> Help With This Please :), Learn to sing and play guitar
Osedmen
post Oct 9 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #1

GMC:er

Group: Members
Member No.: 15.427

Hi Guys!

i want to share my first song playing and singing at the same time.

Sorry for the mistakes and de audio Quality, actually recorded this when i was hurry.

Please give me opinions to improve and solutions.

Thanks.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  My_recording__101.wav ( 7.9MB ) Number of downloads: 48

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 9 2014, 08:44 PM
Post #2

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

Hey Oscar,

I listened to your take on the RHCP song and I think that it sounds nice! You are already an incredibly gifted acoustic player and you can come up with amazing arrangement. Now, it is very good that you have started simple and focused on becoming able to play and sing.

The one thing that I would like youto focus on, would be the pronounciation and the speech level singing. Try to bite the words when you sing - that comes with becoming conscious of the form of each word. That's why you need to recite them first before singing them and make sure that you can sing as loud as you speak wink.gif That's one thing that we all bump into when we begin biggrin.gif

Now, try to print out the lyrics and:

- recite them verse by verse - make sure you speak out every wird as articulated as possible
- notice the places where you can breathe - write them down, by marking them on the text
- sing the text and take care of breathing as well
- try to sing and play having these aspects down

It's a long journey, but I am sure you'll enjoy every minute!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Oct 9 2014, 10:34 PM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1.289

Hi mate! I'm happy to see you experimenting with your singing and playing! I remember an old thread where you asked for some lessons to master it. This needs practice as everything related with making music.

I'm not a singer teacher but the first thing that I can say from your singing is that you have to feel more secure and sing louder, let the voice get out to make it sounds full and powerful. I think that you are singing very soft and that makes that the color of your voice is not notable, it's like whispering. I can notice that your voice is warm, and that you have ear to play on pitch. There are obviously some tuning issues but that are mostly related to lack of practice and experience.

If you let your voice get out louder, the tuning problems will be empathized at first, but then, with practice, you will be able to fix them. It would be like a first step.

So, in other words, keep on practicing, and follow Cosmin's suggestions because he has much more experience with this.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 9 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #4

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

First off well done even attempting to sing!!! I'm a TERRIBLE singer. Cosmin has the most experience and probably talent on this of any of us so he's probably got the best advice. I even tried to take singing lessons long ago but was so bad that I didn't get very far and focused on guitar. However....

1.)Breathing is very important as you know, the breathe is the string so to speak. Strike carefully but forcefully.

2.)Run your scales with your voice just like your guitar in vocal practice using another instrument to guide you then alone.

3.)Listen to your vocal takes right after you make them with and without music (picked this up from a producer friend) as you often think you sound differen than you actually do.

I know this is generic advice but we are outside of my area on this.

Todd

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
post Oct 9 2014, 11:53 PM
Post #5

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.312

QUOTE (Osedmen @ Oct 9 2014, 08:11 AM) *
Hi Guys!

i want to share my first song playing and singing at the same time.

Sorry for the mistakes and de audio Quality, actually recorded this when i was hurry.

Please give me opinions to improve and solutions.

Thanks.

Nice job! Playing and singing isn't an easy thing to do - and learning to do so helps you separate your thoughts from your hands in a good way. The only recommendation I would make on your singing is that you're holding back ~ like you're trying not to disturb your family or something. You can't sing that way on a loud stage, so I would recommend having a mic in your face, and use your power voice instead of falsetto - RHCP does sing lazily like that, which doesn't focus on your strong voice as much, bu if you listen to the album, he's engaging his diaphragm, and using his range, not head or falsetto.

If you can, pick up the DVD "The Zen of Screaming" (there's a 1 and 2). don't let the screaming part of the title fool you. Very helpful in discovering your range, and how to use your voice. People learning to sing aren't used to paying attention to the inner workings of their vocal chords and chest. She describes it and gives you lessons to practice that really help you start to feel what is going on in your vocal chords so you can start to engage them and know how you're using them.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Zen-Screaming-Vo...f+screaming+dvd

Cheers!
Chris

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 9 2014, 03:49 PM) *
Nice job! Playing and singing isn't an easy thing to do - and learning to do so helps you separate your thoughts from your hands in a good way. The only recommendation I would make on your singing is that you're holding back ~ like you're trying not to disturb your family or something. You can't sing that way on a loud stage, so I would recommend having a mic in your face, and use your power voice instead of falsetto - RHCP does sing lazily like that, which doesn't focus on your strong voice as much, bu if you listen to the album, he's engaging his diaphragm, and using his range, not head or falsetto.

If you can, pick up the DVD "The Zen of Screaming" (there's a 1 and 2). don't let the screaming part of the title fool you. Very helpful in discovering your range, and how to use your voice. People learning to sing aren't used to paying attention to the inner workings of their vocal chords and chest. She describes it and gives you lessons to practice that really help you start to feel what is going on in your vocal chords so you can start to engage them and know how you're using them.

Cheers!
Chris

On a side note - a crazy thing happens once you learn to play and sing a song - I've found that when performing, I don't have to think ahead of the next block of lyrics - it either comes or it doesn't, on its own during the progression of the song. It's almost like motor memory kicks in. It's a pretty strange experience once you get to that point. I couldn't tell you the lyrics to Summer of 69 without thinking about it, but if strummed the intro, I'd be able to sing it without thinking about it.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 10 2014, 08:04 AM
Post #6

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 9 2014, 10:53 PM) *

Cheers!
Chris

On a side note - a crazy thing happens once you learn to play and sing a song - I've found that when performing, I don't have to think ahead of the next block of lyrics - it either comes or it doesn't, on its own during the progression of the song. It's almost like motor memory kicks in. It's a pretty strange experience once you get to that point. I couldn't tell you the lyrics to Summer of 69 without thinking about it, but if strummed the intro, I'd be able to sing it without thinking about it.

Jams has pointed out a few VERY true and important things. I totally agree on the lyric automation thing, as it also happens to me on a regular basis biggrin.gif And imagine that I don't have to remember as many lyrics as he does laugh.gif

DEFINITELY check out The Zen of Screaming - the first DVD deals with learning how to sing properly, whilethe second one actually dives into extreme techniques, such as fry screaming.

Now the most important thing is for you to learn how to speak the words properly, using the lips tongue and teeth - give them the bite - as they say and also learn how to breathe. Note that the vocalist in RHCP is well known for his very articulated and aggressive pronounciation. If you want to study two other similar artists, check out Serj Tankian (System of a Down) and the ominous Mike Patton (Faith no more)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th March 2017 - 04:50 AM