> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

69 Pages V  « < 64 65 66 67 68 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
post Sep 20 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #1301

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello Gab,

Just letting you know I'm still working hard with the alternate picking lesson. I know it all now and can play the whole piece at 60% speed, I still get mixed up sometimes with some of the sequences but that's not what this is about. I can play the first 8 bars at around 75-80% speed.

The Kotzen lick is coming along very slowly.

I'll try to get a video to you in the next day or two.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 21 2017, 04:04 PM
Post #1302

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

That's excellent Phil. Thanks for the update. Keep the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 21 2017, 09:03 PM
Post #1303

Hello Gab,

I tried to record tonight but the forces were against me, sorry. Maybe you can help? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry752128

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:

I sorted it out.

Off to Wimbledon ( http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/museum_and_tours/index.html ) tomorrow, don't know what time I'll be back but definitely will be practising on Sunday smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 22 2017, 09:15 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 23 2017, 05:13 AM
Post #1304

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! Great to know that you could solve that issue.

Have a great time!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 25 2017, 10:08 PM
Post #1305

Hello Gab,

Here are a couple of videos. The first is me attempting target speed of 140bpm for bars 1-8 on the alternate picking lesson. I know it's not perfect but I'm quite happy. I didn't have too much gain as it masks a lot of the issues and feels like cheating but having no gain makes it sound awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDsvSyfc8pI

I tried to do the complete piece at 60% (84bpm) but I kept having pick slipping problems, the pick was turning in my fingers, I don't normally get this problem but I had to give up, so tomorrow I will give you that video. I think it might be best to show you at a speed where it isn't all comfortable so you can see problem areas rather than something that is an easy speed for me as that won't show issues.

Here is the Kotzen lick but I've moved it to the high E as it is a bit easier, then I can go to the B, and then the G as my hand strengthens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ladcN-V2opI

Cheers Gab

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 26 2017, 02:11 PM
Post #1306

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! Thanks for the videos!

Things are going really well! Your hands really needed this exercises and I continue notying that you are getting more and more comfortable to this stuff. This will have a big impact in your overall playing so please keep going!

The main thing to adjust in both videos is timing. You are going before the beat with the picking exercise, which sounds a bit "hurried". Regarding the Kotzen lick, please have in mind that it's build with triplets, so each note should have the same duration and it should be a regular group of 2 triplets.

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 26 2017, 02:41 PM
Post #1307

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 26 2017, 02:11 PM) *
Hi Phil! Thanks for the videos!

Things are going really well! Your hands really needed this exercises and I continue notying that you are getting more and more comfortable to this stuff. This will have a big impact in your overall playing so please keep going!

The main thing to adjust in both videos is timing. You are going before the beat with the picking exercise, which sounds a bit "hurried". Regarding the Kotzen lick, please have in mind that it's build with triplets, so each note should have the same duration and it should be a regular group of 2 triplets.

Does it make sense?

Thanks Gab,

It makes perfect sense. I sensed that I am rushing but that's why I posted a video of a speed that is challenging for me as the challenge highlights the problem areas wink.gif

The triplet thing makes perfect sense but my fingers are a little bit spasmodic at the moment with the Kotzen lick. I'm sure once they relax with the stretch the timing will come. I'm thinking of putting a very slow metronome on in 3/4 time to represent the triplets and following it. I know 3/4 time isn't triplet but it will give me a reference point if I emphasize the first beat and play on the other beats too. Does that make sense?

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 26 2017, 03:04 PM
Post #1308

Instructor
Group Icon

Yes! The metronome idea would really work!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 27 2017, 10:51 PM
Post #1309

Thanks Gab,

I think the metronome in 3/4 will be useful too smile.gif

Here is a video I meant to post last night but I had some issues. It's at half speed but it is every bar. I'm a bit miffed because I did so well remembering it all and then I went and fluffed a note in the last couple of bars. These things are hard to remember I find as there is no melody but it is what it is.

Please let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Y59G9dl6I

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 28 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #1310

Instructor
Group Icon

heheh that's awesome Phil!! Congrats on playing the whole thing mate! I've smiled of happiness when you've reached to the end. smile.gif

Keep on practicing this!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 28 2017, 08:27 PM
Post #1311

Thanks Gab,

You may have smiled but I was savage mad.gif I got it wrong in the last two bars! After getting all the way through it, I went and cocked it up at the end rolleyes.gif

I've decided that whatever happens, I will keep this as my warm up forever, I enjoy it smile.gif

I managed the whole thing at 60% (84bpm) tonight, and bars 9-12 (the two notes per fret part) at 80% (112bpm), I can play the first 8 bars at 100% (140bpm) a bit scruffily it needs polishing. I'm going to start increasing the speed on the whole thing slowly each session, then concentrate on polishing 1-8, then increase 9-12 until I can get that to 100% then move on to the next sequence. Does this sound ok to you?

I'm going to Cala d'Or on Saturday morning, leaving for the airport tomorrow afternoon and will be back Saturday 7th October. cool.gif

Cheers

Speak soon

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 28 2017, 09:31 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 29 2017, 02:33 PM
Post #1312

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 28 2017, 04:27 PM) *
I managed the whole thing at 60% (84bpm) tonight, and bars 9-12 (the two notes per fret part) at 80% (112bpm), I can play the first 8 bars at 100% (140bpm) a bit scruffily it needs polishing. I'm going to start increasing the speed on the whole thing slowly each session, then concentrate on polishing 1-8, then increase 9-12 until I can get that to 100% then move on to the next sequence. Does this sound ok to you?

Yes! Go for it!

Enjoy your journey mate! Europe is full of beatiful places. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 7 2017, 08:06 PM
Post #1313

Hello Gab,

Well I'm back, we will have to see how it goes in these early days as I have come home to find a message on the answerphone, my mom is in hospital again sad.gif Hopefully it will be one of those short stays. I had missed visiting hours today but will go and see her tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed. From what I have been told by her husband, (my stepfather) she is ok, just very tired. You know the back story to all of this via PM.

Speak soon buddy.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 7 2017, 08:10 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Oct 9 2017, 02:27 PM
Post #1314

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! I'm sorry about it. I hope that she feels better soon.

Keep me updated friend.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 9 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #1315

Thanks Gab,

We went to see her yesterday, we got home too late for visiting on Saturday, she was rushed in on Friday. The message was left on the answer machine on Saturday morning when we were travelling home. She isn't very well but it isn't life threatenting. It is the same as sha had at the end of last year and through the early months of this year. It's crazy, because her first attack last year was exactly the same week, almost to the day. I hope this isn't the start of another series of these attacks where she ends up in hospital 10 times and they never get to the bottom of it.

Unfortunately, visiting hours directly coincide with my practice time available but I'll do my best. I had a little go at my altrnate picking lesson last night and was pleased that I hadn't forgotten any of it, I wasn't as quick but it was still in my head wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Oct 10 2017, 04:23 PM
Post #1316

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, I hope that she is getting better. That coincidence on days is curious, I wonder if these dates are related to any bad old memories of her.

Don't worry about your routine, take care of your mother. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 12 2017, 09:06 PM
Post #1317

Thanks Gab,

She is getting better due to the large doses of antibiotics. She might have to have a big operation to prevent it keep happening. She has a hiatus hernia and this is causing food particles to get into her lungs and go bad which causes Aspiration pnuemonia.

Tonight I worked on the alternate picking lesson. Trying to get the secong section (2 notes per fret) quicker. I also worked on the whole thing in a standing position until my shoulder started aching. I didn't do too badly standing up, better than I thought. I always finish with a much slower tempo to tell my brain how it should be executed correctly. This is after I've pushed myself with higher speeds.

I also had a work on the Kotzen lick, very slowly, trying to get my feel for it.

Cheers Gab,

Speak soon smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Oct 13 2017, 12:14 AM
Post #1318

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, thanks for the update.

I think that it's good to know what's the reason why she is feeling back and that it can be treated. Fingers crossed that everything is solved soon.

It's also nice to know that you are getting back to practice. Please take some days to get those fingers in shape and share a new take here.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Oct 15 2017, 09:13 PM
Post #1319

Thanks Gab,

We decided last minute to have a micro holiday this weekend so I didn't practise last night. Had a great night in a restaurant and in the bar later with the locals down in THIS part of the country.

Tonight I managed to get the second section (2 notes per fret) of the alternate picking lesson up to 80% speed so it is definitely coming along. I'm going to continue pushing the whole thing for more speed but also work along the sections. At the moment, section one (4 notes per fret is at 100%, and as I said, section 2 is at 80%, I can play the whole thing at 60% obviously limited by the trickier parts. I'll aim for 65% tomorrow for the whole thing and 85% for section 2.
Once section 2 is up to 100% I'll work on section 3 and still try to increase speed for the whole piece.

I hope this is ok with you. I'm still working hard on the Kotzen lick, very hard for me though. With my metronome set to 3/4 time at 150 bpm I can play it one note per beat, after 5 minutes though, I start to get cramp in my hand.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 15 2017, 09:30 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Oct 16 2017, 04:20 PM
Post #1320

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! That's a beautiful place! Enjoy your journey! smile.gif

I think that your work on both AP and Kotzen exercises are going on the right track, and like I've said before, it will have a good impact in your playing, so keep working.

I know that the Kotzen lick is tricky, but it's extremely effective, even while it's not sounding tight yet.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

69 Pages V  « < 64 65 66 67 68 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2017 - 12:04 AM