> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

67 Pages V  « < 54 55 56 57 58 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 20 2017, 01:19 PM
Post #1101

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Phil,

I'd like to see a short video of you playing the part to see the problem in order to cover this in future exercises or lessons. From what I understand this can be a hand sync issue when crossing strings, so the crossing strings lessons from my ITC could help, as well as some scale run exercises.

Congrats on the new headphones, that's a great brand.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Feb 20 2017, 10:12 PM
Post #1102

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello Gab,

I've done a quick recording for you. It's a good day for this as I am pretty stressed so I'm not playing very well. One of my main workers fell over today at work and broke his wrist, I've not long got back from visiting him. He is ok but cannot work for at least 6 weeks, his wrist bone completely snapped, so on top of worrying about him I also have to wonder what the coming weeks will be like. Every single component we produce is worked on by this man at least once, sometimes two or three times so he is essential. Everyone else, obviously has their own work so it looks like arranging extra hours and weekends to cover him and trying to share some of it with others. It all has to work with schedules and processes so it's not going to be easy.

I noticed in this video that sometimes I don't start with an upstroke on the lick in question, I think it's just down to the stress of today. I'm normally pretty strict at starting with an upstroke as you do in the video. Anyway, I play it a different speeds and sometimes play the lick before just to give you a few examples.

UPDATE: 21st Feb:
Watching this through my lunch time, I can see that this is probably the worst I have played it for a while. Stress highlights your weak areas so it is probably a good thing that you can see me play it with this state of mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hb4ML66Phc

Thanks Gab,

I'll keep you informed of my current situation regarding practise. Hopefully we can sort something out for temporary measures and I can still keep my practise going.

UPDATE 2. 21st Feb 2017

I recorded a video tonight but the video file was corrupt for some reason. When it loaded into Movie Maker it showed frames of exclamation marks in a triangle mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Here is the soundfile from it anyway. I ran out of time to do another video.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-1

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 21 2017, 09:59 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 22 2017, 01:20 PM
Post #1103

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, I'm sorry about your worker. I hope that he gets well soon, and that you can continue with your work the smoother possible.

That video was really helpful. I can see that the main issue happens when you cross from string 5 to 4. There, you have to do "outside" picking, and it seems that this way of crossing is not smooth for you yet. There are special exercises that you can do as complementary works to this. But you need to know that alternate picking on lower strings is usually more difficult so you need to also work the complementary exercises on this group of strings.

Check the crossing strings, and outside picking lessons HERE.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Feb 22 2017, 03:21 PM
Post #1104

Thanks Gab,

I'll be on those lessons as much as possible.

What did you think of the Soundcloud file? I know the open chords still need to be more accurate, I think the unwanted noise is being muted a little bit better now.

Here is a quick video, unplugged, video cam mic only, I was really short on time sad.gif I might try this on my acoustic for extra training due to the higher action and string tension. Do you think that will help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6sJU472nPo

Cheers buddy

UPDATE 23rd February:

Work has been ok, the lads have really rallied around for me, I've also had my two main managers away this week so it's been great to see the lads pull together as a team to help out smile.gif

Another take of the JW lesson:
Obviously I need more time with the crossing strings exercises, I think the unwanted noise is better now, I think the 9th fret bends sound terrible, I need to work on those more, they aren't controlled very well at all but that whole 9th fret bend section doesn't sound quite as rushed as before. I've experimented with the tone a bit too.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white-23rd-feb-2017

My favourite phrase in both sound and execution is below, I love playing that part and it took me ages to get the legato style, I know it's not perfect but I do like it smile.gif

----12br--10------------------------------|
-------------12-10------------------------|
-------------------11-10-9-10-9-7-9-7-9b--|
------------------------------------------|

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 23 2017, 10:30 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 24 2017, 01:22 AM
Post #1105

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, the new take is on the way, but it obviously needs more work. It's too soon to see results from the exercises work but it's great to see that you already incorporated the exercises into your routine.

I've checked the quick vid and it's ok, but I recommend you to try to make the right hand movement smaller when crossing strings.

Check out this inspiring video clinic:

You'll find some of the first exercises shared helpful (these are also part of the ITC, you'll find them there too).

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Feb 24 2017, 10:18 PM
Post #1106

Thanks for that Gab,

I am not going to be here tomorrow but will be back on Sunday.

Paul Gilbert is immense. I remember a video of him tapping rhythms out on his legs and then playing licks with the same rhythm. very interesting. I'll be working on your exercises in the next days.

I notice that Paul plays with more movement when he plays slower than when he plays faster. I find that my hand moves the same amount whether I'm playing "fast" or slow, this will take some time to control but I will work on it.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 25 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #1107

Instructor
Group Icon

Yes, the only way to play at that speed is by making the movement really small. Then, once you are able to play with that kind of movement, it's not difficult to make it less small when playing slow in order (to keep the timing, and to have more dynamics control).

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Feb 26 2017, 09:54 PM
Post #1108

Ok Gab, (There is an update with three videos at the end of this post)

We're back from our mini break. Got back a little bit later than expected but managed a short practice with the exercises. I didn't realise how much my hand was moving on these takes until I watched them back, it certainly felt like it was moving much less than it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yayH1dvupDA

In this exercise it looks like I'm moving less on the bass strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA_XBGZtots

Nothing to do with our lessons but it is about music I guess wink.gif On the way home today we had lunch in the location of a famous English nursery rhyme. You need to read the inscription on the bottom of each pic to get the rhyme. These were actually taken at Banbury Cross;)

You never know, you might get inspiration from the song wink.gif The strangest things can happen smile.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch7cA6q6FU4

Cheers buddy

UPDATE:

Ok, I had another go at minimising hand movement. It's a real struggle but I'll carry on. I discovered something very bad tonight and I'm hoping I can fix it, it is terrible. I've actually posted in the Practise Room in case others have the same issue. I don't know how to fix it really as it seems involuntary, I've tried really really slowly and it still happens, it's like an invisible thread pulling my finger up. I tried just doing the A and E string part and it still does it. It's worse going from high to low than low to high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9PFPAyQtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5umINck5OwY

Here goes the crazy tarantula finger!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKmGeVQH0sk

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 27 2017, 09:50 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Feb 28 2017, 01:46 AM
Post #1109

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil!

Nice to know that you enjoyed your days out! I also took some days out of the city. We have some holidays because of the carnival here but I'll be back home tomorrow.

My connection is really slow here so I just did a quick check on your guitar vids. I can say that your right hand looks much better on the last videos. That's exactly what you need to continue practising. And from what I can see on your tarantula vid, this is a good excuse to adjust your left hand movements as well. You need to make those fingers to stay closer to the fret board when playing this type of exercises.

Also, please don't stay to much on the first exercises of the ITC. Try to move to the following exercises which could be even more effective than the first ones. Even the "Inside" and "Outside" ones (the last ones) are essential at this point of your practice.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Feb 28 2017, 09:58 PM
Post #1110

Thanks Gab,

I'm working on the Lesson 11 exercises now https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43577 is that ok? Also, over in the practise room Mertay and Monkey have given me some exercises to combat Tarantula finger smile.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 1 2017, 01:21 AM
Post #1111

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! Yes, that's perfect! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 1 2017, 11:20 PM
Post #1112

Thanks Gab

No time to practice on my normal work tonight but I did a rough jam for the Fuzzy collab, a few mistakes but it is what it is wink.gif

Cheers buddy

PS: I think the last picture from Banbury Cross would make a great album cover with some added art work. The phrase "music wherever she goes" is pure class wink.gif

Cheers buddy

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 1 2017, 11:25 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 2 2017, 09:02 PM
Post #1113

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, thanks for the update! I'll check your take for the collab!

PS: Yeah! That would be a a great cover!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 2 2017, 09:50 PM
Post #1114

Ok Gab,

I've been working on my tarantula finger and also my string crossing. This video is painfully slow but can you just check that I've got the fingering correct please.

I think the tarantula finger could be caused by years of pentatonic noodling using 1,4,1,3,1,3,1,3,1,4,1,4 fingering meaning that the middle (tarantula) finger has always had to keep out of the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm9c2PdNcpI

I'm still working on the Jack White lesson but I feel it won't improve to 100% speed until I've trained my left hand problems and my left/right hand sync. What do you think?

Cheers buddy

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 3 2017, 05:02 PM
Post #1115

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil,

Your left hand looks better on this new vid. There is more room to economize even more the movement, but this is going on the right track. Please continue working at this tempo, trying to move even less the fingers / hand. At this point the movement should be exaggerated small to get familiar to it.

I can assure that you won't play it at 100% but polishing your left hand issue is a must and it will definitely affect your overall playing, so keep working!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 3 2017, 06:15 PM
Post #1116

Thanks Gab,

I'll keep working but why don't you think I'll do the Jack White lesson at 100%? sad.gif

Here is the latest try at the exercise 11. I'm sticking with this one at the moment because my problem seems to be more on the bass strings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73TsT5mpCR0

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 4 2017, 10:11 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 4 2017, 10:11 PM
Post #1117

Hello Gab,

Update to the post above that I don't think you've seen yet so please view that first wink.gif

I've moved up to 60bpm on the exercise, I've noticed another issue, I noticed it when watching, I didn't hear it, on the bass strings my finger is bending the string slightly. Is there something wrong with how I am positioning my hand? or is it due to lack of flexibility at the moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTWJmixLC5Y

There is something in your cloud Gab, it's the latest album from a friends punk band. They are called Spirit Bomb, my friend is the bass player. He is also the bass player in Drongos For Europe, a fine UK Punk band.
I've sent you a message with your access code in smile.gif Let me know what you think smile.gif The current drummer is the brother of the singer in Charged GBH, one of the finest uk punk bands ever.

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE 5th March 2017:

Hello Gab,

I've been working hard on stopping that involuntary string bending. Here is this morning's take, the notes aren't clean because I'm concentrating so hard on the other stuff. The right hand is still moving too much I think but I was mainly thinking about the left hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYair5wGSI4

Let me know what you advise next please buddy, more speed? Less speed? Different exercise?

Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 5 2017, 01:13 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 5 2017, 06:46 PM
Post #1118

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 3 2017, 02:15 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

I'll keep working but why don't you think I'll do the Jack White lesson at 100%? sad.gif

Here is the latest try at the exercise 11. I'm sticking with this one at the moment because my problem seems to be more on the bass strings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73TsT5mpCR0

Cheers buddy

Ups! I wanted to say "I can't assure" and in was to say that the fact that you are working on your right hand issue will help you to master the lesson, but that maybe you would be able to master the lesson even before fixing that issue. I hope that it's clear now.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 4 2017, 06:11 PM) *
Hello Gab,

Update to the post above that I don't think you've seen yet so please view that first wink.gif

I've moved up to 60bpm on the exercise, I've noticed another issue, I noticed it when watching, I didn't hear it, on the bass strings my finger is bending the string slightly. Is there something wrong with how I am positioning my hand? or is it due to lack of flexibility at the moment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTWJmixLC5Y

There is something in your cloud Gab, it's the latest album from a friends punk band. They are called Spirit Bomb, my friend is the bass player. He is also the bass player in Drongos For Europe, a fine UK Punk band.
I've sent you a message with your access code in smile.gif Let me know what you think smile.gif The current drummer is the brother of the singer in Charged GBH, one of the finest uk punk bands ever.

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE 5th March 2017:

Hello Gab,

I've been working hard on stopping that involuntary string bending. Here is this morning's take, the notes aren't clean because I'm concentrating so hard on the other stuff. The right hand is still moving too much I think but I was mainly thinking about the left hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYair5wGSI4

Let me know what you advise next please buddy, more speed? Less speed? Different exercise?

Cheers smile.gif

Hi Phil, thanks for the link to the album. I'll check it during the week. (Today I have another gig with Cirse so there is not too much time)

I think that the problem cna be the thumb of your left hand. You don't keep it at the middle of the other 4 fingers when playing. It's keeps on your left when you go to higher frets and that makes the stretch more difficult. Does it make sense? Try it and let me know what happens.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Mar 5 2017, 09:40 PM
Post #1119

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 5 2017, 05:46 PM) *
Ups! I wanted to say "I can't assure" and in was to say that the fact that you are working on your right hand issue will help you to master the lesson, but that maybe you would be able to master the lesson even before fixing that issue. I hope that it's clear now.

Thanks Gab, it knocked the wind out of my sails when I read "I can assure that you won't play it at 100%". I felt sick, I think I'll get there though, I know I need to relax much much more. I was talking to Kris today in the livestream and whenever I have a problem he always says that tension is a big part of it. I've been neglecting the Jack White recently trying to improve my left and right hand rolleyes.gif

Hi Phil, thanks for the link to the album. I'll check it during the week. (Today I have another gig with Cirse so there is not too much time)

Enjoy your gig mate. My friend's band isn't technical, in the old tradition of punk rock they just got a band together and made some noise. It would be nice to see what you think though wink.gif

I think that the problem can be the thumb of your left hand. You don't keep it at the middle of the other 4 fingers when playing. It's keeps on your left when you go to higher frets and that makes the stretch more difficult. Does it make sense? Try it and let me know what happens.

Thanks Gab,

I never noticed that before, I think that what is happening as I "improve" is that my weak points and bad habits are being highlighted and, as they have taken years to become established they are hard to correct but it's all good and I'm enjoying my lessons more than ever, until you tell me I'll never be able to play a lesson at full speed, then I hate it laugh.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 5 2017, 09:40 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Mar 6 2017, 02:21 PM
Post #1120

Instructor
Group Icon

hahaha things can be exactly the opposite by forgetting one letter in this language!! hahaha I'm sorry mate. laugh.gif

It's interesting to read this:

"I never noticed that before, I think that what is happening as I "improve" is that my weak points and bad habits are being highlighted and, as they have taken years to become established they are hard to correct but it's all good and I'm enjoying my lessons more than ever,"

Can't agree more. Keep on the great job mate!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

67 Pages V  « < 54 55 56 57 58 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 08:36 PM