> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

53 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 22 2015, 01:04 AM
Post #161

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Great Phil, I'm enjoying this journey together, thanks for letting me be part of it. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 22 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #162

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Absolutely thank YOU, you are a great human being cool.gif

Ok, I need to get some of my limited skills back in the Rock Pop solo and also the Fu Manchu. I should get a video to REC by Friday for the Rock Pop solo but do you want me to post it here first? The Fu Manchu is evolving slowly at a slower speed than the original, it's a little quick for me at full speed so I want to master it ALL at a slower speed first then, once it is in my fingers I will increase the speed and hopefully get it to the REC zone.

Tonight I did my ear training and I did a little track for the Tone Workshop.

One small problem, I am in Spain from 1st-9th April so will lose skill again but life has to be lived eh?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

AWARD

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 23 2015, 06:34 PM
Post #163

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! Great stuff and nice phrase! Life has to be lived... and also we must run risks if we want to achieve goals and dreams.. so let's go for the REC without checking it first! smile.gif

I hope to see your take at REC tomorrow.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 23 2015, 06:53 PM
Post #164

Thanks Gab, Maybe Cirse could do a song called "Life has to be Lived" wink.gif

--------------------

AWARD

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 23 2015, 08:06 PM
Post #165

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 23 2015, 02:53 PM) *
Thanks Gab, Maybe Cirse could do a song called "Life has to be Lived" wink.gif

Or maybe we should do a GMC collab with this name, and every guitarist playing from his favorite place in town... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 23 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #166

Great but it might be a bit wild biggrin.gif

Just posting to REC smile.gif

Trying to post to youtube but stuck in processing sad.gif

Finally sorted, video in REC zone smile.gif

Wow! This is a crazy post laugh.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 23 2015, 10:44 PM

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 24 2015, 07:59 PM
Post #167

Instructor
Group Icon

Great! I'll check it in a moment! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 24 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #168

Thanks for you comments on REC Gab,

I know the timing went way off in places, I was concentrating on my bends and then at one point I noticed I was rushing and tried to pull the timing back but didn't manage it. I think a lot of my problems, apart from the bending, is that I have noodled with no direction for years and my fingers have picked up some very bad habits like one finger bending and vibrato. They will take time to fix but I will get there eventually.
At least I have started to notice that my bends are off pitch, it's just developing the skill to get them to pitch by ear and within the timing of the beats that I need to master. I find it odd that I can tell the bends aren't at the correct pitch but struggle to get them there rolleyes.gif

Cheers Gab.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 24 2015, 08:46 PM

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 25 2015, 05:35 PM
Post #169

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! yeah, these are great news. Now you are focused and working on the necessary things to take your playing to the next level. I feel that you are on the right track now so keep on the hard work. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 25 2015, 08:36 PM
Post #170

Thanks for your advice Gab.

Here's another go. Can you see any improvement anywhere at all?

I'm really really struggling with bar 16 in the FuManchu lesson,
Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 26 2015, 09:49 AM

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 26 2015, 02:38 PM
Post #171

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, yes! I really note improvements on the three elements that I marked and said that you had to work. I notice more bends on pitch, tighter playing and your vibrato a bit more consistent. There is still work to do since there are still bends that don't hit the pitch but it's just a matter of time and practice, the progress can be noted. You are doing a good job.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 26 2015, 02:45 PM
Post #172

Thanks Gab,

Would that score higher in REC? I'm keen to move on but not until I've scored a pass. Obviously I'm not going to get it as good as the teacher but I hope to get it good enough for a pass at my level.

Cheers

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 26 2015, 02:48 PM
Post #173

Instructor
Group Icon

I think that it's around 7.5 so maybe it passes maybe not, it's really close.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 26 2015, 02:59 PM
Post #174

Thanks Gab,
I'll keep trying, it would be good if I can improve enough to pass before I go to Spain then when I come back we can pick a new solo. I'm still struggling with Fu Manchu rolleyes.gif it's bar 16 that I'm stuck at. Just can't get it. Hopefully one of these times it will just happen.

Ear training answers. I struggled a little bit working out the intervals. I didn't know what key they were in, for instance I'm sure #1 is a major 3rd because of the fret position but in A Major but when I looked at the scale generator I noticed that there is no C in A Major. This is why I have put the notes in brackets so that you can explain if I have got the interval name wrong but got the correct notes. I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

1: Major 3rd (G# C)
2: Perfect 5th (D A)
3: Major 3rd (G cool.gif
4: Octave (C# C#)
5: Major 3rd (F# A#)
6: Perfect 4th (D# A#) This one confused me. I had to detune my low E to match the low note and I used the chord generator to find that C# Major has both of these notes in.
7: Octave (B cool.gif
8: Major 3rd (B D#)
9: Perfect 5th (G# D)
10: Major 3rd (F A)

I think I have matched the notes ok but not sure if I have worked out all of the intervals correctly. This took most of my lesson time tonight with all of the cross checking to find out which scales had the notes in so I could work out the interval. I know on some we can check back to the diagram in the 2nd assignment but not all. It was good fun though and hopefully the sound of the intervals will get into our heads so we won't have to cross check with diagrams wink.gif I did recognise a couple of the Major 3rds right away but still didn't have the confidence to enter the answer without checking biggrin.gif

It's all good.

Thanks for this workshop Gab, it's great.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 26 2015, 09:21 PM

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 27 2015, 03:56 PM
Post #175

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! Good job with the intervals! It's great to see how your ear is being polished with the pass of the assignments. This is not an easy task, and you did a very good job. The intervals and note names are perfect except that there is 1 wrong interval. As I want you to get the most of this assignments, I won't tell you which one is wrong, so you should re-check them all...

I didn't get what you mean here:

"I didn't know what key they were in, for instance I'm sure #1 is a major 3rd because of the fret position but in A Major but when I looked at the scale generator I noticed that there is no C in A Major."

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 27 2015, 04:05 PM
Post #176

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 27 2015, 03:56 PM) *
I didn't get what you mean here:

"I didn't know what key they were in, for instance I'm sure #1 is a major 3rd because of the fret position but in A Major but when I looked at the scale generator I noticed that there is no C in A Major."

Sorry Gab,

I meant that I was unsure of the interval because I thought the notes would all be in the key of A Major like the first two assignments. I didn't trust my ear enough and thought that it could possible be a 4th, then I checked the scale generator and found a key that had those notes in, that then confirmed that it was a 3rd. I hope this makes sense. I'm struggling to put it into words. rolleyes.gif

I'll do them all again tonight.

Cheers

Phil

Update: Sorry about the faces, I didn't preview my post and didn't realise that the B follow by ) gave a cool.gif
There were a couple of mistakes on the note logging (9 and 10) and the incorrect interval was number 6. What I notice as I do these is that I am finding the first note much quicker than I used to, I am not hunting the fretboard like I used to, maybe a couple of frets away most of the time, finding the interval note is getting quicker too, I just struggle to remember if it's a 4th or 5th or major or perfect. The main thing for me though is that I am finding the notes quicker. I will continue to do this exercise every night. I am in Spain next week so will have to catch up on the next assignment when I get back. I'm really really enjoying these assignments and hope they go on forever wink.gif Maybe in later stages we can have three, four and five note runs and maybe more. They don't need to have a melody for now, just notes played like you play them at the moment, this gives our beginner ears time to match the notes wink.gif

1: Major 3rd ( G# C )
2: Perfect 5th ( D A )
3: Major 3rd ( G B )
4: Octave ( C# C# )
5: Major 3rd ( F# A# )
6: Perfect 5th ( D# A# )
7: Octave ( B B )
8: Major 3rd ( B D# )
9: Perfect 5th ( G# A# )
10: Major 3rd ( C E )

Only had a small amount of time today but I will always give my ear training priority. Do you think this is wise?

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 27 2015, 08:44 PM

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 27 2015, 04:23 PM
Post #177

Instructor
Group Icon

Ah ok! No, that's the main difference on this week's assignment. The intervals starts from different roots, wasn't it clear in the explanations? If not I should edit it...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 27 2015, 04:34 PM
Post #178

Well it may be clear to others but, I thought that all notes would be from the same scale, just different places on the neck. That is what confused me at first. So can we take it that the first note of each interval is the root note of the scale?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Apr 28 2015, 08:51 PM
Post #179

Gab,

Sorry, I updated my thread after you had answered yesterday so you will not have had notification of new post. I posted my corrects, please see Here

Sorry for the confusion.

Did you get my PM?

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

AWARD

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Apr 28 2015, 08:54 PM
Post #180

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 27 2015, 12:34 PM) *
Well it may be clear to others but, I thought that all notes would be from the same scale, just different places on the neck. That is what confused me at first. So can we take it that the first note of each interval is the root note of the scale?

Cheers

Phil

Yes, that's right on this exercise.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

53 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2017 - 06:10 PM