Kmc Metal - Noctural Vision Cover
Deleted
Aug 19 2014, 09:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here's my version of Noctural Vision. Some mistakes here and there and some tuning issue after using the whammy bar. Of course you will not find the crazy alternate and sweep runs by Kris and Marcus at the end of the song, I improvised the last piece biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Deleted: Aug 19 2014, 09:58 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 20 2014, 07:01 AM
Learning Tone Master

It was really a pleasure to listen your take!! smile.gif Great playing and awesome tone!!! Can you tell me please what you used to achieve this tone? smile.gif It match very well with this lesson and I also try to find something similar.
BTW this is one of my favorite lesson from GMC and it's in my "to do" list smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 20 2014, 08:04 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! Congrats on the playing and your tone!

I could feel the de-tuning of the axe, but if you come to ask me, that's the only issue you had going in the take smile.gif Your phrasing is smooth and you have good articulation skills, timing and tone. Maybe it would be an idea to isolate the final phrases (those which you left out because of the technical factor) and work together on getting them up to speed smile.gif What do you think?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 20 2014, 12:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
I listened to this as I was about to fall asleep yesterday. Just listened again now, and I must say that you've done a brilliant job at covering this!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Deleted
Aug 20 2014, 03:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Aug 20 2014, 08:01 AM) *
It was really a pleasure to listen your take!! smile.gif Great playing and awesome tone!!! Can you tell me please what you used to achieve this tone? smile.gif It match very well with this lesson and I also try to find something similar.
BTW this is one of my favorite lesson from GMC and it's in my "to do" list smile.gif

Thanks. I uploaded the preset I used to record the take. It's for Guitar Rig 5.
Attached File  Noctural_Vision.zip ( 4.34K ) Number of downloads: 115

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 20 2014, 09:04 AM) *
Hey mate! Congrats on the playing and your tone!

I could feel the de-tuning of the axe, but if you come to ask me, that's the only issue you had going in the take smile.gif Your phrasing is smooth and you have good articulation skills, timing and tone. Maybe it would be an idea to isolate the final phrases (those which you left out because of the technical factor) and work together on getting them up to speed smile.gif What do you think?

Thanks for the kindly words Cosmin!
I would love to be able to do those fast runs, but I can't still even manage to play lvl 5 lessons on this site, it would be impossible for me to reach that insane speed laugh.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 20 2014, 01:49 PM) *
I listened to this as I was about to fall asleep yesterday. Just listened again now, and I must say that you've done a brilliant job at covering this!

Thanks my friend!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Aug 21 2014, 06:36 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Deleted @ Aug 20 2014, 02:57 PM) *
Thanks. I uploaded the preset I used to record the take. It's for Guitar Rig 5.
Attached File  Noctural_Vision.zip ( 4.34K ) Number of downloads: 115

Thank you so much!!! smile.gif I use Guitar Rig 5, so it will not be a problem. I hardly wait to arrive at home from my office and try your preset wink.gif
Thanks again and I really appreciate smile.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Aug 21 2014, 06:36 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 21 2014, 07:19 AM
Instructor
Mate, it's not about the speed... yet wink.gif I was thinking about understanding and tackling those parts at a slow speed, so that you may use them as exercises for building up your chops smile.gif Don't get scared - it's only a matter of managing to reduce speed and maintaining balance and articulation and then, keeping a relaxed spirit while gradually increasing speed, in the appropriate time. If you try these, it doesn't mean you will have to get them up to speed in 2 days. it may take a month, two.. maybe more, but at the end, you will be 10 steps above yourself smile.gif I think it's worth it! What do you say? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 21 2014, 10:39 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Aug 21 2014, 07:36 AM) *
Thank you so much!!! smile.gif I use Guitar Rig 5, so it will not be a problem. I hardly wait to arrive at home from my office and try your preset wink.gif
Thanks again and I really appreciate smile.gif

Preset sounds great for me, Monica, so you can look forward to it! smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 21 2014, 12:38 PM
GMC Founder
You played this one with lots of emotion - I got the same shiver from your introductory playing as from Marcus'. This is what really matters.

The biggest "mistake" was the guitar going out of tune - as you know this is very unforgiving. If it hadn't been for that, this piece would have been pure musical enjoyment. A quick tip is to apply the carbon of a carbon pencil in the nut slut of the string(s) that are giving you problems. Sometimes this can completely solve the problem, other times a pro setup is needed.

You did some things different compared to our version, but so did we when playing it here:

If you can improvise around an idea and make it sound good, that is worth so much more than being able to reproduce something note-for-note.

Credits to you for covering this one - I bet you are going to notice your ability jump up a level after this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2014, 10:41 PM
Instructor
That's a very good rendition to this amazing song composed by these two great guitarists! Even with those tuning issues, your take is very enjoyable to listen. I like your tone and your feeling on this take, both aspects are very nice to hear and if you wouldn't have that tuning issue, this take could have been epic. You need to solve that tremolo issue. Before you start a recording you have to use your tremolo in an aggressive way, tune your guitar and repeat the process at least 4 times, until you notice that the guitar stays in tune even after the use of tremolo. If the problems persists, you have to take your guitar to the luthier to check it.

Keep on rocking. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2014, 07:26 AM
Instructor
Heh, I remembered a very important aspect in respect to the time when you change strings - could you please describe all the steps which you take when changing strings? There's this important step in which you pull the strings upwards grabbing each one from the 12th fret and then upwards and sideways, in order to make sure that they are properly stretched out and they will not slip, thus de-tuning when you pull them with the tremolo. It might seem as insignificant, but each time I didn't take care to go through this, my axes felt a bit de-tuned after playing with a bit more aggression when bending or vibrating with the tremolo smile.gif

+Quote Post
Deleted
Aug 22 2014, 10:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Kris and Gabriel too! I really appreciate your feedback!

When I switch strings I always stretch them a lot, even using heavy tremolo. Doing some research it looks like PRS SE Custom 24 suffer of this problem, probably because of the nut. I decided not to use whammy bar for a while, and it stayed more or less in tune. But I love the sounds I can get using tremolo. Do you think is a good idea to let the liuther check it or replace the nut with a better one?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 22 2014, 11:01 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Deleted @ Aug 22 2014, 11:37 AM) *
Do you think is a good idea to let the liuther check it or replace the nut with a better one?

Even if you replace the nut, you will need a luthier to do the ever-so-important final adjustments. Usually it is enough to have a luthier tweak the current setup, but bare in mind that things can go wrong if you change string gauge later on.

Did you test the graphite pencil method I mentioned?

Many times there is not any problem with the nut slut, it could just be small dirt particle (in the nut slot of the problematic string) causing the tuning issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deleted
Aug 22 2014, 11:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
I wanted to try it, but the slot of the affected strings ( B and G ) is really too thin for a pencil to do the hack in the video.

EDIT: tried also putting some graphene there and stretching well the strings, but wide bends and the use of tremolo still de-tune the guitar.

This post has been edited by Deleted: Aug 22 2014, 12:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Aug 22 2014, 12:36 PM
Learning Roadie
I love it man, very nice job!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 22 2014, 01:07 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Deleted @ Aug 22 2014, 12:32 PM) *
I wanted to try it, but the slot of the affected strings ( B and G ) is really too thin for a pencil to do the hack in the video.

EDIT: tried also putting some graphene there and stretching well the strings, but wide bends and the use of tremolo still de-tune the guitar.

Ok, if you have done the following:

* cleaned the slot
* applied graphite (the graphite powder from a pencil should fit even the smallest slot)
* stretched the string heavily

...then I would say your best option is a luthier.

Congrats again on a killer take! =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 22 2014, 08:25 PM
GMC:er
Great job mate!!!
As for your tuning problems:-
Use a sharp knife to scrape some of the graphite from the pencil first onto some paper, then put a crease in the edge of the paper and you should be able to get the graphite into the slots!
It may also be worth just tightening the screws that hold the Tremolo Claw (in the back of the body), just by a half turn at a timeIf the problem persists after adding tha Graphite and maybe a full turn of those screws then I'd suggest taking it to you local Tech/Luthier for a set-up! Hope this helps!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 23 2014, 07:04 AM
Instructor
As the guys mentioned, the luthier, even if it looks like the last solution, should be the first one smile.gif

I mentioned in a thread yesterday, about my experience with a new luthier in town. He practically made my baritone a different guitar - it feels MUCH better now. If you want to read a bit about the setup details, here's the thread: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=694547

In the mean time, if you have already tried the solutions that the guys suggested, find the best recommended luthier in your area and pay him a visit wink.gif

+Quote Post
Deleted
Aug 23 2014, 10:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
I tried also filling the slots with graphite. Now it's a little better, the tremolo stays better in tune, but wide bends still detune the guitar.
I think it's a good idea to let my liuther check the guitar in each case.

Thanks for the tips! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 24 2014, 11:04 AM
Instructor
Great to hear it's better, tho let us know what the outcome is after seeing the luthier.

I think people should trust a luthier a bit more and make a good habit out of taking their axes for a check once a year at least. After a lot of playing and transporting, they deserve that much, plus, your playing will benefit a lot from having a well set instrument - just a few thoughts smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:25 AM