Ngd Art Sgx Nitro (the 80's In 1 Rack Space)
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2015, 02:30 AM
GMC:er
If you stuffed the 80's in to one rack space, it would be the ART SGX NITRO smile.gif The presets are right out of a DOKKEN album. I love grabbing old gear off Ebay just to test it out and have some fun with it before letting it travel on it's way. This was wads of fun smile.gif Here is a quick taste. These are about $50 including shipping and foot controller on ebay.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 5 2015, 09:51 AM
Instructor
Great piece of gear Todd! smile.gif Current cost of those old devices is incompareable to their true value. One of the things I adviced to my students is exactly this SGX. I told them it's worth to by this for such a "funny amount of money", than buying some plastic toys from current production. Of course I mean the plastic toys for the same amount of money You would spend on a used SGX smile.gif

I remember somewhere in the second half of the 90's that this ART was sort of "space ship" and we all were impressed by the tone and abilities of all those FX blocks smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 6 2015, 12:43 AM
Sounds fun smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 6 2015, 08:22 AM
Well said!! And great advice to students! This is actual pro gear that is now very very very cheap!! This cost $15 plus shipping!!! Even if you just use the graphic EQ, and Delay/Reverb/Chorus and skip the distortion it's a great value. Also, the overdrive isn't bad at all so it can be entire practice rig in one rack space or gig with it using an amp/power amp.

I also used it with an external Distortion pedal to give more aggressive gain and it worked well. smile.gif The midi pedal to control it costs about $25 so it really can be a rig ready to go for very little money!! Also very cool clean sounds on board smile.gif

For the price, they just can't be beat smile.gif So much better than buying a plastic stomp box!!!

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 5 2015, 04:51 AM) *
Great piece of gear Todd! smile.gif Current cost of those old devices is incompareable to their true value. One of the things I adviced to my students is exactly this SGX. I told them it's worth to by this for such a "funny amount of money", than buying some plastic toys from current production. Of course I mean the plastic toys for the same amount of money You would spend on a used SGX smile.gif

I remember somewhere in the second half of the 90's that this ART was sort of "space ship" and we all were impressed by the tone and abilities of all those FX blocks smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 6 2015, 08:23 AM

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Jan 6 2015, 01:14 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Thanks Todd biggrin.gif
As a young guitarist (17 years old) I literally had no idea that such a great sounding Multi-Effects Processor would exist to this price biggrin.gif
I am for sure interested in one of those after watching this video and will definitely look and see if I find any of those to a good price smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 6 2015, 01:18 PM
Instructor
Yeah man! I even think that the kind of distortion that was in that ART, fits well to some modern playing. I felt like the crunch distortion had that "treble boost in front of the drive" feel and this is something a lot of players do these days smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2015, 12:09 AM
WELL SAID AGAIN!! I have to say yes!! smile.gif The CRUNCH distortion has a very nice bite and is very much worth using. It's one of the best distortions in the box. The "metal" distortion is fun but a pinch retro smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 6 2015, 08:18 AM) *
Yeah man! I even think that the kind of distortion that was in that ART, fits well to some modern playing. I felt like the crunch distortion had that "treble boost in front of the drive" feel and this is something a lot of players do these days smile.gif

They are all over EBAY and many EBAY folks ship INTERNATIONAL or sell right in sweden smile.gif You can get one in newish condition for under $100 with the footpedal!!! The price of a stomp box for a rack full of fx smile.gif Mine is listed here in the states for $59 including foot pedal.

QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Jan 6 2015, 08:14 AM) *
Thanks Todd biggrin.gif
As a young guitarist (17 years old) I literally had no idea that such a great sounding Multi-Effects Processor would exist to this price biggrin.gif
I am for sure interested in one of those after watching this video and will definitely look and see if I find any of those to a good price smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 7 2015, 12:22 AM
GMC Founder
Wow - the very first (distortion) preset sounds amazing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2015, 12:40 AM
Thanks! smile.gif It's a custom patch based on a stock patch. With a bit of tweaking, the stock patches are very workable! Not bad for a unit that costs less than $50 smile.gif I really dig vintage rack gear. I've got another bit of kit on the way, the DIGITECH VALVE FX rack unit. I get all nostalgic for this stuff smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 6 2015, 07:22 PM) *
Wow - the very first (distortion) preset sounds amazing!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 7 2015, 12:47 AM

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jan 16 2015, 06:20 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I especially like your fancy preset knob smile.gif

You've got me thinking about vintage guitar processors. It might be fun to try some out like you've done. Some of them command pretty hefty prices on ebay, maybe more than when they were new?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-SGX-2000-Expre...=item35e3035141

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-HR-GP5-Guitar...=item1e985c71d9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DigiTech-GSP-2101-...=item2c93a8a0d2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-GP-100-guit...=item1e982363f4

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2015, 06:43 PM
Yanked all the knobs and sliders off smile.gif Kidding, it actually came that way.

I gotta say it's been HUGE fun trying out old processors smile.gif Some of them, I always wanted to try and just never got around to it. Now, they are soooo cheap that it's a better bargain than going to see a movie and honestly more fun smile.gif

I'd say grab a cheap digitech 2120 or 2112, maybe one of the ART multi processors, also maybe the vox tone lab (the old blue one). The ones you picked are some of the highest prices I've ever seen on these. The digitech is a rare bird with the special colored face place which folks think means it can bill at double/triple wink.gif

I paid under $200 for my 2112 with the 2120 chip upgrade. Patience is a virtue on ebay smile.gif

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jan 16 2015, 01:20 PM) *
I especially like your fancy preset knob smile.gif

You've got me thinking about vintage guitar processors. It might be fun to try some out like you've done. Some of them command pretty hefty prices on ebay, maybe more than when they were new?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ART-SGX-2000-Expre...=item35e3035141

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-HR-GP5-Guitar...=item1e985c71d9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DigiTech-GSP-2101-...=item2c93a8a0d2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-GP-100-guit...=item1e982363f4

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 16 2015, 06:45 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 14 2015, 12:52 AM
I finally sold my SGX NITRO to fund the next thing smile.gif I've been keeping an eye on ebay and there are some very spiff ART processors for CHEAP!!!

Here is an SGX T2 (lot like my nitro, good for guitar)
*with a road case $89
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-SGE-Mach-ll-Su...60503&rt=nc

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:25 AM