> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

69 Pages V  « < 47 48 49 50 51 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 8 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #961

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi Phil, thanks for the update.

I'm glad to know that this new method is helping to enjoy the journey and keep on moving forward. These are the main goals so we are ON TRACK mate. Keep going! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 8 2016, 09:45 PM
Post #962

Learning Apprentice Player

Group: Members
Member No.: 19.975

Hello Gab,

Life got in the way tonight mad.gif Home late from work and had to sort out my wife's car. She had three very low pressure tyres, I think someone must have tried to let them down in a car park or something mad.gif

On top of that, my amp has finally returned so I had to get that back into my setup and test it. It seems fine so far.

On a good note, thank you for getting me to a "three 9" pass in REC. I was really pleased with the comments. Ben noticed improvements in my playing that I had not noticed, that is great to hear, and Darius wasn't expecting it be be how it was, he was expecting "too much gain and too sharp picking" for some reason so that was good that I delivered.

Thanks for everything Gab smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 9 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #963

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi mate, I'm sorry about your wife's car issue.

Thanks for the update. The REC grade is awesome, congratulations!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 9 2016, 10:01 PM
Post #964

Thanks Gab,

I'm really pleased with my REC score biggrin.gif

Jack White Lesson : 20 minutes (Total time 20).
Got the first three bars down. The fourth is tricky. With the intro, I notice that you play the notes in red (below) with an upstroke, this makes sense as it is on the offbeat. I'm trying to do it the same but due to the gap where there is no note played on the beat my hand tends to want to play it with a down stroke. I notice that when you play it slow, you play it with a down stroke. I think it's best for me to try to keep teh rhythm going by using an upstroke. SRV works like this, his right hand never stops going up and down even when he isn't playing many notes. Do you think it's best to focus on this in order to develop it now rather tahn later when I get into SRV lessons?
E||------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
B||------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
G||------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
D||-------------------7b---------|------------------------------7-9--|
A||-------------------------7----|------------------------7-8-9------|
E||--7--7-7-5-7--7-----------|--7--7-7-5-7--7-7-10------------|

AC/DC chorus: 15 minutes (Total time 15)
Getting there

AC/DC solo improv:
No time this evening.

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 9 2016, 10:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 10 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #965

Instructor
Group Icon

Do you think it's best to focus on this in order to develop it now rather tahn later when I get into SRV lessons? [/color]

yes! Please focus on the picking technique (pick directions)

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 10 2016, 10:21 PM
Post #966

Thanks Gab, (there are 2 updates at the bottom after the youtube video wink.gif )

Had a really enjoyable session tonight biggrin.gif

Jack White Lesson. 30 minutes (Total time 50)

I've got the picking direction right most of the time, it's just a matter of keeping it chugging along like a metronome. I'm really struggling at the moment to sort my fingers out for bar 4. I've posted THIS and Laurent has sorted me out with software. It's just a matter of time, it will all fall into place with more time.

AC/DC Chorus. 20 minutes (Total time 35)

Got the chords down, it's easy once you have sorted out the most economical movements for the fingers. I can play along at full speed with the TAB PRO but when it comes to the studio track I get lost. My hands want to go along with Bon Scott. I struggle to hear the rhythm guitar on the studio track for me to follow in these early stages.. Do you have any advice to overcome this?

AC/DC Solo. 15 minutes (Total time this assignment 15, including last assignment 190)

As usual I "soloed" all the way to the end each time, I got the occasional lick come through that I was happy with but it's still pretty rubbish biggrin.gif

Thanks Gab, I'm enjoying my practise more than ever, I know I'm not the quickest to improve but I don't care, I enjoy it. The only thing I have to be careful of is going stale on a lesson that becomes a chore but I will let you know if that happens wink.gif smile.gif

As a side note, doing the picking thing with the Jack White lesson reminded me of this song, I tried to learn the intro to this many moons ago, there are a lot of upstrokes, I got totally confused biggrin.gif

UPDATE 11/11/2016:

I've spent all my time tonight watching the video, trying to see how you play the fourth bar, I was getting seriously confused to be honest. I haven't logged any time for tonight as I've mainly been trying to sort out the 2nd fret A string to 2nd fret E string transition.
It was the image below that was confusing me compared to the TAB.

I was looking for some video slowdown software, (I've since found out you can do it in Movie Maker rolleyes.gif and in the thread Ben came back with THIS explanation of how you play it including pictures smile.gif Is there anything you can add to help me out a little? So I'll be back onto it tomorrow. The England/Scotland Euro qualifier has been a distraction tonight too rolleyes.gif

UPDATE 12/11/2016:

Jack White Lesson. 20 minutes (Total time 70)

Finally getting somewhere with bar 4, I had a go at some of the bars after bar 4 and I got to grips with them pretty quickly at a slow tempo.

AC/DC Chorus. 20 minutes (Total time 55)

Really struggling to get this right with the studio track. Posted THIS on the forum.

AC/DC Solo. 20 minutes (Total time this assignment 35, including last assignment 225)

I actually think I have improved a tiny bit. I would have loved to have played along in tune with the last "Highway To Hell" words wink.gif Please listen and let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/hth-solo-2

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 12 2016, 10:11 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 13 2016, 06:25 AM
Post #967

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil!

Great to know that you are finding this new method much more motivating. I can see that your playing is improving.

About your distraction issue, I just can say that you need to find the way to be able to listen to the vocals without losing your part. We need to be able to hear the vocals as reference while keeping the rhythm of the guitar part. There are no short cuts here, just practice at slower tempos (you could slow down the track).

The solo is getting better. I think that your take sounds good. You could go closer to the original, or get more ideas from it, like the double stops or some higher melodies, but I wouldn't feel bad if I see a cover band and the player plays what you played here.

About Jack White lesson, I'll definitely re-check the tabs with my guitar. I think that I put those fingers, but that I don't reach the strings with my pick so that's why they are not tabbed. (however, the chords should appear in the guitar pro). I'll re-check it, but in the meantime, I think that Ben's posts has clarified the issue, doesn't it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 13 2016, 12:51 PM
Post #968

Thanks Gab,

I think the solo is coming along, I also think it's good that I don't need to get a pass in the solo to move on to a new assignment when the time comes. I think as long as I try to get the essence of the band I'm covering, each new assignment will bring new flavours and develop my skills. I will try to get more style from the original though.

AC/DC Chorus. 20 minutes (Total time 75):

Mertay told me about THIS software, very useful. Within a minute or so I had cracked it. I'm not saying I can play it as well as Angus or Malcolm but I know where it fits now. It sounded like there was a lot more strumming on the studio track which is why I was struggling to hear where the strumming pattern fitted. There are only 9 strums to the pattern and then it is repeated, it sounded a whole lot more to my ears for some reason unsure.gif What do you think about the SoundCloud take?
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/hth-chorus

Jack White Lesson. 20 minutes (Total time 90):

Slowly getting there, It took me a long long time to suss out bar 4, I know this is way way off the mark but I've put it up anyway, it's at 72bpm (80%). It's only the first 4 bars. What do you think?
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/jack-white

AC/DC Solo. 15 minutes (Total time this assignment 50, including last assignment 240):

Tried putting some double stops in and getting a more AC/DC feel. More than anything I run out of ideas.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 13 2016, 08:49 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 13 2016, 10:09 PM
Post #969

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, good job!

I've checked both soundcloud takes and I can say that you are on the right track with both tasks. The Jack White lesson obviously needs more work but you just need more days of practice.

I've checked that software, it's a good tool to isolate some tracks from mixes. This always helps! You can also check out some live videos to see how they play it live.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 14 2016, 09:51 PM
Post #970

Thanks Gab,

I know the Jack White needs a lot of work but I wanted to show you that I had sorted out my confusion with bar 4 rolleyes.gif By the way, the GP5 tab shows the same as the GMC tab BUT it isn't actually incorrect, it just doesn't match the video images, that's where i was over analysing it huh.gif

Hardly any time this evening, had to sort out some credit card issues mad.gif But that is the beauty of this new system, for me anyway, life only puts you back a little, it doesn't stress you out with GMC deadlines which puts me back more wink.gif

Only managed 20 minutes tonight, did a few rounds of Highway to Hell and a few goes at Jack White. Not really worth logging the time though, it wasn't focused.

Cheers Gab

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 15 2016, 06:17 AM
Post #971

Instructor
Group Icon

That's enough for a busy day mate. Good night friend. I hope that you can find more time tomorrow for guitar. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 15 2016, 10:00 PM
Post #972

Thanks Gab,

AC/DC 40 minutes. (Total accumulated time for all parts 3 hours)
Had a bit of a party with AC/DC tonight, playing the whole thing through and adding in the bridge which I mess up every time at the moment, it seems to come in out of nowhere laugh.gif I know it needs polishing a lot more but I've heard cover bands play out of time a little bit biggrin.gif This is quite a workout for my fingers but I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was a good bit of de-stressing after a nightmare of a day. I was just having fun and not caring too much about things biggrin.gif

As usual I'm panned left, I raised the envelope for the solo. There is some unwanted string noise but I damage some forearm muscles an fretting the chords is a little painful at the moment. What do you think?

For some reason this time SoundCloud has detected the track as an official track. Weird that it didn't before when I used the A=440 track huh.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRwPJhTCxRs

Jack White Lesson. 15 minutes (Total time 105):
Taking a while to get this one going. Hopefully now Highway to Hell is coming together I can dedicate more time to this. Tonight I neglected it a little because I was partying with ACDC smile.gif

Cheers Gab.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 16 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #973

Instructor
Group Icon

Nice Phil! I'm amazed every time I find a new update from you because you are a really hard worker. Also, that PM that you've send make me feel really happy for you.

This obviously has room for improvements, but it's rock and roll! Your take has energy, and your spirit sounds free when playing those solos, even at the end.

Keep on rocking.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 16 2016, 09:30 PM
Post #974

Thank you for you brilliant comments Gab,

Unfortunately no practise tonight, my mom was rushed back into hospital again, her pneumonia started up again, she has been released on strict instructions and medication, hopefully she will make a full recovery this time. Fingers crossed.

The main thing with that AC/DC take was that I thoroughly enjoyed it regardless of it not being anywhere near perfect. I've seen pub cover bands play it nearly as bad cool.gif My arm has been feeling a bit better today so hopefully tomorrow I can play those chords cleaner and mute the unwanted strings better. I'll keep polishing it until I get the Jack White lesson complete, I think by then it might be time for a fresh lesson to keep me motivated.

Cheers Gab.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 17 2016, 03:57 PM
Post #975

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, I'm sorry about your mom. I hope she gets better soon. All my best wishes.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 17 2016, 09:45 PM
Post #976

Thanks Gab,

She's quite poorly at the moment, she is 78 years old but she is a tough cookie. Worst part, there wasn't enough beds available in the hospital, they took her home last night. It is December here, it doesn't seem right to take an old woman out of a warm hospital, into the cold night air, into a warm ambulance and back in the cold night air to take her into her home when she has pneumonia. I hope it didn't put her back.
Last time she was rushed in at the end of September, the nurse said if she hadn't got there at that time, she would have died within 2 hours. Luckily this time it doesn't seem as bad as that.

I needed to de-stress tonight, with things how they are so I played Highway To Hell and Rock Steady a few times. I even played Highway To Hell standing up just to try it. I'm not logging times for Highway any longer as it just needs ongoing polishing.

If my mom improves I will feel more like concentrating on my proper lesson, life can be a sack of shit at times eh?

Thanks for your thoughts buddy.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 18 2016, 05:16 AM
Post #977

Instructor
Group Icon

I thought that this type of things only happened in countries like mine! I'm so sorry to know that the medical system is that poor and people who needs to stay at the hospital doesn't have a bed there. It's so sad.

All my positive thoughts go for your mother mate. Send her my warm greetings.

Try to stay relaxed and give here love. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 18 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #978

Thanks for your kind words Gab,

She is doing ok at the moment, I'm struggling to keep my mind on my proper lessons, I just feel I want to play Rock Steady and Highway To Hell over and over as they are like a meditation to me at the moment.

Cheers buddy.

UPDATE:

Hello Gab,

In the TAB below, when I play it, I tend to dampen all of the strings when I play the 12th fret part as you do in the slowed down example but, when you play the whole track at speed it sounds like the chord rings out. Is this just down to the backing or should it ring out?

|-3-| |-3-|  |-3-| |-3-|                      
Q Q S S S S S S S S S S S S W
-------0----12-0-0-0-0-0-12-0-0-0-0-0-|--0----------------|
-------0------------------------------|-------------------|
-------0------------------------------|-------------------|
-------2------------------------------|-------------------|
-------2------------------------------|-------------------|
--0-----------------------------------|-------------------|

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 19 2016, 09:17 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Nov 20 2016, 01:28 AM
Post #979

Instructor
Group Icon

Hi Phil, great to know that she is getting better!

There is an extra guitar in the main video as an effect. It's ok to mute the chord, it's the only way to do it, unless you have a double guitar.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Nov 20 2016, 10:03 PM
Post #980

Thanks Gab,

I did manage to find a way to let the strings ring out but obviously it's not the chord as you have to remove the fingers from the frets to hit the 12th fret. I strummed the chord removed my fingers and placed my right hand on the strings behind the bridge to do the picking of the open E.

No practise this evening, had lots of stuff I REALLY needed to do that I've been putting off for longer than I should. I really HATE missing a practise, I get quite irritable when I miss a session mad.gif

19th November Jack White Lesson. 35 minutes (Total time 140):
I've learned most of it now, roughly. The hard parts for me open E and 12th fret part after the Em chord and the double stops towards the end.
I've never used alternate picking on double stops, only ever down strokes but I'm getting better, just need time. It's also hard to remember that long sequence of double stops, the timing is tricky too, especially where you miss an upstroke to create that small gap. It's a great lesson though, really challenging. The other thing that I REALLY struggle with is getting to that 19th fret double stop in bar 14 blink.gif That's just a matter of training the hand for accuracy though.

Going to really try to dig deep this week after a poor week last week, mom isn't getting any worse so that's a positive.

Cheers Gab.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 20 2016, 10:17 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

69 Pages V  « < 47 48 49 50 51 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 02:10 PM