> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

64 Pages V  « < 49 50 51 52 53 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 2 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #1001

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Phil, yeah, this sometimes happens. Don't worry, relax and do it when you are able to enjoy it. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 2 2016, 09:32 PM
Post #1002

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Thanks Gab,

I was having a practise last night (I got some sleep, I've been up most nights coughing mad.gif ) but it was tricky. I'm no wimp but this is one of those silly little cuts that hurt like crazy laugh.gif We had a small but heavy box delivered at work and when I slid my hands from under it to put it on the table something cut two of my fingers, my pinkie and the one in the picture. When we looked at the bottom of the box, there was a piece off the end of a Stanley knife (Trincheta) embedded in the cardboard.

It's very thin but quite deep. My problem is when I do that slide from the 19th fret on the E and B string, the e string keeps going into the cut so I'm trying to do it with my middle finger but it's a hard habit to break, I had blood all over the fretboard last night laugh.gif The double stop section gives me the same issue. Normally the strings don't go near here, but when playing quick double stop sections I don't have the accuracy to avoid it. Even on that 19th fret slide though, the edge of the fretboard gets in there rolleyes.gif I'm not being a big baby Gab, honest, it really frickin hurts blink.gif laugh.gif

This is how I see 2016. Let's hope 2017 is better eh?

I've also enrolled in this course. It's pretty good. It says it starts Dec 5th but you can start any time. It's free and the lectures aren't very long so it is good for me. I thought you should know wink.gif
https://www.coursera.org/learn/edinburgh-mu...theory#syllabus

Cheers Gab.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 2 2016, 10:09 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 3 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #1003

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, I'm sorry about your fingers! I know that it really hurts! It's time to read, and to learn more about theory, and maybe work with the other hand. Don't worry, the year is ending, a new year is coming and it will be great. smile.gif

That coursera thing is great! I think that maybe you can start it now since you can't play guitar. It's always useful to learn more about music, and when it's well structured, it's much better.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 4 2016, 09:33 PM
Post #1004

Thanks Gab,

It's healing up nicely, I've always healed quickly smile.gif

Jack White Lesson. 30 minutes bars 15-19 partial (Total time 485)

Ok Gab, I'm still struggling to remember the sequence, it doesn't come natural to me maybe because it doesn't really repeat, some double stops are played twice, some thrice and some four times but I will get it. I've posted a video, it's bars 15-19 but only the first four notes of 19. It's at half speed but I'd like you to look to see if there is anything I should put right before I get it up to speed? What I mean is, are there any bad habits developing on either hand?

Thanks buddy

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 5 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #1005

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! This is very promising. I don't find any issue regarding the notes played or the hands movement. The only detail that I'd like to mark is that your bending is not reaching the right pitch. If I'm not wrong, finger2 is not helping always the one that is bending and that's a very important help.

When practising this, remember to work on smaller blocks.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 6 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #1006

Thanks Gab,

Last night I had HUGE computer problems and on top of that my OneDrive cloud folder on my hard drive moved itself to a random location and caused a big problem. I've sorted it now but it stopped me from practicing. I just want 2016 out of the way. The back end of this year has been a nightmare.

One thing I have been doing is listening to the Jack White lesson a lot in my car. I can't make sense of the rhythm in the double stop section. To my ears, and I know, at the moment they aren't great, it sounds like a motif that is repeated twice whereas the TAB shows a different phrase each time. Whatever speed I play it at I can't get it to sound rhythmically the same. I've put the section I mean below. Please confirm that TAB matches the tune so that I am sure it's me doing something that needs attention. If it is me, any tips would be great. Maybe you can hear where I might be getting confused?

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/confused

Thanks GAB, all being well I'll be back on it tonight.

UPDATE: Tonight 6th December:

Still can't get the sound of the phrases. Also got stuck trying to sort THIS. It can only help if I can get it working.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 6 2016, 10:04 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 7 2016, 02:01 PM
Post #1007

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, I'm checking the guitar pro file and I think that the part that is giving trouble is precise compared with the main video. However, when I play it in the slow version, there is a very little difference which is not relevant but that can confuse, so please work directly with the guitar pro. The confusion appears because the accent (notes changes) there is not going 4/4, it's a bit irregular, so that's why you feel the licks like "progressive" while we are still in 4/4. The best way to learn this part is to sing it first, sing it over the lesson, sing it alone over metronome and once you know how it should sound, you'll be able to play it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 7 2016, 03:01 PM
Post #1008

Thanks Gab,

Yeah I've been singing the rhythmic detail (not in tune I can't do that yet laugh.gif ) along with the lesson in the car but then when I listen to myself, even along with the GP5 it is different, in my head anyway.

I can see that there are the same amount of strums in each section (15 double stops in the TAB). I've put a SoundCloud file below with the rhythm that my ears are hearing. Maybe by listening to this you will be able to point me in the right direction again if you can see/hear what I'm hearing. It's driving me insane because that rhythm I'm getting in my head is what I can't replicate when I play the 15 double stops. mad.gif
This is only muted strumming to clearly define the rhythm in my head. How can I break out of this?
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/confused-2-muted
I'm not going to let this beat me!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your patience mate. Hopefully this BIG struggle will get me to do more level 3 lessons.

I'm enjoying my theory course too, it never ever dawned on me that a minor 2nd is a semi tone and a major 2nd is a whole tone, or that a minor 3rd is 3 semitones and a Major 3rd is 4 semitones. It's funny how, when these things are explained in a different way, and you look at a piano keyboard, the penny drops and you think "Why didn't I ever realise that before????????"

Cheers buddy

UPDATE 8th December 2016:

Oh man, had emergency DIY repairs to do this evening. Can't afford to leave a leaking pipe mad.gif These things always take longer than you expect so nothing at all was done tonight relating to music mad.gif On to of that, because of the unusual contorted twisted positions I was in I've stained a muscle in my lower back and one in my upper back mad.gif

Another thing, I'm not here for the weekend so Saturday night and possibly Sunday night there will be no practise. Sorry about all this Gab, the last few months have been crazy.

Cheers bud.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 8 2016, 11:26 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 9 2016, 06:11 AM
Post #1009

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, I'm just back from a Cirse's gig. I'll think on any way to that can help you to clarify this part. I'll prepare an audio or video that I think that could help you. In the meantime, keep on listening to the main audio, and slow it down, divide it in small blocks. The more you can get by yourself, without extra help, the more your ear will be trained.

Great to know that you are learning new stuff about theory. This will definitely help you with your playing. since it usually clarifies what we hear and play.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 9 2016, 08:32 AM
Post #1010

Thanks Gab,

That's very kind of you to create an audio smile.gif

How did the gig go? Was it out of town? New audience?

I've been listening very hard and I think that what "blurs" my hearing when listening to you play rather than the GP5 file is some of the notes sound like you slide to them. I wonder if this could be confusing my ear compared to the GP5 file.

We'll crack it mate wink.gif The hardest challenges teach you the most no matter how long they take, they also develop more self discipine because you've taken the extra time and determination to nail it wink.gif

Cheers buddy

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 9 2016, 08:32 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 9 2016, 05:35 PM
Post #1011

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 9 2016, 04:32 AM) *
Thanks Gab,

That's very kind of you to create an audio smile.gif

How did the gig go? Was it out of town? New audience?

I've been listening very hard and I think that what "blurs" my hearing when listening to you play rather than the GP5 file is some of the notes sound like you slide to them. I wonder if this could be confusing my ear compared to the GP5 file.

We'll crack it mate wink.gif The hardest challenges teach you the most no matter how long they take, they also develop more self discipine because you've taken the extra time and determination to nail it wink.gif

Cheers buddy

Phil

yeah, there is something related to slides that are not intentional but that are generated because of the speed of the part, it's like an effect.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 9 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #1012

OK Gab,

I've just watched your lesson video, (I'm doing more watching than playing at the moment laugh.gif ) I played the "problem" section very slow. I slowed down your full speed part to very slow and I can see that you are playing what the TAB says. I'm going to practise it using just one string for now, not double stops, do you think this approach is ok?

I've stopped logging my time on this lesson now, we can just say "very long" biggrin.gif

Cheers Phil

UPDATE:

[b]I just played along with you very slow and got close. I'm not at home at the weekend but I'll try to get back early enough on Sunday to practise this some more. I think I'm finally getting somewhere.[/b] smile.gif I'm going to keep playing along with you very slowly and then speed it up. Once I don't need to watch you to follow you I'll switch to Reaper. That VLC Media player is very user friendly and you can't set loops.

Please hold out on doing that audio thing for me, I'm going to try to get this myself.

Cheers Gab.

PS If the update looks close to the original post time, that's because I forgot to post it in the first place so it was just sitting there while I practised laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 9 2016, 10:20 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 10 2016, 04:52 PM
Post #1013

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey mate, that sounds great! I'm glad to hear that you are going to try to learn it by yourself. As I always say, it's the best way to train your ear.

Enjoy it!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 11 2016, 10:35 PM
Post #1014

Hello Gab,

Well got back too late to practise but had a great weekend smile.gif I was listening to my theory course via my phone, the circle of 5ths (4ths the other way around) has blown me away. Very very very interesting, I've even been boring my wife with it.

Father Christmas Gave Dad An Electric Blanket F,C,G,D,A,E,B

Blanket Exploded Dad Got Cold Feet B,E,A,D,G,C,F

Brilliant smile.gif

Back on it tomorrow, works Christmas party Tuesday so no practice, should be clear then for a while and I know you have a vacation coming up so we go with the flow for now.

Cheers buddy

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 12 2016, 04:14 AM
Post #1015

Instructor
Group Icon

hahaha that sounds great! I love music theory and it's really cool to know that you are enjoying the course. Keep going!!

Yes, I'll be on vacation from December 20th to 28th, so we have plan what you'll do during that week.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 12 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #1016

Thanks Gab,

Well, as the Jack White lesson is taking me so long, maybe you could select a new classic rock song for me to learn.

The Jack White lesson is giving me a lot of challenges, I'm having to increase my speed ability, integrate open chords with single note playing and move around the neck a lot (2nd fret to 22nd fret) with speed and accuracy. It's probably the most challenging thing I've tried.

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 12 2016, 09:51 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 12 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #1017

Instructor
Group Icon

What about this one?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 12 2016, 09:12 PM
Post #1018

Thanks Gab,

I've never been a big Judas Priest fan but I think this will give some good practise with driving single note rhythms. The solo will not be achievable though laugh.gif Which part should I learn, KK's or Glen's. I've attached the GP5 file for you to look at because I'm confused as to which parts to learn. There are two sections for each guitarist.

Attached File  Judas_Priest___Breaking_The_Law__guitar_pro_.gp5 ( 64.33K ) Number of downloads: 8

I could get some first hand advice with this if I had the nerve. One of my long term customers is a friend of K.K Downing, he has been to his house HERE and recorded with him. His house is only about a 30 minute drive from me. My friend once invited me to go there and jam with him and KK, I just wouldn't have been able to do it, I would have frozen solid, I had to politely decline the offer unsure.gif . KK turned his "front garden" into a world class golf course. If you go HERE and click on the gallery section you will see some pics of KK smile.gif

Jack White Lesson. Time spent: EONS!!

Here is the double stop section, slowly played. How does it sound to you?. Obviously it will be smoother with practise and the sliding thing will come as I speed it up but is it rhythmically close? I'm singing this in my sleep, I wake up with it going around my head laugh.gif
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-double-stop-section-slow

Thanks for your help Gab.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 12 2016, 09:47 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Dec 14 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #1019

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil,

I would go for Glen Tipton (Track 3) since it includes the most recognisable part of the riff. However, when playing the "Coro A", maybe you'll want to mix it with Downing 14 14 chord to make it more fun, but it's ok if you just stay with Glen's part. It's up to you.

The rhythm of Jack White's solo is ok now! Great job. smile.gif

That link to Downing's Golf place is very cool! I had no idea about this. It's nice to see that he could have his own place for his second passion where he can place, and at the same time offer courses. It's very curious. Go for a pic with him!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Dec 14 2016, 09:35 PM
Post #1020

Thanks for the advice Gab,

I'm glad the rhythm for Jack White is finally right, just got to get it up to speed now and also re-learn the other bits (I've neglected them a little by trying to sort this out), then it's the final single note run and upping the speed and polishing for REC.

The customer that knows KK used to be a session guitarist in London in the 60's, in his later life he got into motorsport and engine building. He retired last year, I haven't seen him for a while but I would feel too cheeky calling him to arrange a meeting with KK for a pic, I'm not that kinda bloke unsure.gif and I just know they would ask me to jam and I would go to pieces. His name is John Beattie, his engine web site is HERE He gets a music related mention HERE in the section about The Bossmen and, HERE in the first section about The Ides OF March (not to be confused with the Ides Of March who broke up and Jim Peterik formed Survivor wink.gif )

Sorry for the musical history lesson Gab smile.gif

I'm on it again now, had a great night last night with the lads from work smile.gif

Cheers buddy

UPDATE

Breaking the Law. 10 minutes:
Got the first 10 bars down (single note rhythm) at 100% speed. I'm looking forward to this one smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 14 2016, 10:18 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

64 Pages V  « < 49 50 51 52 53 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2017 - 07:59 AM