> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

22 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tom51's Practice Thread, for Gab's Army
Tom51
post Apr 17 2016, 03:24 PM
Post #281

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.440

And here is my Buckethead video. Wow...it has really taken a very long time to get there and it must have been very hard for you at the beginning wink.gif Hope you can enjoy listening to this one now. Sure there is room to make it better but I am a little proud of the result.

I also want to put it in the REC section for feedback from the other instructors.
Without your patience and advise I would have never got to this level. Thanks so much Gab!

https://youtu.be/F_sbixGk04w
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 18 2016, 06:29 AM
Post #282

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Tom,

Great to have your final (by now) take of this lesson. I think that your progress on this lesson is very notable if you compare your first takes with this one so congrats on your hard work. As we decided previously, it's time to move to new lessons and maybe get back to this one in the future to see how your playing keeps evolving.

I also think that sharing this one at REC is a good idea, go for it!

Finally thanks for your nice words. I feel proud and happy. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Apr 19 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #283

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab, still searching for the next bending and vibrato lesson. I would still do the "bending exercise" (play target note first then bend) in addition.
Therefore maybe we can look for a more musical lesson that motivates me over a long time?

Just a few ideas that I would like:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pink-Floyd-Influences/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bend-A...lide-Exercises/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...r-style-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...licks-beginner/

Sure if you feel the best choice for me would be the new lesson from Darius I would trust your decision and would go for it .
Also I want to add HIM style rhythm lesson so that we have my practice schedule (60-90 min for summertime is more realistic biggrin.gif )

4 lessons 15-30min (Weezer and HIM , Frusciante 3, and new bending lesson)
Music Theory 30min ( I realized that I slowly forget some of the things we did before and will start repeating it)

Just let me know what you think. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 19 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #284

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom,

I prefer that you choose the one that motivates you more to practice. Each of those lessons will do the job of making you practice bending so it's up to you. I consider Darius lesson cool because it's like the bending exercise but in a musical context but don't worry about it, choose the one that you like more! smile.gif

The plan sounds perfect.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Apr 22 2016, 02:57 PM
Post #285

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab, just recorded a new Weezer lesson. Was working to improve my right hand moves in the last weeks.
For the two middle parts I just recorded audio to save a little time. I would merge all 3 videos for a final take then.

https://youtu.be/J4pFfnlmJ2E

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 25 2016, 03:56 AM
Post #286

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom, nice take.

During the next days I suggest you to pay attention to two things:

- Right hand movement: I think that there is something to adjust on your right hand movement, mostly when you play the first part and the last melodic riff. It's hard to explain with words but it's something related to how much you start the motion from your wrist. Please compare your take with my video and tell me what conclusions you take.

- chord changes: I note that you are not comfortable with some chord changes yet, mostly in the chorus section. Focus on it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Apr 25 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #287

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab,
thanks for your feedback. I just revisited the lesson and can see what you mean. Your right hand only moves in one axis vertically up and down adn stays more or less at same hight above guitar body
My hand moves vertically and horizontally like I would be trying to paint a curve. I know how where the turn of my hand came from: at the beginning I was trying with my hard 2mm pick to strumm which requires to change the pick angle for ups and downs. Now I usually use around 1mm for strumming which is easier.

To me my hand feels good and loose but I will try to get closer to your hand position. Maybe I should record the full arm next time so that you can see it better.

Did I get what you want me to see? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 26 2016, 01:26 PM
Post #288

Instructor
Group Icon

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Take your time to see other guitarists and how they move their right hand. I think that you will have more control if you adjust a bit your motion and it will be very helpful for more advanced stuff.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post May 5 2016, 02:42 PM
Post #289

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab, was working on the movement of my rhythm hand to get this more in the direction we were talking about and recorded a new Weezer lesson. Curious what you think. Cheers Tom

https://youtu.be/Ihw5AZRTPKE

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 5 2016, 10:04 PM
Post #290

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom, yeah, this is better! It's more relaxed so I can say that this is a new step into the right direction. Keep on practising trying to make your hand get more and more relaxed.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post May 6 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #291

Learning Roadie

Great to hear that I am on the right way with the rhythm hand. So I will practice Weezer lesson for the next 4 weeks and make a final take. OK?

Here comes my first recoding on the Bending lesson after about 3 weeks practice. I focused on getting timing and bending right first. Sorry for bad light in the video which is due to sun today afternoon. I did not see it during recording.

https://youtu.be/IezW35_onvk

Currently I repeat arpeggios and triads from former theory lessons. What so you think about getting back to the improvisation course from your video chat? Or will we have further theory assignments in our forum?

Thanks for feedback Gab!
Tom

I should have mention that I choose this lesson wink.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...r-style-lesson/

This post has been edited by Tom51: May 6 2016, 06:29 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 8 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #292

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom,

Great to see you working on Gilmour lesson. Your bending is reaching the correct pitch in most of the times which is a great thing. Here are some things that I would have in mind during the next days of practice and for the next take:

- Vibrato: Your vibrato needs some attention. Check your phrasing on this take and compare it with the original lesson. You'll notice a different treatment of vibrato. Take your time to make it sound more consistent. It requires very deep attention.

- articulation: Some phrases could sound smoother, mostly when you play 16th notes. The notes sound like "cut" too early, try to make your alternate picking runs sound smoother.

- Tone: I think that your tone needs some polishing on this one. It sounds much thinner than the original lesson. Experiment with EQ balance to make it sound "bigger" as Wallimann's.

Getting back to the improvisation course sounds good. That course has a structured program so you should go for it. The work outs are more like "complementary" works.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post May 21 2016, 04:21 PM
Post #293

Learning Roadie

Hello Gab - new videos with Weezer and Gilmour lesson.

Weezer Style
Still working on my rhythm hand movement. I practice this lesson only a few times daily as I get bored soon. So maybe we change this for another one soon.

https://youtu.be/YFRvOguEjrw

Gilmour Lesson
This lesson is the last in my daily practice because I really like it am very motivated. So I can play this again and again. Its really interesting and shows me how important it is to practice music we deeply enjoy.
Was trying to improve my vibrato and slowly add small vibrato at some bends.

https://youtu.be/NyGwOvqBVjM

Also working on HIM (hmmm not with that fascination) and Frusciante 3. New recording will be here soon.

About Music Theory Assignment: I really work on it but its a big challenge. I understood that its not the best idea to just play pentatonic without keeping attention to the backing chord notes. At the moment I try to make some melodies just using Em7 Am7 and Bm7 notes but that is not easy. Just wanted to say "I am working" even if you do not hear something new.

This post has been edited by Tom51: May 21 2016, 04:22 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 21 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #294

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom!! Congrats on these new videos.

Both lessons shows notable improvements so you are working on the right way. I'm impressed of how precise you managed rhythm on Gilmour's lesson and how better your vibrato and bending are becoming.

There is obviously room to keep on improving both lessons (we've talked about the things to focus) but you are on the right track.

I'm still not convinced of your right hand picking. There is something weird regarding the way to pick the strings, hold the pick and the overall movement. I would like to see you working on this lesson, and trying to emulate Ben's right hand movement:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post May 22 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #295

Learning Roadie

You are a big motivator Gab biggrin.gif
I will continue working on both lessons to get a good take.

We will have a hot day today and I promised to help the family to make some tasty lemon ice cream and so I started immediately in the morning with Ben's Picking lesson. Here is a video. I positioned the camera so that you see my picking hand.
Also I did not use my usual 2,2mm fat Chicken Pick as it is very round at the peak. I remembered a Darius lesson and used a 0,85mm pick after trying some around 1mm.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks a lot!
Tom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5jltv-tCrE...em-upload_owner

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 22 2016, 04:45 PM
Post #296

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom! Great job! smile.gif

The new video looks good! I think that it's a good idea to keep this lesson in your diary routine to train your right hand and to try to relax more your right hand when playing it. I would also try to hold the pick a bit more with the tip of your thumb, to have more precision.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post May 22 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #297

Learning Roadie

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 22 2016, 03:45 PM) *
I think that it's a good idea to keep this lesson in your diary routine to train your right hand and to try to relax more your right hand when playing it. I would also try to hold the pick a bit more with the tip of your thumb, to have more precision.

Sounds good, will play this daily a few times and hold the pick more with the tip of my thumb and share a video about in about 10 days. I also used the new pick position with the other lessons today. This will take some days to feel comfortable.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post May 24 2016, 02:03 PM
Post #298

Instructor
Group Icon

Well done! Keep going mate! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Jun 12 2016, 10:20 AM
Post #299

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab, an update of the Gilmour lesson... was working to improve the vibrato for bended notes. Thanks Tom

https://youtu.be/NNXyxdVV7hs

Update: recorded Ben's Picking Lesson too...

https://youtu.be/QqeiOqSJBb4

This post has been edited by Tom51: Jun 12 2016, 03:21 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jun 13 2016, 12:18 AM
Post #300

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom,

This is going well but there is off course room to improvements on both lessons. The picking lesson is much closer, it just has some timing issues while the other lesson still need work on bending and vibrato.

As always, your playing keeps on progression. Congrats.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2017 - 07:42 PM