> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chris S. Guitar Development Lab
Chris S.
post Dec 14 2014, 03:08 PM
Post #121

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 12.988

Thanks Cosmin!

Not bad for a days work - but still a long way to go!

What shall I focus on theory wise, now?

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 15 2014, 03:51 PM
Post #122

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Hey bro!

Well, I would go for some chord progressions - typical ones for each mode smile.gif Have you dealt with chord progressions before? Do you understand them?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 15 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #123

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 15 2014, 02:51 PM) *
Hey bro!

Well, I would go for some chord progressions - typical ones for each mode smile.gif Have you dealt with chord progressions before? Do you understand them?

I've created random chord progressions and tried to figure out what scale can be used over them but that is about it tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 16 2014, 11:40 AM
Post #124

Instructor
Group Icon

Well, I think that we can begin with reading the theoretical aspects written in here smile.gif Let me know what your questions are after going through the theory, ok? I'd be glad to discuss the ideas with you, as usual and then see to some tasks biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=49797

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 16 2014, 07:28 PM
Post #125

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 16 2014, 10:40 AM) *
Well, I think that we can begin with reading the theoretical aspects written in here smile.gif Let me know what your questions are after going through the theory, ok? I'd be glad to discuss the ideas with you, as usual and then see to some tasks biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=49797

Hey Cosmin!

The theory aspect of things is always my favorite!

So far I've gone through the first three types of progression:

1. I IV V
2. I vi IV V
3. I IV V Blues Progression

The first two are pretty easy, you just take the specified intervals of the scale - and the I IV V Blues just uses 7 chords. So if the intervals were C F G you would use C7 F7 G7.

I guess my biggest questions so far, since I haven't read ahead to the other three progressions, would be do these formulas only apply to a Major Scale/Mode?

Like if I had an A Minor Scale = A B C D E F G

would the I IV V still be A D E? I'm guessing not because if you form the chord scale for A Minor, I is A Minor, IV is D Minor and V is G Minor so it would like: i iv v instead of I IV V

Since they are minor instead of major does this change anything or would just be considered a i iv v minor progression (or something a long those lines)?

Thanks cool.gif

EDIT:

And this is where I am at with video 2 of the lesson:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/voice-video-2-take-1

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Dec 16 2014, 10:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 18 2014, 08:48 AM
Post #126

Hey Cosmin,

Do you think at the rate that I am going I'd be able to at least give some beginner lessons in like 2 or 3 years? I'm trying to find some ways to make some extra money and I was thinking of private lessons.

I've been doing a lot of setups, nut making and electronics work to one day be able to do some basic luthiery on the side as well.

I dunno though, only time will tell I guess?

Thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 18 2014, 10:16 AM
Post #127

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Chris!

Mate, you nailed the quirky bend! Congrats - it's a very hard one for everyone biggrin.gif I just want a bit more definition in the execution and a wider vibrato that comes in a little bit later then you employ it now. Also, the final bend needs to happen a bit quicker and watch out on the pitch - deal? biggrin.gif

Now, all you assumptions on the theoretical aspects are correct aside one single thing the v is an E minor biggrin.gif not a Gminor - let me know if it makes sense and as a task - please applythe formulas in 3 major scales and their minor relatives, of your choice! Deal?

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 16 2014, 06:28 PM) *
Hey Cosmin!

The theory aspect of things is always my favorite!

So far I've gone through the first three types of progression:

1. I IV V
2. I vi IV V
3. I IV V Blues Progression

The first two are pretty easy, you just take the specified intervals of the scale - and the I IV V Blues just uses 7 chords. So if the intervals were C F G you would use C7 F7 G7.

I guess my biggest questions so far, since I haven't read ahead to the other three progressions, would be do these formulas only apply to a Major Scale/Mode?

Like if I had an A Minor Scale = A B C D E F G

would the I IV V still be A D E? I'm guessing not because if you form the chord scale for A Minor, I is A Minor, IV is D Minor and V is G Minor so it would like: i iv v instead of I IV V

Since they are minor instead of major does this change anything or would just be considered a i iv v minor progression (or something a long those lines)?

Thanks cool.gif

EDIT:

And this is where I am at with video 2 of the lesson:

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/voice-video-2-take-1

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 18 2014, 07:48 AM) *
Hey Cosmin,

Do you think at the rate that I am going I'd be able to at least give some beginner lessons in like 2 or 3 years? I'm trying to find some ways to make some extra money and I was thinking of private lessons.

I've been doing a lot of setups, nut making and electronics work to one day be able to do some basic luthiery on the side as well.

I dunno though, only time will tell I guess?

Thanks!

Why not? smile.gif You will only go faster, from now on - with understanding things at least - you have a very coordinate mind and I like that - tell me man, do you have any mathematic based schooling? And about luthiery - well, if you have a calling for this, indeed, time and hands on practicing will be the ones to tell wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 18 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #128

I graduated second in my class in high school - math was my strongest subject. I was good at it but I didn't enjoy it, if that makes any sense?

That's why I haven't taken the college route yet - I don't want to go for something because I'm good at it, I want to go for something that I will enjoy doing for the rest of my life. I'm trying to find that middle ground of how I can do something relating to music but can also be used for other things as well - like recording or something.

For the lesson: I will work on the vibrato and bend and post an update!

And for the theory task: I wasn't sure how to determine a relative minor but after reading up on it - it's very simple!
The relative minor is the 6th degree of a Major Scale and the relative major is the 3rd scale degree of a Minor scale.

So:

C Major:

I IV V = C F G
I vi IV V = C Am F G
I IV V Blues = C7 F7 G7

Relative Minor = A Minor:

i iv v = Am Dm Em
i vi iv v = Am Fm Dm Em
i iv v Blues = Am7 Dm7 Em7 ??

G Major:

I IV V = G C D
I vi IV V = G Em C D
I IV V Blues = G7 C7 D7

Relative Minor = E Minor:

i iv v = Em Am Bm
i VI iv v = Em G Am Bm
i iv v Blues = Em7 Am7 Bm7

D Major:

I IV V = D G A
I vi IV V = D Bm G A
I IV V Blues = D7 G7 A7

Relative Minor = B Minor:

i iv v = Bm Em F#m
i VI iv v = Bm G Em F#m
i iv v Blues = Bm7 Em7 F#m7

Did I do these correct? So after doing these I'm guessing these formulas are set in stone correct?

Like the i iv v applied to a minor scale will always give you three minor chords or I vi IV V applied to a major scale will always give you a minor 6th?

I wasn't sure of this at the time so I figured each one individually.

EDIT:

I had some free time after practicing so I thought I would give this one a quick whirl - can you guess what lesson it is? tongue.gif biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/stortzmusic/guess-the-lesson

Quite a bit of mistakes but overall not too shabby for a days work I don't think

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Dec 19 2014, 03:31 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 19 2014, 06:06 PM
Post #129

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey matey!

All your assumptions are correct! These rules are set in stone wink.gif Tell me, have you ever worked with the circle of 5ths? This circle could easily tell you ANY progression in ANY key - just one of the many things it can tell you - when you will elarn how to use it right. I think it would be about time to talk about it - but first tell me what you know about it and I will share what I know biggrin.gif

I can't recognize the lesson - which one is it, mate?

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Dec 19 2014, 06:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 19 2014, 11:40 PM
Post #130

Hey doOd!

It's the Double Stop Melody on the home page by Mr. Chris Shofner smile.gif

Definitely out of my comfort zone - despite the mistakes I made I think I picked up on it pretty quick for only an hour or two.

And for the Circle of Fifths - I've seen this video on the Circle of Fourths:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ezzuTObED2o

I watched it before we started working together and it blew my mind - but now with a basic understanding of some things I think that revisiting it a second time will prove to make more sense this time around.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 20 2014, 09:52 AM
Post #131

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey buddy biggrin.gif

I think the video is very well done and to add to it, I will link you to a series of topics I wrote on the idea of using the circle in real situations smile.gif

Please read through them:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=615043
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=615683
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=617146
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=618347

..and let's see about some tasks, after that wink.gif Looking forward to your thoughts and questions, as usual biggrin.gif

About the recording - it is rigid indeed, but if you say you learnt it as quickly as you did, it's good for the stage. Please focus on timing, groove and form, in order to make it sound as natural as possible, if you shall decide you want to proceed with it until you make it sound as close to perfection as possible smile.gif

Let's make a deal together - finishing a lesson is of utmost importance - by that, I mean making that lesson sound as close to perfection as possible. Starting to work on 1000 lessons at once, will diminish your progress. I know it's tempting smile.gif Trust me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 21 2014, 04:35 AM
Post #132

Thanks Comsin!

I agree - like I said I had some extra time so I thought I'd give it a shot, I was mostly focused on the theory behind it more than the playing (always looking to add new ideas to the arsenal).

Definitely not my focus - before you were kind enough to start helping me I was guilty of trying to learn a bunch of lessons at once and it didn't work out well at all! tongue.gif

I shall delve into the material you have provided! I like the JRR Tolkien kind of vibe you gave it cool.gif

Once I get my feet wet I will post my thoughts and questions!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Dec 21 2014, 04:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 21 2014, 09:08 AM
Post #133

Instructor
Group Icon

Hehe! Please do mate! Well, thank you once again for your kind thoughts and you must know that I am a huge Tolkien fan tongue.gif I even read Silmarillion - one of his book depicting the history of Middle Earth from its very beginnings in the old english he used to write it laugh.gif It took me about 15-20 minutes to read a page, but hey! It was definitely worth it biggrin.gif

Looking forward to hearing your impressions and we'll take it form there! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 23 2014, 12:51 AM
Post #134

Yo ho, Captain!

So my Guitar Theory for Dummies book has a whopping page and half on the Circle of Fifths with no diagrams rolleyes.gif (So I didn't even bother).

I read your posts - and although I caught on to some of it, I was lost with other aspects.

So I took to the interwebz to find a video (I tend to learn better that way) and came across these:

&

And after reading your posts and watching these videos this is what I know, thus far, about the circle:

1.) I can draw the circle (gotta start somewhere tongue.gif )
2.) I can pick one of the roots from the circle and determine how many sharps, what they are, and write out the scale.
3.) The tritone of the selected note is directly across from that note.

So not really a whole lot. After I write down the scale and intervals I can then go from there to determine what the I IV V progression would be or whatever (not sure if you can determine this by just directly looking at the circle).

I'm sure I have missed some other key factors that I can derive from the circle?

Thanks! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 23 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #135

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey buddy smile.gif Point three - I don't think I get exactly what you mean by this smile.gif Can you please develop the idea?

Also, you can figure out ANY progression in ANY key, simply by looking at the circle and following these steps:

- decide the key
- notice where the steps of the key are (if we think of the C major scale - we have C D E F G A cool.gif
- decide on a progression formula - let's say ii V I - that being Dm Gmaj C maj
- notice where these notes are on the circle
- let's assume we want the ii V I in E major
- rotate the circle in your mind so that the I becomes E
- respect the same geometry that the notes had in the situation of the C major scale and you will discover the ii and V in the case of the E major scale

The conclusion is that this method works with ANY progrssion smile.gif let me know if you understood the technique, ok?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 25 2014, 04:34 AM
Post #136

Hey mate!

Just wanted to step away from the craziness for a moment and wish you a very Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday!

Hope all is going well!

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 26 2014, 01:21 PM
Post #137

Instructor
Group Icon

Back at you Chris!

I hope that you will enjoy this year's last days and refill your energy for the one who's waiting around the corner!

It's been a pleasure to work with you so far! Thank you for the kind thoughts!

Cosmin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 26 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #138

Likewise! I look forward to working with you in the new year biggrin.gif

And for the tritone part that I was talking about - the note that is directly across from it/on the opposite side of the circle is the tritone.

For example - where G is on the circle, on the opposite side is Db or C#

This became more apparent to me in the Xmas Collab when Darius pointed out I used the tritone over a G chord which made everything sound off.

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Dec 26 2014, 05:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Dec 27 2014, 09:20 AM
Post #139

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 26 2014, 04:43 PM) *
Likewise! I look forward to working with you in the new year biggrin.gif

And for the tritone part that I was talking about - the note that is directly across from it/on the opposite side of the circle is the tritone.

For example - where G is on the circle, on the opposite side is Db or C#

This became more apparent to me in the Xmas Collab when Darius pointed out I used the tritone over a G chord which made everything sound off.

Ah! Now I get it - I was so tired, I read triad instead of tritone and I was really wondering what you meant by that smile.gif

The raised 4th brings in the Lydian sound, but you should definitely deploy it over either a major chord that spans over a larger number of bars, or over a Lydian based chord progression. If I remember correctly, the first part in the 'The voice of your guitar' is based on a Lydian progression smile.gif Can you analyze it and tell me why? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
post Dec 31 2014, 06:18 AM
Post #140

Hey Cosmin!

So I've been mostly working on the xmas collab - I always enjoy a good challenge to my creativity!

And for the Lydian progression - hmm, I'm not sure?

This is what I have worked out so far:

A add 9 = A B C# D
B add 11 = B D F# E
G#Maj = G# C D#
E Maj = E G# B
C# MajAdd11 = C# F F# G#

So all of the notes are A B C C# D E F F# G# which is 9 notes, 2 more than a standard scale so I'm guessing some are just transitional notes or something? Although it's always a good possibility that I goofed somewhere a long the way tongue.gif

EDIT:

Happy New Cosmin! Hope this year is even better than the last laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jan 1 2015, 11:39 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th January 2017 - 06:13 AM