> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

67 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
post Jan 7 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #541

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Thanks Gab,

I will try to think less, but being an engineer, I like to understand, it's a trait I've always had, I used to annoy my maths teacher when I asked him to explain exactly what a sine and cosine were and he would just say "It's what you use in the equation", I used to say "But it must be something more than a name" which it is but he himself couldn't explain.

Sorry, it's in my mental construction rolleyes.gif

I'm already starting to see the relationship with the chord and scale in the theory workshop. I've never used that pentatonic shape but it helps that it works in the same area as the barre chord. smile.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 8 2016, 10:10 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 8 2016, 01:41 PM
Post #542

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

That's great mate and that's why I decided to add external links for this type of questions. Each person is different and I think that I know more of those that get confused or stuck when there is too much information. Keeping things simple is the way to go at GMC workouts.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 9 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #543

Hello Gab,

Ok, I've had a go at the punk collab, I'm so angry, I forgot to check the tuning on my guitar, after I had posted I remembered and checked hoping it was ok but true to punk rock it wasn't.

I'll see if I can replicate it tomorrow (Sunday) but it's not always easy to capture that first raw take when improvised sad.gif

So sorry mate. I've left it in the thread anyway.

Cheers.

Sunday update:

I've recorded another collab take in tune, I prefer the first one really, if only it was in tune (I bet Steve Jones never said that laugh.gif )

I know it isn't in the syllabus Gab but I've been researching. I didn't know if I should put this in the theory thread or not as it might confuse others, then again it might help them. I'm only doing it because this is the kind of thing I want to understand wink.gif

So far, I have discovered the following:
The A barre chord has A.E,C# notes and the F#min barre chord has F#,C#,A notes in it. That's something I never ever realised, those barre chords only have three notes across six strings rolleyes.gif

A maj pentatonic has the notes A,B.C#,E,F# and all of the notes in the chords can be found in the scale.
The pentatonic is the same as the whole scale but without the 4th and 7th notes.

I've also come up with an idea to work out major and minor notes. As long as you remember C major has no sharps or flats and that A minor has the same notes as C major you can work out other scales. By writing "Maj CDEFGABC" and "Min ABCDEFGA" you can then work out other scales from the intervals. This is the easiest way for me at the moment as I can never remember the intervals of the major and minor scales. Hopefully this will come, but this seems easy as you only have to really remember Cmaj notes which is easy because no sharps or flats, and then just remember that A minor is the same but starts from A.

I hope this makes sense. I wanted to show you that I have been working smile.gif

I've also added two takes for the theory workout. They are a little plinky plonky but I wanted to put something there.

Thanks for this workshop Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 10 2016, 10:11 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 11 2016, 02:51 AM
Post #544

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! Thanks for the take for the collab, I'll check it in a moment. It's cool to have you on this one. smile.gif

About your conclusions regarding both chords, and scales, you are totally right. And it's interesting how good the notes from one of the chords sound over the other one. We will go deeper with this in future assignments.

About this part:

"I've also come up with an idea to work out major and minor notes. As long as you remember C major has no sharps or flats and that A minor has the same notes as C major you can work out other scales. By writing "Maj CDEFGABC" and "Min ABCDEFGA" you can then work out other scales from the intervals. This is the easiest way for me at the moment as I can never remember the intervals of the major and minor scales. Hopefully this will come, but this seems easy as you only have to really remember Cmaj notes which is easy because no sharps or flats, and then just remember that A minor is the same but starts from A."

I don't really understand the method...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 11 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #545

Sorry Gab,
It is probably how I explained it.

C major is easy to remember CDEFGABC
A minor is easy to remember ABCDEFGA

So long as you know that between B&C and E&F is a semitone and all the others are a tone you can work out what notes are in any other major or minor key by using C major and A min as your reference and starting from the root.

Make sense? Or am I wrong?

Cheers

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 11 2016, 01:21 PM
Post #546

Instructor
Group Icon

Yes, I think. You see scales as a sum of intervals and distances, don't you?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 11 2016, 01:27 PM
Post #547

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 11 2016, 12:21 PM) *
Yes, I think. You see scales as a sum of intervals and distances, don't you?

Yes Gab,

For me, so long as I know C major and A minor it's easy to work out other keys using the C major and A minor as a "template". Eventually I guess we all learn the scale notes from repeated composing etc.

Cheers

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 12 2016, 04:05 PM
Post #548

Instructor
Group Icon

Well, if you are talking about visualizing shapes in the fret-board, that's how it works. You even don't need the names of the scales, you can visualize shapes and distances from a root.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 12 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #549

Thanks Gab,

I was thinking more along music itself not just guitar. In the image below, I've written out C Maj and A min where W=wholetone and S= semitone for the intervals. As you can see, I've used those as a template to work out the notes in F major and F minor, it's just something I came up with and is probably not much use but I did it anyway, I thought it might help me one day rolleyes.gif I just like to know things, I have a thirst for knowledge which can be a hindrance sometimes unsure.gif

Please excuse my poor writing biggrin.gif

Cheers Gab

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 14 2016, 12:18 AM
Post #550

Instructor
Group Icon

Now I got it, this is exactly how it works! smile.gif

Just one detail, you rarely find two notes with the same root name in the same scale so you should use flat notes in order to avoid it. It's just a theoretical / music language rule.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 17 2016, 01:32 PM
Post #551

Thanks Gab,
I noticed it look odd and realised I hadn't seen two root notes before so I researched and found that out smile.gif I didn't bother changing the piece of paper though, the method is still the same.

I'm really enjoying the theory thread and trying to come up with different things for the same backing is great fun and good experience.

I'm really surprised there isn't more activity in the thread though sad.gif

I'll just keep posting takes, hopefully some of those in the shadows will come out once they realise they don't have to be a hot player to post a take wink.gif I have my fourth one in there now, trying to limit phrases to 4 notes.

Cheers Gab

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 18 2016, 01:11 AM
Post #552

Instructor
Group Icon

Sure Phil! Posting takes there will inspire other students to follow the course and maybe share their works. I've noticed that each student is different, have different times, levels and ways of working, and that's why I believe my mentoring program threads are the ones that have more activity. However I still think that having many different workouts at the forum is positive to keep music flowing. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 18 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #553

You are a great teacher Gab and very similar to Cosmin, he had a fairly active mentoring thread too.
You are correct, every student is different and the skill of the teacher is to find the right approach for each individual. I have taught cnc programming to a lot of people over the years and I like the fact they were all different. Some seemed really slow learners but when i worked out a different approach to get the information across they were invariably as quick as others. The use of an analogy I found very very effective in some cases whereas others can find it patronising. Anyway, I digress.
Thanks for everything Gab, this Applied Theory has taken over my Sex Pistols lesson and also the blues one.
I've got to restructure my routine.
Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 18 2016, 10:06 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 18 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #554

Instructor
Group Icon

Thanks for your words mate. Let's keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 18 2016, 09:42 PM
Post #555

Thank Gab,

I always keep going mate, just not always in the right direction smile.gif

Can you take a look at THIS please. No rush, just when you get chance.

Thanks buddy

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 19 2016, 01:53 PM
Post #556

Instructor
Group Icon

I'll comment there. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 20 2016, 09:17 PM
Post #557

Hello Gab,

I think you missed THIS post in the applied theory thread wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 20 2016, 11:16 PM
Post #558

Instructor
Group Icon

Thanks for the link mate. I've commented there, and also at the Guitar loves piano thread.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 20 2016, 11:42 PM
Post #559

Thanks Gab
Sorry to be a pest but what about THIS post too

Cheers brother

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 21 2016, 08:29 PM
Post #560

Instructor
Group Icon

Done!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

67 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 09:53 AM