> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 40 41 42 43 44 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2016, 08:28 PM
Instructor
Done!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 9 2016, 09:37 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Sorted wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2016, 09:15 PM
Hello Gab,

Working out the new version of Rock Steady tonight trying to retrain fingers.

Worked on the Darius lesson and got it under my fingers approximately up to the part below which is a little bit tricky. Also, his tone is incredible, I can't get anywhere close with spending a WEEK at it and then it still won't be close laugh.gif
---------------------------|------------------------------------|
--8b~------------13--12br--|---L---L--15--13br-----L--17--15b~--|

I'll leave the improvising for a bit until I get the Darius part down a bit better, hopefully this will inspire me.

Cheers Gab.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 10 2016, 09:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 10 2016, 09:30 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Sounds good! Are you using the same amp plug in than Darius?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 10 2016, 10:45 PM
Thanks Gab,
I'm not using the same as Darius because I go via my Boss GT100 into my valve head via the effects loop and either mic it or use the mic emulated output from the head. I don't tend to like messing about with plugins. I also go straight into my GT001 and info my PC but still don't like plugins, they are a time consumer.

I'm working hard Gab, trust me wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 11 2016, 01:54 PM
Instructor
Ok mate! I'll wait for your takes. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 11 2016, 09:29 PM
mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Hello Gab,

No practise tonight. I tried to access the tab for the Darius lesson and got a message saying i need to log in or sign up to view member content. It is as though my membership has run out so i tried to log into my online credit card account to check when I paid but for some reason i got locked out and it said to call them. I've been sitting here on the phone in a queue for over an hour and a half. I'm sure i selected the GMC ongoing subscription so i didn't have to keep renewing, but either way I need to sort it out.

Still sitting here and typing this with one finger while I wait for the stupidly long queue mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Sorry Gab.

UPDATE:

Finally after nearly 2 hours it's sorted. I sometimes think the guitar gods are against me sad.gif To make it worse, the bloody music while waiting was the MOST tense classical I've ever heard not nice relaxing music more like music for a film with someone hanging off a balcony hoping not to get caught by the raiders of their apartment mad.gif

UPDATE 2:

Ok, I feel I need to get something to you, it's looks like I'm not practising but I am working hard on this difficult (for me) task.

Here is a take of the Darius "simple" A Minor soloing. I left a mistake in. My fingers are hurting so it's hard to hold notes at pitch (see pic).
Obviously this needs polishing A LOT but I really felt the need to give you something. I can hear that the bends aren't accurate, I am struggling with even attempting to do vibrato on the bends but I guess that's mainly down to finger strength and needs more practice.
Anyway here it is, warts and all.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-3-a-minor-darius-take-1

That blister is painful and making the bends even harder mellow.gif

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 12 2016, 09:24 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 13 2016, 02:38 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

great to hear a new take from you. I understand your feeling but there is something important that you need to have in mind. This type of workout is affected when it's stopped so soon and that's what happened with your vacation. I'm not meaning that you've have done something wrong but I want you make you remind you that we just worked for around 25 days and then you had 10 days off. This definitely affects the continuity of the workout and your progress.

So please be patient while we get back on track again. It can take some days.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 13 2016, 09:45 AM
Thanks Gab,

I was surprised that my fingers/brain remembered the Rock Steady rhythm so well, well the incorrect one that I first learned anyway. I picked up my guitar and played it along with the original track without looking at any tab. This Darius one is one of those that sounds simple but is so full of dynamics and subtle techniques that it makes it tricky but hey, if it's not challenging what's the point? So long as it's achievable by me I won't lose tenacity.
I'm going to have to stop the Darius lesson for a day or two because if that blister bursts it will be hard to play anything with bends in.
I feel bad about having my holiday now sad.gif
Cheers buddy smile.gif

UPDATE:
Had a good go at the Rock Steady solo, got a blister on my middle finger now laugh.gif I find version 2 of the TAB much much less user friendly, the solo is different to the one I've been learning too. I think I've sussed out the correct rhythm pattern by listening to the studio recording but the other parts I find easier to use the open chords than jump around the fretboard using power chords. Hopefully I can piece something together that would sound ok to most pub audiences.

For now, this assignment asks for the solo of Rock Steady, the Darius lesson (first 30 seconds) and an improvisation in A minor over the Darius backing. That is what I am going to concentrate on until I pass, hopefully on the second deadline as I don't think I will get enough coins on the Wednesday 17th deadline.

After that hopefully we can re-group with the confusing tabs for the rhythm section.

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 14 2016, 09:41 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 14 2016, 03:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for the update.

I love the fact that you keep me updated with diary details. This makes me feel much more connected with you in this wonderful music and life journey. smile.gif

Your plan looks perfect to me. I have good vibes about the future of this workout.

Keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 14 2016, 05:34 PM
Thanks Gab,

I didn't know if I was doing the right thing with diary updates, I thought maybe it would be a pain for you having to keep reading my ramblings. I like to keep you up to date at least that way you will know that my slow progress isn't because I'm not trying smile.gif

Cheers

UPDATE:
Here's another take of the Darius lesson. I think there are improvements over the last take, some of the bends sound pretty close. I always hear that the bends are out when I play back but not so much when I am playing. I'm also struggling with the rakes, I've post THIS in the forum.
The tab below is still the hardest part, lots going on and half tone and full tone bends with vibrato, so hard to fit it all in and get the pitches correct wacko.gif laugh.gif
--8b~------------13--12br--|---L---L--15--13br-----L--17--15b~--|

I've panned Darius into the left channel. I actually think the last bend is probably the closest.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/assignment-3-a-minor-darius-take-2

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 14 2016, 09:18 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2016, 07:32 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, good job! I think that the bends are getting much closer. They are not precise but very close so the workout that you are doing is giving results. Please continue practising this one in this way.

I'll check your rake thread and comments there in a moment. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 15 2016, 08:45 PM
Thanks Gab,

OK, I've neglected the Rock steady solo a little, this is one of my problems, I get my teeth into something and won't let go, I'm like a bloody terrier with a bone rolleyes.gif
Now I've got the Darius solo under my fingers, I'm going to warm up with it for 15 minutes to try and polish it, then switch to intense learning of the Rock Steady solo. Hopefully I'll get it to the standard I've got the Darius solo to, not award winning I know, but, at least recognisable. Then I'll cram in some improvisation.

I am aiming to get three videos to you on Wednesday evening, as I said, I don't think I'll get 7 coins but the holiday has caused issues.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

UPDATE:
I've got a few more bars of the Rock Steady solo into my fingers at slow tempo tonight, hopefully get the rest tomorrow, then try to get up to tempo for Wednesday but that's a long shot.

I have something very strange happening, I did fifteen minutes of polishing the Darius solo, then 30 minutes learning more of the Rock Steady solo including polishing the bars I already know and adding the new ones a slow tempo. What is strange is that I went back to the Darius solo for 15 minutes but at first I totally couldn't remember it, I know the first note is the same on both solos but I had to listen to the Darius solo again to get it back into my head. I think both of these solos are in the same key and the first note of each is definitely the same, maybe my brain is getting mixed up blink.gif laugh.gif

These past couple of days of intense, 100% focused practise seem to be brilliant. I seem to move forwards quicker. My brain suddenly seems more receptive to new stuff, let's hope it stays switched on smile.gif As I said, I'm not expecting to pass my exam on the deadline but the main thing is I'm TOTALLY enjoying the pressure of deadlines. It really makes you focus biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 15 2016, 09:21 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 16 2016, 08:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Interesting! I'm really happy to know that you are 100% focused on your tasks. I understand that sometimes we can get confused when working on more than 1 solo at a time, so this is normal. Don't worry.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 16 2016, 09:07 PM
Thanks Gab,

Just finished tonight's practise. Seriously frustrated with myself. Last night it went so well and I was so happy, but tonight I'm really struggling with the Rock Steady solo. TabPro version 1, 2nd electric guitar (solo), bars 69-72 are tying my fingers up. Up to that point I've got it ok at 75% speed. I looked at the version 2 solo and it's too different to start to learn it now and it seems less correct than the version 1 to my ears.

Listening to the studio version, WOW, it will take a lot time to get anywhere near that but for now, just getting the notes down is a struggle. I can hear some double stops I think in the studio version that aren't in the TAB on TabPro, well not in version 1 anyway, there are a couple in version 2 but that has just confused me listening to both.

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to post a video of the Rock Steady solo tomorrow. I will post one of the Darius solo (first 30 seconds) and I'll try to get an improvisation done but obviously I'm not going to pass the exam. I will need my second chance, I've hit a sticking point I'm afraid.

Sorry to let you down Gab, my holiday screwed it all up.

Phil

UPDATE August 17th:
Haven't had chance to post, sorry.
Got a txt from my wife today to say her sister and 7 year old son had visited. Our nephew had asked if he could come out with us tonight, we go to a local pub for a meal on a Wednesday, it's kid friendly and has a play area and kids indoor section so my wife said yes. Her sister left him with my wife for the rest of the day and we took him out.
It was very busy, then we had to take him home which is an hour round trip so I've just got in at 21:05 so going to have a quick practise while wife catches up on her soap opera rolleyes.gif then spend some time together before going to bed around 10:30, 6am start tomorrow.

Sorry, I've really been trying this past few days but it hasn't come to fruition.

Awaiting you comments,

Cheers Gab

P.S Check your PM please.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 17 2016, 09:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 18 2016, 09:13 PM
Hello Gab,

There is another post above this in case you missed it.

UPDATE August 18th:

First 30s of the Darius lesson. I'm still amazed at how the REC button sends in the finger gremlins rolleyes.gif

I can hear on playback that I'm off pitch on bends but when playing I don't notice it so much, I am also coming in late in many places, again when playing this isn't noticed sad.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwbEzR8frdw...eature=youtu.be

Please check your PMs

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 19 2016, 08:06 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 19 2016, 03:22 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

You've done a good analysis of your playing on this last video. However, I would consider this one passed for the assignment, so we just need the other stuff for the assignment to complete it and move forward.

Remember that the goal here is to get 7 coins. If you get 7 coins, you pass the assignment which means that the 10 days of practice (in this case with extended time because of the vacation) has been totally productive.

About the song. We don't need an exact version of the song. We need a well played interpretation of it, so don't worry to much on details at this point. We have time for exhaustive details.

Ok?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 19 2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks Gab,

That sounds great to me. I guess Mick Ralphs is a bit too hot for me to copy at the moment cool.gif

I'll try to get a "Phil's simple version" to you this weekend.

In the assignment briefing you said "A video playing the licks learnt from Rock Steady Song" by which you meant the solo soI've been really struggling to copy it as though it was for a REC take blink.gif How about a bit of an improvisation using the bits I've already learned and following the lead guitar on the studio version for cues? I'm not going to nail anything anywhere near as good as the original but it may help my development doing it like this as though I'm in the studio with Bad Co learning some tricks wink.gif

I'll regroup tonight, reassess the solo, practice some improvisation and polish the Darius solo a bit more.

I'll do my best Gab.

Thanks

UPDATE 20th August:

For clarification about the assignments. Am I correct in thinking the following?:

1: Any song I learn from a band doesn't need to be an exact copy. It needs good timing; the rhythm needs to be recognisable by anyone that knows the song but I can add or remove some flavours; the solo needs to be in the essence of the original but not a copy. The songs I will learn will have been played by top flight musicians with many many years experience so to copy them will be difficult for the most part unless it is a particularly simple solo based around one pentatonic shape or extended shape.

2: Any of the GMC lessons I learn either in part or in full need to be a REC pass level and if the whole lesson is learned it should be submitted to REC for additional critique.

3: Improvisations need to be the best I can do trying to utilise some of all of the techniques from the lesson the backing track comes from.

Hopefully I've got it right. As this is a new approach for both of us I think it's good to fine tune the system for us and for use with other students. I hope this makes sense.

With the song I'm thinking maybe you want something along these lines. I couldn't put it on SoundCloud as it is detected as copyright material. I've done the whole song and tried to play it all together best I can including an improvised solo and the outro. Even the first few bars of the solo I learnt along with Guitar Tab Pro are hard to play along with the studio version for some reason.
Attached File  Rock_Steady_full_song_take_1.mp3 ( 8.79MB ) Number of downloads: 88

If this is the way to go I'll put a video up as soon as you say so but if it's not what you want then please let me know.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 20 2016, 09:52 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2016, 01:18 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil,

That clarification is applicable to the current assignment but it can be different in future assignments. For the current one it's perfect since it's exactly what many bands do when playing live covers and versions.

To avoid copyright issues, you can post the files and I download them to check.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 21 2016, 10:52 AM
Thanks Gab,
There was an mp3 file in my last post for you to listen to. If that's what you're looking for I can do a video, YouTube is OK with copyright stuff for some reason.
As soon as you let me know I'm on the right track I'll post a Rock Steady video and an improvisation video over the a minor backing.
Cheers
Phil

Update:
This evening I practised my soloing over Rock Steady but more on an improvised way as in the MP3 on my previous post, I also practised improvising over the Darius backing. People who don't play an instrument think improvising is easy because "you just play what you want" I find it one of the hardest things to do, so with the Rock steady solo, I'm between a rock and a hard place, I don't have the skill to play the original solo and I don't have the skill to improvise and make it sound ok laugh.gif Really need to get this assignment wrapped up now somehow. Maybe I've bitten off more than I can chew going for classic rock songs, or maybe I should just get the rhythm part down on a few. At least when that old question from a visitor comes up ("So, what can you play then?" I can play them something they'll recognise, they'd only listen to the first couple of bars anyway laugh.gif

Cheers and thank you for your patience.
Phil

P.S Did you check out the plugins in your folder?

P.P.S Please check my "Dates" PM

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 21 2016, 09:11 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 40 41 42 43 44 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:49 PM