> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phill66's Beginner Book
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 15 2014, 10:31 AM
Post #81

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Hey Phil smile.gif

Glad to hear you like the pentatonic lesson! About the chords - make sure you master each position as best as possible in terms of:

- muting the unnecessary strings
- not pressing to hard
- placing all your fingers at once in the position of the chord and muting the unwanted strings
- making each note sound crystal clear

I can imagine you don't like some chords because they are difficult - but as we have discussed, there's no such thing as a difficult thing wink.gif It's only something you haven't done... YET biggrin.gif Are you with me, good Sir?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 13 2014, 07:53 PM) *
Been a hard week, work has taken a lot out of my practice time BUT I have been getting on pretty well with the A Minor pentatonic lesson, got it memorised, struggling with the timing a little on the second half with the quick triple note bits but it's coming.

The chord lesson is a bit different, I have neglected it a bit due to the limited time this week, and not really liking the chords, rolleyes.gif the main problem is muting the bass strings on the B chord, (I have been putting a loose bar behind it with my index finger to mute the high E and the A and bass E) and also muting the bass strings in the C#m I am finding particularly hard as I can't get my thumb around because of where my other fingers are sad.gif I'm worried that I am pressing too hard due to the difficulty of it, and then I will be sharpening the notes again mad.gif

I'll plug away, hopefully I'll be able to shoot something to you tomorrow, even if it's only a sound file of the pentatonic lesson. I'm really enjoying that lesson, can't say the same for the open chord one, my left hand needs to do some yoga for flexibility I think, never played those chords before, not in that way anyway.

Thanks Cosmin.

Phil

Hey Phil biggrin.gif Listening to it and as you requested, here are the syllables which need to have other notes on them - the ones who are bold:

When I find myself in times of trouble

Mother Mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom

Let it be-e

The ones who are not in bold, are correct - now, try to play and record over the original recording - you will surely notice the differences. Easy does it, ok?

Remember, it's something new, not something like speaking which you have been doing for all your existence smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 15 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #82

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello Cosmin,

I was hoping it would be better than that sad.gif .
I tried to put the iTunes file of Let It Be into my DAW but it wouldn't accept it, any ideas on that?
I'm thinking that the human voice is hard to match for a beginner because it is basically a continuous tone that is infinitely variable. The singer effectively slides up and down to notes, it's not like they are singing in a staccatto (I think the term is) form, maybe this is why it is harder for the beginner. I think it would be easier (though I don't want it that way), if it was played with one finger on a keyboard, then all you hear is the target note rather than the "slide" up or down to the target note.
Some of the notes I thought didn't sound quite right but the note above or below in the scale sounded too high or too low. Any suggestions about this without giving answers?

Thanks Cosmin.

Cheers

Phil

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 15 2014, 10:31 AM) *
Hey Phil biggrin.gif Listening to it and as you requested, here are the syllables which need to have other notes on them - the ones who are bold:

Mother Mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom

Let it be-e

The ones who are not in bold, are correct - now, try to play and record over the original recording - you will surely notice the differences. Easy does it, ok?

Remember, it's something new, not something like speaking which you have been doing for all your existence smile.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 15 2014, 09:21 PM
Post #83

Mother Mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom

Let it be-e

Hello Cosmin,

I am extreeeeemly frustrated. To my ears "IN" sounds lower than "self", if "self" is an A then the note down in the scale is G which is what I played and you said it was wrong, if I play an F it sounds too low, I really don't think I'll ever manage to get my ear trained. I really can't find the note, I've spent an hour listening, playing, listening, playing and G sounds the closest to me even though it doesn't sound bang on I can't find a closer one in the scale.
And if all of this is wrong,

in times of trouble

Mother Mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom

Then I'm at a loss. There's 18 syllables there and I can't even get one with only 8 notes to choose from mad.gif I managed to put the track into my DAW, (there's a way to convert within iTunes rolleyes.gif ) and try to get the "IN" note, I nearly sent my guitar to the Epiphone graveyard via the window mad.gif

A whole practise session down the pan sad.gif

I kept waking up last night "singing" Let It Be" blink.gif I ain't gonna sleep at all tonight huh.gif

Back to the pentatonic lesson and open chord lesson tomorrow, put this away for a bit and get the proper lessons worked on wink.gif

Sorry for the rant Cosmin but my head is about to pop blink.gif

Cheers buddy smile.gif

Phil (wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off) biggrin.gif

Mother Mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom

Let it be-e

Hello Cosmin,

I am extreeeeemly frustrated. To my ears "IN" sounds lower than "self", if "self" is an A then the note down in the scale is G which is what I played and you said it was wrong, if I play an F it sounds too low, I really don't think I'll ever manage to get my ear trained. I really can't find the note, I've spent an hour listening, playing, listening, playing and G sounds the closest to me even though it doesn't sound bang on I can't find a closer one in the scale.
And if all of this is wrong,

in times of trouble

Mother Mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom

Then I'm at a loss. There's 18 syllables there and I can't even get one with only 8 notes to choose from mad.gif I managed to put the track into my DAW, (there's a way to convert within iTunes rolleyes.gif ) and try to get the "IN" note, I nearly sent my guitar to the Epiphone graveyard via the window mad.gif

A whole practise session down the pan sad.gif

I kept waking up last night "singing" Let It Be" blink.gif I ain't gonna sleep at all tonight huh.gif

Back to the pentatonic lesson and open chord lesson tomorrow, put this away for a bit and get the proper lessons worked on wink.gif

Sorry for the rant Cosmin but my head is about to pop blink.gif

Cheers buddy smile.gif

Phil (wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off) biggrin.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 16 2014, 09:56 AM
Post #84

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil smile.gif 'Another practice session down the drain' - That's why it's called practicing - don't think that if you don't get instant gratification, you are not practicing. This is the wrong approach. Ear training is a LENGTHY process. You need to be patient and approach things in the following manner:

- use a software that slows tracks down such as The Amazing Slowdowner - you can download it for free here: http://www.ronimusic.com/amsldowin.htm
- place the track in the software and slow it down until it's comfy for you to play along with it
- start the camera and record
- listen to the recording and compare: are the notes spot on? If not, which ones aren't and where are they - lower, or higher?

A preliminary step in your ear training, as I mentioned in the past is the one in which you connect a microphone to the tuner, play a not on the guitar and then try to imitate it with your voice. The tuner will tell you if you are lower or higher and you can adjust the voice lower or higher till you hit that note. In time, your ear will pick notes up almost instantaneously.

You need to dedicate 15-20 minutes daily to this process in order to see results. Don't get frustrated - there's no reason to it smile.gif You are on the right path, but it takes time and practice.

Don't try to tackle ALL the verse part in one shot - take just 'Mother Mary comes to me' try to tackle JUST this part - deal?

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 16 2014, 10:00 AM
Post #85

Thanks Cosmin,

I guess being an engineer is the cross I have to bear, I need my ears, mind and fingers to be CNC machines wink.gif My patience is not good when I don't see or feel even the slightest improvement.

I'll try again tonight but will cap it to 20 minutes to save my guitar from going to the great gig in the sky wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 16 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #86

WOW blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

That was one of the strangest things I've ever heard!!! Sir Paul McCartney at 33% with no pitch change blink.gif blink.gif it's like something out of The Exorcist. I couldn't get along with it so I went back to full speed, it's so odd and the vibrato in the voice is just scarey biggrin.gif definitely needs a visit from a priest tongue.gif

Anyway here is tonight's go. The F still doesn't sound right to me but it's the only option I've got in the scale, I think unsure.gif .

[attachment=38849:Let_it_be_2.wav]

Rip it

Cheers Cosmin

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 16 2014, 08:39 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 16 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #87

Hello Cosmin,

Ok, this was first take, I was running out of time as I'd just set up Reaper and had to have a self taught crash course so lets hope all is ok unsure.gif

Now I know this is no where near perfect, I just wanted to show you I'm bashing away.

[attachment=38851:Bear_14_...ntatonic.wav]

I'll do the chord lesson tomorrow and just play one chord at the beginning of each bar as I'm struggling with two of them.

Is this ok putting just sound files up mid week if I feel I need to? It's so much quicker than video.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 17 2014, 09:31 AM
Post #88

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 16 2014, 07:39 PM) *
WOW blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

That was one of the strangest things I've ever heard!!! Sir Paul McCartney at 33% with no pitch change blink.gif blink.gif it's like something out of The Exorcist. I couldn't get along with it so I went back to full speed, it's so odd and the vibrato in the voice is just scarey biggrin.gif definitely needs a visit from a priest tongue.gif

Anyway here is tonight's go. The F still doesn't sound right to me but it's the only option I've got in the scale, I think unsure.gif .

[attachment=38849:Let_it_be_2.wav]

Rip it

Cheers Cosmin

Phil

Hey Phil biggrin.gif I am glad you are practicing guitar combined with paranormal activities biggrin.gif Sounds uber exciting biggrin.gif

Now, you tackled - When I find myself in times of trouble - right?

Here are the words that need different notes:

In - is lower than your recording and trou -ble - this one is higher smile.gif Have you tried to record over the original? As I mentioned before - this will shine a very powerful comparative light on things wink.gif Also, have you tried the method for recognizing single notes, that I mentioned as well?

Hey Phil!

Things sound good with the A minor lesson! I'd be curious to hear it against the backing track though, as in this moment it doesn't have a rhythmic landmark that will help me see if there are any issues. I have nothing against just audio recordings at all wink.gif So, shall we go for a recording with the backing as well?

Mate, I am also an engineer tongue.gif So, no worries, I understand exactly what you mean and what you are going through. But patience. determination and hard work are your best friends here - an engineer has those inoculated in his education, out of what I know biggrin.gif Correct?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 17 2014, 09:40 AM
Post #89

Hello Cosmin,

I did record over the original but that note "IN" is so quick. The other notes don't sound exact to me but I ran out of time and couldn't find the right ones.
I have tried the single note method with a tuner but fitting ear training, open chords, A minor pentatonic and polishing up the other open chord and C major scale lessons is hard to fit into 90minutes max. tongue.gif

As far as patience goes regarding being an engineer, one job I do, the customer gives me a +/-.003mm tolerance, now that takes patience in a component that is only 2.5mm thick in places and made from aluminium ohmy.gif but my patience isn't strong when the returns don't quantify the time/effort put in, so if I don't see/feel at least a microscopic increase in development/skill/precision then I get savage. biggrin.gif mad.gif

Cheers

Phil biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 17 2014, 09:49 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 17 2014, 09:33 PM
Post #90

Ok Cosmin,

Very limited time tonight, took wife out for the evening cool.gif so dived in and did this take, as you will hear I am still struggling with the triple notes on the high strings and the timing on them is a little off but I am enjoying this one biggrin.gif Picking dynamics isn't very good either.

[attachment=38877:Beginner...ntatonic.mp3]

No ear training tonight, sorry sad.gif

No open chords tonight, sorry sad.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 18 2014, 09:22 AM
Post #91

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil smile.gif Two things:

1) don't try to cram up everything everyday - I know it's hard to accept this, but instead of leaving something unfinished just to practice 'everything', I'd focus on getting something done correctly and understanding it and then practicing in order to correct form and execution rather then leaving it to get to the next thing and mark everything with 'went through in that day'

2) slow it down if it's too fast and try to emulate the note while listening to the slowed down recording smile.gif I know it's tedious, but hopefully you will thank yourself for taking the time, later on wink.gif

Hey again mate smile.gif let's see whatchagot'ere...

hmmm - all I hear is an empty backing track biggrin.gif Please check if you sent the right file wink.gif

Thank you!

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 18 2014, 08:10 PM
Post #92

Ooooops,

Here is last night's take [attachment=38894:Bear_14_...ntatonic.wav]

As I said not brilliant but just so you can see I am having a go.

I'm enjoying this lesson so much it's stopping me doing the other stuff, there's something I like about bars 9-19, don't know what but they're great.

Cheers Cosmin.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 18 2014, 09:19 PM
Post #93

Here's tonight's take. Managed to slot this in in between packing for my holiday, after a morning at work tomorrow I'm of to the airport hotel, that's where the party starts cool.gif then flying out on Saturday morning and returning Sunday 28th afternoon cool.gif so you will get a bit of peace for a week.

Cheers buddy.

[attachment=38896:Bear_14_...18092014.wav]

Be interested to read your thoughts on the two takes with a day between them.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 19 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #94

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil!

I have listened to both takes and they would still need just a bit more playing to be there in great shape - it's all about making things sound natural wink.gif Now, the only technical nature issues I spotted are the two similar licks occurring at 0:25 and 0:33 in the last take. You need to make those notes sound clean and in good timing - deal?

Otherwise, I have nothing to complain about wink.gif Let's rock after you come back, ok?

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 20 2014, 06:48 AM
Post #95

Thanks Cosmin,
I love that piece, I know the takes aren't brilliant but something happens when the second half starts, I seem to suddenly relax and my head starts nodding to the beat and even my foot starts tapping. I find it hard to consciously tap my foot but this piece makes it happen.
I'll have a listen to the links you pointed out when I get to the destination.
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 20 2014, 03:16 PM
Post #96

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil! It's all about feeling something smile.gif It seems this piece has that effect on you, correct? wink.gif

Now, please focus on those two little licks I've told you about in my previous message after coming back from the holiday, ok?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 20 2014, 05:48 AM) *
Thanks Cosmin,
I love that piece, I know the takes aren't brilliant but something happens when the second half starts, I seem to suddenly relax and my head starts nodding to the beat and even my foot starts tapping. I find it hard to consciously tap my foot but this piece makes it happen.
I'll have a listen to the links you pointed out when I get to the destination.
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 28 2014, 08:52 PM
Post #97

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 18 2014, 09:19 PM) *
Here's tonight's take. Managed to slot this in in between packing for my holiday, after a morning at work tomorrow I'm of to the airport hotel, that's where the party starts cool.gif then flying out on Saturday morning and returning Sunday 28th afternoon cool.gif so you will get a bit of peace for a week.

Cheers buddy.

[attachment=38896:Bear_14_...18092014.wav]

Be interested to read your thoughts on the two takes with a day between them.

Cheers buddy.

Back onto it tomorrow Cosmin. Yeah, those two phrases are a little tricky rolling from the high E to B string so quickly. I'll get there, got to try and get motivated for those chords too, and Let It Be rolleyes.gif

Be in touch soon.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 29 2014, 04:05 PM
Post #98

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil!!

Welcome back! How was your vacation, man? I myself am in an airport in Frankfurt,Germany right now as I went to visit my girlfriend in Aberdeen, Scotland. God bless the Internet for letting me work whenever, wherever biggrin.gif So, as before, take things slowly and let's see some intermediary takes, so that we can discuss on the development of the playing as it occurs, ok?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 28 2014, 07:52 PM) *
Back onto it tomorrow Cosmin. Yeah, those two phrases are a little tricky rolling from the high E to B string so quickly. I'll get there, got to try and get motivated for those chords too, and Let It Be rolleyes.gif

Be in touch soon.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 29 2014, 09:18 PM
Post #99

WOW blink.gif Does your girlfriend live in Aberdeen??? Or is she just there for a while? That's long distance lovin if she lives there mate smile.gif

Ok take 666

[attachment=39041:Bear_14_...29092014.wav]

Tomorrow will be spent getting those chords down and starting again with Let It Be, I've forgotten what bits I worked out rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 30 2014, 01:41 PM
Post #100

Instructor
Group Icon

Well, yeah, distance it is smile.gif But, when you know what you want, it's nothing actually wink.gif

Coming back to the recording - I can already say - good work so far - I'd give it just a bit more time to work on the vibrato, as it's a bit too weak still. Please try to emphasize it more in the playing and I think we're good for the REC zone.

Remember - use the wrist and try to mimic Bear's vibrato as much as possible - okai? Wide, in pitch and rounded, are the key words here smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th July 2017 - 09:42 PM