> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

67 Pages V  « < 43 44 45 46 47 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Phil66
post Sep 12 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #881

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Thanks Gab,

That's a great video, I've never heard of him, must get some of his stuff.

I have watched a few videos and they all seem to be alternate picking, but either way, it just isn't happening with me, I can play it full speed but rubbish with alternate picking and I can't play it at full speed with all downstrokes.

For some reason, I come across these kind of "simple" licks that I just can't get, it was the same with that little run in Ben's "Petrucci Made Easy" lesson, I could play everything either side of it but I had to give up on that one, it really made me feel like not playing anymore as I thought I had reached my level at such a low level. Another one was in that beautiful Darius solo, I just couldn't for the life of me get that one alternate picked run.

I'm definitely not going to pass this Thursday, I've neglected my A minor lesson because I've been trying to get Thin Lizzy down and have been consumed by it, then I had issues with my new amp which are ongoing but took a lot of time initially to try to sort, then there was the bad news yesterday. The powers that be just seem to be against me all the time this past year for some reason.

Anyway, I'll soldier on and deliver some kind of videos to you on Thursday if I feel it's worth it.

Cheers Gab.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 13 2016, 07:19 AM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 13 2016, 07:49 PM
Post #882

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Phil,

that's what I've imagined. The part must be played with Alternate Picking so please practice it with this technique. Remember that it's always better to provide slower videos that are played clean and tight than normal tempo vids that sound bad.

Isolate the part and practice it over metronome at slower tempos. You need more time with it.

About Nick's music, great to know that you've liked. He just realised a new track with an addictive phrasing and tone too:

Darius and Monica introduced this guitarist at the forum. That's how I've discovered him.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 13 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #883

Thanks Gab,

Nick Johnston, WOW!

OK here is where I'm at, I'm struggling to get a decent tone without my Peavey Valve head which is why I've lost so much trying to get my Laney working with the FX loop.

This is at 140bpm (studio track is 160bpm). It is worse than normal due to REC button syndrome but it's where I am now. Got to really bash in to focused work on the A minor lesson.

I'm panned hard left.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/tbabit-140bpm

Cheers Gab

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 14 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #884

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, the tone sounds good. The riff obviously needs more work. I'd practice it at a slower tempo to be able to play the tricky part smoother.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 14 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #885

Hello Gab,

Tonight was a no go but in a good way I guess. My wife and I went out for our usual mid week meal but we bumped into some old friends. Needless to say we got chatting, had a good old talk about the old days but I've just got in at nearly 10pm. Going to grab 1/2 hour practice of the blues lesson which is no where near submission level.

I'll see what I can post tomorrow but I know I'm going to need the second chance.

The last time we bumped into this same group was the night before a deadline I think. I told you the powers that be are against me at the moment rolleyes.gif

Sorry Gab. it's not that I don't try, hurdles are placed in front of me every day lately.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 15 2016, 03:22 PM
Post #886

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil! Thanks for the update.

Don't let everything for the last day. In your mind, the deadline should exist 2 days before the real deadline. That's the way to avoid unpredictable events affects.

That's what works for me for exams, and other important stuff.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 15 2016, 03:29 PM
Post #887

Thanks Gab,

I know what you are saying and I am usually ready in advance but last week I lost so much time trying to sort that amp out I was going to cram some super intense practice in last night. I haven't even got more than 5 bars of the blues lesson down. I'm beating myself up over it and I feel like a total let down to you sad.gif

I don't really know what to do tonight, I think we might as well go straight into second chance time and I'll get something to you next week. Also, a reminder I can't practice this Saturday.

Sorry for being a bad student mate. mellow.gif

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE: Thursday 15th September.

Well that's it! Total failure. I've let myself down but more importantly I've let you down. To get to my deadline and have nothing to give you is inexcusable.
I could have posted a slow version of the Thin Lizzy intro but that doesn't seem right to me. I could have posted an improvisation but without having learnt the part of the A minor solo that you requested didn't seem right either.
I feel so discouraged at this point in time, not with you or guitar playing but with myself.
I know exactly why I haven't performed on this assignment, I let myself get too distracted with this amp but I was missing my Peavey so got a substitute and it doesn't seem to fit in with my other gear. I should have disconnected it and sold it rather than waste most of last week trying to sort it out. And then the other things that have gone on.
As I've said in PM, too much crap going on lately, hurdle after hurdle, physical hurdles and mental hurdles.
All I can say is, sorry.
Where do we go know?
Sorry Gab.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 15 2016, 09:17 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 16 2016, 01:22 PM
Post #888

Instructor
Group Icon

Ok mate, let's go for the second call of this assignment.

DEADLINE (Second Call): September 28th

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Sep 16 2016, 03:22 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 16 2016, 02:06 PM
Post #889

Thanks Gab,

Just a reminder that for sure I can't practice tomorrow evening and possibly Sunday. I'm at Donington all weekend with the Tyco BMW British Superbike Team.

I'll be 100% focused when I get back though, this amp is going to my mate's guitar shop for him to sell for me.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 16 2016, 03:22 PM
Post #890

Instructor
Group Icon

Ok, I've added 2 days to the deadline.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 16 2016, 04:03 PM
Post #891

Thanks Gab,

I will try to complete early though.

Cheers

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 17 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #892

Instructor
Group Icon

Ok! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 20 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #893

Hello Gab,

Got my mojo back smile.gif I really had the blues over my failure as it was all my fault, all down to my lack of self discipline, felt like packing it all in sad.gif .

Anyway, here is the intro to The Boys are Back at 150bpm (Studio is 160) I'm panned hard left wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/tbabit-150bpm

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 20 2016, 08:22 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 20 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #894

Instructor
Group Icon

Hey Phil! I'm really happy to read this man. smile.gif

I don't have stereo on this device but from what I can hear it seems that your take on the riff of the song is much better than the previous one! That's a great thing mate, congrats.

Keep on the good job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 20 2016, 08:56 PM
Post #895

Thanks Gab,
As you know I hardly practised last week with my amp issues. I think this improvement is pretty good considering i haven't really played it seriously until last night so basically, from the last recording on 23rd September to this one tonight is basically two practice sessions of 20 minutes on that piece after a bit of a rough patch with unfocused practice. It shows what focus can achieve.

Also I've got the first 30 seconds of the blues solo note sequence into my fingers, just not got the phrasing down yet, I'll learn the rest of the first 39 seconds and then start polishing it. I've been cheating a little bit for now by resting my palm on my Strat bridge and pressing slightly and quickly on and off to get the vibrato on the bends laugh.gif I didn't use the bar as I don't leave it in there. Just to get the sound but I won't submit it like that. Once I have the notes in my fingers then I'll practise the vibrato on bends, it's too much to think about at the moment wacko.gif

I'll leave the improvising until last as it seems to come together better like that.

To recap, in case it has slipped your mind, we decided to learn the intro of The Boys Are Back up to the first verse with the lead fills as apposed to your request for the first 49 seconds of just the chords wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

P.S I've switch over to 9's on my Strat and it is amazing how much different it feels on bends, I couldn't believe the difference it made.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 21 2016, 03:50 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 21 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #896

Instructor
Group Icon

Great Phil. I can see that this thread is getting back to the right track again. This sounds promising.

Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 22 2016, 09:00 PM
Post #897

Hello Gab,

OK, The blues solo note sequence is under my fingers, phrasing is not there yet but it's coming. This seems more than a level 3 to me but hey, it's a challenge, challenges make you improve wink.gif

The hardest bars for me to commit to memory are these for some reason, I don't know why but the other stuff stuck in my brain quite easy.

E             G              G#         A7                              
|-----3-----| |---3---| |---3--|
Q Q E E S S E E E E E H E E E
--10b----10b----12b--12--11-10---------|--12------------------------------|
-------------------------------13--10--|------13--10--10------------------|
---------------------------------------|---------------------------12--9--|
---------------------------------------|----------------------------------|

E7
|--3-|
T T T T E S H.
------------------------------------|
--12-13-12-10-12b--12--L------------|

I've had an idea too, I'm going to put this solo on my iPod for in the car so I can internalise it on my way to and from work, hopefully it will help me to learn it more quickly. What do you think?

Still plugging away with the Thin Lizzy song wink.gif

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 23 2016, 12:52 PM
Post #898

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil!

That's an excellent idea! It will help you to get into the rhythm and feel of each phrase. I think that this part can be tricky because of the use of triplets. It can be tricky to play triplets phrases so again, getting more familiar with the solo is a good plan.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Sep 24 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #899

Thanks Gab,

Had a morning session just on the Thin Lizzy intro. I managed to get up to 100% speed. The alternate picking parts that were giving me trouble aren't perfect but I found that I wasn't attacking them hard enough, I was being too gentle with the pick. Not got the palm muting correct yet but that's a matter of time.

Evening update:

Struggling with the phrazing on the solo still, some of the phrazes don't feel at all natural yet.

Cheers bud

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 24 2016, 10:45 PM

--------------------

GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Sep 24 2016, 10:41 PM
Post #900

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, that's great to know it. Thanks for the update.

Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

67 Pages V  « < 43 44 45 46 47 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 08:37 PM