> My Amp Fixing Adventure :)
Mertay
post Oct 28 2014, 06:13 PM
Post #1

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

After moving, I decided to take care of my amp I bought in the 90's but only played 2-3 years. This is my first amp repair exp. ever smile.gif

I turned it on and the knobs weren't working properly, it was so oxidised even the high input wasn't working biggrin.gif So I bought a cleaner that has oil in it (there are a few types of these)

For the knobs (pots) I sprayed it to the little holes on each and turned the knob so the chemical can reach better

The amp is a Peavey express 112 S, one of the first transtube model.

The transtube knob was different, it had 3 tinyer holes. I did manage to clean it but wasn't as good as the others, still very usable compared to before

So I plugged the guitar again, pots were fine only their turn speed became a little loose but sounded good. But the overall sound was problematic. Some wierd dist. was going on, the output was very low and the bass freq. weren't sounding right. Someone said the cone of the speaker might have been damaged tongue.gif

I opened the cone and to my luck it wasn't damaged like being ripped, while moving I guess the power cable squashed the cone a bit so all I had to do was press the bumped place back so it would be flat again

So now it sound as I remember smile.gif really powerful, bedroom levels at night can't pass 2 even though I have no neightbours around me.

The dist. isn't for me to be honest when every knob is at full, but I really like the cleans on it and sounds great with dist. pedals. I asked the value of it and someone said used is max 200 dollars so to me its not worth selling. I'm always on PC so it won't be used much as I don't mic. amps at my bedroom...

So I wondered if I could connect it to the soundcard even though it doesn't have a line out on it. It has an FX send and from this link it should work;

http://support.turtlebeach.com/entry/57551...511719&Msg=

It does work! I didn't use a mixer like the link suggests as someone I trust told me it was ok to connect directly (I do have a DI-box but didn't use it either).

I didn't like the dist. much again, though on subtle it can be cool for blues stuff. Since the cab.+reverb+transtube doesn't work on fx send, clean sound didn't have anything special to it anymore.

But what I liked was the response of the guitar, it felt so sensitive now. I asked about this here and figured out I connected the fx send to the hi-z input of the soundcard rather than the normal line in smile.gif so the impedance mismatched a little as it was too much though I liked it smile.gif

Now I'm thinking of buying a pedal to keep working with that sensitive feel I liked smile.gif it can be pretty much anything but must work with plug-ins (no way planning an all analog setup, atleast right now smile.gif )

My chain itb is very simple; an overdrive (bright-ish setuped but not very distorted, mostly for boosting the gain) a boss metalzone emulation (cranked) and cab. ir. So I must figure out whats best to buy analog and place it at the beginning of the chain...

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 28 2014, 06:19 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
post Oct 28 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 10.312

Don't let me near an amp with the task of cleaning it. I'd be using soap and water with the power turned on...

Good job though. It's always good to have a different sound at your disposal ~ having a variety of nice cleans gives you more recording options.

Cheeers!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Mertay
post Oct 29 2014, 03:41 PM
Post #3

GMC:er
Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 18.294

Thanks biggrin.gif

I was always shy about these stuff (started with pickup mod.ing) until one day I was broke and fed up with the limitations smile.gif after unscrewing the shyness went away and with some luck I didn't burn anything or myself biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Oct 29 2014, 03:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 01:43 PM