Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kemper Profiler Amp (kpa) - Impressions
klasaine
post Sep 27 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #21

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

I understand the thinking but other than for recording DI (and profiling my own rigs), I wouldn't get a Kemper to have exactly somebody else's amp/sound. Especially live.
I would go for the general sound of whatever amp ... and then tweak. In the live situations that I play in, I rarely ever have my amps set the same way twice (and I know these amps). The room, the material, the players and whatever guitar/fx I choose are too much of a variable.

The Kemper site says that you can de-couple the 'cab sound' from the head or even a chassis in a combo. I see a cabinet button right on the front of the rig. If I do get one and my cabs don't work out then I'll start looking into something powered like the Atomic.

We'll see. It's on the long list. My kids getting his tonsils taken out on Monday. I'll have a little 'co-pay' to deal with on that so no amps or guitars for me for a while.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 27 2014, 09:41 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Nov 28 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #22

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

To follow up, I have experimented more with Marshall profiles. I am looking for that super fat, neck pickup tone:

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 27 2014, 09:41 PM) *
The Kemper site says that you can de-couple the 'cab sound' from the head or even a chassis in a combo. I see a cabinet button right on the front of the rig. If I do get one and my cabs don't work out then I'll start looking into something powered like the Atomic.

The de-coupling is about to happen for real, beta testing has started (thread)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Nov 28 2014, 11:29 PM
Post #23

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

I read news recently that Kemper now official supports bass amps?
Is that true? Did you get a chance to try it out with a bass? smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Nov 28 2014, 11:45 PM
Post #24

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 28 2014, 11:29 PM) *
I read news recently that Kemper now official supports bass amps?
Is that true? Did you get a chance to try it out with a bass? smile.gif

In my mind there is no doubt Kemper sounds amazing with bass guitar, and I have used it a bunch of times. The problems I see though:

* Not many free bass rigs available (though many seem to be happy with the fender bassman profiles originally intended for guitar). I have also had success with other guitar profiles.

* Physical controls on the kemper are not well adapted for fast tweaking of lower midrange, or other frequencies relevant for bass guitar. So you have to go into a menu and load one of the graphic equalisers.

* I truly suck at dialing good bass sound wink.gif So this is worth taking into consideration..!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 28 2014, 11:46 PM
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

Nice tone!! I think you are there smile.gif But there is always room for tweaking no matter what, which is the blessing/curse of digital gear smile.gif I love it but it can drive some folks nuts!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 28 2014, 05:04 PM) *
To follow up, I have experimented more with Marshall profiles. I am looking for that super fat, neck pickup tone:

The de-coupling is about to happen for real, beta testing has started (thread)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Nov 28 2014, 11:48 PM
Post #26

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 28 2014, 11:46 PM) *
Nice tone!! I think you are there smile.gif But there is always room for tweaking no matter what, which is the blessing/curse of digital gear smile.gif I love it but it can drive some folks nuts!

Yeah, in retrospect I think this sound was a bit harsh since I used it for playing a capella - I could have given myself the luxury of a super warm tone without much treble at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Nov 30 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #27

Group Icon

That would work too smile.gif Personally I like all the detail that the crisp tone brought our in pick articulation, but having a soft warm tone to contrast would be good too smile.gif Do you have a MIDI pedal board so you can switch tones on the fly?

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 28 2014, 06:48 PM) *
Yeah, in retrospect I think this sound was a bit harsh since I used it for playing a capella - I could have given myself the luxury of a super warm tone without much treble at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Nov 30 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #28

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 30 2014, 08:02 PM) *
Do you have a MIDI pedal board so you can switch tones on the fly?

Just a simple up and down midi switch (boss fs 6) - it's enough for me since there are lots of available slots for user presets in the "performance" mode.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Dec 5 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #29

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

In this video I use one of my favorite [Vox AC30] profiles on the kemper - I like it a lot as it's touch sensitive and breaks up lightly when you pick harder! Finally I am starting to explore that shimmery clean type of sound, which strats are known for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 5 2014, 11:01 PM
Post #30

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 12.988

I really got to save up for one of these bad boys. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Dec 23 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #31

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Update - here is my first serious attempt at a blues sound. I feel I managed to dial in a inspirational sound with a crunchy kind of breakup.

It is based on the same (free) profile =A-MS67Darkmatter2 as my goto sound for 'bouncy' shred stuff (example). This is 1967 marshall amp with a TC electronic darkmatter pedal (seriously thinking about buying the later btw).

With the volume knob I can go from blues to shred without any treble problems.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post May 12 2015, 12:02 PM
Post #32

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Bouncing this thread because I have finally made some progress with my metal mixing, and part of it is thanks to the Kemper.

(guitars kick in at 00:10)

I also used the Kemper for bass, and oddly enough with the exact same profile for both guitar and bass with minimum tweaking (I just lowered the gain for bass). I think part of my improvement goes down to better understanding the correlation between bass/guitar in the mix.

So the profile used for both guitar and bass is Sinimix' "TheBeast sm57_TS_1", free on the Rig Exchange. The real amp profiled is Laboga's "The Beast".

What do you think about this kind of metal sound?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post May 12 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #33

Group Icon

Good tones all around!! I do like a bit more presence on muted chunky bits though just to give it more of a synthetic/metallic/grinding sound but that's not everyone's cup of tea smile.gif

I recently saw that Bog Wagener (legendary producer with killer gear) is profiling his entire collection of rigs and selling the kemper profiles! Yet more reasons making me want one.

Another great indie metal producer (LASSE LAMMERT who produced Atlanta Metal act HALCYON WAY) is giving away his KEMPER PROFILES! Here is a demo of this rig pack from our own MIGUEL BATALHA!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 12 2015, 07:02 AM) *
Bouncing this thread because I have finally made some progress with my metal mixing, and part of it is thanks to the Kemper.

(guitars kick in at 00:10)

I also used the Kemper for bass, and oddly enough with the exact same profile for both guitar and bass with minimum tweaking (I just lowered the gain for bass). I think part of my improvement goes down to better understanding the correlation between bass/guitar in the mix.

So the profile used for both guitar and bass is Sinimix' "TheBeast sm57_TS_1", free on the Rig Exchange. The real amp profiled is Laboga's "The Beast".

What do you think about this kind of metal sound?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2017 - 05:37 AM