9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A G/mc Collab!, Fiercesome adrenaline pumping through your veins to the sound of ROCK
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 29 2015, 04:41 PM
Post #101

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

So do we have any new takes coming in?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
post Jan 29 2015, 09:27 PM
Post #102

Experienced Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 14.292

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 29 2015, 03:41 PM) *
So do we have any new takes coming in?

Yup smile.gif

Here's where Im at with my attempt -
https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/a-gmc-collab

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 29 2015, 09:39 PM
Post #103

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

Hello everyone,

Sorry I'm so late coming in on this, had a few life issues to deal with unsure.gif

Anyway, here is my first take, it's obviously pretty darn poor but I'm hoping you can help me to build on it. As I was just winging it you will hear a few places where I get a mental block rolleyes.gif But hey, this time last year I wouldn't have had the courage to put anything on here for anyone to listen to but now I'm open to anything cool.gif

My problem is I don't have many improvising hours under my fingers and I don't have much in the way of a lick library wink.gif

[attachment=40701:AGMC_colab29012015.wav]

Cheers all.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 30 2015, 09:13 AM

--------------------

AWARD

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 29 2015, 11:28 PM
Post #104

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 29 2015, 09:27 PM) *
Yup smile.gif

Here's where Im at with my attempt -
https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/a-gmc-collab

Awesome Bleez, this is super well constructed and sounding! You play within your range and this is always a wise move.

Somewhere around 00:27 is where I feel interest is dropping. But I think it is just a matter of you finishing your work in progress? (Don't let me bother ya biggrin.gif )

Let me know if you need some ideas from me? At this point (~00:27) it would be good to intensify things and bring the listener to a climax - pick more aggressively, higher pitch, faster/wider vibrato etc

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 29 2015, 11:54 PM
Post #105

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 29 2015, 09:39 PM) *
Hello everyone,

Sorry I'm so late coming in on this, had a few life issues to deal with unsure.gif

Anyway, here is my first take, it's obviously pretty darn poor but I'm hoping you can help me to build on it. As I was just winging it you will hear a few places where I get a mental block rolleyes.gif But hey, this time last year I wouldn't have had the courage to put anything on here for anyone to listen to but now I open to anything cool.gif

My problem is I don't have many improvising hours under my fingers and I don't have much in the way of a lick library wink.gif

[attachment=40701:AGMC_colab29012015.wav]

Cheers all.

Phil

Cool, this is very promising and you have already established the foundation of your take. It takes us from point A to point B already - and this is the whole purpose with guitar solos.

As you hinted you just need to refine your ideas to make them more interesting - but still keep the foundation. You start with well defined single note phrases, then some cool slides on the bridge section, and double stops on chorus - perfect!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 29 2015, 09:39 PM) *

BUT - I bet you have listened to music for a long time? That's what matters!

I suggest when practicing the solo, try *only* playing the parts you are happy with. Don't play anything over the sections where you feel you should come up with a better idea.

When I have done this a bunch of times, my brain starts suggesting different solutions (phrases). I guess my brain thinks guitarists should be playing all the time ph34r.gif

Anyway - what I end up playing is usually not what my brain heard, simply because I am not skilled enough to play exactly what I hear in my head. But I have come to realize this can be a good thing. Because when my physical limitations meet the boundless ideas of my brain - it forces me into new, unpredictable solutions. And that's what music should be about.

Let me know if this makes sense - and how it works out for you.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Procyon
post Jan 30 2015, 03:40 PM
Post #106

GMC:er

Member No.: 2.372

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 28 2015, 11:02 PM) *
Hehe thanks man! Someone told me the only thing lacking is my dance...so maybe I should have some of that in the next vid biggrin.gif

If you want to get into this style (which I call groovy shred) these two lessons cover similar licks. The idea is not (necessarily) to learn the entire solos, but instead grab bits here and there to enhance your own playing. And I think you will be able to make use of it in your style (which is already awesome btw!)

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bouncy-Fun-Lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/lesson-no-1000/

These two lessons are awesome! Yet a bit too high for my level but as you mentioned I will grab some licks and ideas - thanks a lot!

And next video with dance please - can't wait to see it! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
post Jan 30 2015, 06:40 PM
Post #107

Experienced Tone Seeker

Member No.: 14.292

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 29 2015, 10:28 PM) *
Awesome Bleez, this is super well constructed and sounding! You play within your range and this is always a wise move.

Somewhere around 00:27 is where I feel interest is dropping. But I think it is just a matter of you finishing your work in progress? (Don't let me bother ya biggrin.gif )

Let me know if you need some ideas from me? At this point (~00:27) it would be good to intensify things and bring the listener to a climax - pick more aggressively, higher pitch, faster/wider vibrato etc

thanks dude smile.gif I hear what you are saying, I'll try to knock it up a notch from the 27 second mark cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 31 2015, 04:30 PM
Post #108

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Anyone else wants to give this one a go?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
post Jan 31 2015, 07:35 PM
Post #109

Group Icon

Group: GMC Senior
Member No.: 6.517

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 31 2015, 04:30 PM) *
Anyone else wants to give this one a go?

I'll have mine up tomorrow!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 31 2015, 08:56 PM
Post #110

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 31 2015, 07:35 PM) *
I'll have mine up tomorrow!!
biggrin.gif

Great - looking forward to it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rhida
post Feb 1 2015, 07:58 AM
Post #111

Member No.: 19.985

My take now after some work on my timing issues with my friends Gab and Dieterle! smile.gif
Attached File(s)
Attached File  collab_full.mp3 ( 642.04K ) Number of downloads: 131
Attached File  collab_guitar_only.wav ( 10.35MB ) Number of downloads: 26

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 1 2015, 02:39 PM
Post #112

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rhida @ Feb 1 2015, 07:58 AM) *
My take now after some work on my timing issues with my friends Gab and Dieterle! smile.gif

Exellent Rhida, this is probably the best take I have ever heard from you! At several occasions you play in time - and when you do you stand a chance you build melody. And as I have always said, your solo construction skills are good. But you need to get the basics down before those ideas will tranlsate into music.

You need to continue the "ground work" you are currently doing with Gab (thread). If you keep being as serious as you have been the last weeks to improve this, I think we might be looking at just 1-3 months and you will be able to start submitting musical, and enjoyable takes.

I have been monitoring your progress, and currently you do nail the quarter notes but the 8th are too fast for you to play them evenly. There is absolutely no other way to solve this than to decrease speed *substantially* and then gradually build up. Gab will get back to you about this.

Please keep it up! If you do, I predict you will be one of the coolest success stories here! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rhida
post Feb 1 2015, 03:59 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 19.985

Thanks Kris for your support and kind words.
Much appreciated here! wink.gif
I will definitely keep working on my skills with my great mentor Gab!

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Feb 1 2015, 07:34 PM
Post #114

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 5.298

Here's another take. Might be my final take...we'll see.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Take_2.mp3 ( 791.16K ) Number of downloads: 67
Attached File  Take_2_no_backing.mp3 ( 791.16K ) Number of downloads: 21

--------------------

+Quote Post
lothomer
post Feb 1 2015, 09:11 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 17.305

Hi there ACDC collab mates, here comes my quick take for the collab. ACDC fun stuff.
After beeing back home late last night and a lot of coffee (i mean a lot) this morning
here comes my quick take for the ACDC collab.

Equipment used
Tube Thomsen 5161 40 Combo, Channel II
Bogner Harlow Compressor as boost.
Guitar: Lipe Ivo HB

Hope that'll work for you

Keep on rockin!
Attached File  ACDC_Collab_MIX.wav ( 13.46MB ) Number of downloads: 145
Attached File  Guitartrack_solo.wav ( 3.53MB ) Number of downloads: 22
Che
erz
Olli

This post has been edited by lothomer: Feb 1 2015, 10:44 PM

--------------------
Never too old to rock!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 1 2015, 11:46 PM
Post #116

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 1 2015, 07:34 PM) *
Here's another take. Might be my final take...we'll see.

Yeah!! This one put a smile on my face. Though your take is very metal sounding, there are bluesier/groovier insinuations in there - and that mix of styles is right up my alley.

The structure here is catchy and cool. I would probably think more about the ending (starting 00:28) and possibly get a bit more melodic during the chorus (starting at 00:18) and have less shred there.

Also - I think an important long term goal for you is to work on your vibrato, this will lift your playing to a whole new level. Better vibrato is needed both in this and your previous take.

Also I feel this take had a better connection with the track rhythmically, well done! However I must say I also miss the tone and the ideas (starting 00:14) from your previous take - it had some fresh ideas.

Argh I want to have my cake and eat it... but don't know if it's possible in Denmark. ph34r.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (lothomer @ Feb 1 2015, 09:11 PM) *
Hi there ACDC collab mates, here comes my quick take for the collab. ACDC fun stuff.
After beeing back home late last night and a lot of coffee (i mean a lot) this morning
here comes my quick take for the ACDC collab.

Equipment used
Tube Thomsen 5161 40 Combo, Channel II
Bogner Harlow Compressor as boost.
Guitar: Lipe Ivo HB

Hope that'll work for you

Keep on rockin!
Attached File  ACDC_Collab_MIX.wav ( 13.46MB ) Number of downloads: 145
Attached File  Guitartrack_solo.wav ( 3.53MB ) Number of downloads: 22
Che
erz
Olli

Awesome to hav you in Olli! biggrin.gif

Your tone is amazing! However, in your rakes I can hear some (cool!) bass-heavy chugging. This sounds brutal when soloing the guitar but it usually makes it harder to fit lead guitar in the mix (though it can work with rhythm guitar in some cases). This might be the reason why your guitar is sort of sitting above the mix.

No urgent need to fix this though, as it can be done "in the mix" with decent results.

You solo construction is great and the way you balance the use of those bluesy notes is sooo tasty, very well done! The only thing that stood out in a negative way was the timing of the first (bent) note of the chorus (starting 00:17-00:18). I think you played it earlier than intended.

All in all this is a great take - I'll leave it up to you if you want to polish more!

--------------------

+Quote Post
lothomer
post Feb 2 2015, 12:03 AM
Post #117

Member No.: 17.305

Awesome to hav you in Olli! biggrin.gif

Your tone is amazing! However, in your rakes I can hear some (cool!) bass-heavy chugging. This sounds brutal when soloing the guitar but it usually makes it harder to fit lead guitar in the mix (though it can work with rhythm guitar in some cases). This might be the reason why your guitar is sort of sitting above the mix.

No urgent need to fix this though, as it can be done "in the mix" with decent results.

You solo construction is great and the way you balance the use of those bluesy notes is sooo tasty, very well done! The only thing that stood out in a negative way was the timing of the first (bent) note of the chorus (starting 00:17-00:18). I think you played it earlier than intended.

All in all this is a great take - I'll leave it up to you if you want to polish more!
[/quote]

Hi Kristofer,
thank you. The recording was done in the rehearsal room of my band - directly out of the FOH System, didn't care to much about the bass this morning. I can try to redo the recording more properly during the week. This just a matter of time (between family, company and rehearsals).

--------------------
Never too old to rock!

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Feb 2 2015, 06:16 PM
Post #118

Learning Rock Star

Thanks for the comments, Kris. I do realize I'm more of a metal guy than AC/DC rock, and it reflects in my next take as well, which when I listen back to it, it doesn't seem like it knows if it wants to be metal or rock. Let me know what you think. I also changed the tone a bit:

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Take_3_with_backing.mp3 ( 791.16K ) Number of downloads: 45
Attached File  Take_3_without_backing.mp3 ( 791.16K ) Number of downloads: 21

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Feb 2 2015, 11:22 PM
Post #119

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 2 2015, 06:16 PM) *
Thanks for the comments, Kris. I do realize I'm more of a metal guy than AC/DC rock, and it reflects in my next take as well, which when I listen back to it, it doesn't seem like it knows if it wants to be metal or rock. Let me know what you think. I also changed the tone a bit:

Very nice, I think you fixed both of these:

I would probably think more about the ending (starting 00:28) and possibly get a bit more melodic during the chorus (starting at 00:18) and have less shred there.

I got an idea related to my previous comment:

Also - I think an important long term goal for you is to work on your vibrato, this will lift your playing to a whole new level. Better vibrato is needed both in this and your previous take.

Instead of thinking long term bla bla goal, what if you just think of vibrato here as bending a half step up and down with eighth note timing?

Does that make sense? If you try it, how does it sound?

To start off, you could do it with quarter note timing if that feels easier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Feb 2 2015, 11:54 PM
Post #120

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 3 2015, 12:22 AM) *
Very nice, I think you fixed both of these:

I got an idea related to my previous comment:

Instead of thinking long term bla bla goal, what if you just think of vibrato here as bending a half step up and down with eighth note timing?

Does that make sense? If you try it, how does it sound?

To start off, you could do it with quarter note timing if that feels easier.

It's just been ages since I worked on my vibrato, but it's something I'd definitely like to work on. The way I think about it is pretty much this:

I'm just not very good at it, mind you.

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2017 - 07:45 AM