2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guitar Ocd & Bad Habits, What holds us back ?
SirJamsalot
post Sep 17 2014, 05:41 PM
Post #21

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.312

QUOTE (klasaine @ Aug 18 2014, 09:58 PM) *
The key word here is FOCUS.
Don't be 'all over the place' i.e., oh lets do some tapping, now finger picking, how about that classical etude I was working on and I really need to learn that Ritchie Blackmore 'Highway Star' solo but instead I think I'll work on that cool jazz chord thing I saw a guy doing on youtube - where was that anyway? Oh but wait, here's a really funny cat video ... etc.

I'd like to bring out what I believe is an established fact, that if you practice one thing for 10 minutes, then do something completely different for a minute, then go to back to what you were practicing for another 10 minutes, your retention and speed of learning increases by a formidable % - I'm sure thats not what you mean by all over the place, but just to prevent people from coming away with a wrong impression smile.gif Now, if you just move on completely to something different without revisting it in the same practice session, then absolutely, you are all over the place to your detriment!

Cheeeeeeeers!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 18 2014, 08:37 AM
Post #22

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

I used to do this a lot, because of my obsession with learning everything, but in time I understood that focusing on less, will get you a lot more. For instance, when I am practicing fencing, I focus on maximum 2 techniques during 1h30 minutes of sparing. Why not apply this with guitar playing as well? There are tons of details on which you need to focus:

- coordination
- timing
- speed
- form
- harmonizing with the opponent
- strike strength
- control
- cutting angle

..and I can come up with more smile.gif Sometimes, if you imagine that what you learn will keep you alive in a situation, trust me, you will definitely learn that thing as thorough as possible. Apply the same mentality with guitar playing in a focused manner and you will master things in a shorter period of time for certain.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Sep 18 2014, 02:57 PM
Post #23

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Yes, when I said 'change up all the time' I was referring to not really learning anything and/or not getting better at all the different things you're not focusing on.

It's great to vary your practice but you need to accomplish something. You gotta complete a task. You don't need to perfect whatever it is you're working on at that moment but you do need to improve.

*Personally for me ... I'm a big single focus guy. When I need to learn or work on something - I work on it and really only it until it's either a lot better or absolutely nailed. That 10 minute/1 minute thing def does not work for me. I don't want to stop after 10 minutes. And in fact I get pissed off if I'm interrupted that early on in a task. Everybody's wired a little differently. YMMV.
Just as an example, for the last three days I've been working on a chord solo arrangement of the song 'My Favorite Things' https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=53030 The first day I primarily worked out the arrangement, the second day I 'practiced' it and yesterday I recorded it after practicing it for an hour or so (I also ran through it in my head sans guitar a few times). All together, about 12 hours of work. I've learned that when I focus like this that I will be better at the end of the 3 or 4 days. And doing this makes me better at everything else I do on guitar. Plus the feeling of accomplishment is really satisfying (for a minute anyway).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 18 2014, 03:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Sep 19 2014, 03:10 PM
Post #24

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

I totally agree with you, Ken - but this is a mentality that you have gained through experience and understanding how you function. Most people are unaware of these things unfortunately. I think that learning a song or coming up with a certain piece over a given harmony, or reorchestrating a certain song, requires a particular procedure, which we all tend to approach differently. Most real pros search for a 'best practice' each time in respect to the given context. But this is happening either when you have a job to do, or when you are passionate and had working enough to stick to achieving the goal smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 04:02 PM