9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A G/mc Collab!, Fiercesome adrenaline pumping through your veins to the sound of ROCK
Huargo
post Jan 25 2015, 01:26 AM
Post #81

Tone Seeker

Group: Members
Member No.: 18.287

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 24 2015, 11:20 PM) *
Hey Huargo - in this case I think it's obvious you have a different vision that us (Gab and me). Because I find your previous take better than these two - and this usually happens when we're working in a direction we do not really believe in.

You do touch upon some cliché licks in the chorus of the second take, but again I can hear it is not really what you want to play there.

So what do? Well - be yourself! After all, this is music and all we can do as instructors is to pep you to be yourself. We really shouldn't try to change your direction. I think you are hearing somethign very specific over this backing which we don't.

You are being very adventurous in your style and it's clear you have a beast within you, and when you have learned to tame it you will scare us all! biggrin.gif I think you are going a straight path towards originality, so please just keep going!

I will let you decide if you want to tweak this any further or keep your original take.

Jajajaja ok still time to make more takes.
I like know your opinions about the solos and i think it's good try diferents things. The final result it's not the only important thing here IMO. I like to test things and learn. Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vinman56
post Jan 25 2015, 02:44 AM
Post #82

Learning Rock Star

Member No.: 20.614

ok same deal its sloppy but this is my second take. i changed the second half just looking for opinions on it before i do the final take...which will be clean of course lol

QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Jan 25 2015, 01:36 AM) *
ok same deal its sloppy but this is my second take. i changed the second half just looking for opinions on it before i do the final take...which will be clean of course lol

just to let you know btw i ust listened to it and the timing is off a bit. i used that MTSR app on my phone butwhen i mixed the tracks together i think they shifted somehow. try to ignore the off time if you can thanks
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Colab_Take_Two_mix.m4a ( 618.22K ) Number of downloads: 67

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 25 2015, 02:36 PM
Post #83

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Jan 25 2015, 02:44 AM) *

just to let you know btw i ust listened to it and the timing is off a bit. i used that MTSR app on my phone butwhen i mixed the tracks together i think they shifted somehow. try to ignore the off time if you can thanks

Excellent, now the second half of the solo sounds really good as well. You have effectively nailed the structure! biggrin.gif

I do hear the off time problem, the whole take is ahead of the beat (which drags down the general impression).

The off time excepted, I get the impression you play really well here. The only thing that stood out to me was a note at 00:34 which sound a little off pitch wise. I can't really comment on your timing because of the off time problem.

Very well done! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Procyon
post Jan 25 2015, 03:34 PM
Post #84

GMC:er

Member No.: 2.372

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 24 2015, 11:20 PM) *
Wow hard to give anything but praise here. Energy and tone is awesome. And this kind of picking tone is what you get when you dig deep into the strings (opposite of the kind of motion used for speed picking) - and it's soo tasty (Clapton and Eric Johnson are two examples of this kind of picking).

Your tone is gorgeous and has an elastic feel, what gear did you use?

There are some technical stuff you could improve, but I wouldn't really go in and mess with such a cool take if I were you.

There are some places where hand sync could be improved (when you play faster). It can be heard because when you nail the sync you have awesome picking tone (as mentioned above), one example at 00:05 (it's very subtle)

At 00:16 and possibly 00:31 we can hear missed notes.

Your vibrato is on the 'narrow' side, but it sounds perfect for this style. For a more ballad kind of solo I would go for something wider, but that is definitely off topic!

As you can hear, I cant really say anything else to say but bravo! biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot Kris for your feedback - I really appreciate it! You're always doing a great job analyzing our takes and pointing out what and where to improve - I really learn a lot just by reading your suggestions not only concerning my own takes. Of course I will try to eliminate those weaker parts and hopefully upload the final version in some days.

For this take I used my Gibson SG Future Tribute and some slightly modified virtual amp in Garage Band (connected by a Presonus Audiobox USB Interface).

@ Huargo: Thank you! And I really like your takes (especially the first one) with your unconventional approach - it's amazing!

+Quote Post
Vinman56
post Jan 25 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #85

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 25 2015, 01:36 PM) *
Excellent, now the second half of the solo sounds really good as well. You have effectively nailed the structure! biggrin.gif

I do hear the off time problem, the whole take is ahead of the beat (which drags down the general impression).

The off time excepted, I get the impression you play really well here. The only thing that stood out to me was a note at 00:34 which sound a little off pitch wise. I can't really comment on your timing because of the off time problem.

Very well done! biggrin.gif

Thank you i spent the whole day learning Angus young solos for inspiration. ill get to work on my final take

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 25 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #86

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Jan 25 2015, 09:01 PM) *
Thank you i spent the whole day learning Angus young solos for inspiration.

Hehe excellent strategy. That's the kind of stuff we tend to do when working with others (in a collab, band etc) - and this is why our collaborations are so important!

QUOTE (Procyon @ Jan 25 2015, 03:34 PM) *
For this take I used my Gibson SG Future Tribute and some slightly modified virtual amp in Garage Band (connected by a Presonus Audiobox USB Interface).

Cool to know this software is so capable. And the fact that everyone with a mac has access to it, makes it even better!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 26 2015, 01:34 PM
Post #87

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

I just realised the backing track does not start precisely on bar 1 beat 1. So if you had problems playing the backing with the metronome in your DAW this could be the explanation.

I would suggest everyone uses this fixed backing track instead. Thanks - and sorry for the inconvenience!

PS I am currently trying to record my own take, and I am really inspired by what you guys came up with! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinman56
post Jan 26 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #88

Learning Rock Star

hey kris, you metioned to me about doing multiple takes playing the same thing to beef it up. the ending solo of walk this way by aerosmith would be an example of that correct? like thats the sound you want me to replicate?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 26 2015, 10:38 PM
Post #89

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Jan 26 2015, 10:10 PM) *
hey kris, you metioned to me about doing multiple takes playing the same thing to beef it up. the ending solo of walk this way by aerosmith would be an example of that correct? like thats the sound you want me to replicate?

I checked this version out and I couldn't hear any obvious mutiple takes.

Check out this tune with Ben and me and you will find a lot of layering, for example the sections starting at 2:18 and 4:16

Do you see what I mean? Several guitars are playing both harmonies and in unison.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Beat Zbinden
post Jan 27 2015, 02:49 PM
Post #90

Experienced Rock Star

Member No.: 16.806

My third version!
I think this is the finish version!!
Attached File(s)
Attached File  AC_MC_Collab_Guitar_only.mp3 ( 815.73K ) Number of downloads: 56
Attached File  AC_MC_Collab.mp3 ( 825.43K ) Number of downloads: 71

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 27 2015, 04:27 PM
Post #91

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Beat Zbinden @ Jan 27 2015, 02:49 PM) *
My third version!
I think this is the finish version!!

Excellent Beat, this sounds great and you have effectively fixed these two comments:

00:19 - bend feels a little late, or was this on purpose?
00:28 missed note

Well done! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneT95
post Jan 27 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #92

Member No.: 4.701

Well its been a while. Starting to play with a purpose again after a fair long time. Here is my take. I got a bit lazy figuring out how to get a good take in my DAW and never got up to fetch a pick. I didn't like some parts of a mediocre tone...... And somehow, after I listened to it, I comped a likeness to an original line. Not really intended. Musta been in my subconscious as I tried call up some Angus spirit.

With Backing
https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/acdc1-gt2/s-4toXX

And without
https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/acdc1-gtraw2/s-jsVin

This post has been edited by GeneT95: Jan 27 2015, 11:43 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 28 2015, 09:57 AM
Post #93

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Jan 27 2015, 11:34 PM) *
Well its been a while. Starting to play with a purpose again after a fair long time. Here is my take. I got a bit lazy figuring out how to get a good take in my DAW and never got up to fetch a pick. I didn't like some parts of a mediocre tone...... And somehow, after I listened to it, I comped a likeness to an original line. Not really intended. Musta been in my subconscious as I tried call up some Angus spirit.

With Backing
https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/acdc1-gt2/s-4toXX

And without
https://soundcloud.com/shallowlines/acdc1-gtraw2/s-jsVin

Hey Gene - awesome to have you in!! biggrin.gif

This is a cool take with a musical structure, you also have some interesting phrasing going on (particularly in the beginning). Some comments:

* The beginning (and ending) is always super important - and the very first note you play is off timing wise, you play it slightly too late. This can be ok if done purposely, but your note is too close to the beat to be perceived as played there on purpose.

* Your timing is better in the first part, than in the chorus (starting at 00:19) - this might be because your chorus lead is played faster and therefor requires more practicing. This is a general comment for the whole second part - and since you nail the first section I would assume all you need is more practicing time.

Your tone sounds fine to me, though possible tweaks could be:

* This tone is pretty "warm" (without too much treble/top end) - I personally love this kind of sound but it can have problems 'cutting through' when there are treblish rhythm guitars in the mix. So what usually happens is that we try to compensate for this by turning the volume of the guitar lead up, and this usually ruins the mix and general impression. So the general rule is for treblish (rock/metal) backings, we also need to treblish lead tone.

This backing track does not have an extreme amount of top end, but still enough. I want to clarify that as long a student takes are somewhat in the ballbark (which you are), then EQ problems can be fixed in the mix easily.

For those wondering - treblish = lots of treble. Did I just make up a word? ph34r.gif

* Try adding more gain and see if you like it, it can give a smoother flow to the faster passages.

All in all - very well done and great to have you on board! Please let me know if this makes sense (perhaps I got a bit technical with all the 'treble' talk?)

--------------------

+Quote Post
GeneT95
post Jan 28 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 4.701

Hey Kris, Thanks for the comments.

Yeah I missed the first beat. I think I short tracked it......meaning I didn't let the backing track start from the very beginning and probably got caught. I did, though, play off the first beat in the ending, near 0.32. I think somewhere 'around' the snare, ?second beat. In any case, although I thought it gave a somewhat slowing/retarding sound into the finish, it was forced and didn't turn out as well as I would like. I need some practice in my DAW, so I'll probably practice some punch in/out recording and overdub that section with some different 'feels' and structure change, but I wanted to submit a one shot take rather than carving out what I didn't like.

As far as the tone, I'm in transition with gear, so I pretty much recorded a cleanish guitar into the DAW and used a free distortion plugin. Honestly, it was awful. The high end alone was enough to cause seizures. So, using the free amp tonestack, I pushed the mids and dropped some bass and treble then added them back in with a 8 band eq plugin positioned after the distortion plugin. I couldn't add more gain even though I knew the notes did not have a more(better) fluid nature. More gain with my setup was definitely undesirable. So I added a smidge of delay (75msec at about 15%) and even less reverb at 7% with a somewhat small room setting.

As far as cutting, I did (although not sure if that is allowed) increase the volume of the backing track slightly in the second part, having it rise and impart more energy into the section with the solo. And I thought the cymbals/snare and perhaps the rhythm guitar was fairly bright, so instead of adding to it with a brighter solo, I tried to give the solo guitar its own place in the mix with a higher midrange tone. That and too much treble via headphones starts to make my brain bleed after a while.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 28 2015, 05:36 PM
Post #95

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (GeneT95 @ Jan 28 2015, 04:43 PM) *
(although not sure if that is allowed)

Anything but dynamite is ok to use here!! ph34r.gif ph34r.gif Thanks for a cool reply!

I think your sound should work in the final mix!

I recorded my take! I was inspired by all your creative takes (use of double stops, weird note choice etc) - and I also tried to add some new ideas like the use of whammy bar on the bridge section.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
post Jan 28 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 12.764

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 28 2015, 11:36 AM) *
Anything but dynamite is ok to use here!! ph34r.gif ph34r.gif Thanks for a cool reply!

I recorded my take! I was inspired by all your creative takes (use of double stops, weird note choice etc) - and I also tried to add some new ideas like the use of whammy bar on the bridge section.

*Sets the guitar down and walks away*

Welp I'm done! This is just flat out incredible!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG920QM (Black Ice) , Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez RG470XL (Black Perl) , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Kemper Profiling Amp , Mesa Mark 5:25

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Nick6373
post Jan 28 2015, 07:30 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 20.551

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 28 2015, 04:36 PM) *

Wow, awesome job Kristofer!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 28 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #98

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

Hehe thanks guys, and I certainly hope there will be no putting down guitars because of my take. You are all guilty as I got my inspiration when commenting your takes! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Procyon
post Jan 28 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 2.372

@Kris: biggrin.gif biggrin.gif This really made me laugh - you're one crazy guy for sure! I wish I could play like this... Awesome take!!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
post Jan 28 2015, 11:02 PM
Post #100

GMC Founder & Rocker
Group Icon

QUOTE (Procyon @ Jan 28 2015, 08:52 PM) *
@Kris: biggrin.gif biggrin.gif This really made me laugh - you're one crazy guy for sure! I wish I could play like this... Awesome take!!!

Hehe thanks man! Someone told me the only thing lacking is my dance...so maybe I should have some of that in the next vid biggrin.gif

If you want to get into this style (which I call groovy shred) these two lessons cover similar licks. The idea is not (necessarily) to learn the entire solos, but instead grab bits here and there to enhance your own playing. And I think you will be able to make use of it in your style (which is already awesome btw!)

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bouncy-Fun-Lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/lesson-no-1000/

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 05:03 PM