Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording An Amp Head Directly?, Is it possible?
Chris S.
post Oct 7 2014, 03:27 AM
Post #1

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 12.988

Hello,

I've run into a bit of a situation - I really dig the tube sound but I also the dig the convenience of a digital recording interface.

Right now I have two low wattage tube amps and a Line 6 UX1.

I like that I can plug my guitar right into the UX1 and record directly into my DAW but to me a lot of the tones sound a little too digital to me. I would love to get like a Mesa or 6505 or something along those lines but there is absolutely no way I would be able to play that in my house with upsetting my girlfriend or my neighbors.

Instead of plugging an amp head into a cab can you plug it into something and record it directly to a computer - that way I'd be able to use my studio headphones so I'm not disturbing anyone but I'm also getting that true tube tone I'm after; or is there a better way?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Oct 7 2014, 03:28 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
post Oct 7 2014, 04:31 AM
Post #2

GMC:er

Member No.: 18.269

Two Notes Torpedo Live.

It's a load box + cab simulator, so you can run a tube amp without it blowing up without a speaker load on it, and you can run Impulse Responses of any cab you could imagine.

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Oct 7 2014, 04:37 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 17.304

6 string beat me to it.

You'll need a 'load' box of some type. You can't plug the head/chassis of most tube amps directly into an interface. The power amp needs to see a what's referred to as a reactive or dummy load or you run the risk (almost surely) of blowing your output transformer.
*Unless the amp has a 'direct out' - ?

Something like this ... http://www.palmer-germany.com/mi/en/PGA-04...-Ohms-PGA04.htm
Or this ... http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul05/articles/sequis.htm (I use this one).
Or this ... http://www.ratvalveamps.com/dummy-load
Or what sixstringsamurai mentioned, the Two Notes Torpedo (which sounds really good).

Here's some reading for you ... https://www.google.com/search?q=dummy+load&...ad+for+tube+amp

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 7 2014, 04:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 13 2014, 04:07 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

Also, it may be that you just have not got the right plugin or the right preset smile.gif I'd say download the major suspects demos and give them a try. Then download Overloud TH2 and grab some of my presets and I'd be happy to help you work up a killer tone!

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Oct 6 2014, 10:27 PM) *
Hello,

I've run into a bit of a situation - I really dig the tube sound but I also the dig the convenience of a digital recording interface.

Right now I have two low wattage tube amps and a Line 6 UX1.

I like that I can plug my guitar right into the UX1 and record directly into my DAW but to me a lot of the tones sound a little too digital to me. I would love to get like a Mesa or 6505 or something along those lines but there is absolutely no way I would be able to play that in my house with upsetting my girlfriend or my neighbors.

Instead of plugging an amp head into a cab can you plug it into something and record it directly to a computer - that way I'd be able to use my studio headphones so I'm not disturbing anyone but I'm also getting that true tube tone I'm after; or is there a better way?

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 13 2014, 04:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Oct 13 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #5

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

That load box and cab simulator sounds powerful - I didn't know about those units.
Since you like the concept of plug and play, maybe the more suitable option would be to get a Kemper Profiling amp instead of a real amp head + load box and cab simulator. Kemper would probably be able to emulate your favorite amps really well + you get tons of amps and tones possibilities out if and it is very portable and you can easily record it.

I think high end units like Kemper and Axe Fx are always the best choice for bedroom playing/recording if one is after high quality guitar tones.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Oct 13 2014, 04:39 PM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

Some modern amp heads do now come with a Line Out recording facility.

For example, my JVM has an XLR output which means you can run it directly into an audio interface.

Older amps don't really have that but check out the features of most contemporary hi gain amps and they should have something like that these days.

That said, if you're going to spend most of your time recording and you're not worried about pushing out loud volume on stage or in your home, then it might be better to find some software that you like.

I've been hearing good things about Peavey Revalver in that it's supposed to be giving a lot of tube like feel that's missing in some other guitar software programs. Might be worth checking out ? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
post Oct 14 2014, 07:58 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17.265

I'm loving the tube tones coming from Amplitude 3.

I've got the demo version of TH2, but haven't found a tube tone yet that I just love - but this software sounds KILLER from these vids...

Especially the ENGL

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
post Oct 14 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 18.269

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 13 2014, 03:39 PM) *
Some modern amp heads do now come with a Line Out recording facility.

For example, my JVM has an XLR output which means you can run it directly into an audio interface.

It's important to be aware that a line/direct out is not necessarily for use INSTEAD of a real cab as Chris S was asking about. I.e. don't plug your amp with line out into your computer without a cab connected. It'll blow up.

I do like that a lot of amps these days are incorporating load boxes for silent recording though. I have a Laney Ironheart Studio and Mesa Mk V 25 at my place right now, both are high gain tube amps and both feature silent recording using load box/cab simulation technology. It's an exciting time to be a guitar player.

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 15 2014, 07:29 AM
Post #9

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 13 2014, 10:36 AM) *
That load box and cab simulator sounds powerful - I didn't know about those units.
Since you like the concept of plug and play, maybe the more suitable option would be to get a Kemper Profiling amp instead of a real amp head + load box and cab simulator. Kemper would probably be able to emulate your favorite amps really well + you get tons of amps and tones possibilities out if and it is very portable and you can easily record it.

I think high end units like Kemper and Axe Fx are always the best choice for bedroom playing/recording if one is after high quality guitar tones.

I've heard the Axe fx onstage Saturday - Tesseract and Animals as Leaders - MINDBLOWING sound and performance. We gave things a lot of thought in Days of Confusion and we are seriously thinking of getting 3 Kempers for ourselves - each player would have one. The issue with these units is that they are FAR too expensive for bedroom playing in my opinion. I mean, there are far cheaper solutions such as the ones Todd and Spock speak about, as an Axe or a Kemper are close to 2000 EUR each...

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Oct 15 2014, 07:30 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 16 2014, 06:05 AM
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

The CUSTOM SHOP is very cool wink.gif I've got AMPLITUDE METAL and its' very spiff. You can use the CUSTOM SHOP to download only the amps you like!! So I say go for it!!!

QUOTE (Spock @ Oct 14 2014, 02:58 PM) *
I'm loving the tube tones coming from Amplitude 3.

I've got the demo version of TH2, but haven't found a tube tone yet that I just love - but this software sounds KILLER from these vids...

Very true smile.gif KEMPERS are great!! But really pricey. The good news is that you can get a nice plugin for cheap!! smile.gif AMPLITUDE, OVERLOUD, take your pick!!!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 15 2014, 02:29 AM) *
I've heard the Axe fx onstage Saturday - Tesseract and Animals as Leaders - MINDBLOWING sound and performance. We gave things a lot of thought in Days of Confusion and we are seriously thinking of getting 3 Kempers for ourselves - each player would have one. The issue with these units is that they are FAR too expensive for bedroom playing in my opinion. I mean, there are far cheaper solutions such as the ones Todd and Spock speak about, as an Axe or a Kemper are close to 2000 EUR each...

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 16 2014, 06:05 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 16 2014, 07:55 AM
Post #11

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 16 2014, 05:05 AM) *
The CUSTOM SHOP is very cool wink.gif I've got AMPLITUDE METAL and its' very spiff. You can use the CUSTOM SHOP to download only the amps you like!! So I say go for it!!!
Very true smile.gif KEMPERS are great!! But really pricey. The good news is that you can get a nice plugin for cheap!! smile.gif AMPLITUDE, OVERLOUD, take your pick!!!

I have never laid my hands on a Kemper before, but we have a friend who owns one. My bandmates went to see it while I was in Scotland last month and they were very happy with the results they got. Now 2133 $ is a lot of money and out of what we discussed yesterday, they will try to get one each and I will stay on my tube amp for a while longer, as my guitar duties are purely rhythmic and less complex in the live gigs, as I also have to sing - by the way, this Sunday evening, we're performing alongside a well known metalcore band from Greece, called Above us the waves and it's going to be my very first performance as a vocalist and guitarplayer smile.gif I'm really looking forward to this moment, as I worked almost two years to make this possible! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Oct 16 2014, 08:51 AM
Post #12

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 16 2014, 07:55 AM) *
I will stay on my tube amp for a while longer, as my guitar duties are purely rhythmic and less complex in the live gigs, as I also have to sing - by the way, this Sunday evening, we're performing alongside a well known metalcore band from Greece, called Above us the waves and it's going to be my very first performance as a vocalist and guitarplayer smile.gif I'm really looking forward to this moment, as I worked almost two years to make this possible! biggrin.gif

Woooh, good luck man ! You'll nail it biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
post Oct 16 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #13

Bass & Beginner Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3.410

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 16 2014, 08:55 AM) *
they will try to get one each and I will stay on my tube amp for a while longer, as my guitar duties are purely rhythmic and less complex in the live gigs, as I also have to sing - by the way,

Hehe who knew that over time the "shortest straw" will become playing a tube amp and not a digital unit smile.gif
Those Kempers are awesome really.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
My solo and band songs : Keep Going On, Night Vibe, Kad Te Vidim, Susret, Plava Silueta

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 17 2014, 08:12 AM
Post #14

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Oct 16 2014, 08:55 PM) *
Hehe who knew that over time the "shortest straw" will become playing a tube amp and not a digital unit smile.gif
Those Kempers are awesome really.

Amazing - right? biggrin.gif Well, you probably know very well by now how much I like keeping it simple, so I even reduced my pedalboard's components: I only use the Reverb, Delay, Noise gate, tuner and phaser. No more booster with Days of Confusion, since I only play overdrive mainly, with a medium amount of gain and some clean with a mild reverb and delay for some themes or chordal play.

It's going cool so far, but there's still a lot of work to do, as I intend to slowly bring up more and more guitar parts while singing, but at this point, I reduced things to a minimum possible. I usually play all my normal guitar parts while not singing and all the choruses and some themes while singing, with a sole exception - the darn second half of the Bloodstream chorus - I simply can't yet get my brain to nail that and sing in the same time laugh.gif - it's the part that first appears from 01:16 - 01:32 in the first chorus.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 04:14 AM