Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trouble Creating A Solo
FretDancer69
post Jul 16 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Passive
Member No.: 2.062

EDIT: Never mind the title, i need some help with a little lick im trying to incorporate in my solo:

-------------------9---10---12---10--9-----------------------------
--------------10----------------------------12---10---9-----------
----------9--------------------------------------------------<10>--
------11---------------------------------------------------------------
--12----------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------

my problem here is the Artificial Harmonic after the Sweep. I cant seem to be able to change the position of my thumb while doing the little run before the Harmonic and thats why i cant do it. I tried doing the sweep with my thumb near the pick but i cant...idk im explaining correctly. Any suggestions?

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Jul 16 2007, 01:29 AM

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Jul 16 2007, 01:27 AM
Post #2

Instructor

Member No.: 1.055

A little advice on making solos:

don't think like this - this is what you are doing: "some alternate picking, some sweeps and a tapping pattern"

Play a backing track and SING a solo in your head and aloud! Imagine what would you play! Put the guitar aside! Just imagine it! Sing it - over over and over again!! You'll sure come to something! Even if the solo is 100% alternate picking - it will sound the best if it comes from your imagination rather than mathematics! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
post Jul 16 2007, 01:30 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 15 2007, 06:27 PM) *
A little advice on making solos:

don't think like this - this is what you are doing: "some alternate picking, some sweeps and a tapping pattern"

Play a backing track and SING a solo in your head and aloud! Imagine what would you play! Put the guitar aside! Just imagine it! Sing it - over over and over again!! You'll sure come to something! Even if the solo is 100% alternate picking - it will sound the best if it comes from your imagination rather than mathematics! smile.gif

i gues ur right pavel, but on the singing part, i ALWAYS do that when im not playing, i swear but when i wanan do it in the guitar i cant seem to fit the notes i "heard"... i edited my post, can you please read it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Jul 16 2007, 01:37 AM
Post #4

Instructor

QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 16 2007, 02:30 AM) *
i gues ur right pavel, but on the singing part, i ALWAYS do that when im not playing, i swear but when i wanan do it in the guitar i cant seem to fit the notes i "heard"... i edited my post, can you please read it.

While playing your right hand should never change the way you keep the thumb and the pick! If you are changing position of the thumb you are making a huge mistake! It should all be totally natural to play! That lick is good and i see you have been working on some of my sweeping lessons smile.gif And it's really easy to play - so your problem is not the difficulty of the lick but the way you keep the pick!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
post Jul 16 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 15 2007, 06:37 PM) *
While playing your right hand should never change the way you keep the thumb and the pick! If you are changing position of the thumb you are making a huge mistake! It should all be totally natural to play! That lick is good and i see you have been working on some of my sweeping lessons smile.gif And it's really easy to play - so your problem is not the difficulty of the lick but the way you keep the pick!

well..everytime i want to do a harmonic i always lower my tumb a little before hitting the string, but cant do it this time, and the reason is because..Its very hard to explain.. tongue.gif , lol jk, the reason is because when i do the sweep i angle the pick, making my thumb be placed higher in the pick....i think its a bad habit.. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
post Jul 16 2007, 01:44 AM
Post #6

Instructor

QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 16 2007, 02:43 AM) *
well..everytime i want to do a harmonic i always lower my tumb a little before hitting the string, but cant do it this time, and the reason is because..Its very hard to explain.. tongue.gif , lol jk, the reason is because when i do the sweep i angle the pick, making my thumb be placed higher in the pick....i think its a bad habit.. sad.gif

Yeah it's a bad habit! All angling and stuff should be done by wrist - not fingers!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 07:43 AM