> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

12 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Yoncopin's Thread, for Gab's Army
yoncopin
post Dec 16 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #161

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 7.667

I like it! I started practicing on it last night and I think this is a great choice to follow up with. I want to really dissect it note by note to get the details right smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 17 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #162

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Great! It's one of my favorite GMC lessons ever.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jan 10 2017, 04:54 AM
Post #163

Learning Rock Star

The holidays are finally over... I haven't practiced in what feels like forever. We had guests who were staying in my studio room, so I haven't been in there in a while. It's nice to pick up my guitar again, but my routine is way out of wack and I feel like I must've forgotten a bunch of what I'd learned <sigh>

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 10 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #164

Instructor
Group Icon

Welcome back mate! You just need a few days to get back on track. Take a pair of days to move those fingers until you feel comfortable again.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Jan 27 2017, 03:07 AM
Post #165

Learning Rock Star

Thought I'd post an update..., ugh things didn't really get better. After I wrote that last message I got pneumonia/flu really bad and have been very sick. My mom is having back surgery and I'm going to go care for her in two weeks. It's been really hard to get any serious practicing done. I've jammed here and there, but I haven't had the energy and focus needed to really practice purposefully. Everything is so disrupted.

I watched one of Kris's live streams this weekend and realized how important it is to jam over backing tracks. When I do it just by myself, that is when I sound stale, but with a backing, new ideas come out. When I noodle around I'm going to always put on a backing from now on. I did get some maintenance done on my guitars while I was home sick. Some string changes and setup tweaks, and I re-configured some switches to add coil-taps, etc... I moved some pickups around and really have been liking having a mini-humbucker in my Strat bridge position. I was hoping it would inspire me, and it did, but I'm still and struggling with energy/clarity to really practice.

So, that's kinda where I'm at. I did discover this lesson (Stoner for Strat) which is way cool and probably what I want to learn next.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 28 2017, 05:16 PM
Post #166

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, I'm sorry about those things mate. I hope that everything gets better soon, and that your mother has a good recovery. All my best thoughts to her and you.

Improvising over backing tracks is great for training and it's also really entertaining. I think that it's good to be able to play over backings but it's also cool when you can also play without a backing, just a guitar and you, and it sounds "full". Both things are interesting.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Feb 3 2017, 02:43 AM
Post #167

Learning Rock Star

Here's a quick take of where I am on the Ballad lesson, it's not at full speed, 78bpm. This was just a quick record first take of what I've learned so far. I still have a long way to go, but I wanted to post some progress and see what you thought.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 5 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #168

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, I think that this sounds very good! I like your feeling and tone on this one. I'd like to hear a better mix/audio recording when recording the full version, because your playing deserves it.

Keep the great job.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Feb 5 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #169

Learning Rock Star

Thanks Gab! That's great to hear I'm on the right track. I did record this in a hurry, but if that's the biggest negative I feel pretty good because it's the easiest to fix smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 5 2017, 11:20 AM) *
Hi mate, I think that this sounds very good! I like your feeling and tone on this one. I'd like to hear a better mix/audio recording when recording the full version, because your playing deserves it.

Keep the great job.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 7 2017, 04:35 AM
Post #170

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Feb 5 2017, 03:40 PM) *
Thanks Gab! That's great to hear I'm on the right track. I did record this in a hurry, but if that's the biggest negative I feel pretty good because it's the easiest to fix smile.gif

Yeah! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Feb 24 2017, 03:40 PM
Post #171

Learning Rock Star

Finally back in town after being gone longer than I originally planned. I am so psyched to play my guitar again. I have a new compound radius Warmoth neck waiting at home for my Strat that I can't wait to put on. I saw this video this morning and was just supremely envious of the playing, I wish I was even a fraction as good. Just wanted to let you know I'll be getting back to it, so I hope to have progress to share soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 25 2017, 04:29 PM
Post #172

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate! Welcome back!! That video is a MASTERCLASS in itself. I'm also impressed on the perfection and naturally of his playing, as well as even playing classic metal stuff, this sounds a lot fresh to my ears.

It would be interesting if you can write down some ideas used on this vid, to be worked in our own playing, what do you say?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Feb 27 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #173

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 25 2017, 11:29 AM) *
Hi mate! Welcome back!! That video is a MASTERCLASS in itself. I'm also impressed on the perfection and naturally of his playing, as well as even playing classic metal stuff, this sounds a lot fresh to my ears.

It would be interesting if you can write down some ideas used on this vid, to be worked in our own playing, what do you say?

Yes, great idea. Here's what stood out to me, that I wish I could absorb into my playing.

1) Improve and expand my library of licks. I feel like I only know/use about a half dozen licks. Everytime I find something I like and really learn to incorporate it into my playing, I feel like my that stale "same"-ness diminishes noticeably.

2) He moves between the octaves really easily, playing the same or complimentary licks. That seems really useful to know the different scale shapes that intuitively.

3) I *think* this is mostly pentatonic playing, but he adds some major/modal flourishes here and there and the ?chorus? has a more major sound to it. I think learning how to break out of the pentatonic boxes with just an occasional note from the full major scale would be really useful.

4) As always, speed and improve my vibrato smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 1 2017, 01:04 AM
Post #174

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate,

yes! All those things are happening here. I can see some connection between him and Ozzy's guitarists: Randy, Zakk, and even Gus G. This is like the rocker side of Metal. He has a fantastic tone, and a really tasty note choices and melodies.

Technically, there is a great control of alternate picking, sweep picking, vibrato, bending, and some legato. Regarding theory, this is mostly a minor aeolian piece, and most of the things played here are pentatonic minor, blues scale, with some other chromatic notes, and also the use of triads to follow the chords from the backing.

It's not a bad idea to use the slow downer in youtube and transcribe this solo. You'll find lots of great licks that could be incorporated in your playing.

Finally, I think that this type of players have an important arsenal of licks in their brain archive and that's because they have a repertoire of full songs (maybe instrumentals, maybe normal songs but with longs solos). They practice these songs frequently, and they surely play this stuff live. In order words, they study all these licks and ideas and play them diary, weekly. So, I think that having an instrumental repertoire could be a great help to expand your licks vocabulary.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Mar 1 2017, 03:22 PM
Post #175

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 28 2017, 08:04 PM) *
Hi mate,

yes! All those things are happening here. I can see some connection between him and Ozzy's guitarists: Randy, Zakk, and even Gus G. This is like the rocker side of Metal. He has a fantastic tone, and a really tasty note choices and melodies.

Technically, there is a great control of alternate picking, sweep picking, vibrato, bending, and some legato. Regarding theory, this is mostly a minor aeolian piece, and most of the things played here are pentatonic minor, blues scale, with some other chromatic notes, and also the use of triads to follow the chords from the backing.

It's not a bad idea to use the slow downer in youtube and transcribe this solo. You'll find lots of great licks that could be incorporated in your playing.

Finally, I think that this type of players have an important arsenal of licks in their brain archive and that's because they have a repertoire of full songs (maybe instrumentals, maybe normal songs but with longs solos). They practice these songs frequently, and they surely play this stuff live. In order words, they study all these licks and ideas and play them diary, weekly. So, I think that having an instrumental repertoire could be a great help to expand your licks vocabulary.

I really like this style of playing a lot, like you said, the rocker side of metal. Transcribing this solo is a tall order, but I'm up for it. I am re-establishing my routine and focus after being away for so long. My ballad is progressing as well as the Shred Journey lessons. So you think they have such a repertoire of licks from just playing songs/solos? Not explicit focus on smaller licks themselves? Is that similar to the path we've been on learning the full lessons? I feel that I tend to learn a piece and before long it's forgotten, though small tidbits remain. Am I doing the right thing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
post Mar 1 2017, 06:39 PM
Post #176

GMC:er
Group Icon

Member No.: 8.794

He certainly picked the right pickups wink.gif That set is the best they make IMHO. I put one of them in my 8 string Rusty Cooley and it changed the guitar completely. The 57 / 66 set, are still hot pups but add the alnico clarity to things and remove some of the fizz/darkness that plagued many emg sets. Not to mention he's a killer player smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 2 2017, 01:42 PM
Post #177

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Mar 1 2017, 11:22 AM) *
I really like this style of playing a lot, like you said, the rocker side of metal. Transcribing this solo is a tall order, but I'm up for it. I am re-establishing my routine and focus after being away for so long. My ballad is progressing as well as the Shred Journey lessons. So you think they have such a repertoire of licks from just playing songs/solos? Not explicit focus on smaller licks themselves? Is that similar to the path we've been on learning the full lessons? I feel that I tend to learn a piece and before long it's forgotten, though small tidbits remain. Am I doing the right thing?

The difference is that in many cases, the solo guitarists play all that repertoire 3 or more times per week live so they don't forget it. The approach that we apply to the lessons is the way to go: Learning the lesson, then creating variations and improvisations over the backing track. However, you need to get back to those lessons that contains licks that you love.

Once you analyze this solo, you'll notice that there isn't a lot of stuff, but it's treated in a creative way. Even the most versatile guitarists like Govan, tend to have a pack of licks that they play in most of their jams. Changing some notes, a different key, group of strings, tempo, are the keys to refresh it...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Mar 20 2017, 01:45 PM
Post #178

Learning Rock Star

Man, this Ballad lesson is a beast! I have finally managed to actually learn/memorize the whole thing. I'm still working on smothing out each section before bringing it up to tempo. I'll post an update when I can get it all smooth at a lower tempo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 20 2017, 02:05 PM
Post #179

Instructor
Group Icon

Cool! Thanks for the update. Keep going. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
post Mar 22 2017, 10:56 PM
Post #180

Learning Rock Star

So I've been practicing the Ballad lesson now for 14 weeks! (With a couple taken out for travel) I can finally play it from beginning to end at 65-70bpm. I recorded a video to capture the progress and get your comments. I flubbed a few bends and got a bit lost towards the end of the solo, but overall I think it's a fairly accurate take on where I'm at today. After listening to it myself, I think I need mostly to focus on the second half of the solo and my tone needs less gain. Comments?

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 01:58 PM