> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Aris's Thread, for Gab's Army
Aris
May 25 2015, 11:25 AM
GMC:er
Hi Gabriel,

How are you doing? Any good news for Cirse?

I felt like sharing some thought in the process....
It's definitely one step closer that I know what I should be doing.

I guess I have to be very patient for results though, especially in my case that I can't make time to play for 4 hours straight regularly.
To give you a clue of my progress so far... right now it looks like I'm banging my head in a concrete wall, hoping that with time it will worn out and someday will fall tongue.gif

I 'm still trying different buttons for the moment so I don't have something useful to send you.

I think you get the picture smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Aris: May 25 2015, 11:27 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2015, 03:09 PM
Instructor
Hi aris, thanks for the update! Things with Cirse are going great! We are finishing our new EP that will be released in July 2nd. Then we will have many gigs. smile.gif

I think that I can get what you mean about your practice, and the question is, are you enjoying the process?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Aris
May 26 2015, 04:22 PM
That's great news! I wish you all the best and I m waiting to listen the new album. Will you be touring too?

About the process, I think for now my progress is so slow that I don't have much to enjoy only a few moments that I feel like I have done something better but this still comes and goes. I m sure that it will be much clearer if i give it some more time.
I also start playing when I have already started to feel sleepy. A couple of times I almost fell asleep by the end of the backing track. My eyes were shut by the end tongue.gif Maybe this is another reason that I cannot enjoy it so much.

I don't care at all though cause I will do what it takes to play properly.
At this point, I would certainly feel awesome if I manage to play a few seconds of nice fitting melody on purpose.

+Quote Post
Aris
May 27 2015, 10:49 AM
Hi again,

Last night, I played only for a while and noticed that this time I could find certain landing notes and melodies were created easier using the 3rds as landing notes, no matter how silly was the note sequence in between the landing notes. This got me very excited and felt promising. So I really enjoyed it.

My approach this time was based on following a certain order of the landing notes upon each chord change. I could see some feeling in the result.
I was only moving around in the same position so I always used the thirds in the two octaves of that position.
Unfortunately, my infant daughter needed my attention just when I was about to record a sample.

so I ll try again tonight.

This post has been edited by Aris: May 27 2015, 11:37 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2015, 02:47 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris! It's interesting to read this two posts, but mostly the second one in which you sound motivated and happy because of the results achieved. The results are always more difficult to note when we are working on creativity tasks, but they magically appear when our mind does that required "click" that makes us connect with our creation side. Be patient, and try to find a moment when you can be relaxed and without distractions, the magic will appear.

Keep on the good job! I'll wait for your samples. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
May 28 2015, 01:56 PM
Hi Gabriel,

I managed to play a lot more last night. I could feel some melodies in my playing although timing and wrong notes pressed are present at many occasions. Listening to my recording it is also noticeable that I m still searching my way around the scale although it feels a bit more familiar now and I have started to visualize the arpeggios too.

Last night, I looped only the verse and I was moving around the same scale position with emphasis on the 3rds used as landing notes. Occasionally I have used the 1st and 5th as landing notes just to spice it up a bit more. I tried also to use some slides and bends to reach the landing notes.

I didn't pay too much attention in the call/response method since I was too busy trying to target the landing notes and the arpeggios within the scale. I think this should be one of the next steps.For the same reason I guess I did not use any of the licks noted in my book of licks.

Here you can listen to a few samples:
https://soundcloud.com/aris-33/may27_1_impr...g-notes/s-FyR9f
https://soundcloud.com/aris-33/may27_2-gmaj...on-3rds/s-0lISP
https://soundcloud.com/aris-33/may27_3-gmaj...on-3rds/s-Ivdzc

This post has been edited by Aris: May 28 2015, 02:26 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 28 2015, 03:49 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris! Great stuff!

I checked some moments of your improvisations and I can get what you explained. I can hear you exploring the scale and landing on chord notes most of the times. You are now at a visualization moment, but also training your ears and connection between mind and guitar. It will take some time to be able to apply everything you now and all the improvisation + technique concepts that we've been talking about but if you keep working every day, and focus on 1 topic each day, your playing will keep evolving.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Jun 2 2015, 11:34 AM
Hi Gabriel,

I am sending some new samples on my improvisation and rhythm workouts.

https://soundcloud.com/aris-33/improvgmaj2c...s3rds-1/s-B0XY4
00:38 - 00:46. This part of the improvisation made me feel pretty awesome. The rest is more or less noodling around and nothing else seems to draw my attention.
At this part, I tried to incorporate a lick from the clash to transition to the next landing note on the adjacent scale position.
The result was nothing like the original lick but it fits unexpectedly nice. I hope there will be more to come but for this I may have to keep an eye for more existing nice licks to use them as an inspiration.

https://soundcloud.com/aris-33/rise-against...workout/s-c2izf
Sorry about the noise coming out of the amp simulator. After listening to the recording I realized I may have used a wrong kind of impulse response but was already to late for another take.
I have increased the speed from 60BPM to 70BPM but may be I need to slow it down again, since my left hand movement does not sound and feel that smooth yet during the octave chords (I can also hear unwanted strings often like the 6th and the 4th). I try to mute both though, the 6th with my middle finger and the 4th with my index. Will send a video next time too.

https://soundcloud.com/aris-33/sd-style-les...-210bpm/s-Xv4O1
I have increased the speed to 210 BPM and it feels ok - WOW! surely I play much faster than 160BPM that I started with smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif. Sorry about the opening though, it is very mistimed.
I don't play both lessons that often since I wanted to put some more time with the improvization workout, so there are some old issues appearing in both recordings but I guessed it may do some good to share them.

This post has been edited by Aris: Jun 2 2015, 12:20 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 2 2015, 02:34 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris! Good stuff here!

I can see you working hard and progressing and that's a great thing. Congrats! Let me give some specific feedback and ideas.

- Improvisation: You are on the right track with this one however, I would like to hear you trying to create shorter and nicer melodies focusing on thirds and using notes from the scale as passing notes in different parts of the neck. Mostly to get more familiar with the sound of each note and how it related with the backing track.

- Rage against: Yes! You have to practice this one at a slower tempo to be able to focus on details to make it sound tight and defined. It has no sense to practice at a tempo in which you can't play. The speed must be worked gradually.

- Social Distortion: This one is going really well! I would keep it on the diary routine to adjust some details regarding timing. For example the intro, the first part of the palm muted section, and also adjust a bit timing in the chorus. The solo sounds a bit hurried, and you need to adjust that lick that is not clear. Isolate the lick and practice it as a picking exercise.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Jun 3 2015, 01:06 PM
Thanks Gabriel,

I had a go using your advice on improvisation and used the 3rds up to the 15th fret. I tried to use as little notes as possible in my phrasing. I am still familiarizing with the arpeggio shapes in the various positions.

I have to work also on creating nicer melodies using only a few notes. I wonder what is best? Should I start by experimenting or start by using and changing other licks from the music I listen to? Up to now I mostly follow the first approach.

I spent too much time on improvisation so I ended up leaving the rhythm practice aside again. I know I should practice everything in a proportional manner but for the moment I feel that I am seriously lacking in improvisation skills and I feel the need to emphasize on it a bit more.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 3 2015, 03:15 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris, good stuff!

Your approach sounds good to me, everything that you are thinking and suggesting works so you are on the right track. About your question regarding creating your own melodies or variations, each of them has its advantages so go for the one that you prefer and it's even better if you can experiment with both. wink.gif

Finally, it would be good if you can at least dedicate 10 minutes to rhythm, just to keep you in shape.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Jun 10 2015, 02:52 PM
Hi Gabriel,

How are you doing?

I think I m starting to feel more loose improvising on the major pentatonic scale and arpeggios and felt there were nice moments in my soloing. I think I was carried away a little and started to play faster than I probably should. It was good fun though!

I didn't have the time to export my takes in the morning but I will have something even better I hope over the next couple of days.

Bye for now

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2015, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Great news Aris! I'm glad to read this and even more of knowing that you are enjoying your practice sessions!
Keep going! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Jun 11 2015, 04:01 PM
Hi Gabriel,

Here is a sample, it should be a little smoother compared to previous takes. It still gets boring though, maybe I need to make up some themes that could be repeated regularly during the take. I 'm also planning to get some lick ideas from music around or look specifically for licks online.
Listening to my take, perhaps I shouldn't always strum at the first beat of the bar.

https://soundcloud.com/aris-33/gmajor-penta...-june10/s-Dy6Wh

Maybe it's not worth to check after 02:55 since a lot of experimentation is going on.

This is my work and thoughts so far.I should be able to send something new soon.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Aris: Jun 11 2015, 04:01 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 12 2015, 03:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris! Good job exploring the scale! It's true that your phrasing is lacking direction but it's ok by now over this backing. I can notice that you are trying to create shorter phrases now which was the last thing I suggested.

I'd like to hear you playing over this new backing: Attached File  Backing_Beginner_Soloing_loop_C_Major.mp3 ( 8.56MB ) Number of downloads: 107

I looped the mayor section of this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginner-Soloing-1/

So you can also get ideas from Darius playing. The plan is the same one, start following the chords, and then use notes from the pentatonic scale so create phrases.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Jun 12 2015, 11:01 PM
Thanks a lot Gabriel,

I am starting with the new backing track and I will let you know.
I notice that the backing is not in major tonality so I am switching to minor.

This post has been edited by Aris: Jun 12 2015, 11:35 PM

+Quote Post
Aris
Jun 12 2015, 11:35 PM

This post has been edited by Aris: Jun 12 2015, 11:36 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2015, 06:45 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, the backing is in C major.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Aris
Jun 15 2015, 11:55 AM
Oh yes,

I only had a quick look to it and I missed the most important bit.
Probably because when I was checking the scales used in the solo of the lesson and "A Harmonic minor scale" drew my attention.
But surely, I have the option to play only major scale over the backing.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, in my case it was useful tongue.gif
Anyway, since I m already trying to learn some basic licks on major pentatonic scale it's good that only the key is changed so I could apply them.

Unfortunately, the weekend was even busier so I was not in shape to play since Friday.I hope I will be consistent throughout the week so it won't slow me down a lot.

Bye for now

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2015, 02:05 PM
Instructor
Hi Aris, thanks for the update! I hope that this is a productive week. Have a nice day!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:51 PM