> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

69 Pages V  « < 41 42 43 44 45 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 22 2016, 12:22 AM
Post #841

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Phil, I've just answered your two messages. Check them out! wink.gif

I think that the song is on the right track. I've listened to the whole thing yesterday and I didn't notice any dramatic issues. Just pay attention to timing, going tight with the backing track.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 22 2016, 02:14 PM
Post #842

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Thanks Gab

What about the solo part in Rock Steady would that be passable?

I have to go to the doctor tonight, I strained a tendon in my right elbow at the beginning of July and hoped my 14 day holiday in France would calm it down but some days it is crazy painful. I've been taking lots of strong over the counter anti inflammatory tablets but they aren't calming it down enough so it keeps on flaring up.
At the moment it's only mildly painful when playing guitar so i grit my teeth and get on with it but it depends on what they do tonight. If its a cortisone injection into the joint it might prevent me from playing this evening.
Fingers crossed it can be sorted with super strength pills.
I'll keep you updated.
Cheers Gab

UPDATE:
Doctor has prescribed the highest dose of the strongest anti-inflammatory drugs available for 1 month, if that doesn't work it will be an injection into the area and/or physiotherapy. The more I rotate my right arm into a pronated position (thumb down) the more it hurts so guitar isn't too bad smile.gif

Anyway, I await your comment for the question at the top of this post.

Cheers buddy.

Phil

UPDATE:
Had a practise tonight but my brain needed a break. I've been walking up in the middle of the night with the Rock Steady rhythm or Darius solo as an ear worm so I did a quick rubbish take with Todd HERE

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 23 2016, 07:07 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 23 2016, 06:20 PM
Post #843

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, thanks for the updates. I hope that your right elbow gets better soon. Follow all the doctor's suggestions and stop playing guitar in the case it hurts (but it seems that it doesn't).

About the solo, do it the best you can and I'll evaluate if it passes when you submit the final videos. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 23 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #844

Thanks Gab,

As with everything in life it seems you get to 90% of what you want in about a tenth of the time the remaining 10% takes laugh.gif

Anyway, here is my Rock Steady solo improv and another take of the Darius A Minor. I'll post an A minor improv over the Darius backing tomorrow.

I'm not happy with the solo to Rock Steady but as I said, maybe it's too much for me at the moment, it can only get better in time smile.gif . I know on both takes bends are sloppy, I'm actually noticing it more when I'm playing now but don't get the time to correct them, it will get there one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DWT_I6Xl9E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyQjp8bYRtQ

Cheers Gab.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 24 2016, 02:34 PM
Post #845

Instructor
Group Icon

Great Phil!! This videos sound very good! We can consider this one passed as soon as you share the improvisation over the lesson's backing.

In order to have it easy to find for me, these were the tasks for the current assignment (3):

Exam and deadline:

By July 23th you'll have to share 3 videos:

- A video playing the first 30 seconds from the lesson (3 coins)
- A second video improvising over the lesson's backing using A pentatonic minor (3 coins)
- A video playing the licks learnt from Rock Steady Song. (4 coins)

One important thing. When doing vibrato remember to use the other fingers to help the one that is pressing the fret. If you check your impro over the song, you are not doing it. It's very important in order to achieve a consistent vibrato technique.

We need to cover vibrato, and some speed training in order to make your fingers move smoother.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 24 2016, 02:50 PM
Post #846

Thanks Gab,

Every time I hear the Rock Steady solo it sounds like I should be able to come close to it but when I play along with it I go to pieces and mess up. I think my mistake was learning purely with the Tab-pro software and not just looking at the tab whilst listening to the track. It is still on my "to do" list so, when I'm having a difficult time with my next assignment I'll spend some minutes on that each until I get it down.
Please check your PMs. The new assignment should start on Tuesday really but it's up to you how you want to do it wink.gif

Here is my improv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UTuD8lbA4o

Here are some other classics I'd like to learn. I have the tab for the first one as transcribed for me by Simon Lees my one time teacher. It is also on TabPro. I never learnt it properly but the solo is only in the most common pentatonic box shape so might suit me better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWzPH4EZevw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzpWJx3I2DY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAPUxvjbdcU

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 24 2016, 09:53 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 25 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #847

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! Nice improvisation. During the next days of practice please focus on rhythm experimentation. I think that your phrasing needs more rhythm variation, notes duration and silences so let's focus on it, ok?

About the deadline, ok! let's set August 29th as the last day for the current assignment.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 25 2016, 02:40 PM
Post #848

Thanks Gab,

I may not be able to post on 29th and this evening is my last practice until either 29th or 30th wink.gif (PM)

So is this assignment not a pass? You said in your previous post "Great Phil!! This videos sound very good! We can consider this one passed as soon as you share the improvisation over the lesson's backing."

What do you want me to post on the 29th/30th?

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 25 2016, 08:45 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 26 2016, 01:34 PM
Post #849

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil,

two things:

- If it's possible, please share here the dates that you've told me via PM that you won't be able to practice.

- The assignment definitely passes. I've decided to extend the deadline just because you had it in mind and it's always good to keep playing the same stuff for some more days and as this last assignment has been a bit irregular, it's not a bad idea. By the way, I can post a new assignment for you this weekend if you prefer it. In this case it's up to you, both options are ok for me.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 27 2016, 09:26 AM
Post #850

Cheers Gab,

I don't mind when you post the new assignment but as I can't practise until Tuesday the ten days need to start from then wink.gif

Cheers buddy. Looking forward to the next one. This method seems to work well and is enjoyable, it seems to highlight problem areas well too. It's a bit tricky when a 14 holiday comes up and skills are reduced so days have to be added but it's a great new system and I hope it's working for other students too smile.gif

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 27 2016, 09:58 PM
Post #851

Instructor
Group Icon

yes, I think that this is working really good with you and other students that we are trying it. The secret is to keep goals doable and that's my job! I try to do my best designing the plans.

Regarding your assignment, let's plan it as soon as you are ready on 31th, ok?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 28 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #852

Thanks Gab,

Being doable but not too easy is the key element. There is nothing more discouraging than being expected to complete something beyond your reach. In fact, being too easy is better than too hard, at least you are moving forward and keeping keen but it's still best to have to try a little to achieve the next small step.

I'll be ready to plan the next assignment on 29th Gab I just may not be able to get a practice in then so start date from 30th wink.gif

Speak soon buddy, love having fresh challenges, that's the other reason things need to be doable, you get fresh challenges often, I know things start to get stale after a while. We don't all have the patience to chase perfection with each lesson, as long I'm within 80% I like to move on but I'm hoping I well improve and be able to play older lessons to 95% as my skills improve with harder assignments. I hope this makes sense.

Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 28 2016, 04:16 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 29 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #853

Instructor
Group Icon

I remember that we've started this new method of practice based on two global goals that you had:

- being able to jam with my friends.
- being able to play some popular songs in a meeting.

I can say that the first stage could be considered DONE! We've dona great first step since I feel that you are now able to play that song and you also have taken your improvisation skills one step forward. In order to keep in this direction, the idea is that besides the new assignments, that you play at least once every day that song for some months. Let's consider it as a part of your repertoire. The idea here is to build your own repertoire and the only way to have it fresh is to practice it.

In the next assignments we will get into a new song, and we will continue exploring improvisation tools.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 29 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #854

I'm ready Gab, I'm home now smile.gif

I will play that song each day as a warm up, I will improvise the solo and when I have time I will try to learn the proper solo. I think it might not be worth me trying to learn the original solos in songs for now, or at least not to have to learn them to pass the assignment, that last solo was much harder than it sounds so maybe an improvised solo would be better but long term I will try to learn them, unless they are particularly simple.

You was going to explain the basic theory behind this track too if you remember wink.gifCHECK

I'm ready to roll and raring to go buddy.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 29 2016, 08:19 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 29 2016, 05:41 PM
Post #855

Instructor
Group Icon

ASSIGNMENT #4:

Goals:

- Expanding your A minor phrasing - blues phrasing
- Learning intro for Boys Are Back In Town (Thin Lizzy)

TASK 1:

- Learn the first 39 seconds from this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/A_Minor_Blues/
- Improvise over the backing track of this lesson trying to create your own variations.

TASK 2:

- Learn the song from Thin Lizzy (first 49 seconds of it).

Exam and deadline:

By September 15th you'll have to share 3 videos:

- A video playing the first 39 seconds from the lesson (3 coins)
- A second video improvising over the lesson's backing using A pentatonic minor (3 coins)
- A video playing the part learnt by Think Lizzy song (4 coins)

Each of this videos will be evaluated (check the coins value below). You need to get at least 7 coins to pass. If you pass, we can continue, if you don't you will have a second "call" that would be the last one.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 29 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #856

Thanks Gab,

I'm on it smile.gif

UPDATE:

OK, got the first two bars of the blues solo, then blew up my valve amp sad.gif then had a go at the Thin Lizzy intro, I'm learning guitar part 1, is this what you want me to learn? Or guitar part 2? I'm using version 5 in TabPro. Please check it and let me know. Part one has the power chords and the lead bits. I've struggled to do it at 25% speed this evening laugh.gif

Cheers buddy.

UPDATE Tuesday 30th August.

Had to sort out the original packing boxes from the attic, pack amp up, sort out shipping paperwork and fault details to send amp back for repair so only got around half hour tonight. sad.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 31 2016, 06:18 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 31 2016, 12:09 AM
Post #857

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, I think that the guitar part 1 is more interesting to be learnt so I would go for it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 31 2016, 08:26 AM
Post #858

Cheers Gab,

When I listened to this song i always thought a separate guitar played those little fills between the power chords. This will be good for me to learn as it is a new dimension to playing for me smile.gif

I've always wanted to be able to play those acoustic solo 12 bar jams where the guitarist plays the chord progression but switches between the chord progression and a couple of bars of lead and then seamlessly back into the chord progression. I love that stuff so hopefully this will give an insight into that kind of thing. I've never understood the theory of what to play between chords. Maybe we could cover that some time?

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Aug 31 2016, 07:56 PM
Post #859

Instructor
Group Icon

Sure! Please share some examples of songs where this happens. Link to the song and minute where it's happening.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Aug 31 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #860

Cheers Gab,

It's hard to find what I'm talking about because I've heard it in guitar shops mainly when people pick up a blues box and start jamming.

This is about the closest I can find, I know this is Ry Cooder not Ralph Machio wink.gif They will start at the correct place wink.gif

https://youtu.be/YNuWtwOkgfo?t=86

https://youtu.be/vMTMDPKCsWs?t=15

The problem with these is that it is using finger picking, I've seen people doing things similar with a pick and using a more conventional 12 bar like the first one you ever learn. There's no rush, it can be in 12 months time, I'll try to record something at the weekend which will be terrible, out of time, out of key but it may give you an idea wink.gif
Got THIS last week and would like to use it properly one day. It's eye candy at the moment, always wanted a metal blues box wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

UPDATE:

Had a short but brilliant practise tonight.
Played Rock Steady three times, improvised solo seems to be getting better, nothing like the original though wink.gif
Got 2 more bars of the blues solo under my fingers (roughly of course)
Had another go at the first four bars of The Boys Are Back in Town. It's a real struggle this one, but I'm playing it very slowly and trying to work out some better fingerings for when I get quicker wink.gif
Thoroughly enjoyed it tonight I even played Rock Steady standing up smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Aug 31 2016, 09:34 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

69 Pages V  « < 41 42 43 44 45 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 01:59 PM