40 AM
Post #76

Instructor
Group Icon

Glad to hear it clicked wink.gif

Step by step, it will settle in wink.gif I for one, am always thinking about WHAT is happening in a musical context I am learning, in order to cement the theoretical notions I know and juggle with them easier and easier. But first things first, read through the topics I sent and start asking me questions smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 11 2014, 07:01 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin,
It all made sense, it's remembering it that's the hard bit tongue.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 12 2014, 08:07 AM
Post #77

You may regret telling me to start asking questions biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 12 2014, 07:40 AM) *
Glad to hear it clicked wink.gif

Step by step, it will settle in wink.gif I for one, am always thinking about WHAT is happening in a musical context I am learning, in order to cement the theoretical notions I know and juggle with them easier and easier. But first things first, read through the topics I sent and start asking me questions smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 13 2014, 03:23 PM
Post #78

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 12 2014, 07:07 AM) *
You may regret telling me to start asking questions biggrin.gif

I noticed you understand things pretty quickly, so I am not afraid biggrin.gif The hard work goes to you - under the form of practicing biggrin.gif So, how are you faring, mate? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 13 2014, 08:53 PM
Post #79

Been a hard week, work has taken a lot out of my practice time BUT I have been getting on pretty well with the A Minor pentatonic lesson, got it memorised, struggling with the timing a little on the second half with the quick triple note bits but it's coming.

The chord lesson is a bit different, I have neglected it a bit due to the limited time this week, and not really liking the chords, rolleyes.gif the main problem is muting the bass strings on the B chord, (I have been putting a loose bar behind it with my index finger to mute the high E and the A and bass E) and also muting the bass strings in the C#m I am finding particularly hard as I can't get my thumb around because of where my other fingers are sad.gif I'm worried that I am pressing too hard due to the difficulty of it, and then I will be sharpening the notes again mad.gif

I'll plug away, hopefully I'll be able to shoot something to you tomorrow, even if it's only a sound file of the pentatonic lesson. I'm really enjoying that lesson, can't say the same for the open chord one, my left hand needs to do some yoga for flexibility I think, never played those chords before, not in that way anyway.

Thanks Cosmin.

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 14 2014, 08:42 PM
Post #80

I'm afraid I only managed to get this done today, we had family visitors for most of the day rolleyes.gif I managed to get 15 minutes listening to "Let It Be". Here is my latest. I hope it's ok doing what I'm doing, I have Bear's C major lesson open showing the fretboard just to help me a little bit, obviously I'm hoping I won't need to do that if I improve but for now I think it is helping me and not really cheating.
Can I ask a favour please. Tell me which notes are wrong (maybe using the word that is sung will be the easiest) but don't tell me what the note should be, then I can go back and try to find the correct one. So for instance if the note for the second syllable of Mary is incorrect maybe you could type Mary. I hope this is handy for you or you may have a better idea wink.gif

I know the execution is very plink plonk plink plonk but, it's an ear training thing and hopefully once I've eventually got the notes up to and including the first chorus then I can look at embellishing it with slides and bends, blink.gif eeek blink.gif

[attachment=38833:Let_it_be.wav]

Thanks for your help Cosmin

Cheers

Phil

I'll try to get something to you tomorrow, probably just a WAV but something, fingers crossed. I am going on holiday on Friday for a week so work might take over again trying to get ahead with everything before I go.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 14 2014, 08:57 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 02:38 AM