> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

21 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tom51's Practice Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 30 2015, 02:15 PM
Post #61

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Tom! Great to see you on the right track and practicing hard. The first two lessons obviously need more practice to feel more used to those licks and patterns so keep on practicing, if it's possible use slower backing tracks to be sure that you are playing with the correct timing.
The rhythm lesson sounds good, just remember to try to relax your hands and body while you play and let your foot and head follow the groove.

About your theory question, you are totally right!

Give a look at this two thread:

Finding the Key of a Song
Simple Harmonies

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Mar 30 2015, 08:40 PM
Post #62

Learning Roadie

Group: Members
Member No.: 20.440

Just read through the two articles from Andrew and though it might be a a good idea to find the keys my other lessons are in.
So the barre chords lesson is C major too - tried to find out how all barre chords relate to and got soon confused as Bear listed Bb and A# chord. I always thought A# and Bb are the same?

Next thing: most chords like F perfectly fit into C major scale but some like A7 includes other notes like Db. Is that possible because A belongs to C major and Db is harmonic to A?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 31 2015, 06:53 PM
Post #63

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, just to be sure, are you talking about this lesson?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...g-Barre-Chords/

That lesson is not in C major. Please re-check the "finding the key" thread and let me know if you can find the correct key.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Mar 31 2015, 08:29 PM
Post #64

Learning Roadie

Yes - I mean this lesson. Hm ... it seems I do not understand that.
I looked the Guitar Pro file and there is no key signature between treble cleff and time signature - so I thought C major?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 1 2015, 01:59 PM
Post #65

Instructor
Group Icon

No, maybe the instructor didn't pay attention to it. Try to discover it using other ways based on the chord progression itself, and if you can't I'll give you more tips about this.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Apr 3 2015, 06:59 PM
Post #66

Learning Roadie

Oh thanks for the great advise. Was trying it very simple, looked at first chord which had the base tone F and build a major scale based on it to see if chord fit into the scale :

F-G-A-Bb-C-D-E-F

so a major chord progression would be

I ii iii IV V vi VI

where all chords from the lesson except one (A7) would fit. If I understand it correctly the 3rd chord in a major scale should be a minor? So I would expect Am instead of A7.

Nevertheless as all others fit I thing its F major?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 3 2015, 08:28 PM
Post #67

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom! good job! You're right, this is in F major. You are also clever by noting that A7 is a stranger here. However, this chord is usually included because it's the V of the relative minor key (Dm). This V chord is usually played dominant being borrowed by other parallel minor scale like Melodic minor or Harmonic minor. So, this chord is included to give a different color to the progression and it's something that you'll find a lot in minor tonalities. (and less frequently on major ones like this one).

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Apr 5 2015, 07:39 PM
Post #68

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab, thats really interesting...so i can see below which chord would changes from major to minor. Is there a rule or can be any changed that sounds good? I tried with E to Em and C to Cm - but that was not a good idea.

F Major F G A Bb C D E (I ii iii IV V vi V)
D Minor D E F G A Bb C (i ii III iv V VI vii)

Here is the latest version of the Barre Chord lesson. Now I feel I got it, so my right hand moves much more like Bear and not so staccato like. I am also no longer before the beat.

https://youtu.be/mXmvM5rHLR0

About Etude and Legato/Alternate Picking: working on both really hard but have not yet a recoding against the backing track. It's slowly improving and I will have something next week.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 5 2015, 11:21 PM
Post #69

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom,

well, the only rule when composing is that you like what you hear give time to experiment and see what combinations you like and which ones not. There is a concept called modal interchange that means that you borrow chords from a parallel key but most of the rockers that we like don't really know that this exist. They just combine chords and choose the combinations that sound good.

I've checked the new video and you're right, it sounds and looks really good! well done. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Apr 12 2015, 06:50 PM
Post #70

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab - here I am with new videos...

Legato and Alternate Picking
First recording against the backing track. Was working at least 45min/day - but as always make slow progress only. A lot of work ahead.
http://youtu.be/RXcY-x4ipN8

Bending and Vibrato
same as above...
http://youtu.be/qOXx17bcARI

Rhythm and Chords
No new video due to your encouraging comment last week as I thought you gave me a "lesson passed" . Right? Or is there something you want me to do at the 6-string barre chords lesson? I still play this daily and will continue to do so to get this as basic skill. Was also playing in a different key like G-major some chord progression to apply what I learned in theory.

Time to choose a new lesson here? Shall I do 5 string Barre Chords lesson from Bear or will we keep this for later an do something different now?

Ear Training
I badly need this. Was surprised how many mistakes I made in the beginning when you changed the octave, needed my guitar to get a feeling for the intervals. Do this at least 10min/day. Here is my result:
535 835 588 353 358 835 358

This post has been edited by Tom51: Apr 12 2015, 07:04 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 13 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #71

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom, thanks for the update!

This lessons are exactly what you need to work so we are on the right track with this routine. The legato + alternate picking lesson shows a big difference between both techniques. AP is ok, but legato is weak yet. You need to focus on making both the hammer and pull of with more strength to make the notes sound with a similar intensity than when you play it with your pick. Remember that you have to "attach" the string when you quit your finger to do the pull of, and that the tap must be enough strong to make the note sound good.

The lesson based on bending & vibrato needs more practice to feel more comfortable with the phrases and improve both techniques. You are doing a good job but you need more days of practice. A good idea would be to work on smaller sections like one or two phrases, repeat them and compare them with the original lesson to get inspired by dynamics, vibrato and bending.

Ear training workout:

535 835 588 3 5 3 358 835 358

Great job with the ear training workout, the only wrong one is the 5th marked in bold which is a perfect 8th.

Finally about Rhythm, yes, we should go for a new lesson. It would be the one that you suggested, or maybe another one "in the style of" that applies the chords and rhythms that you are currently practicing and that covers a style/band that you like.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Apr 19 2015, 08:17 PM
Post #72

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab - here I am with new videos.

Legato and Alternate Picking
Focus on hammer on and pull off. It seems I need a lot more time to get this right...
https://youtu.be/WiL4zb01hRM

Bending and Vibrato
Was taking your advice and practiced in smaller sections and compared with the original and corrected some phrasing.
https://youtu.be/jVhcC3acdy4

Rhythm and Chords
Nothing new here. Played the Barre Chord lesson daily a few times. Also put it to REC and was very happy that is passed biggrin.gif

I did no search much about a new lesson. I thing learning the 5 string barre as well will not be a bad idea.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...g-Barre-Chords/
Would start then tomorrow with this new lesson. OK?

Ear Training
Started with the new assignment today - but I need more time to learn these intervals. I will do at least 15min a day.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 20 2015, 02:02 AM
Post #73

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom, thanks for the new videos!

Legato and alternate picking: Yes, legato is the technique that is giving problems on this one. We need to go for an easier lesson that cover this technique. What about starting with this one? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/
I recommend you to start with that lesson but working on 1 part each day and repeat it as a loop, as an isolated exercise. We need to train your left hand.

Bending and vibrato: This is evolving ok, it needs more practice to make the phrases sound smoother and off course both techniques covered more consistent but I feel that you are on the right track. I like how your vibrato is evolving, it's getting closer. In some moments it is regular and becomes a natural part of your playing, while in other parts it's not. (like at 01:23).

Working on that rhythm lesson and starting with the new ear training assignment are great plans, go for them. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Apr 20 2015, 07:21 AM
Post #74

Learning Roadie

Hey Gab - thanks much for your feedback. I will start with the new legato lesson in that way today and play endless loops wink.gif
What I am still not sure about is the right tone for legato. More distortion seems to make it easier but my last recordings had terrible string noise which is hard to mute when the palm rests on the bridge and you play over all strings. Or is it only a matter of my weak playing and I should not care much about tone right now?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 20 2015, 03:00 PM
Post #75

Instructor
Group Icon

Great question Tom!

Each kind of tone has its advantage and disadvantage so I think that it's ok to divide your time and practice in both ways. If you use more distortion, extra noises will appear and that's great! because you need to practice muting the strings that don't have to sound. On the other hand, practicing without distortion will make you do more strength with your fingers to make the notes sound, which is great to train your hands. So both things should be done.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Apr 21 2015, 07:24 PM
Post #76

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab - here are my results from ear training. Without my guitar I would have more wrong than right. Will keep on doing this until you release a new lesson. Cheers Tom

M3-M6-Oct-P5-M2-M7-M6-M2-U-P4-Oct-M3-M7-P4-P5

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 21 2015, 10:01 PM
Post #77

Instructor
Group Icon

Perfect work! So this needs more practice since it would be great if you can recognize the intervals just with your ears and voice. Create your own exercises to train it during this week.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post Apr 26 2015, 04:55 PM
Post #78

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab, was really trying to show some better takes for this week but there are always some tricky details on my way wink.gif

Rhythm and chords
It took me quite some time until I found out that Bear does some muting between the chords to add a rhythm detail. I really thought I would have a recording against the backing track after one week. But I still need to practice the chord changes.
http://youtu.be/H0NFkgv88w8

Legato
Its getting better each day but not fast enough yet to play against the backing track. Most problems are when my fingers have to cover more than 4 frets (e.g. 8-10-12 of B string)
https://youtu.be/TgqSSGF9jHU

Vibrato and Bending
Was working at least 45min a day on it but I miss still the faster licks like at the end. Also some phrasing missing where is should be - like this sliding out of vibrato notes.
https://youtu.be/Ka4VzUVMZ-A

Ear Training
Did it with an own recoding - without guitar between 70-80% ok. Will check the new assignment later today.

Thank you so much for your patience and support. You are really a great motivation for me. Without that tracking I would probably stumble around exercises and soon get frustrated.

This post has been edited by Tom51: Apr 26 2015, 07:24 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 27 2015, 04:10 PM
Post #79

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Tom! I have to say that I'm really proud of your progress and hard work on this program. You are very disciplined and this will have a big impact in your guitar playing. smile.gif

These lessons still have things to improve but as I said previously, you are going forward, you're on the right track. Here I go with some suggestions and comments.

Rhythm: I can hear that you are playing the pattern correctly, however, the fact that you can't change the chords fast enough makes that the pattern is cut between each chord. I recommend you to practice this much slower but continuous over a metronome or drum loop. The idea is that you can play the whole thing at a slow tempo and keep the groove flowing. Then, with days of practice you can increase timing gradually.

Legato: The same here. You are playing each pattern at a tempo, but there is a silence in the connection. As I suggested with the previous one, work at a slower tempo but trying to play the whole thing keeping the groove.

Vibrato and bending: This one is evolving really good! There is off course a lot to polish and you already noted it. So keep on practicing this one in this way, focusing on vibrato (it's getting better!), bending and timing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Tom51
post May 2 2015, 09:46 AM
Post #80

Learning Roadie

Hi Gab -just want to share my ear training results. Do we have one week or am I a little late? Hopefully there is not too much wrong. It was really difficult for me and when I heard the first time I thought I cannot do it - so I really need more of this ...
The first 3 days I spend about 20-30 min playing intervals - those were I think they are in your assignment -all over the fretboard. This was helpful to get the sound in my ears. I was very confused that I found only 3 different intervals?

M3-P5-M3-Oct-M3-P5-Oct-M3-P5-M3

Will post new videos tomorrow. Stumbled around this and was wondering how this rhythm technique is called? It is fingerpicking chords?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXemqki688A

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2017 - 03:34 PM