> Can't Help But Drool, Studio Pron
Todd Simpson
post Oct 16 2014, 06:11 AM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 8.794

I know these studio setups are more and more, relics of the past. I know you don't "need" these HUGE boards like this. I know all that. But still, for some reason. Every time I come across these types of pictures I am taken aback. I suck in my breath and wonder in awe at the sheer magnificence of the Art and Technology involved. I can't help but love these things smile.gif

Granted I'm a GEAR NUT. Does this happen to you guys?

Here are some killer facilities with much vaunted SSL consoles smile.gif
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Oct 16 2014, 09:18 AM
Post #2

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

IMO a large console is still essential if you track/record professionally for many reasons but particularly if you track/record any situation where there are a lot of performers and/or multiple mics. and/or sub mixes etc.

A few important things that the home/project daw user could learn from seeing a pro engineer use a console include:

1/ Gainstaging
2/ Work flow
3/ Set up

Oh and yes I do still enjoy walking in to the rooms at a studio with large consoles - sadly we're losing those studios as more and more are shutting down. Having said that one of my friends works for SSL commissioning new installs and is kept quite busy and another couple work for AMS building large format Neves and are also pretty busy so large formats are still in demand and still being sold.

As a mastering engineer I don't really need a console although I keep a 32 channel for the times when we stem master and for the very rare times when we track/record or mix.

A little OT - last night me and the wife watched a few programs on DVD and my wife commented that the theme music sounded so much better on one than on the other. The one she preferred was recorded with a live orchestra the other was clearly built from orchestral samples.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Oct 16 2014, 09:29 AM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
klasaine
post Oct 16 2014, 02:36 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 17.304

Most of the the 'better' small studios here still use mixing boards/desks even if they're just an 8 - 16 ch board.

This one is in the spare room studio of a small house ...
Attached Image

This is only a little bigger. What was two rooms in a house ...
Attached Image

Both are used 'commercially' albeit for smaller projects (bands, overdubs, voice over, some sndtrk work) and both utilize other rooms in the house for recording live musicians. Each also has one, small, dedicated 'live' room/iso booth.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 16 2014, 04:11 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 17 2014, 01:52 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

Well said!! smile.gif It's sad to see the big rooms going away and the big studios as well. That's life in the big city of MP3 I guess. sad.gif
I"m glad that there are still nice rooms and nice facilities out there though smile.gif I think the industry will find it's feet as we get closer to the bottom of this shakeout but it's been a long shakeout. Maybe "Geological Shift" is more apt than shakeout.

I'd still like to track in a big room with real drums and a huge console and what not smile.gif Just for the experience of it. I've worked in medium size rooms before, but I'd like to track in some place thats just huge at least once smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 16 2014, 04:18 AM) *
IMO .an on the other. The one she preferred was recorded with a live orchestra the other was clearly built from orchestral samples.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yash
post Oct 22 2014, 03:26 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15.579

What is all this gizmo ??? ohmy.gif I have no idea what that is but, I wanna play. I think they are mixers for after you have recorded everything and want to set the volumes and then finish the track ? Whatever it is.. looks great !! I wanna play biggrin.gif

--------------------
Play with emotion. Playing with all technique and no emotion makes you boring. And most importantly, Make faces while bending.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Oct 22 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

The big things with all the sliders and knobs are "mixing desks". They used to be a part of every recording believe it or not!! These days, many folks simply skip them, especially at home. But they are found in nice studios and nicer home studios and such. They still look very cool smile.gif

The stuff in the racks is a variety of what is called "outboard gear", this stuff used to be required as well, but is now mostly done by PLUGINS. Again, you still find this stuff in nicer home studios and in pro studios as some folks still find it sounds better for some things. But either way, it looks cool smile.gif

QUOTE (Yash @ Oct 22 2014, 10:26 AM) *
What is all this gizmo ??? ohmy.gif I have no idea what that is but, I wanna play. I think they are mixers for after you have recorded everything and want to set the volumes and then finish the track ? Whatever it is.. looks great !! I wanna play biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yash
post Oct 24 2014, 04:26 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 15.579

Nice. Seems fun biggrin.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
Play with emotion. Playing with all technique and no emotion makes you boring. And most importantly, Make faces while bending.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
post Oct 25 2014, 09:43 AM
Post #8

Moderator - low level high stakes
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 2.194

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 22 2014, 04:38 PM) *
The big things with all the sliders and knobs are "mixing desks".

...and sometimes mixing consoles

They used to be a part of every recording believe it or not!! These days, many folks simply skip them, especially at home. But they are found in nice studios and nicer home studios and such. They still look very cool smile.gif

...and if you go to any professional commercial tracking/recording studio you'll find that they have and use consoles/desks and nearly always big ones at least in the main studio. Pretty much the vast majority of commercial recordings have ben tracked and mixed on a large desk and the vast majority of us pro engineers learnt our trade on them. As Todd says you can also find them in some home/project studios - a friend of mine built his home studio around a big SSL 900.

The stuff in the racks is a variety of what is called "outboard gear", this stuff used to be required as well, but is now mostly done by PLUGINS. Again, you still find this stuff in nicer home studios and in pro studios as some folks still find it sounds better for some things. But either way, it looks cool smile.gif

Plug ins are great for home/project studios and even smaller professional studios as they cost a lot less than hardware that does the same essential thing. They usually can be opened more than once in a daw so you can have lots of the same plug in use at the same time. Plug ins also usually allow you to instantly store and recall a particular set up whereas hardware may not.

Hardware is usually used in professional studios for lots of reasons including: It usually lets us engineers gainstage in a properly balanced analogue chain. It nearly always results in a more 3d holographic recording that has more LR, front back and up down space than an ITB version. It nearly always sounds more natural than the equivalent plug-in. It feels more immediate and hands on for most of us. It retains it's 2nd hand/used value whilst software plug-ins don't.

As Todd says, it looks cool - just think of how any of the photos in this thread would look if you took out all of the hardware and consoles and just left the computer and screen!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2017 - 02:32 AM