Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greg Howe Clinics, For you folks in Europe
AK Rich
post Oct 11 2014, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Learning Guitar Hero

Group: Members
Member No.: 13.839

I am subbed to Greg Howe's channel,and I just received this notification that Greg Howe will be doing a series of clinics in Europe during the latter half of this month and the beginning of November.

Cheers!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lexman
post Oct 29 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #2

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 16.046

Hey thank you so much for sharing this!!
I've just returned from the guitar clinic with Greg Howe it was amazing!! Here are some pictures and 2 quick videos, unfortunately my camera's battery died on me so I couldn't film more... I wish I had recorded him playing Kick it all over from his Greg Howe album.. he absoluetly nailed it, I' had a blast hearing him play live. He was talking about various stuff I've recorded some of it, in the vids below you can hear him talk about his experience with Michael Jackson and his creation process for composing, and I also captured a micro video of him playing...
smile.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 30 2014, 09:33 AM
Post #3

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 10.636

What a bunch of gems! Thanks for sharing, Lexman! Btw - how are you man?

How's practicing going along? We haven't heard from you in a while now smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
post Oct 30 2014, 10:11 AM
Post #4

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 9.820

That must have been an awesome time !

What's really interesting is when Greg talks about how he developed that tap sequence in order to play that idea that he'd created.

In my opinion, this is all technique is and should be.. it's something that enables you to get the sound happening. Sometimes you'll write something and you're not thinking about technique.. it's only when you go to try and play it that you might need to develop some other way that's very personal to you in order to make it happen. That's why it's totally cool for us all to have different ways of playing things, different ways of navigating the fretboard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lexman
post Oct 30 2014, 03:13 PM
Post #5

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 16.046

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 30 2014, 09:33 AM) *
What a bunch of gems! Thanks for sharing, Lexman! Btw - how are you man?

How's practicing going along? We haven't heard from you in a while now smile.gif

Hi Cosmin! I m doing great thanks for asking smile.gif
I have been quite busy since the summer vacations so I didn't practice as much as I should but I think I'm improving slowly nonetheless.
Right now, I'm practicing rhythm with Marcus'
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-guitar/basic-metal-rhythm/ ://https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rh...-metal-rhythm/
It's going fine except for the part where he is switching from galloping to 16th notes it's giving me trouble!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 30 2014, 10:11 AM) *

What's really interesting is when Greg talks about how he developed that tap sequence in order to play that idea that he'd created.

Totally! It was interesting to see his approach. He also said he's never had an organised routine he spent his time noodling trying to make it sound good. He really approached the instrument as a means for his creativity.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 30 2014, 10:11 AM) *
In my opinion, this is all technique is and should be.. it's something that enables you to get the sound happening. Sometimes you'll write something and you're not thinking about technique.. it's only when you go to try and play it that you might need to develop some other way that's very personal to you in order to make it happen. That's why it's totally cool for us all to have different ways of playing things, different ways of navigating the fretboard.

You guys think alike! He also said there is no such thing as a best guitarist because there shouldn't be any competition since the aim is to improve as an artist. That's when I thought about your quote "The opponent is within"!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
post Oct 30 2014, 04:29 PM
Post #6

Learning Guitar Hero

Member No.: 13.839

QUOTE (Lexman @ Oct 29 2014, 11:37 AM) *
Hey thank you so much for sharing this!!
I've just returned from the guitar clinic with Greg Howe it was amazing!! Here are some pictures and 2 quick videos, unfortunately my camera's battery died on me so I couldn't film more... I wish I had recorded him playing Kick it all over from his Greg Howe album.. he absoluetly nailed it, I' had a blast hearing him play live. He was talking about various stuff I've recorded some of it, in the vids below you can hear him talk about his experience with Michael Jackson and his creation process for composing, and I also captured a micro video of him playing...
smile.gif

Hey Lex! No problem man. I am glad that you were able to attend one of the clinics and had a great time and also was able to get something out of it. smile.gif I wish he would come up here to Alaska, hopefully one day he will. Thanks for sharing the story , the pics, and video!
Cheers!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
post Oct 31 2014, 01:07 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

Member No.: 10.636

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 30 2014, 09:11 AM) *

So well put mate smile.gif But this is one thing that occurs from a certain level onwards - I mean, when we are in the beginner stage, we don't know how a certain sound is produced and when we do learn, we need to get really acquainted with the processes, by practicing a lot. From a certain point on, our ears are the ones that dictate everything. For me this is how it goes:

Listening - understanding - reproducing

Experience will tell you what can and can't be done on the spot. When you hear something that you haven't done before, things occur like this:

Listening - understanding - learning - building speed/timing/groove/expression - reproducing. We are reproducing an idea that occurs in our mind actually, so the idea of reproduction is not only aimed at something we hear from the outside.

I think it's really important to understand these processes and have them in the back of our mind whenever we are learning or writing something smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 01:53 AM